3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Playa Santa Lucia, (formerly Brisas Santa Lucia), Camaguey, Cuba, 74250, Caribbean

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Amazing hotel and vacation!

We stayed in Brisas Santa Lucia for a week, and had an amazing time! Mostly everything exceeded our expectations!
    I wrote a blog on our stay, with pictures, please visit it and feel free to ask any questions, I'll be happy to answer!

More about Oasis Brisas Santa Lucia

Not bad, could be better

by TripAdvisor Member Jennifer147

Went to Brisas Santa Lucia the week of February 10, 2008. We arrived at the hotel around 11:00 p.m. -- it was the fastest check-in I have ever experienced! The hotel also had a small portion of the buffet open so that we could have a bite to eat.

Resort Observations:

Rooms: Disappointing. They were small. Our room had two 3/4 beds and one single bed. We did not need the single bed so it took up valuable space. The bathroom was OK. You had to step into a very deep tub to take a shower, so this would not be ideal for an older person, or someone with mobility issues. There was lots of space to hang clothes, but only a small three drawer dresser for everything else. The furniture was old. The beds were comfortable. The air conditioning was weak so the room never really felt cool and was always humid.

Food: Buffet was boring. Same items every night -- the only thing that changed was the carved meat -- turkey one night, roast pork the next etc. Breakfast buffet was fine.

A la Carte: The Italian and Seafood restaurants were very good. Don't bother wasting your time going to the Cuban one.

Snack bar: Lukewarm hotdogs, hamburgers, french fries and fried fish. Same thing. Everyday.

Entertainment: Surprisingly good.

Pool: Was nice, but a bit on the cool side for me. Always plenty of lounge chairs. Some days the water didn't look that great. The kids pool was closed for a few days.

Bars: Pool bar and beach bar had very fast service. The piano lounge bar (by the way, there is no piano) was slow. The women who worked this bar were more interested in talking to each other than serving guests so there was always a line-up, especially after the evening entertainment as this was the only bar that is open after 11:00 p.m.

Beach: Excellent.

This hotel is rated as a 3.5-star on some websites and a 4-star on others. It definitely is NOT a 4-star. If you are looking for an budget-friendly hotel, this is it, but if you are looking for a little more luxury, then this is not the place for you.

Best Vacation Ever!!!

by TripAdvisor Member janric1804

My wife and I returned from Brisas Santa Lucia in April 2007. This was the 2nd time we had been at this resort and I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. We were married at this resort April 18/2006. The staff went out of their way to make our wedding day beautiful.

We arrived about 11pm and were quite a while getting checked in but it was to be expected as there was a rather large group, 2 bus loads. The house band was playing and the staff was serving drinks so it made the wait bearable. They also left the dining room opem so we could have something to eat.

The beach is one of the most beautiful things about this area. White sand bordering clear blue green water, a snorkeling paradise. There was a lot of seaweed on the beach every morning but the staff was out cleaning it before everyone go out.

We didn't have a bad room either year we were there. If you dont like your room the resort will do whatever they can to make it better or move you to a different room. The rooms were cleaned spotless everyday and if you leave the maid a small tip she will leave you "towel art. The air conditioning was a little suspect but there was always a nice breeze blowing. Very safe to leave your patio door open all night long.

The food is typically Cuban but what else do you want you are in Cuba! There is something at the buffet for everyone and failing that there is the 24hr snack bar beside the main bar where you can get a hamburg, pizza or fries. They always have a special item, fish, roast pig, roast turkey etc., added to the menu each night. Beacause we were repeat visitors the staff put on a special meal for us one night, that beat out a lot of fine dining restaurants back home. They also gave us a extra bottle of rum for being a repeat guest.

The grounds are cleaned every morning. Joel was the one who decorated the beach for our wedding. He spent hours out in the hot sun making it more beautiful that we ever could have imagined.

The entertainment staff puts on something different every night. They encourage audience participaction which is a lot of fun. There is a nightclub which opens up at 11pm where a lot of the locals go next door to the resort. The door fee is 1 CUC, pretty cheap for a fantastic show. It is very safe to walk back to the resort after the show.

There are a lot of extra tours you can do which of course cost extra but are very much worth it. The catamaran tour to Playa Bonita, the Old Colonial Tour to Camaquey (pronouned Camaway), and the lobster dinner excursion to Coco Beach. And if you ask around you can get treated to a lobster dinner at a local's house. That is a treat like none other, the lobster are the biggest i have ever seen.

The best advice we ever received was "go with an open mind". If you do this you will have the time of your life. Like the tour guide said to us "Don't compare us to what you have at home, compare us to another 3rd world country". Do that and you will have an experience like no other.

Thanks to Vladmeer, Joel, Lizardo and the rest, thankyou from the bottom of our hearts for a beautiful vacation. It was quite unforgetable There was a little guy in the band who always wears a white fedora, I cant recall his name but he is the nicest. He sand a beautiful lovesong for us one night in the piano bar that he had written for his wife.

The only regret is not doing this review earlier, sorry guys!

Rick & Janet

I'm done!

by Diwali70

This was my 3rd time to Cuba and my first to Varadero. I absolutely hated every minute of it. I have been to Cayo Coco and Holguian to 4 star resorts in the past..... This time I went to Oasis brisas del Caribe. It was HORRIBLE! The food was disgusting (absolute slop) and the staff were only nice when you were tipping them. I changed my room 3 times and it was still gross! First one was about a 1/2 a mile from the main resort and had a filthy pool. The second room had outlets that were blowing up and sparking ( causing all the lights to go out) and the third room was infested with roaches and ants. I was also there during a hurricane which did not allow me to use the one and only reason I go to Cuba.(beautiful beaches). I am never going back. I would rather pay THE SAME money and go to Cancun or Dominican. I am done with Cuba. There is just too many other options out there. I am sick of spending my hard earned money for CRAP! CRAP food, CRAP service. Go to Cuba...a place where vacation go to die. Leaving.

Alot of good..and some not so good

by TripAdvisor Member sarmay

We stayed at the Brisas in Santa Lucia from Jan 24-Jan 31 2008. It was our 1st time in Santa Lucia but we have been to Varadero and Cayo Coco on other vacations. We travelled with Nolitours with a few of our friends. Flight there with Air transat was fine except for their luggage restrictions of 44 lbs per person which I found a bit low. We got through customs without issue and baggage came quite quickly. Watch out for the guys with beers in coolers near the buses... 10 pesos for 4 ...that is pretty pricy from what we know of Cuban standards but if you want to have a few beers on the bus that is an option. The bus ride was not bad with some information from the rep on the bus about the area. We arrived at the hotel to music and a drink and a very large line up. Did not take too long and we were off to our assigned room (2815) This caused us some concern as we came with friends but were put very far from them at the end of the resort near the road. Later on we had the room switched (321) by Roberto..he is the man!! When you are checking in you might want to recall that buildings are numbered and buildings 1-12 are closest to restaurants, pool and the beach. We ended up in a fantastic room with ocean view and very near to the coffee bar and pool.

ROOM: 2 three quarter beds, quite firm which is great for me. TV worked fine when used and you do need a convertor to charge cameras etc. (Walmart..about $18.00) Bathroom looked quite new and had a tub, sink, shower, bidet and toilet and hairdryer. We had an issue with hot water once but some people did for much longer. Nice patio overlooking the pool and ocean. I did not see one bug in our rom. We had a fridge but it was not stocked but we kept our water in there.

MAID SERVICE: I do not normally mention this in my reviews as it is generally quite standard but I have to say that Claribel is the best maid I have ever had in all my travels. She went out of her way to make things special and we never came back to a room without a multitude of flowers and the best towel art I have ever seen. The room was always spotless. We gave her some shampoo, hair stuff for her daughter and some other stuff that we had brought..she was extrememely grateful.

POOL: Pool was wonderful and where most of the action is by the animacion staff. Our last day there is was a bit cool because we had a temperature drop the night before but it was always clean.

OCEAN/BEACH: Great to walk, nice sand but the swimming is a challenge if you do not like weeds. It is also very shallow for a long time. There are some people selling things on the beach and for the most part they are ok but they can wheel and deal so take caution.

FOOD: The buffet restaurant always had a variety and no one could starve. We ate at the Cuban restaurant and the food was nice. Had filet mignon at the Italian which was very tough and did lots of french fry/hot dog/hamburger runs at the beach bar whch were great. Breakfast was wonderful and the bread on the buffet is to die for!! Good pizza's for lunch that are made to your specs and dinner always had something good. We were told there would be a pig roast on Wednesday but we never saw it but there was pork on the buffet. Drinks are plentiful and wonderful!!

COFFEE BAR: The best spanish coffee ever!! The best coffee period!!!!

SHOPPING: very little in this area, a few small booths at the resort and at the other resorts. I found it tough to get souvenirs but did manage to find some. We did not go in to Camaguey as we were short on time.

EXCURSIONS: We booked the coco beach tour. It was 25 pesos pp and included a very bumpy ride in a bus to a very nice beach. Best sunset, a bonfire some dance lessons and a lobster/chicken dinner. It was a good evening and lasted about 4 hours. Our friend went deep sea fishing (50.00 pesos for half day) and he said it was well worth it. We tried to book full day catamran but windy weather cancelled it once and the catamarna was broken on the second try. My husband did horseback riding ... 10 peso for 1 hour and really enjoyed it.

ANIMACION: The animacion staff was great for the most part and the shows were fine. They tried to get people invloved and we had some fun with them. Hi to Leo, Rolly, Ishmael and Ernesto.

NOLITOURS: I was not overly impressed with the Chameleon club things we were promised. There was no priority check in, no choice of room upon check in, the welcome party was 2 days before we left, not very organized for booking excursions so we had to wait in line a long time and Anouk (the rep) was somewhat stand offish at times. We in no way would let this stuff ruin our holiday but things should not be advertised if they are not happening. Our flight back was delayed a bit due to a malfunction in the converyor belt for luggage on the plane but that is not a big deal nor is it anyone's fault.

DISCO'S/NIGHTLIFE: There is a disco at the resort but we heard it is not very good so we did not go. We were told to walk down the road to the next hotel and go to the "jungle" This is a pretty hoppin place and nice for a night out of dancing. 5 pesos to get in and your drinks are included all night. It is at the Gran Club hotel. If you venture further down the road there is another disco at the Caracol hotel for 2 pesos you get in and pay for drinks. This disco had a great stage show at 1230 every night..superb dancers!! Unfortunately (and as I read in some of the other reviews) this disco in particular does have some young local girls and local young men who are targeting older ladies and men with $$$ to "dance" with. Be careful!! This does go on at the Jungle as well but it did not seem so obvious nor quite so graphic. I guess it would be great for older single men and women looking for a good time.

OTHER: There is a store on the resort that sells some stuff for souvenirs and rum and another for cigars. The bank is open often at the resort for money exchange but there can be line ups. Overall everything you need is there. Someone wrote in an earlier review about French Canadians being rude and I have to admit that I did experience some of this as well. it would be nice if everyone on holidays could adapt to a more "no rush" philosophy and not butt in lines and be so pushy.

We had a great time at the Brisas Santa Lucia and the best parts were our room and view, the pool, beach walks, spanish coffees, the weather . spending time with our friends and the low price of our trip. If you need more info do not hesitate to contact me at [-]

Brisas great hotel for the $$$$

by TripAdvisor Member Mikealoneathome

Hi all, here is the deal, we went to the Cameleon Oasis Brisas from January 31st 2008 for a one week stay and here is our review. We booked this all inclusive package through Voyagesarabais.com for 599$ Cdn included taxes. Air Transat was the transporter and truthfully I hope to never travel with them again. We arrived on time at Camaguey International Airport and with a coach waiting outside we had a pleasant one and a half hour drive to the resort. Upon arrival we were greeted by a troupe of smiling dancers and served ice cold rum punches. The check in was quick and we easily found our room. Our room was fairly large and very clean it had two double beds a small fridge and cable TV, air conditioning worked well and the bathroom has a hair dryer and a bidet. As for the hotel it is located directly on the beach and is well laid out, it contains some 400 room spread out in 25 or so villas. There is one large pool several bars three a la carte restaurants and a large buffet area. Food wise I am not a picky eater, you might find it a bit repetitious but generally I found the food was good. The beach in front of this hotel has a nice fine sand, it’s pretty wide and beach chair are abundant with lots of shade if you need it. To get a beach towel you will have to leave a ten dollar deposit at reception which will be returned on your departure and you can exchange it daily, the water has a nice shade of clear green but not very deep, you can walk one hundred feet or more before it’s waist high. If you enjoy walking on the beach then you can walk many miles before you find the end. Many friendly Cubans will greet you on the beach and they will offer to braid your hair or a body massage or hand made arts & crafts for a few CUC’s. Inevitably you will be solicited by the locals to eat their traditional lobster diner inside their homes, guarantee that this will be a true Cuban experience. Lots of excursions to chose from, like crocodile farm, flamingo tours, coral reef, deep sea fishing, Camaguey city tour and many more. I tried the catamaran to playa Bonita tour and it was superb, I recommend it. These tour ranges between 25-60 CUC’s. Also there is a small train that comes to the Brisas twice a day (11:00 and 14:00) and takes you for a free 45 min ride around the town, if you can bring some candies for the young kids or office supplies these items are in need in Cuba. Entertainment at night was just okay, they have the guest kids put on a show which is fun the first few nights but a gets a bit much by the end of the week. Daytime entertainment seems to be somewhat better, or at least it’s more varied. Staff is very friendly and the service in general is very good. Would I return to the Brisas? Yes definitely and I have no problems recommending it to you and everyone else. Things to bring; you smile. Things that I wish I could change or at least Iet the management know or hope they read this review to make your stay more pleasant; to stop using that decrepit diesel polluting tractor that spews black smoke as it runs up and down the beach several times a day to remove the see weed, it just doesn’t go with that Zen ocean air & superb palm trees, and I know that it hot countries everything takes more time but somehow improve the restaurant reservation process, it’s just way to long, it took us over one hour of waiting in line and there were only eight people in front of us for restaurants reservations. Apart from that just go and enjoy the Brisas it is still a hidden treasure!! Ciao to all of you and have yourself a great vacation.

Good quality for the price

by TripAdvisor Member bullj

I and my companion spent a very pleasant two weeks at the Oasis Brisas from January 24 to February 7, 2008. I would give the resort generally a good rating. The rooms are generally very clean and functional, although some of our travel companions complained of power outages of short duration. The hotel is quite large, some 400 rooms in blocks of around 10 to 12 rooms on two floors, and some are quite distant from the beach. Very few indeed have any view on the sea, which is not uncommon in such resorts. Other rooms are very close indeed to the pool, which would not be to my taste. The lobby / reception area is modest and small which makes for somewhat excessive crowding during the arrival and departure of frequently very large contingents of travellers. The reception and room staff are generally quite pleasant and efficient in my experience.
A money exchange counter offers good service at adequate hours. There is a fairly adequate Internet service at the rate of 6 pesos convertibles an hour which functions with a card purchased at the reception.
The shops at the hotel have very little to offer other than cigars and rum, but vendors set up their stands daily in the lobby area, although the range of articles offered for sale is rather limited, as it is throughout Cuba in general. We were recommended the Centre comercial on the beach next to the Club Amigo Caracol, but this is hardly worth the trouble, unless you are looking for "chicas".
The pool area is very pleasant, large enough to permit one to escape the rather noisy social activities if one so desires. The meals offered at the buffet are average for Cuba at best, rather little fresh fruit and not always of good quality, rather little choice of salad vegetables. The cooked main dishes of meat or fish are generally quite mediocre and the vegetables are generally vastly overcooked. The fish and meat dishes prepared directly on the grill are generally much better, as are the pasta dishes. In general the buffet would do better to put more care in the preparation of fewer good dishes than a greater number of rather poor ones. The three à la carte restaurants for which reservations are required are much better, although hardly gourmet, paticularly the Venecia (Italian) and Bocio del Mar (seafood). The Cuban restaurant is generally no better than the buffet. There is an excellent coffee bar on the grounds, so one can avoid the undrinkable coffee from the machine at the buffet.
We had been warned about the seaweed on the beach, but this was hardly a problem, and the sand is lovely and the Brisas has plenty of lounge chairs and palapas on the beach for sun bathing.
The sea itself leaves much to be desired however, in my estimation. It has the advantage of being very shallow very far out and there are no great waves, as the beach is protected by the coral reef off shore. The problem resides in the fact that there is a lot of seaweed and grasses growing just off the beach which makes walking into the sea unpleasant. Despite the lack of waves, it is somewhat difficult ot get out far enough to swim without considerable uncomfortable walking on weeds and stones. It is not one of the nicest beaches in Cuba despite some claims to the contrary. It is however possible to take long walks along the beach, particularly in the direction to the northwest of the hotel. I had been made to understand that one could do snorkeling from the beach, but there is very little to see. For this, it is necessary to take one of the excursions out to the coral reef.
The evening shows at the hotel, as is usual in resorts, are a mixed bag. The entertainment and social staff are generally very good and seem to enjoy their work. The musical and dance shows were very good indeed. As I am definitely not a fan of entertainment that calls for the participation of the audience, I will not go into more detail these entertainments which were all too freqent
The hotels at Playa Santa Maria are quite isolated, so there is very little to do outside the hotel, except for the proposed excursions. At this time of year, there is usually a fairly stiff wind coming off the ocean and frequently the excursions by catamaran on the sea are postponed or cancelled. Apart from the proposed excursions, there is little else to do, with the exception a little "train" which makes an hour long circuit through the village of Santa Lucia. It is also possible, as we did, to rent a motorbike (although not recommended for reasons of insurance) and explore Playa Los Cocos a few kilometers to the northwest and the small village of La Boca .
I would suggest taking the day excursion to Camaguey, as the city is well worth seeing. Unfortunately, the tour offered by Cubanacan at the hotel was not very well organized and somewhat frustrating.

Great Value at the Brisas

by TripAdvisor Member DancerPrancer

I just came back from the Brisas tonight and wanted to write a short review. We were there from Jan 31 to Feb7 2008.

We were travelling with 3 kids, and it was our first trip to Cuba, altough I have traveled quite a bit elsewhere. I was extremely impressed with how much we got in relation to how much we paid.

First, let me start by saying Tours Mont-Royal and especially our rep was excellent. Very informative talk on the bus ride to and from the hotel, very knowledgeable and approachable. We were a small group in comparison to Nolitours, and that was fine by me! On our last day, we left 1/2hr before the large group, so we arrived at the airport and avoided the long lineup. I would also like to note that Air Transat was great in allowing us to sit together in the plane, even on a packed flight.

My brief review:

The rooms (yes, we even got connecting rooms! Thank you to the staff at the reception) were large and clean, nothing fancy but nice, good bathroom with tub/shower. Always had plenty of hot water, and GREAT water pressure. Our rooms were close to the pool, no complaints there. Maid was very nice and friendly, we left small gifts every day.

The food was surprisingly good, and there was something new in the buffet everyday. Made-to-order pizza and pasta were a hit, as well as the yummy breakfasts and different meats/fish. Oh, and the ice cream too! We had picky eaters, and everyone found stuff they liked.

The seafood restaurant was very good, the Italian not so good - we would not return. Did not try the Cuban.

The pool and pool bar were nice, again, no complaints. Always chairs available, as on the beach.

Beach was nice also, cleaned every morning, low water was good for the kids. They also found lots of seashells. Nice strech if you like to walk. Some vendors do hassle you, espcecially the braid ladies, but it's not horrible.

Weather was nice while we were there, windy at times but that was not necessarly a bad thing as it kept the heat much more bearable. Evenings were quite warm also. Some short periods of rain on a day or two, that's it.

Entertainment was good, maybe not enough for the heavy-duty party crowd, but it suited us fine. Stretching on the beach, volleyball, dance lessons, aquagym, bingo, happy hours, and nightly shows. Always had something to do if you got tired of sitting around in the sun!

Overall, we had a great experience at the Brisas that probably cannot be beaten at that price. All the staff were nothing but friendly, kids had a great time, and we had a great vacation.

I did overhear some complaints, and for the most part, they usually came from people expecting a resort in a wealthy country, forgetting they are in Cuba. Yes, there are some chipped tiles and worn paint, but the overall look is very nice, everything is clean and safe, and the staff is great. Come with an open mind, and you will be happily surprised:-)

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member Tatobear

We booked through Sell Off Vacations. The flight down was lovely. Customs moved quickly. It was a long bus ride to the resort but well worth it.

The check-in process was a bit hectic, but we were served welcome drinks and lots of entertainment to make the time go by. Our room was on the main level with a walk-out patio. I was a bit worried about the noise as we were on a corner, near the piano bar but it was so quiet once you closed the windows. Could barely hear a thing outside. The air conditioning worked great. There was a bit of a smell coming from the bathroom, but nothing that was offensive. Our room was cleaned beautifully each day. They even lined our shoes up for us under a bench! Fresh towels daily too.
There is a fridge for drinks or food you may bring back to your room. We kept the welcome bottle of tequila in it. The tv worked fine, with three or four channels. Not that we watched it that often, mostly to fall asleep to.

The food was fine. I am a vegan, my husband a meat-eater. He found the food lovely, I was a bit bored with it by the end of the week, but there was enough of an assortment for me to get by nicely at each meal.
The A la cartes were okay too. The Italian one was a set menu of about three items. The other one, can't remember the name, was beautiful! The food sounded lovely, but I...em...*cough cough* had a little to much to drink that afternoon and couldn't make it past the appetizers....had to go back to the room for a lay down. :) We stopped at the coffee shop at least three times a day. We fell in love with the cuban coffee.

The beach was excellent although there was the odd machine trolling up and down the beach, picking up the stuff that washes up. I know it's necessary, but we choked on diesel fumes a few times. The large pool is wonderful to swim in.

We took a horse and buggy tour around the area one day. We tipped as much as the driver had charged us for the ride and he was so excited that he promised to come back the following day at the same time and take us anywhere we wanted to go. The following day he took us all the way to Coco Beach - a beautiful long carriage ride and stayed there while we swam and had a few drinks at the cantina. There was a slight language barrier but we muddled through and had a nice conversation.
The nightly entertainment was exciting. We loved the piano bar and there were two guitarists that sang that were amazing. We bought their cd and still listen to it a year later.
The only complaint I have was the rudeness of some of the PATRONS. The staff were wonderful and I couldn't figure out what people were complaining about. The weather?? Honestly! Like the staff have any control over that. There was one couple who was taking a strip off a manager in the hotel lobby over the fact that he couldn't book his a la carte meal on a certain day! Really people! Is that necessary? We're on vacation here. Leave the stressful situations at home.

We went horseback riding one day. I thought the horses were a bit overworked but their bodies looked well cared for. Same as the carriage horses. The resort had a few resident cats as well. Nothing bothersome, although if you ate outside you might have a cat come and visit you at your table by your feet. They looked very well fed. :)

On the last day we went to Camaguey for a day trip after check out while before our flight. A great way to see the city, have a safe place for your luggage and do something other than wait around at an airport on your last day.

The people in Cuba are so very friendly. I never met one rude person there that wasn't a fellow tourist. They would basically fall over backwards in thanks for any little gift you could spare. We stocked up at the dollar store before heading down and treated many children to pens and pencil sets that they just adored. Little makeups and shampoos seem to be the favourite for the cleaning staff (along with a little tip). We also handed out pads of paper and little toys. Most wanted by the men were baseball caps, regardless if they were old and frayed or pink or whatever. If you can remember to stop at the local dollar store and spend $20 or so, it can go a long way in Cuba with making someone smile.

the very BEST

by TripAdvisor Member mz_kay88

we stayed at the brisas for 1 week in mid-February. i was quite concerned about wat to expect after reading the mixed reviews. but, from the moment we walked off the bus in front of the brisas i knew it was gonna be an incredible vacation. you could not find nicer people. the staff are absolutely amazing. the beach is gorgeous. the entertainment is hillarious. the food is jus rite. and overall the guests are all nice to eachother, pretty much everyone being from canada- montreal or toronto. the staff is rele wat brings the place together. we met a lot of people that were on their 2nd or 3rd times at the brisas, one man was even his 16th time! i would most definiately go back to the brisas in a heartbeat. already looking at prices for may ;)

Beatifull scenery Santa Lucia beachBeatifull scenery Santa Lucia beach

Mosquitos in Cuba in January/February

by Mesje

I am going to Playa Ancon (Trinidad) and Santa Lucia (Camaguey) in January /February. I have read some bad stories about a lot of mosquitos on these places, but since most of them was from summer or autumn months, i dont know how is the situation with mosquitos in Cuba (and these places especially) in winter months - january, february. Is it so bad ? Because i am going there with my little son. Some bugs isnt matter, but i dont want be eaten alive (and mostly my son). How is your experience?

Re: Mosquitos in Cuba in January/February

by grandmaR

I answer without knowing anything about Cuba (having not been there) but Cuba is in the tropics. It won't get cold enough to kill mosquitoes. There are still mosquitoes in the Everglades in Florida in Jan/Feb. It will probably depend more on the wind. There will be less if it is breezy and during the middle of the day.

Re: Mosquitos in Cuba in January/February

by GrumpyDiver

I've been to Cuba a number of times in the winter, but not to those specific places. I don't like mosquitos, but I do not seem to be all that tasty, so they do not bother me too often, but tend to go go after my wife and daughters. They got very few, if any bites during the three visits we made in the December through March timeframe.

If you are going to areas that are close the the ocean, you should have minimal issues - these places are fairly windy and mosquitos are fairly delicate creatures that tend to not do well in windy areas. They tend to be most active at sunset and sunrise and won't be around when the sun is out They can be a bother if the get into your room or other places where they operate out of the wind. These tend to be isolated ones to, not the great swarms that you can encounter in the outdoors.

If you are worried, pick up some insect repellent containing at least 30% DEET. Spraying it on your son's clothes may be enough (you don't want him to get it into his eyes or mouth). The effect should last for hours.

Comments