Cuba Hotels

• CEP1863 profile photo CEP1863
  • Reviews: 213

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ambos Mundos: Charming hotel

I chose to stay at this hotel for three nights on the Havana part of my holiday in Cuba. The main reason for this choice was the literary links to Hemingway, who stayed here and wrote the majority of his book For Whom the Bell Tolls. The other reason was the location as Ambos Mundos is situated in the old part of Havana, very close to the Plaza de Armas and a perfect base for exploring the area on foot.

Check-in was very smooth and reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. I really liked my room which was small but very clean and furnished in keeping with the period of the hotel. The room rate included breakfast and this was fresh but basic and served on the rooftop terrace which was a lovely way to start the day with the views across the city. The room where Hemingway stayed is now a museum and at times thus makes the hotel very busy with many tourists just visiting the hotel to see this.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here. It is a hotel that us steeped in history and I loved the huge foyer and bar, dripping with atmosphere, its open windows letting in the light, music and bustle of Havana's streets.

Literary connection to Hemingway.
Good central location.
Rooftop restaurant.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Women's Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written December 27, 2013
Tip Photo

Hotel Ambos Mundos

• davidvidgen profile photo davidvidgen
  • Reviews: 7

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

ClubHotel Riu Bambu: ClubHotel Riu Bambu

I stayed here in 2011 on an all inclusive package. It was a last minute booking with just a guarantee of a 5* hotel (unnamed). I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at this hotel. I paid £500 per person for a weeks all inclusive package.

Absolutely fantastic hotel with excellent rooms and food.

This is the second best hotel I have probably stayed in behind the Grosvenor House Hotel, Dubai.

Outstanding beach, good pool, excellent food. Entertainment was very good.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Water Sports, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written December 14, 2012

• angelcat555 profile photo angelcat555
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Melia Cayo Santa Maria: Warning - molested in spa massage treatment

WARNING!!!!!!!!!
I was sexually molested at the Spa at Melia Caya S. Maria!
Sadly this was my Christmas getaway - Dec 20-27, 2007

I was too scared to file a complaint while I was there as I was a woman traveling alone (which the abuser made sure he knew) and I didn't know what would happen. I had heard stories of things happening in Cuba and nothing is done, I feared having to face the guy again and nothing being done and still having the rest of the week there with him knowing my room #.

Service was terrible, I kept getting locked out of my room, didn't have hot water all week, ignored in restaurants, food was bad, some staff were rude, etc.
The whole week was a horrible situation and I have had to deal with healing from the trauma for the last 3 months since my return.

I have filed many complaints with Air Transat and the hotel and no one seems to care. Hotel basically said the staff is professional and this never happens and Air Transat says its not their area since the spa is under the hotel. I should have complained while I was there, but given the horrible treatment I have received during the trip and upon my return I doubt anything would have happened there either.

So all I can do now is warn others

Nightly entertainment was fantastic, talented dancers. Entertainment staff were all great.
resort was clean and beautiful
room was nice, however - no hot water all week, mini bar not always restocked, room key demagnify often, food was ok, service in restaurants was mostly bad - ignored often.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average