Oasis Playa Coco

Carretera Cayo Guillermo, Moron, Jardines del Rey, Caribbean

More about Oasis Playa Coco

Playa Coco, Cayo Coco

by Marmalade about Playa Coco

Fantastic hotel, great facilities, good food! Italian, seafood & Japanese a la carte restaurants plus international buffet. 4 Star Plus rating. Beachfront. CD player, hairdryer, free digital code safe in room. All in all a fantastic service, would definitely go back.

Great Vacation at Playa Coco

by TripAdvisor Member CamRose

Our family returned from a truly relaxing and wonderful vacation at the Playa Coco. We have stayed in several hotel areas in Varadero, and we enjoyed this holiday just as much! It was quiet and the seas were mostly calm. We took advantage of snorkeling at the reef and it was amazing!!!! The hotel view was beautiful and the food was very very good. We are heading back to Playa Coco for the Spring Vacation. We had a great time with the facilities, beach and the people! Thanks to all the wonderful people who made our holiday such a special one!

Beware

Playa Coco hotel is a well run and pleasant destination. HOWEVER there is a serious issue with mosquitoes. This led to many problems with all guests being bitten daily. It was a great shame to have a holiday spoilt by something out of the control of the hotel.
The nightlife there is very quiet, focusing around the piano bar.

great holiday

by TripAdvisor Member jewelEssex_England

Nine of us went to Playa Coco 14 to 29 September, had a lovely holiday. The hotel was only opened in February so everything is new and has a lot of "growing to do", trees and plants etc.! The staff were excellent, especially the barman, Yodani and Juan, also the reception staff were very friendly, especially Akemy. The waitresses, particularly Yolinda, and waiters and chefs were all very helpful and kind. Food was good, plenty of it. Entertainment was good but finished early. Rooms were very good, clean with bottled water left in the fridge every day.
The pools were very clean but the "quiet pool" I think needs sun umbrellas because if you need a change from the lively pool, there is no shade. The Thomas Cook rep Felix was very good. The trips were excellent. Six of our party went on the Jungle trip and said it was brilliant. Two went on the catamaran which was also good. We all went on the Colourful Cuba excursion and this included a variety of things, trip on a horse and carriage, a speedboat trip through the mangroves, a steam train ride through the sugar plantations etc. It was great. I would recommend on your return journey to pay 20 dollars for the VIP lounge at the airport. Well worth it, food and drink included! The only downfall with Playa Coco is the mosquitoes, recommend taking plenty of repellant! Plenty of nightlife around the hotel! By this I do not mean clubs or bars, as there is nothing around! I do mean the crabs and frogs and cattle. Quite big crabs walk around the resort and in the reception lobby, its great! We all had a brilliant time and would recommend this hotel. It will get even better as it is established. As the English and Canadians get on so well, it makes it a very friendly atmosphere.

Very Good, would definately return

by TripAdvisor Member harley_08

I visited Playa Coco from 5 September to 10 (7 day visit was cut short b/c of Hurricane Ivan). I went via Toronto and booked through Conquest Vacations there were 7 adults in our party.

This has been my third trip to Cuba, first was Beaches Varadero and second was Breezes Holguin.

We were met at the airport and checked in there and then, bus journey to hotel was only 10 minutes and we were met with refreshments and were able to go straight to our rooms - although we had paid for the cheapest room we all got beachfront rooms without even asking.

Beach at hotel is lovely, but if you want a beach hut you have to be up by 7am!!! People get up at 7 am and reserve them by leaving towels and t-shirts, if you come down at 9 you cannot get one. I spent all my time at the beach but noticed that a lot of people would reserve a beach hut all day but only use it for an hour or so.

Food was great - after my previous visits to Cuba I was not expecting the cuisine to be up to much but this was REALLY good, I was very surprised - Seafood restaurant was excellent and so was the Italian, we did not get to visit Japanese due to holiday being cut short. At buffet there was always an excellent choice of food everything was very clean and well looked after.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we did tip at every meal and left gifts for the maid everyday.

Rooms were very clean and well looked after, bed was made every day but like at most hotels if you wanted your sheets changed you just left a note on the bed requesting this and it was done. New towels were also provided if you left the old ones in the bath.

I would definately recommend this resort and rated it much better than the previous hotels I have visited in Cuba, if I return to Cuba it would definately be to Playa Coco.

The only bad service we received during our trip was from Conquest Vacations, who flew everyone back early due to the Hurricane and neglected to have representatives at the airport, so we arrived at Toronto Airport at 1.45 am with no where to stay for that night, we found our own accomodation in the end, but it would have been nice if a rep from Conquest was available to help us find accomodation after all not everybody who flies from Toronto lives locally. That has put me off booking through them again.

Un-biased View

Firstly I would like to say that after having read all the reviews I think there are far more better things to worry about - such as starving children - than the grounds of this resort! As quoted by lots of people on this website!!

We stayed at the Playa Coco from 25th August - 8th September. Booked with Thomas Cook and flew with Monarch - unfortunatly no tvs on backs of seats. apart from that, good flight.

On arrival at the airport, if you want your passport stamped ask for it. they will not do it otherwise. I also got my magazines checked going through immigration - why?, I cant tell you that.
Expect Cayo Coco to be quiet with not lots going on.

The hotel was really nice. Being an active kind of girl I was worried that I was going to be bored stiff during the 2 weeks, but that wasnt the case. If you want to participate in activies there is lots to do. It is true that the entertainment staff take over Volleyball but you can join in and you will feel welcomed. Ladies there is a really fit guy there whose body is absolutely amazing!! The entertainment is average but enjoyable. Spent most of the time laughing at the comperes wriggly worm dancing and greetings of "ladies and germans"! As well as "applause for him". All the comperes sound like fair ride controllers. It is hilarious.

The hotel I found, was clean. Also in regards to food. If most of you read a guide to Cuba about food - there are reason as to why the food is bland - mainly due to the fact that we cant stomach it. The spices would be to much for us to handle. Also, this is a Communist country. The food was edible.

The beach is amazing. You can walk right up to one end which will take what seemed forever. The water is crystal clear and the sand is white. Watch out for the jellyfish though. When the tide is out they seem to surface - this is not very often mind you.

Bring lots of Mosquito repellent with you at night - and remember to wear long trousers or a top that covers shoulders and arms when you go to the Fish restaurant because you will get bitten alive. Keep windows in your room closed at all times and put the air conditioning on to keep your room free from these devils.

The sun is really strong so can I suggest a high factor of 30-40 for your first 4 days. I did, and I have still got my tan 2 weeks later! The key is to build it up.

The best restaurant is the Japanese.

Dont forget to have lots of $1 in change to give as tips starting from the minute you land in Cuba. Also, please bring lots of toiletries that you can leave behind for the staff.

The Piano bar in the evening is fun and the disco is funny too. Not crowded, but you can get served quicker in there.
Do go to Havana - like I said to lots of people there it is pointless going to Cuba and not the capital. HAvana is brilliant and steeped in lots of history and culture. With all the old 50s american cars you feel like you are in a time warp. Buy your cigars from there as they are fresher. Prices are the same as in the hotel.

I loved Cuba and would def go back again and probably back to the same hotel. No matter what anyone says on this website I loved the resort. Remember it is still a new complex and in time any initial hiccups im sure will be smoothed out.
Also, I forgot to mention that the pool temperature is normal.

For all you parents, the kids programme is brilliant. I dont have any children but as an outsider I could tell that they were being well looked after and entertained. I think this is a key highlight.

Well, enjoy your hols at Playa Coco.

Mosquito Hell Holiday

We went to the Playa Coco from the 1st of September to the 15th and could not wait to get away.
Mosquitos, despite taking precautions (sprays etc..) we collect 30+ bites from head to foot and through our clothes on our first visit to the "Sea food restaurant" on the beach. It was a constant battle every night but we still got bit every night 4 to 5 times +. The bites prevented us from sleeping, so we were feeling generally rundown during the whole holiday.
Information or total lack of it was the order of the day the hotel was very poorley organised people were wandering around with no idea where their room was or any of the facilities.
Entertainment: rubbish during the day a little better at night if you were willing to face the insect attack in the open air theatre.
The Food: Generally bland, boring and luke warm at best.
Bar service was very poor and slow (God knows how long it would have taken if they had had to take money as well).
Cleanleness:
The public bathrooms throughout were in a most un-hygenic state
Rooms:
Spacious but damp bed linen was only changed once during our entire stay and that was after we complained. beds were made but floor was not cleaned.
Both myself and my wife suffered bad stomachs during our stay mine lasted six days.
We suffered a few flea bites but knew others who had much worse attacks.
We happened to be there during hurricane Ivan, l dont blaim anyone for the weather but our tour operator and the hotel managed to panic us over the last days of our holiday with the way they dealt with the situation, whilst everyone else was getting out of there we were told to stay put. What with the stress of the insect attacks and the stress of the the uncertain safety l and my wife do not feel we have had a holiday at all.
This is not a 4+ star hotel by any stretch of the imagination
We had a much better holiday last year at Varedero
Unfortunately this experience has put me off Cuba.

give this one a miss

by TripAdvisor Member westiekate

we went to playa coco for a week 1st to the 9th of september. After seeing the reviews we were a little worried about the holiday but you cant always believe other peoples opinions...can you?
We went with Thomas Cook on monarch air (terrible food and service) which was delayed both going and returning.
Our first impression of cuba was the immigration (scary) all our luggage was checked and hand luggage also my husband was called back and had his passport looked over again and again ...was asked if he smoked ????? dont ask me!...
Our first impression of the hotel was butlins in the 1970's (british will know what i mean) coloured blocks of rooms all very square spartan looking.
However the room was clean and had everything you need (people who arrived with us had informed them it was there anniversairy and were upgraded to a suite with sparkling wine and fruit )
You recieved a ticket on arrival to obtain your beach towels and were informed non return meant a $20 fine for each towel......on the second day one of ours was stolen off our sun bed we had only left it a few mins to go to our room ....i informed the towel man who basically told me it happens all the time steal another ...i informed the rep who didnt want to know ......so i thought i would break the chain of stealing and when the truck came with the clean towels i swiftly walked past it and snuck one off (my husband tried twice but said he couldnt as there were three big blokes there ...i was determind i wasnt going to pay any fine!!!!!)
The pool was loud and full of kids who didnt seem to have any parents ....in fact i didnt see any of them with parents until they were on plane going home ....the beach was quieter... the woman's voice organising activities was enough to drive you mad (loud raucious)
The beach was a thin strip of white with a broader scraggy section the sun beds were on but the sea is clear and lots of fish.....
We didnt tip until the end of our week and picked out those deserving however some tipped thoughout our service was generally good we were never ignored and bar service was similar to that on a fri night in your local...people were served in order
The food ..the buffet awful .....the desserts yuk ...and my husband was ill for three days
The special restruants were better but you have to queue to book between 10-12 in am the japanese being the best (everyone tipped the chef)
In breakfast the service was ad hoc depending on waiter some would fetch coffee and orange some wouldnt we found the outside waiters the best.
The drink comes in small plastic glasses the men were not happy but generally ok and available 24 hrs i drank wine most of the time.... branded spirits available.
i would not go back to the play coco and in fact would not go to cuba again i find the service and standard of hotel much better in malaysia etc
It was not a 4.5 star hotel

Don't Go Here!

by TripAdvisor Member brawas

The food was ok. The people were great. Cleanliness is a MAJOR issue. Here's what I experienced:

-Since the first day I got there, there was a big pile of horse doo on the resort walkway to the beach. It remained there for 3 days after which it got kicked off to the grass (just off the stone walkway) where it remained for the remainder of our stay and is probably still there.

-Fleas! Many of the people we met there had problems with having fleas in their rooms. They ended up in our bags and came back to Canada with us too.

-Found bugs in our food more than once. And they are not flying insects that landed in there, they are crawling insects that were cooked in.

-The maid would make our bed, and that's it. She would leave everything else untouched, dirty napkins, dirty floor, dirty washroom, filthy under the bed.

-I fell off a Moped I rented which gave me some bad scrapes. The onsite nurse and doctor (costed me $30US) said it was fine, not to cover it and gave me nothing but iodine for it. Showed it to them everyday and they said it was fine. Got back to Canada, showed it to my family doctor, said it was infected, gave me some antibiotics, cleaned and wrapped it.

-beach had lots of broken shells and seaweed all over

-recycled food! I would constantly notice food from breakfast brought back out for lunch and lunch brought back for dinner. I can tell it is the same because the cheese would dry up, the fries were sometimes re-fried, and trust me if you go, you can tell.

The only good things about the resort were the service from most of the staff (except the maids) and big rooms. But the filth makes it a no go. I would not recommend this resort or go back to Cayo Coco at all. I've been to 3* resorts in Varadero that were cleaner, and more fun. In Cayo Coco, there is literally NOTHING outside your resort.

Cayo Coco

by hermenie

Me and my family went to the Cayos in February 2006 We stayed at the Playa Coco Hotel.

Here we are having our last supper at the Italien restaurant

Arriving at the Airport in Ottawa.

Hotel Playa CocoHotel Playa Coco

Cayo cocoCayo coco

bites.bites.

Tema CaribeTema Caribe

Oasis Playa Coco?

by irishratgirl

My mother and I will probably be holidaying in Cayo Coco late this october to early november. We have noticed that The Oasis Playa Coco is quite cheap for an all inclusive deal, however I have read very mixed reviews on this hotel including many which said that the staff were unfriendly. Has anyone here stayed in this hotel before and if so how did they find their stay? Are the staff unfriendly? I would really sppreciate any information on the hotel or the area in general.

Oh and How much money in euros would be an acceptable ammount for two weeks? We are on a relativly flexable budget but all the same.....

Re: Oasis Playa Coco?

by neverstoptravel

I've read many positive comments online as well. It's a 4star hotel.

I am not sure how cheap it is, you may try www.fastbooking.com to get a decent discount on Melia's resorts.

Best resort

by hiandyp

Hi am planing a trip, last week november, first week december to cayo coco, staying at oasis playa coco, but now am thinking of changing to, cayo guillermo, staying at sol cayo guillermo, the reason being i have heard the fishing is better here, and while the wife sunbathes, i might be able to fish from the shore, could any body put me right on this. Also, what sort of weather should i expect, not to wet i hope, thanks.

Re: Best resort

by barbie00

Hi,

Me and my partner are going to cayo guillermo and stopping in the sol cayo guillermo on the 11th november for two weeks. Its our first time so i couldnt tell ya what the weather will be like. Sorry. Hopefully good though cos were getting married whilst were out there!!! Might see ya there then! x

Fishing, Cayo Coco

by OrangeFreddy

Hola, I have loads of information about fishing on Cayo Coco - did you book there in the end?
Weather will be changeable sun and cloud, the sun shines straight through the cloud though because it's tropical strength!! Hardly any rainfall in Nov/Dec compared to wet season (Aug, Sept), look on BBC Weather for full stats: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT003180

Adios..

playa coco

by di57

We have not been to Cuba before and we will be staying at the playa coco at the end of September.
I would be grateful if anybody could tell me whether or not this hotel has a beach towel service.
Also any other info would be nice.
I have read good and bad about this hotel and need reassurance!
Is it very windy at this time of year?
I dont care really cause I just want to get there!
7 weeks to go!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone that reads this.Please reply.

Re: playa coco

by AnjaV

Check this out:

Re: playa coco

by bidsi

cuba is fantastic, we stayed at Cayo Guillermo but know people who have stayed at the playa coco for three years running and are going again next year so what better feedback can you get than that! Most of the hotels there supply the towels, some ask for a deposit and all charge if you loose them (about $10 per towel) so keep hold of them. Have a great time

Re: Re: playa coco

by andyjenk

Hotel names do seem confusing! Bidsi is wrong about friends having stayed at the Playa Coco for 3 years as it only opened 2004, although the comments are probably valid. Looking at other websites the reports for the Playa Coco Hotel seem to be improving, although there are still a number who appear to have had problems.

Comments