3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Cayo Largo del Sur, Archipielago de los Canarreos, Cayo Largo, Cuba

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Sol Pelicano

Amazing! Go there if you can!

by TripAdvisor Member Dnayer

I just returned from Sol pelicano. I was there from Jan 15 to Jan 30, 2005. The weather was great, the food was great and the beaches are breathtaking!

The staff is super friendly, we made many friends. Beware for the party types this is a relaxing spot, if you want to party try varadero or cancun!

This hotel come highly recommened! Do not spend more money going to the sol club next door, same thing, more expensive!

undiscovered paradise

by TripAdvisor Member sal08

Paradise, thats where i will start. ive been to Cuba many times before and once again i was not dissapointed. I went to Sol Pelicano with 3 couples all ranging from the ages of 22-31 and we couldn't ask for more. The staff is amazing, so friendly and caring. The food, amazing. I don't get it when i hear complaints about the food in cuba (PICKY EATERS) is all i can come up with. The ice cream, which is always a different flavour everyday, is amazing. The bread is always freshly made everyday. The salad bar is huge with losts of choices. The fish is always fresh with 3 to 4 kinds to choose from. The meat amazing and fresh. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The pool is salt water, but who wants the pool when you've got a beach that is out of this world. If you want to see paradise on earth, i sugest you take the bus ride to the beach that's about 10 min away, it's called paradiso and sirenas. now these beaches wil take your breath away. The entertainers are great and the shows worth seeing. At night there is always a party outside the hotel, either in the small village, which a bus wil take you there, or in a small disco by the other hotels. I definatly recomend this hotel to young and old. Don't think twice its a great place, a most see!!!

Great Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member MarilaFriends

We just returned from a two-week stay at Sol Pelicano. We are very satisfied with our trip and are planning to return in March 2006. This was our 7th trip to Cuba and although the Sol Pelicano is not the newest hotel we have been to, it was one of our most enjoyable trips. The staff was exceptional and very friendly.

The one disappointment we had was the bus transfer from the airport to the hotel that was disorganised both upon arrival and return. The bus ride takes approx 15-minutes. The transfer is made in mini buses. Check with your tour representative how things work; we were told to be in the lobby between 09h30-10h30, but the bus driver was charging a fee for the transfer (he called it taxi service). We were told that the free transfer would be at 11h30, (approx 25 persons were waiting). This is only to say that we wasted two hours in the lobby when we could have been enjoying the fantastic beach and weather.

The hotel grounds are very clean and pleasant. You will find lots flowering shrubs, variety of palm trees, but no too much grassy area. The pool is salt water and clean. There is a kids pool with a playground. Lots of chairs available either in sun or under palapas or trees. The pool area is very pretty.

The rooms are in several 2-3 storey buildings with balconies, ocean view is available. The rooms are simple and clean, on the small side, but that was not a problem as we never spent much time in the room except for sleeping. Each room has a frige and safe. The washroom is very functional with a shower only. The tap water is not drinkable.

The buffet restaurant is horseshoe shaped and quite large. You will not find a problem finding a table, also due to its shape, you do not feel overcrowed as you would in one large room. The food was very good, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, very large selection of meats, either already prepared or fresh to be grilled. Lots of fish. Nice selection of coldcuts, cheese, and salads. The desserts were plentiful. Bottled water is always available for drinking. Do not be shy to tip your waiters. There is one a-la-carte restaurant and a beach grill. Pool-side Zun-Zun snack bar serves food until 6pm and all types of beverages until 10pm. Lobby bar serves beverages after 10pm.

The bartenders are very friendly and serve you quickly. The evening entertainment shows (10pm) were interesting, amusing and the dancers were very good.

A kids club is available and there is staff to care for your children.

The beach - no other word to describe it except BEAUTIFUL. You can walk for miles. There are also two virgin beaches which are a must to see.

The weather was fantastic, very hot during the day, cool in the evenings requiring something warm to wear. This Island is very windy. Lots of waves in the ocean.

I have one negative remark, if you are vacationing with children and you are a conservative family, you should know that the beach does not have any restricted areas for nude sunbathers. You are permitted to walk the beach completely nude. During our 2-wk stay, I would have to say that more than 50% of the guests were walking around on the beach completely nude.

Fantastic holiday!!!!

Great Food, Great Beach, Great Time!!

by TripAdvisor Member boowaaccaa

Just returned from Sol Pelicano yesterday. We were a group of three women in their late twenties. I have traveled to Mexico, Margarita Island, Varadero, Holguin and throughout Europe and I have to say this place had the best food I've ever tasted!! The dinner's at the a la cartes were amazing--please try everything on the menu and you won't be disappointed. The breakfast was pretty standard and there were several options (3 restaurants) for lunch. One downfall was that you there were limited tables at the a la cartes so you often had to stand in long lines to get your reservation (one day it was an hour).
The hotel was beautiful---in need of some minor repair but non the less very nice.
The beach was absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! Everyday it changed, some days lots of waves some days it was calm. The catamaran is a must!
There were lots of activities during the day (archery, soccer, volleyball, ping pong etc etc) and although things were quite at night you could take the bus to a small disco/bar with a bowling alley that is open very late. We went once and it was pretty busy. Most nights we played poker with friends we met there but with the 24 hour bar you can easily lose track of time.

There were some minor downfalls. Due to the resort being on a small island and only having 3 of the 6 generators (that service the entire island) working we had no A/C (most days this was ok as we had a nice breeze--but some days it was roasting) the hydro went out a few times (once for a few hours--which also means no water) and twice just the water went out (again for a few hours). All these things were just par for the course and didn't effect our vacation that much.

All in all I would highly recommend this resort!

Beach and a Bed.... forget the rating

Sol Melia should be ashamed to run this facility and rate this place more than a two star. Sunquest was absolutely no better in selling something that does not exist.

The 'resort' must be considered no more than a bed and a beach.

The availability of activities is questionable as requesting things like mask and snorkel or sailing fall on deaf ears or debate and argue just to use these. The watersports in general are severely restricted. You can swim on a beautiful beach or in the pool......... that is the extent of the watersports. The food is edible and palatable but do not expect hot food as you are lucky to receive warm at best. Everywhere on this facility you will encounter waits and line ups. Our room stunk like a sewer and was filled with ants and bugs. Three days later we received an apology and a room change. The staff here, while polite and kind, work within the confines of the resort owners' limitations.

Admittedly, this island has the most beautiful beaches you will ever see.

The hotel staff are wonderful and kind. The facility is a dump in comparison to other island hotels that rate 3 or more stars. The excuse given is that relative to the other resorts on Cayo Largo this is a nice resort. However, this facility is in a global market and should be rated as such.

Before booking Sol Pelicano or Sol Cayo Largo, have recourse with your travel agent because should this fall short of your expectations, not much will happen at the facility its self............. buyer beware!

Very nice hotel and wonderful beach

by TripAdvisor Member dage

I just came back from the Sol Pelicano in Cayo Largo. I traveled with my aunt and my little girl of 7 years old. We definetely enjoyed our stay. I particularly recommend the restaurant at the beach for lunch. You can't miss. They have different meat and salads, but also fresh fish served every day, that you will eat while watching the ocean. An absolute must. The rooms were OK, and the maid service we got was perfect. Some rooms though could maybe get refurbished, as you will maybe find a whole in the draps or on your cover spread. If you do not have a suite, the rooms are also not very big. It is a Melià, but not the Melià you will find in Varadero and just next door at the Sol Cayo Largo. But a very very good deal for your money, and we did eat well. It is a small island, so some of the things you would normaly find daily you won't, like for example, ice cream. The people working there work very, very, hard and are very nice, polite and do their absolute best.
We ate very well at the restaurant La Yana, be sure to reserve the same day you arrived, at the same place were you get you towels. You can also reserve another restaurant, the restaurant at the beach at night and the Zun Zun bar at night dress up tables for supper. Although at the beach is probably nicer, beware of insects bits at night, after the sundown.

You have to go to Playa Paraiso and then walk to playa Sirena. There is shade because you will find small three palms (palmiers) that will offer some. We saw live star fishes, yellow, green, grey, wonderful.

The people at the kids club were also very nice and doing a great job. You have to put your towels on chairs at the beach before going to breadkfast, otherwise you will have problems finding some, but that is in every resort. If you have children, go see the Turtle farm at the marina and read about it at the web site of Cayo Largo.

We had a wonderful time, you can also see iguanas on the beach. The public relations team was great, answering us right away when I wrote them from Montréal, and even had a cake baked and offered us sparking wine for the birthday of my aunt!

piece of paradise!

such a great hotel! i have been to cuba 4 times now and have NEVER been disappointed. cayo largo is the perfect place for some r&r in beautiful surroundings. take the short ride to playa paraiso and playa sirena- very beautiful, calm and clear waters- we saw two starfish! the beach at the hotel is A+...and THAT'S what makes MY vacation. everything else was just fabulous too! the rooms were spacious and clean- water in the fridge everyday. i'm a vegetarian and i always get a kick out of reading other peoples reviews of food in cuba. i have a limited selection compared to the meat eaters and i ALWAYS found the food to be fresh and nutritious and i certainly had NO complaints. fresh fruit, yogurt, pasta, cheeses, vegetables...everything in abundance and wonderfully presented. cayo largo is paradise!!!!!!

pure paradise

by TripAdvisor Member ppk

I had read all the incredible reviews on this site and while I was hoping it would at least live up to my expectations...I was completely blown away to have them so wildly exceeded!! This was the most amazing experience. The hotel is stunning, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The room is beautiful, the views from our room on the third floor was spectacular. I was most anxious to see the beaches and fell in love. Must have stood in awe about a dozen times a day just staring at the million shades of turquoise and blue in the water and the sky, contrasting with the finest pure white sand. You could walk for hours past the hotels and find yourself completely alone on virgin beaches with just the pelicans to keep you company. We took the catamaran cruise (the small one) and it was the best day of all. The trip to cayo iguana and the snorkelling are truly a once in a lifetime experience. we also rented scooters one day and a jeep another and zipped around the island. It's very tiny with only one paved road but we had lots of fun exploring! The food was great, the drinks were terrific. Lots of variety and no getting sick at all. I would highly highly recommend this spot. I will never forget this vacation, leaving was torture! I will most definitely go back, next time with the kids! We were there from Feb 6-13th and the weather was perfect. Must have been in the 30's during the day with a pure blue sky. Quite cool at night, bring a jacket. Pls make sure you tip the staff. Leave a dollar on the pillow every day for the maid, tip your barstaff every few drinks and tip in the restaurant too. These people work extremely hard, very long hours...and are always willing to smile and help. Again, paradise.....it was a romantic getaway like you could never imagine...and never forget...but the kids would also love it. Lots to do for them too. The hotel grounds are beautifully maintained and lots of little hidden areas to snuggle up with your special someone and get lost! I give this hotel 6 stars out of 5!! The one big problem with this hotel...having to leave!

Spring Break at the Pelicano

You can book this place without having to worry... You get good value for your money... We travelled as a family of four.

Hotel Room : paid the extra few bucks for oceon front. get a room in the block where rooms start with 43XX, we had 4327 (this is a good room). As soon as we got there they put us in a corner room which was OK but I wanted better. So we went to the front desk & spoke to Neuroska Bel and after much search (she just started working there) found us a room on the top floor facing the ocean. We tipped her $5 canadian & she was so greatful... The room was clean but the beds are the only negative comment : there are only 2 simple beds in every room. score : 7.5 on 10

Let me say it upfront only once a simple dollar tip here & there goes a long way in enhanced service. They really appreciate it...

Beach is great ! Sand & water are amazing. Only negative comment is no palm trees on beach. But there are Palapas (parasol) that you need to reseve by 8:30AM otherwise they're all gone.. I suggest you bringing a Thermos cup to keep you're drinks cool. Otherwise, The ice melts real fast & your drink becomes warm.... You'll thank me later....
score: 9/10

Food: There is buffet resto & 2 specialty ones. La Yana & Los Quelinos (also the day snack bar by the beach). La Yan is worth the visit. I had the filet mignon (free) one night & Lobster Tail ($20 USD) another. The lobster tail was the BIGGEST I ever had. As for the taste, so,so... I suggest you have the filet mignon which is free with the Lobster in the same dish for $20. Make you're own surf & turf for a great meal... The other resto by the beach is okay. Just do NOT take the cuban fritters as the appetizer which is basically 6 fries , 4 patato chips & 1 chicken wing. It was actually quite amuzing to my family when we saw it....
There is a limit of 1 visit per week to any of the speacialy restos. So how did we dine 3 times at the speacialty restos instead on just once? Remember what I said about tips.... The Buffet resto was okay...
Over all food score: 7/10

Jeeps are $40 for 6 hours or scooters are $8 per hour. We toured the island. Not much to see but I would still do it again. We visited the virgin beaches Sirena & Paradiso. Simply breath taking beaches... There is a bar that sells beer or soda for $1.50. Suggest bringing a parasol from home sinc4e there is little shade. we also visited the turtle farm $1 per person. No much there but kids loved it & makes great pictures since you can get in the pool with Maria ( a huge turtle).

Naked People: As you walk just a little further from the hotel you'll start seeing naked people. Shelter the kiddie eyes... Not big of a deal... I was quite impressed how mature my kids were about it... my kids are 8 & 11..

Night Shows: are at 10PM and are pretty good. They try to follow the Club Med style... They come close but it's hard to meet the Club Med level...
score: 7.5/10

Lots of Italians & French Canadian guests. Not much else.

Hope this helps... Please feel free to contact me should you have any other Questions...

Enjoy your vacation. I did....

Not too fond of this place..

by TripAdvisor Member KatFromToronto

In fact I do not recommend this resort for anyone canadian.

The service is much too terrible.

The staff are just not looking happy at this resort. We were treated so badly words cannot describe.

We were greeted with one smile the whole time.

Our chambermaids didn't want to clean our rooms.

The bartenders looked like the world was over.

The vibe and aura was so negative it was unbelievable.

The lobster dinner at the Oceanview restaurant was the only thing that was alright. The shellfish soup was wonderful. La Yana and the buffet restaurant were wack restaurants..we felt like we were in italy or something. The food selection was totally catering to Italians, just as the resort staff was. The food was nasty and there were flies all over the food. The beef was stinky like game and the drinks tasted watered down.

When buses of people started arriving from Italy, the staff were totally different. They treated them like gold. It is not just us who noticed it, several other families we spoke with recognized the same thing. We almost like they blatantly pushed us aside because of the race factor. These people walked around like they owned the place literally. It was utterly degrading and disgusting. We learned that the italians automatically had reservation spots saved for them, while the canadians had to line up in the morning to try to book a dinner reservation. Some canadians didn't even get to eat at certain restaurants while the other had numerous dinners at the same place. It's really messed up.

Please keep this posted as we want people to know about our experience.

BTW- when we arrived there, they didn't have our rooms available for us. We were sent to another resort until our rooms were available. Can you believe that???

Comments