3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Cayo Las Brujas, Villa Clara, Cuba, Caribbean

Satisfaction Average

• Don't get delusioned

I could have chosen Okay but some problems, but I still think it falls too short to express how denigrant the customer service is in this place.

First of all I used to work on that place, second, I stayed there a couple of times, Third I had to deal with customers service many times there, and believe me, you wouldn't believe the whole stories invented to try to justify what's unjustifiable...I had to make them too, so I know what I am talking about.

Suffice it to say, besides all terrible restaurant, food, room and cleaning services, that everytime that the current president Raul castro wanted to stay there, either by himself, or with his alreade deceased wife or even the rest of his family, not only were we as workers discriminated against in the sense that they chose those who were gonna perform services during his/their stay, but also, because many times thay have emptied the whole place under the most ridiculous explanations and justifications, so that the whole villa be at the General's disposition.

Room 22 is the one usually used to set up the Comm room and the headquarters of his bodyguards and escorts. And all reservations booked for those days, while he is supposed to stay there are to be cancelled, under justifications of maintenance works, or anyother brilliant story they might come up with.

Bot only that, but also, when he is expected to show up, all reservations of any nautical activity is cancelled, nomatter what the cost for the facility might be, just to have all boats and other implements at the leader's disposition, even not knowing for certain whether among his plans is that time fishing or just drinking Whiskey on a private travel on the Catamaran.

Then in the neighbor hotels any client from Israel, United States, emigrated Cuban, Centroamerican or even Poland or any other ally from US is strongly supervised and surveilled by the always present Security forces of the military, of which there is always one officer in each Hotel to manage the surveillance operations.

Sometimes, anyone under suspicion get his luggage checked while at the beach or in one tour.

You cannot charge anything to the front Desk to pay with the bill, because the people working at the restaurant have to live on something, and since the system forces every worker to steal as much as they are able to, they just try to chrge everything in cash at the restaurant, so that they don't have to report it to the administration, or haven't you noticed, how they give you a manuscript for check, when they actually have a very good monitored and functional computer where they can print the original receipt? And don't even feel trusty when you see one check printed, because they have managed to create their own copies in Excell or Word, and they can fool anyone unaware.

In the Restaurant there is a Mafia headed by Noel, Raidel, Raul and Manolito, who have claimed themselves immortal before anticorruption controls, just from the issue that they are the personal service personnel of the President Raul.

Their modus Operandi is very simple:

They bring unsurveilled and uninspected food from their houses in big quantities, quarters of chicken, pieces of beef, fish, and especially lobster, which for example can be bought for 100 cuban pesos 5 pounds in town in Caibarien and sold each piece for over 13 CUC (around 300 cuban pesos each piece) so that from the whole package of around 6 to eight pieces of around 100 pesos is sold for around 2500 pesos (around 100 cuc, some 132 dls), like 8 times in only one operation what they earn in one month...but of course nobody sees that...or nobody wants to see, just because they are just one of the type.

If you want to go and throw your money away in this place...be my guest, but at least now you know how and how much you could be and will be mistreated and robbed.

Happy Holidays..

You can contact me to my email..

Unique Quality: Nonetheless, the place is ideal to have a good and different stay

• FriederikevonRabenau's Profile Photo

Beware of local hotel package bookings

Booked Villa Las Brujas at a tourist desk in the Florida Hotel in La Habana. The lady was very nice and helpful and spoke good English and I'm sure that if she had known all the facts she would have advised us to purchase something different from what she sold us.

Money: dual currency: Peso Convertible, tourist currency, exchange rate July 2007 1 Euro= average 0.95 Peso Convertible, 1$US= 0.87 Peso Convertible. This is the money that is accepted by the locals if you are a foreigner. Peso Cubano, only for locals, exchange rate 1 Peso Convertible= 24 Pesos Cubanos.

We booked 8 nights B&B at Villa Las Brujas for 2 people. It was recommended to us that we should book the package with dinner included (which was thought to be a buffet dinner) as the hotel was far away from a town and other restaurants. A list was produced that showed how much one had to pay extra per day for dinner. The prices on the list were in accordance with the number of stars that the hotel had been given. Villa Las Brujas was classed as a *** Hotel and the cost of dinner was 17 Pesos Convertibles per person per day, almost the equivalent of 17 Euros. When we arrived we found out that there was no buffet and that eating ala carte would have been much cheaper on a non-prepaid basis (most days we didn't eat for more than about 10 Pesos Cubanos per person) and frequently the food that we had chosen was not available, a common problem in Cuba. Also the food was mostly not very nice, European in price but not in standard. What really annoyed us was that there were two menus, one for the prepaid and another one for pay-as-you-go guests. The ala carte had a larger choice and we were not allowed to select food from there even though it would have been within our prepaid budget.

Unique Quality: Cabanas between mangroves with own bathroom, TV, air conditioning, quite spacious, quite clean. Boardwalks through mangroves connect the cabanas to eachother and to the restaurant as well as to the beach. No swimming pool (who needs one with the most beautiful warm water and white long sand beach within walking distance) but two jacuzzis at cabana level. Stairs from boardwalks down to beach. Beautiful view over ocean and beach, fantastic sunsets. Problem is the wild life namely the mosquitoes and sand flies that inevitably live in the mangroves. Without wind it was almost unbearable to stay out in the open (beach as well as restaurant) even though the 'mossie man' came and poisoned the air every day. As I got the hives from our insect repellent I unfortunately had to spend a significant part of my time indoors unless I was in the sea.

The restaurant service ranged from reasonable to indifferent, depending on what team of waiters was on in the restaurant and how tired the waiters were.

We were satisfied with the hotel as such but the annoying experience with the food did take some of the enjoyment away.

The price below is quoted without the food surcharge

Directions: need to either take a bus that is provided by the tour company or take a taxi from Sta Clara which is what we had to do. Taxis are not cheap in Cuba as they have to be paid for in Pesos Convertibles.

More about Villa Las Brujas

trips out to cayo las brujas and santa maria

by bravo1881

if you find yourelf around santa clara then you are pretty close to the keys, it's worth going here for some beach time, beaches here are fantastic, and las brujas doesn't have hotel, hence no tourists.

Hi
has anyone stayed at these hotels? would you recommend them for a romantic place to stay for first time visitors to Cuba?
Las Brujas sounds great but have read mixed reviews on the Anon Club in Trinidad - is there somewehere else to stay there that is better? We could pay more if needed.
This will be our big honeymoon trip and we want to get a good taste of Havana spend some time in Trinidad at the beach but maybe exploring the town and area a bit and then to just totally chill at Las Bjujas.
Thanks for any help
k

Re: Have you stayed at AMBOS MUNDOS (havana) VILLA LAS BRUJAS or ANCON CLUB, (trinidad)

by diana_renou

Hi, Iberostar Trinidad, Gran Hotal Trinidad is a beautiful hotel in the town, but you are 15´minutes to the beach by car. Ancon Hotel is in the beach, but the Hotel is no as good as the Iberostar. Cuba is wonderful, enjoy it!!!

by diana_renou

Ambos Mundos is a romantic hotel with a nice terrace for breakfast. There is a pianist who play in the bar and the place is wonderful situated in Havana Vieja. It is not a luxurius hotel, but I like it.)my english isn´t good, I hope you can understand me. Good luck.

Hi
thank you for your help.
I understood the english - no problem. we are planning to go to beach location after Trinidad so thoguht we might stay in the toen of Trinidad. Do you think this is a good idea? Is it easy to arrange trips out of Trinidad for organised hikes, tours etc from the beach hotel?
In Havana - do you think it would be better to go to a 4 or 5 star hotel for our honeymoon? Which one and why??
We are planning to book the holiday this weekend
thanks
PS Has anyone stayed at Villa Las Brujas or heard about it?!!

by diana_renou

Hi, I think Iberostar Trinidad is wonderful for a honey moom. It is very easy to book tour to montes de Collantes and Ingenios. And you can go to playa Ancon wich is 10 or 15' by car. You can rent biciclet also.
I prefer to stay in Habana Vieja when I go to Cuba. I stayed in casa particular. in Hotel Ambos Mundos and in hotel Inglaterra. For me was OK. Good luck.

by diana_renou

If you want a luxurious hotel with a very good situation I think NH Parque Central Hotel is very good. Bus I think is expensive. You can found it by internet. Diana

happy travels!!