4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Cayo Santa Maria, Jardines del Rey, Villa Clara, Cayo Santa Maria, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• MLD... Paradise

Just returned from MLD on Wednesday night.
    (Sept. 26) very happy with my trip. We were a
    Large group, attending a wedding. Overall I
    Loved my stay, although there were a few things
    That could have been better.
    The service at the lobby bar, for example, we found the
    Wait times to get a drink were inconstant. As well at the
    Beer garden, at night. During the day everyone was
    Friendly and service was great, but later on after dinner
    It diminished.

Other then that, it couldn't have been a better place to go.
    I felt very safe, as there were camera's all over.
    Service in the main buffet was like none other. Our
    Chairs were held out for us, and the servers remembered us and were
    Quick to say hello and ask about our days. I've never has better. Food was
    Great as well... I loved the white pepper on the tables :) lots to choose from,
    Lots of veggies and fresh fish, chicken, pastas... I never left hungry,
    Nor did I ever feel sick.

Our rooms were well looked after, towels were fresh every day, wether left in the
    Tub or hung up, bed freshly made and mini bar well stocked :)

The staff that drive the little buggies around we're always cheerful and ready to take u
    Where u needed, when u needed.

Pools were clean, towel attendants cheerfull.

As for the beach, I would have to say this was my favorite part. I have
    Never seen one like it! I spent hours there almost every day, beautiful weather,
    Clean, not rocky, crystal clear! The lifeguards were very helpful, and might I add this was the
    First time I have come across lifeguards in cuba! Mind u I have only ever been to Veradero a few times
    Before. Best beach experience yet!

More about Melia Las Dunas

Heaven on Earth

by TripAdvisor Member johnmachalani

LIKE THE PREVIOUS REVIEW I TOO CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT THIS SIGHT.
I went to melia last feb. for spring break with my wife and 2 daughters. requested 2 rooms adjsent with comm. door and thats what i got. I am from montreal and i would like to say one important advise to my fellow ( french speaking) quebecers . I have been reading the english and french reviews and when you read the french ones there are alot of 2"s , 3's 4's..lets not kid ourselves you pay 1200.00 - 1500.00 canadaian dollars for spring bereak .and you want a 2000.00 - 2500.00 resort. When BMW's start to sell for the price of Hyundai's call me i will be first in line. P.S. I ALREADY BOOKED THIS PLACE FOR THIS COMMING JULY we are 20 people going there and counting .I can honestly say we are paying less than 1200.00 which costs less then going to the USA or even QUEBEC for vacation. I have been 7 times to CUBA, 2 to cayo cooco 2 to varadero 2 to holguin and to santa maria. Also 6 times to mexico 3 to cancun,3 to riveira maya . all were rated 4.5 - 5 star. and let me tell you for the money Melia las Dunas it is high on my list. loved it so much going back tis summer. Remember it is a new sight with new rooms ,new bed, new pool and new emeneties and has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. One more point, i have payed a lot more and got alot less in some other resorts i visited ( besides the fact they were 3 - 5 years old ) so for those who complain about this place for (spoiled cry baby reasons) until it hapens to you will you only change your ways of rating a place with fairness . Melia las Dunas deserves alot better

Nice and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member Lou02

From Louise, Canada

Back from the Melia Las Dunas, Cayo Santa Maria, Cuba (From Feb. 16 to 23rd, 07)

I will not comment the Santa Clara Airport because I consider the hotels have no control on them. However, it was the worst airport I have ever seen, it was a nightmare…

Check in: it was done in the bus which was very good and efficient. We arrived at the hotel with our bracelets, room keys and a map of the site.

Very nice resort, a lot of trees and flowers despite the fact they opened in Dec. However, you will not spend much money on the side to buy gifts, there is only 3 little stands near the lobby. Not much to buy anyway.

The lobby is spacious and everything is spotless. Lots of flowers and the decoration is very nice.

You can reserve the 4 restaurants allowed at once. We went the next day we arrived, waited for about 30 min. and finally decided it was way too long and that we would come back later on in the afternoon. They are taking reservations until 3h00 pm. We decided to take a chance. To our surprise, we came back at 2h30 and got the restaurants we wanted and at 7h00 pm.

Italien restaurant : Nicely decorated, good service. We arrived 10 min. before 7h00 and we had to come back at 7h00 sharp. The doorman was not too cooperative, it was really ridiculous, nobody was waiting in line so we did not understand why. So we came back at 7h00. Dinner and wine were good.

The Romantique : Our favorite, smaller place, nice ambience with 2 persons playing violon. Service was a bit long but worth the wait. This one is a must.

Steak House: Food was not good and the choice of meals was poor. Ice cream or rice pudding was your choice of desert, we felt we were at the Buffet.

Buffet: I would say it was standard and comparable to other Cuban resorts. Always something to eat but most of the time it was not too warm. However, the breakfasts were good.

Rooms: We were in Bloc 36 on the 2nd floor as requested. Very well situated, close to everything including the beach. The room was nice and comfortable. Of course the beds were new so we slept very well. The room was well maintained but no fancy towels on the bed or flowers.

Shows: We only went once and it was so boring we did not bother trying another night. Maybe we just got unlucky. We have not tried the disco.

Beach : Very nice beach, enough chairs (at least until 10h30-11h00). It was very windy the first few days and chilly (20-21 C). Red and yellow flags all week. We had a few catamaran tours though (There are no extra fees for that). However, the beach is not hard at all, it is very difficult to walk, so if you like to walk a lot, you might be disappointed. The water was crystal clear and different shades of blues, very nice.

We would say it will become a 4 ½ stars in a few months with minor adjustments. The only thing is the 1h30 bus travel from the airport.

Enjoy your trip, we would recommend this hotel

Great Vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member canada123

I just came back form Melia Las Dunas on Sunday....Fantastic trip. Before I went there I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and everyone always stated that the Cuban people were so friendly and I kept thinking well how friendly can these people be??? Well they are probably the most friendliest people I have ever met!

The hotel was amazing, the rooms were really nice, clean and I have no idea how ANYONE can complain about them...Everything was in walking distance and close by. The food at the International buffet was really good. Tons of choices every night, pork, chicken, beef, and the fish they cook on the grill in front of you was so delicious......There are a couple of unidentifiable items but you just move on and find something else.....The Romantico restaurant was probably the best and the Italian was the 2nd best A La Carte restaurant....The Seafood place and the Steak House were a bust though. ...I know people read these reviews and say well it can't be that bad but TRUST me....And the other 3 people I went down with...They are BAD.....If you go to the Seafood restaurant you are better off getting the tuna steak and not any of the mixed fish platters as you will get lots of unidentifiable shellfish......Also the steak house beware of the steak. SERIOUSLY! My boyfriend asked for his medium rare and it came back only half cooked/ And I am talking about the outside of the steak not the inside. It was really gross. So if you do go there get the chicken....The Beergarden unfortunately was bad too. They have a layer of grease over the baguette every time (I'm not joking, it looks like they rolled it in grease before it was served!) we went there and the sausages were raw the first night we went there. (Of course it was at 3 am in the morning and the cooks probably didn't want to be bothered to cook it and just reheated it). Other than that I did not really find the cuban food bland as some would say and you will never go hungry. There is also an ice cream parlour that wasn't used very much but the ice cream was good! The snack bar at the pool was really good. They even have hamburgers and poutine!

The disco was good. Other than that though there is not much nightlife besides that and the nightly show. Here's a good tip. They seem to have a limited amount of music that they play so it might be a good idea to bring your own mixed tape. They will be more than happy to play it. Also the bartenders Mike and someother guy who teaches salsa lessons there were awesome......

Other than that the beach is amazing, tons of stuff to do, biking (Although beware it is a LONG bike ride to the next beach like a couple of hours and the bikes are rickidee but they still work. We only made it half way there but the other couple we went to who did make it said it was worth it but probably should have rented scooters instead as they are really cheap) The water sports include, basketball, paddle boating, The Hobie Cats, snorkeling, kayaking and canoeing....It was quite windy for most of our stay so there were alot of days that the flag was red on the beach but it did not matter as we still went into the water.....The waves were quite high but that made it that much funner with the inner tubes that we brought! The last day was really calm and clear so at least we go to enjoy that too.. There are tons of tennis courts, rock wall, a nice gym , spa and batting cage... We also went on a Forest Adventure which was really really fun....If you do get a chance to get off the resort I highly recommend this trip.

Just another trip English speakign people for the most part were defiantly the MINORITY.....Mostly French people and Italians.....I'm not going to post anything bad here but what you read about them in other peoples post I agree with 100% completely so be prepared!!!!

All in all this resort is definately a 4.5 star and it was the best vacation I ever had! I can confidently say that you will certainly enjoy it....

Advisory

by TripAdvisor Member KatMik

Since there are many reviews of how great the resort is, let me keep it short. I've stayed for a week at the Melia Las Dunas with my boyfriend during the first week of March 2007. It is a beautiful hotel and because it is brand new, it is clean. Nonetheless, we did encounter a few problems and I want to summarize these for those who are considering staying at the resort and are doing their research.

(1)...French tourists....Rude tourists.... .Beware if you speak no French! Ok - not sure if it was a coincidence or not but let me tell you - during my stay - it seems that 90% of the guests were french! Francais everywhere! Families, couples, screaming kids! Although an entire airbus arrived with people from Toronto - all we heard was French. I certainly mean no disrespect to french people, but the entire week, all we heard were french kids screaming, teenagers fighting and parents talking over top of each other....at the pool, on the beach, at the romantic restaurant where the violinist was attempting to play during dinner! At the table next to us, a full family with teenage kids was having a "sword" fight with the roses that were handed out at the door. Take that as you will.

(2)...Language Barrier! Maybe it's just a matter of time but let me assure you that English is a rarity among the staff. Very few staff speak any English at all. That's right - even at the front desk you have to use your hands and be very creative to be understood. It was frustrating and very discouraging at times when you ask for a drink, and they don't understand. You ask what is in the food, and they look at you perplexed.
Even the comment cards at the front desk came only in French and Spanish....so as frustrating as it is, we couldn't even leave any of our constructive feedback for the Resort.... Our comment card from Transat Holidays never made it to our room, apparently.

(3)...Airport Chaos. The luggage distribution at the airport at arrival is a nightmare! Absolutely as bad as I've ever seen it anywhere. Let me paint a picture - it's hot, and although the air-conditioning appears to be working in the single terminal - with 250 plus visitors who have just arrived, the single room is suddently very clausterphobic and sweltering. Especially since, the cuban officials unload all the luggage in the middle of the terminal! That's right. They remove your bags from the belt and place it amist the other 250 passengers. It is a mess! Stressful, as people are pushing and getting upset trying to locate their parcels amidst the other 500 bags scattered all over the place... and in the midst of it all, the Cuban security dogs are running around you and Cuban officials interrogating tourists in the middle of the terminal....

(4) Hotel Services....The hotel seems to have quite a few glitches in the system when it comes to towels, which were rarely left for us in our Suite. We had to call half a dozen times to remind them that we needed towels - and although they assured us they'd be delivered, none where. Also - last day - our TV broke.... and again, while we were assured twice that someone was coming to see it - noone ever came. Then again, I'm starting to wonder if anyone even understood what we were saying and asking for. We never received our wake up call, as requested and surprise, surprise - noone showed up to help with our bags as requested the morning we were leaving for the Airport.

(5) Tips!!.... Holy!! Let me tell you - I've read the reviews from the guests who attended the resort before me and took the advise of some to consider tipping the waiters and cleaning staff for better service. Apparently, however, many others took that advice as well. There was tipping everywhere!!! People were tipping the cooks, the cleaners, the entertainment staff, the waiters, the hosts, the musicians, etc.... So, if you think that a tip will get you anything at the resort - absolutely not. As a matter of fact, despite tips, on many occasions we ended up waiting 20 minutes for even water or wine at the buffet and a la carte restaurants and 15 minutes at the door to be seated at the restaurants. The maid in the room still forgot our towels and the cleaners still failed to sweep up the fresh soil from our front door that the rain washed in the night before.

(6)... Lounge Chairs........ Even though the hotel is only a few months old, most of the mesh lounge chairs by the pool are ripped and falling apart. Lounge chairs are very hard to come by if you show up the pool after 10am. You're better off waking up early and positioning yourself firmly around the pool with sunrise. Especially because, chances are that on your entire trip - you will not have an opportunity to find an empty lounge chair in the shade on the beach. People hold them for days at a time! That's right - people leave their clothes, their towels intertwined into the lounge chairs, shoes and hats the night before, "booking" them if you will..... and - apparently, this is completely allowed as no Resort staff ever stop people from doing so.

(7) ....Food.... The food is generally good and there is quite enough of it at the buffet restaurants. I do caution against the seafood restaurant though, as many tourists got quite violently sick after eating there on the week of our stay. Myself included.

Overall, we did have a nice time...despite all the problems we made the most out of it. We got a great deal on the resort on Selloffvacations.com, and I do not think that the resort if worth anything close to the full price now listed at approximately $1700/week per person. So, please ...do your research well. It has great potential in the future....but be forewarned that it is not without its numerous glitches.

Generally good experience at the MLD

by TripAdvisor Member LUVSTOGO

Have just returned from a week at Melia Las Dunas - March 16-24. Because I use various review sites a lot, thought it only fair that I record my impressions. This was my third trip to Cuba, having been to the Melia Varadero and the Iberostar Dacquiri in Cayo Guillermo. In case you don't want to read the whole review, I've offered conclusions at the beginning.

After my experiences at other Cuban resorts, I believe that it is in the area of food and bar/food service that MLD must work if it hopes to be a 5 star property, or even 4.5. Being new, and still building, they may be struggling with staff and not quite working out the glitches. Physically, it's an outstanding property, in a superb location, and it really could be one of the best resorts in the country. I hope they work out the kinks and reach their potential.

Would I go back? I tend not to return to the same place no matter how good it is, so probably not. MLD wasn't excellent enough for me to tell others that they must go there, nor bad enough for me to suggest that they shouldn't. All in all, we had a wonderful week, and I would certainly return to Cuba.

We were four senior ladies, travelling with Transat Holidays from Halifax with Westjet. No problems at either end - flights were smooth and on time. Airport in Cuba is small, but we didn't have much of a wait for luggage, and were on our way pretty quickly. We were the only flight, late at night, which I'm sure helped. At the resort, the Transat rep was around a lot - very helpful and seemed very concerned about how things were going. Again, no problems when leaving - a bit of a wait in the line to check in, but nothing major, and no problems with immigration.
MLD is physically stunning. The lobby is huge and beautiful. One concern - large expanses of marble tile in the same colour, with nothing to mark changes in elevation or edges of ramps, etc, were somewhat dangerous. Several of us almost walked into ponds or over the edge of the wheelchair ramp, and continually warned one another to "watch the edge." And no, we weren't tipsy!

The whole area around the entrance, with restaurants, ice cream parlour, beer garden, etc, is lovely, as are the grounds in general. Impeccably clean - and everyone seemed to help by putting garbage in one of the many containers at the pool, on the beach, and on the grounds. Even though the resort is new, there is a good deal of mature vegetation, and the flower beds are already really nice. I can imagine that in a few years the whole resort will be spectacular. The newer side (right side of a map) is still not completed, and we were only there at night when one of the staff gave us a little tour in "the limo" (stretched golf car, used for moving people around the resort if they didn't want to walk). We were told that not all rooms are open, and the landscaping was obviously still in progress. The plan is to make it adults only, but I got the impression that this is still just a plan - and that at the moment there is no differentiation.

We had requested adjoining rooms on the second floor, near the pool and beach. We got rooms across the hall (2413 and 2414) on the ground floor, very well located just at the end of the boardwalk to the beach, and very close to the pool. They would have moved us to second floor suites, but they were in the new side with king beds, so we chose to stay where we were. We had a bit of a walk to reception and restaurants, but not really far, and we needed the exercise. Don't be put off by people writing about having to walk for great distances. Not true - I'd guess not more than three or four minutes, and we were among the farthest away. Rooms are really nice - big and most attractive I've seen in Cuba - with comfortable beds, table and two armchairs, nice little patios with comfy chairs, screened patio doors, effective air conditioning, and everything in them that one could reasonalby want. Our only concern was with the bathtub, which is very high and somewhat scary to get in and out of. Grab bars helped, and there was a rubber mat, but still a little daunting. Anyone with real mobility problems would find it very difficult. Contrary to the Transat brochure, the rooms are not what I would call a suite, but rather the standard double pictured on the MLD website. Maid service was great, and there were lots of towels and toiletries.

The beach is gorgeous, with lots of lounges, but somewhat lacking in shade. There is one row of palapas, but no natural shade from trees. You have to find your spot early if you want shade. Sand is very soft and hard to walk in for long distances - might be OK at low tide - and if so, one could walk for a long way both directions. Lots of little bits of coral and shells at the edge of the water, and because of the wave action, high and low spots as you go out. We had lots of wind, and lots of waves. The water was beautifully warm, clear outside the riled up area, with very little seaweed. Hobiecats are new and readily available. We sailed three times in very wet but wonderful conditions.

The pool is big, and was a comfortable temperature when we were there. Some palapas, some umbrellas, and some natural shade from palm trees. When it was windy at the beach (which it was about half the time) there appeared to be a shortage of lounges at the pool - complicated by the fact that, as usual, some inconsiderate souls would claim them and then not show up. We often spent the morning at the beach, then had lunch, then moved to the pool. We did claim lounges early in the morning wherever we planned to set up camp, but when we left for any more than a short time, we took our stuff and hoped for the best later. We were always able to find a spot, but not always with the most comfortable lounges. No big issue! Towel service was great.

Service for the most part was good to excellent. One of our group had a birthday while there, and we got the full treatment - rum and champagne in the room, reservations at all the a la carte restaurants, brandy-soaked birthday cake, etc. Danika (spelling?) at Customer Service was outstanding!
Otherwise, we found service at the pool bar (no pool deck service - had to go to the bar- no big deal) generally good, but less so at the lobby bar. Tipping or not didn't seem to make a difference. We had mostly great service in the buffet restaurants, with some of the most handsome and friendly and accommodating waiters ever. Mini bar service was mixed - always got the water we requested, but bar was not stocked every day. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be - not sure on this one. We had good food and good service in the Italian restaurant, mediocre to bad food and great service in the Seafood Restaurant, great food and very poor service in the Romantica restaurant, and not bad food and good service in the Steakhouse. Food in the buffet restaurants was mixed. We had no trouble finding enough to eat, but rarely felt like raving about the food (except for the roast ham, roast suckling pig, and maybe the turkey.) They seemed to run out of stuff at the carving stations, and if you weren't there early, you missed out. Hot food was generally not hot, except when grilled on the spot, and there were some concerns about the cold food not being kept cold enough. Bread was great, as was cheese. I love Cuban coffee, but it was usually lukewarm. Had to work at getting hot tea. Wine was plentiful and pretty good.

By the way, I read much about mosquitos in the area. We went armed with repellant, which never came out of the bag. Except for the last night, when they were a bother in one part of the main lobby, we saw fewer than a half dozen all week.

Nice but missing something

by TripAdvisor Member 8mileshigh

I've been to Cuba 5 times now and the Las Dunas is probably the most impressive and clean one I've seen to date. It's brand new so I guess that explains it.

Rooms were comfortable but the matresses were not back friendly. Both my wife and I had sore backs after a half night of sleep. The little camping beds they gave the children were also not that comfortable.

One thing you have to know before going the MLD is that it's a huge resort and doesn't have the warmth and charm of a smaller resort. Be prepared to walk, walk and walk again. A return walk from the beach to room and back could easily take 25 minutes so naturally, we all had stiff calves after the first three days. The hotel is also seriously understaffed. I had to wait 2 hours just to reserve the a la carte restaurants. Lineups to exchange money were always in the half hour range and waits at any of the bars and shops were also very long.

While the food was quite good, the buffet restaurants were seriously understaffed. There were no bus boys at breakfast , we ate a dirty tables with the last guest's dirty dishes still on the table one morning. Staff in general, looked exhausted and unhappy, we felt sorry for them and tipped when ever we could but it didn't really seem to improve the service like it would at another hotel. I'd say that a hotel this size needs to significantly increase their resourses to deal with such a high volume of guests.

Finding a chair at the pool was like finding a needle in a haystack and many of them were ripped. We found it annoying with the same dance CD playing loudly over and over again day after day.

Despite it being very beautiful, the Las Dunas just didn't do it for us. It felt like a massive Quebec tourist coumpound with very little Cuban charm.

Our experience last year at the Sol Pelican in Cayo Largo was infinitely better.

Most Beautiful Beach EVER!

by TripAdvisor Member Cubabeachlover

Let me start by saying no one is nicer then a Cuban!

I will start with the Airport just to give you a heads up if you are planning a trip to Santa Clara Area. The Airport is VERY SMALL so thing move extra slow and some of the washrooms have no TP or toilet seats. Not a big deal and has nothing to do with the resort itself!

On arrival we (as in 3 buses of people) where rushed into a meeting room were we where given an envelope with our room keys, a map and several other things you need to know about the resort. Not bad because it helped make the check in a lot quicker. Our luggage was already in our rooms so we headed over there right away.

The Rooms

We requested a king size bed but that is only if available (You know that fine print). Very clean, very roomy and very new. I believe we might have been the first people to sleep in the beds.
Bathroom was a nice size and everything worked. We where missing a coffee maker and no alarm clocks. The Coffee wasn't such a big deal to us but the alarm clock was a little more of a pain. All things you can get over.

The Beach

AMAZING!!!!!!!!! We have been to Mexico's Mayan Riviera and Cayo Coco Cuba before and this was by far the best beach I have ever seen. The water was crystal clear with many shades of blue and the sand was soft like powder almost. The water was refreshing but not cold. The Beach comes complete with a little bar that serves the basics, beer and mixed drinks. Nice but busy

The Food

Breakfast was a right off for us. I hate buffet breakfast to begin with and this was the worst meal of the day. But still there is great bread, pastry's and some fruit. Buffet breakfast started at 7 and ended at 9 which was a little early for us some mornings. There was a 24 hour bar where you could get your pastries and order a small breakfast which was open a little later and was a little better.
Lunch was much better as long as it wasn't the buffet. There was 2 pool restaurants (where we eat most of the time) a beach restaurant (Great Fish, Chicken and small salad buffet), and Grill which we never even made it too and a Cuban Grill which was almost the same as the pool.
Supper was a little more hit or miss. The buffet was very good right at 7pm when it opened otherwise we found the food got cold quickly. Also there where 4 A La Carts we eat at all.
First was Seafood I would recommend you say away for the Sautéed Shell Fish and for sure get the garlic soup. We also had the Tuna Steak which was very good and the Fish Brochette which was a Kabob which was equally as good.
Second was Steak house, might have been the best for us. We ordered ribs and had a special order because one of us was a Vegetarian, both was VERY GOOD!
Third we had Italian. 2 of the 4 dinners where good. What we ordered had bacon and we didn't really like Cuban Bacon so that was not a good choice on our part but again the soup really good.
Last was the Romantic, our last night! Again 3 of the 4 meals where very good. The one meal that wasn't enjoyed I personally liked and someone else didn't. So I guess that would depend on what your preferences are.
Over all the food was pretty good considering you are dealing with a lot of new Cuban cooks trying to cook Canadian Meals. I believe you will always find something but you may have to try a few things first.

Lobby Bar and Night Life
Lobby bar had great coffee and cappuccinos, as well drinks where always good. Service was a little slow in this area which we believed it had to do with so many new staff and the English was pretty broken.
Nightly Shows. One night, from a far it seemed like it was very good but another night we stuck around and watched a little more and it was not good, not at all. But again that is my personal taste; I just find the shows a little boring at most of the resort we have been too.
As for the disco, we never took part but every night it was packed just like a night club. It diffeniitly looked like the place to be. I am sorry I missed it.

Pools
We stayed on the Right side of the resort which I believe is the Adult side. It was much more quiet and the bartenders where the best! Rene was our favorite but all where very good.
As for the other side of the resort there are more family's and all the activities are done there, like dancing, volleyball etc. We are the more quiet type so stuck to our side, otherwise known as the adult’s side. Water was a little cold at the beginning of the week but seem to get warmer as the week went on. I figured it must of just been filled it was that cold! By the way we never had trouble finding chairs, at the beach or the pool.

Excursions
We only did one excursion and it was to Santa Clara. If you want to see Cuba in its raw form I would recommend this trip for sure. It was well worth the money for us. It is a long day but a great experience. We felt very safe and welcomed.

I really enjoyed myself but if you like order and perfection this is not the place for you. The resort is still so new it has some work to do on service and appearance. Nothing we couldn't over look for the great price. I believe this resort has 4 1/2 star potential but is just under a 4 right now. Maybe in 6 months to a year they will have it better together but remember you will not get it for the prices you can now. Also English is not the first language spoke at this resort, French and Spanish is.
Would I go back, probably, but I have other resorts and places to see first.

F-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c

by TripAdvisor Member pavelbure

How can I say something wrong about that superb place ? Impossible. The rooms are perfect and clean. The gym is brand new and very well equiped. The food is delicious. The cuban speaks French, Italian, Spanish and English. The 2 pools are 60 feet long, one is very busy and the other one is quiet. The beachs and the sea are marvelous and there is waves on the sea. The water of the sea is quite warm.

The place is very clean all over. The people there are clean and beautiful.

The tennis court are big, clean and nice and, you can ride with bicycle (7 km) or taking a cab to the end of the island to go swimming at the natural Playa perla blanca beach where you can practice nudism on that never end spectacular hidden beach.

i don't know why people complaints from NB

by TripAdvisor Member NbFlowergirl

We were 2 couples going at the resort and the 4 of us can not understand why peolple are complaining.Everything was great. Everyone are so friendly and they do everything for you.Sure there was thing that wasn't perfect but it can happen everywhere even here in Canada.I'm a french canadian from NB Canada and it's true that SOME other french canadian can be pain in the [--] but we met nice one too

Needs help

by TripAdvisor Member JCJCMontreal

Overall nice hotel and excellent beach. Hotel missing in quality of food and variety. Cleanliness could be improved. Staff are very pleasant but service is very slow at the bars.

This is definitely not a 4.5 or 5 star hotel.

Right now it is a 3 star hotel. Much improvement necessary.

How to get from Santa Clara to Melia Las Dunas

by Silverflyer

Hi,

Please could somebody advise me, I'm travelling by Viazul bus from Havana to Santa Clara, I then need to get from Santa Clara to Melia Las Dunas in Cayo Santa Maria, does anybody have any suggestions on how to travel this sector of my journey,
how much will a taxi cost?
is there a safe bus/coach that operates a service?
how long is the journey?

Any advice is welcome

Thanks & regards

RE: How to get from Santa Clara to Melia Las Dunas

by russian_yaz

Hello...This hotel is located in Jardines de la Reina cay so forget about regular bus. Only taxis can take U there. Also look for buses that take tourists from Santa Clara to the hotel and if U talk with their guide they will allow U to take advantge of the ride...good look!

RE: How to get from Santa Clara to Melia Las Dunas

by fallingnow

By taxi.
It going to cost you between 15CUC and 30CUC...no more than.
Good luck.