Brisas Sierra Mar

3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Carretera a Chivirico Km 60, Guama, Cuba, Caribbean

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Brisas Sierra Mar

Looking for a quiet, relaxing place - this is it

My wife and I along with one other couple spent from March 18-March 25 2004 at the Brisas Los Galeones in Santiago de Cuba. We had a great time and would highly recommend the resort to those looking for something very quiet and relaxing. The resort was very quiet with only 16 people there the week we were down (It only has 32 rooms to begin with). The staff were incredibly helpful and fun and made our experience there outstanding. The beach area was not good for swimming (sea urchings and grasses plus coral) but was great for snorkelling and just relaxing, but be warned it is 290+ steps down to the beach, let's just say you don't want to forget anything in your room. There was a small pool, games room, and exercise room. The jacuzzi was great and available whenever we wanted to use it. The food was average but good (some things seem very hard to get in Cuba). There were few programs or activities available at the Los Galeones but we had access to the sister resort Brisas Sierra Mar only 15 minutes away. A shuttle would run back and forth four or five times a day and there were many more activities and restaurants available there. We went Scuba diving and horse back riding. Also included in our package from Alba tours was an overnight stay in a mountain lodge. It was a 3 1/2 hour drive each way and we were only there from suppertime (a pig roast) until after a nature walk and breakfast the next morning, then it was back onto the bus for a 3 1/2 hour drive back. It was worth seeing once, but I probably wouldn't do it again. Overall, we had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go back there again. Next time we will probably try one of the resorts in a more tourist area of the country.

Snorkelling at Sierra Mar

by RickL

I waited patiently for my 'free' scuba lesson which never materialized at the Sierra Mar resort as the instructors were more interested in playing dominoes when not taking a boatload of experienced divers out for a tour to get tips. So I decided to snorkel around the reefs near Santiago and I found out that the fish found me to be just as interesting as I was to them. I liked all of them, too, except the baracuda. On some of the public access beaches west of Santiago the reefs are within 50 meters and in water so shallow you can walk out to them! Otherwise you can just explore the rocky outcroppings and probably encounter abundant sealife. The little fish are very brave and will swim with you but larger ones like the puffers will remain quite shy. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life coming face to face with sea life I had only seen on T.V. or a dinner plate! This is a must see event to add to your Cuba experience and life memories.
However, some of the dangers are 1) DON'T wear any jewelry or you will attract the attention of baracudas like I did! 2) wear swim fins because the sea urchin have very sharp spikes and hide amoungst the thick flowing seaweed 3) wear a T-shirt so your exposed back won't get sunburned and 4) remeber the basic rule 'touch nothing!' I tried to steady myself and reached out to grab a 'rock' which was actually a stonefish, not deadly but does contain some venom and really looks like a stone! Fortunately he chose to move away.

It changed my life for ever...

My stay at the then Delta Sierra Mar Resort , in Stgo de Cuba, Cuba, was truly a trip which changed my life for ever...

For it was in Feb 1997, that I met my wife at the resort. What makes the place more special?, she was a worker at the resort.

Get's better every time!!

by TripAdvisor Member Robin Hung

I just returned from my seventh trip to the Sierra Mar and it get's better every time I return. I always thought everything was good before but now it's GREAT! We just got back and are already planning our next trip six months from now. Fantastic!

Our Home in Cuba

January was our 6th visit in 6 years to Sierra Mar, are you begining to see how much we enjoy this place ?? The staff are marvelous and now old friends, many have been there since our first visit. The food is good, not excellent, but good and there is plenty of it. The rooms and general accomodation are good, not excellent, but good, and clean. The beach is OK,some weed and not too big,BUT you can snorkel to 3 or 4 reefs within 100 metres of the beach...!!! There is always lots to do OR not, whichever you prefer. The hotel sends a bus load of us tourists to play baseball against the local village every Tuesday, great fun.
The Hotel is set in several acres of Parklike land, and is surrounded by the Sierra Maistra mountains. We are 20 minutes from the nearest village,Chivirico and 90 minutes from the city of Santiago de Cuba. I highly recomend you try it...!!! dave

absolutely_wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member Kimi

We just got back from this resort and we're already missing it! At first I really didn't like the rooms, too simple and small for a 4 start resort. The beach also isn't the Caribean white sand beach you see in other parts of Cuba. However the scenery is simply breathtaking, the resort area is beautiful. There is enough to do (organized activities), but not too much for somebody just wanting to get away.
Resort staff is great, we made great friends as did everyone else. Food was excellent, lots of choices at the buffett. Bartenders were VERY generous with the drinks as well. I had tears in my eyes as we said goodbye. Eventhough we never go to the same resort twice, we will definitely be going back to Sierra Mar...

to Las Galeiones from La Salle (Windsor) Ontario

by TripAdvisor Member EllaWalker

Las Galeones is a 32 room hotel located on the top of a hill looking out onto the ocean. Adults only. The hotel is clean and the staff is very friendly and eager to please. This is CUBA though - there is an imbargo so don't expect access to food and shopping like you get at home.
By the time we were ready to leave we had made friends with people that we have booked trips back with and also met friends there who were repeaters.
February 2004 was our 6th trip and it felt like going home. The freedom we have in Cuba is amazing and the locals that we have gotten to know are wonderful. We walk down the street in Chiverico and people call out our names and say hi. Because the country and the people are so derpived I keep a list of things that people need and when I go back each year I take things with me. The people are so grateful - but don't beg. My husband is a amateur photographer and takes family pictures for the locals. Can you imagine not being able to get your kids pictures taken? I can't.
The snorkelling at Las Galeones is the best.
Las Galeones is a sister hotel to Sierra Mar. While staying at Las Galeones which is private we have full access to all of the amenities at Sierra Mar which is a 15 minute ride away. Shuttle service is free.

Buyer Beware!

Watch out folks! This resort is overbooking itself, so you may be coming to Santiago only to find out they've re-directed you to a lowered-rated resort such as Club Bucanero (but that's another story).
We arrived Feb20th for a week and were shipped to Bucanero where I wouldn't send my dog to! There were 22 of us that this happened to, so this was no accident! When my wife and I booked, 5 days before, my agent said only one room was left at Sierra Mar. In hindsight this should have raised the alarm bells. Unfortunately, we never even saw this resort (though I've heard good comments). As compensation they gave us a lobster dinner, a trip into the city, and $150US (that we still haven't seen, yet). All in all we had a very, very dissappointing holiday. We will never go back to Santiago de Cuba for a holiday and we will never use this hotel change in the future.

The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return!!

I have been cruising this site, it is interesting to see what people are saying about my favorite resort! The Brisas/Delta Sierra Mar. Call it by either name. You will get a place that is caressed by cool breezes, warm sun and staff that is outstanding. I have fallen in love with this resort, and more importantly, the people that work at this resort. They are hard workers, and will do what ever it takes to make you happy. A blessing in this cruel world of ours! Every evening I came home to a cool room with a beautiful gift made out of my bedspread. The food sustained me, the drink refreshed me, the music calmed my soul.
What else could you want from a holiday. The entertainment filled my heart with laughter and wonder, and the scuba diving was phenomenal!!!!
It is always easy to belittle a resort, anyone can do that. I will be back again next February for Valentines Day. It is a very special day there, and I plan to be a part of it! If you would like more info, please do not hesitate to email me.

Was a mistake

Just back from Brisas Siera Mar. Yes, it?s 10 years old hotel, but cat?s years. Not even one single fixed in rooms for 10 years. Don?t believe me, so go to the Brisas Santa Lucia (Camaguey) and compare it. Same brand ?Brisas?, same owner ?Cubanacan?, but what is the huge difference. People a friendly. Ha-ha. Rent a scooter and go to the nearest city. When did you fill yourself as a spy between enemies? Stuff is friendly in 70%. Yes, I did expect Cubanacan?s fore stars, but even on my opinion it?s only 3 stars and may be 2 ? real one. Talk to many visitors in my group and seems like nobody is going back in that resort. Seems like all ?returning back? visitors have never visited others place in Cuba. Yes, Caribbean Sea is warm and beautiful, mountains are gorges, but there is nothing to do with hotel, it?s management and local people. Beach is the worst I?ve ever seen in Caribbean, only one plus: you could snorkel right from the beach, but only two days it was clear water, rest of days ? sand made it almost zero visibility. Yes Santiago is the place must visit it once in your life and no more. Are you ready to watch your wallet all the time and say ?no? every five steps? ?I don?t need cigars; I don?t need the best place in your restaurant, I don?t need a guide?. It?s still safe place, but not like people described it couple years before. And don?t stay on the main square (where is the oldest cathedral) till dark with kids. Did you see Pride parade in Toronto or Love parade in Berlin? Well people have fan, right? There it?s fanny business. You could bee shocked. At least I?ve been satisfied visiting old fortress. Only 3 like that one in the word and two are in Cuba (Havana and Santiago). I?ve got one more advice during my vacation: not to go to resorts where 100% Cuban management are. I?ll try to go to resorts under Spanish or Italian management next time. Cubanacan is better only in one thing: night entertainment. But as a tourist you are free to go to the neighbor hotel to see a night show for one hour (of course no free drink for you). One more thing? In the Brisas Siera Mar security watch for you not to bring you girls into room, not for your stuff. If something has been stolen be ready that police will If something has been stolen be ready that police officer would turn it against you or member of your family (in my case my wife). I was laughing in his face. I?ve seen so many things that nothing could surprise me (almost nothing). Can you say it about yourself? Thanks god, I paid a little price, it could be worse. Hope nothing happened to you.

Is there ocean fishing available??

by jjocko

OK, so I've got the tourist card figured out. And since i can't seem to connect to any Casa's via the internet it looks like I'll book the first few nights in a hotel and then look for a Casa once I'm there. My dad like to fish, is it possible to book a fishing trip out of Holguin or Santiago De Cuba? Any idea on prices or leads?

by Darkwind

There are few places to fish in havana and santaclara but no idea if Santiago or Holguin I will find out and let U know.Tell me where do U need a casa particular and U I will help U find one,with no comition ,I'm Cuban and I live in Spain now ,ut I sued to work as tourleader in cuba so any ?
I will try to help
U
yours
D

by AnjaV

For a casa e-mail Pototo:
pototo1956@yahoo.com.mx

As for fishing:

Many harbors have their own fishing excursions, just check out a harbor in the neigborhood of your staying.

by Bill&Donna

Hi my wife and i fish in many areas of Cuba. Guadalavaca 250 U S half day deep sea for tuna sail fish dorado baracuda wahoo spanish mackrel . If you are in guadalavaca go to one of the dive centers and leave word that you want to talk to Xavier . WE make arrangements with him to take us out to the reef in the dive boat from 7 am to 9:30 for 30 U S a day. bring your own gear. In Chiverico outside Santiago de Cuba price was aboutthe same 260 for 1/2 day deep sea . If you talk to Edgar at the Sierra Mar dive center he can take you out in the dive boat for 75 for 4 hrs . Cayo Guillermo 250 1/2 day deep sea . Fishing from the bridge is excelent no cost bring your own gear. Red snapper to 15 lbs cudas and parmit. Jibacoa 60 km from Havana fish from shore at mouth of Jibacoa river for snapper baracuda grouper There is an old warf that attracts the fish . There is a small village Santa Cruze ,that is mostly fishermen you might be able to go out with some of them cost will be by agreement. Tight lines and good luck.

Fish Cuba Forums @ CubaMania

by cubado

check out CubaMania's FishCuba forum....

many questions...many answers. The first and only fishing in Cuba forum.

cut and paste this link !

Tight lines !!

ps. dont forget to VOTE in CubaMania's CUBA PHOTO CONTEST!!

new CUBA PHOTO CONTEST STARTS APRIL 1ST !!

Comments