Jardines Del Rey, Ciego de Avila Province, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Svetlana_L's Profile Photo

Good stay at Cayo Coco-Sol Cayo Coco

I like this hotel very much. We were travelling through Central Cuba and we came to this hotel without any pre-booking and got a nice room. I think almost all rooms are good there. On top of it we found that this hotel was cheaper then the next fancy Melia Cayo Coco. It has a free atmosphere. Food was excellent (unfortunately only international - we were not lucky to try real Cuban cuisine). For those who likes shows there is good entertainment in the evening. The hotel has a big territory.
    I would recommend it for anybody - for those who would spend weeks there or just for couple days.

More about Sol Cayo Coco

Jungle Tour highly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member moreholsthanku

after spending 2 weeks at the sol cayo coco in coco cayo, I can understand the only underlying complaint, of all the previous reviews, is that the hotel itself does not rate a 4*. with the staff, from entertainers to chamber maids, there are no real gripes, nor with the food. only the building and surrounding areas would not pass many "health and safety" checks. in my view and that of many there, you pay for what you get. unfortunately 3* would be a fair rating, then no-one would have cause to moan!!! having said that, we had a good enough time, met some lovely people, got a suntan and made the best of it.

Take no notice of these good reviews!!

I have just spent two weeks (Xmas and New Year) at the Sol Cayo Coco with 19 friends and family. We paid around £1300 each to stay in a 4* Thomas Cook Hotel. This hotel is between 2 and 3 star in our view. This is the first time I have been ready to come home half way through the 2nd week in 9 years of Holidaying at this time of the year.

The organisation skills of the entertainment staff, management, bar staff and catering staff was disgusting. New years summed it up when the management decided to stop all entertainment and start speeches with 5 minutes to go to midnight. These speeches were given in Spanish, French, German, English and CHINESE!! and ran over into the New Year.

I put my shirts in for ironing (at $1.70 / shirt) and they came back worse than I originally sent them. I sent them again and they came back the same. I then did them myself!!

The popular food disappeared in seconds and did not come out for another 10 minutes. The food was below 4* standard.

I know I am moaning, but if Thomas Cook had told me it was 2 or 3 star I could accept some of this, but I paid for 4 star. That is 4 star worldwide, not a different 4 star because it's in Cuba.

We went around the bay to the Tryp hotel, another 4 star Hotel. The food was presented and varied in a much better way than the Sol Cayo Coco, the entertainment staff came and sat with us and asked us to join in the activities even though we were not residents and overall the Hotel seemed considerably better. We even looked at the rooms and they were of an equal standard to the Sol Cayo Coco.

My advice, don't go.

Take no notice of these bad reviews!

by TripAdvisor Member dramaqueen86

Wow, I posted a review last year called "excellent, the best holiday EVER" and it still is! We returned to the Sol Cayo Coco last summer, and it has not changed one bit. It is still fantastic! The Thomas Cook rep was lovely (Julie) - take loads of magazines for her, as you can't get them there- the only bad thing about this holiday was the flight! Which had nothing to do with the hotel! (Only cos it is 10 1/2 hours and there was this idiot behind me!Please take no notice of other people's negative reviews! What do you expect? The drinks "watered down"- it is an LEDC the cubans have NOTHING! It must drive them mad to throw food out just because it has been displayed before, there was a man cooking fresh pizzas, meat, (I am a vegetarian and they cooked a plate of vegetables for me every time I booked the beach bar!)Cuba is an AMAZING holiday. Look out for Erik, he is lovely, so friendly. unfortunatly Euri and Yamaletta (Last years friends) weren't there. But Erik realy made our holiday complete!We left a present for the maids, at the end of the holiday, just simple stuff like a t shirt, shampoo and a few pens. They were practically in tears. And there are some people on this site complaining that their coke got watered down! How deprived are you!?

Great getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Raphaëlle

My spouse and I have just gotten back from the Sol Cayo Coco ( Jan 28th to feb 4th). I really wanted to write a review since I had consulted this site prior to booking our vacation. All the reviews were so different the I did not know what to expect, so I decided that I would take a chance and believe the good reviews. I am happy to say that our trip was just wonderful and I cannot understand why some travellers were so displeased by the Sol Cayo Coco! The beautiful lobby, the oceanview room that we did not even request, the pleasant and very helpful staff, the beautiful beaches, the variety of the food, etc...everything was great! We did not participate in the evening entertainment, but we heard from other travellers that it was good. The a la carte restaurants were good, the buffet always had fresh meat/fish/ vegetable and fruit, with a little of everything to please even the pickiest eater. The breads were awsome! There is a beatiful secluded beach on the other side of the rocky peninsula that is quiet and the sand is like flour! We even snorkled at the rocky point and saw a ray, octopus and a variety of tropical fish! To help describe to you the extent of the helpfulness of the staff, once we unpacked my spouse and I realised we both forgot our hairbrushes ( this is a problem as my spouse has very long hair) so we went to the little gift/tobacco shop to buy one...unfortunately, none of the shops had hair brushes for sale, nor did the hairdresser(?!!)...We were desperate since Cayo Coco is far from any village! Then a clerk at the gift shop gives us her hairbrush and offers to buy one for us when she goes to town. She was so nice and I felt so unconfortable accepting this, but necessity won over my uneasiness. 2 days later she was back with a new hairbrush and insisted on not being paid ( of course we paid her and gave her a great tip!). Anyways, I cannot for the life of me understand what could be so wrong at the Sol that someone would write a bad review.You have to put things into perpective, have an open mind and be willing to let go a little...you're on vacation for goodness sake, it's 28C, the sun is shining, the ocean is blue and you have sand between your toes! What else do you want?

Mini Club Nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member 1111SouthWales

We came back from the Sol Cayo Coco on 18th December 2003 and while I wasn't going to bother doing this review, I then thought that other parents of small children should know about the mini club.We chose this hotel, despite the poor reviews, because it had a mini club that would accommodate our 3 year old daughter. We intended to leave her in the mini club half a day each day while we enjoyed the water sports. The first time we took her we watched from the hidden vantage point of the sewage pump hut (very stinky when the weather is hot) not far from the mini club hut (on the beach, fenced on three sides only). We only left her there for half an hour because the women were in the hut and the kids outside. Things were no better a few days later when we saw one of the women smoking while looking after the kids. The miniclub hut is pretty small (we went in low season), the play area is also small. I bet it gets pretty crowded in there in high season (that's if anyone apart from those determined to get what they pay for actually leave their kids there). On the two occassions that we did leave our daughter, when we asked if we needed to sign her in we were told that we could do that when we picked her up. We pressumed that this was in case they lost her and then they could deny that they'd ever seen her.Other complaints from parents while we were there.... no drinks are available for the kids in the mini club hut, one child was smacked for crying for her parents, other guests wander in to the sand area (where the women sitting watching TV can't see them), etc.On a brighter note in 2 block lots of people had things stolen from their rooms. My mental check list is up to; all my daughters Barbie swimwear, Barbie beach shoes and Barbie water wings; 3 tee shirts; beach shoes; a swimming ring.Yes, everyone is right, this hotel is at best a 3* and that is by Cuban standard. Sol hotels need to treat people with more respect (I'll never trust a Sol rating again) and do some restoration work on this property. The pool is also a dissapointment and the brochure doesn't give the reality.Ants in your room tend to come in on the flowers that the maid decorates the beds with and if you have the room sprayed it clears them up. Also, jellyfish stings were abundant and you need to take liquid antihistamine on holiday for you & the kids.However, we had a good holiday, not the holiday we planned but the staff were nice, some were great Eric, Norbert, "pool chef" and the outside breakfast waiting staff. The jungle tour was epic. The food was always edible, sometimes it was really good.Am I glad I've been there? Definately, now I don't ever have to go to this hotel in the future.

Nice place

Great place. Good hearty food, though not sophisticated, but what do you expect for that price (very low fares). Lots of variety in the menus. For those who complain, consider eating out in Miami Beach ($150 US per couple, for greasy food that gives heartburn). Many European guests, which is nice for us North Americans. Nice beach. Pleasant staff. Clean premises. Drinks honest. Never seen one that was watered down (if you just want to get plastered and think it's watered down, take an extra drink. It's free anyway). I would go back anytime. It sure beats -40 in Canada Marc Dauphin

4* My Butt

My family and I flew to and paid for a 4* but arrived at a 2* at best.
I'll start with the good. The pool was very nice the water was a little cool in the AM so it woke you up. The beach was nice, very clean but at high tide very narrow. Their were a few resort employees on the beach to get you your loungers so that was nice. I have 2 children that we put into the kids club. My older child 3-12 loved it (Yompi was the teacher) Yompi took her everywhere and always made a point of calling over to her whenever she saw my daughter. My youngest 0-2 had a teacher that was ok not the friendliest I felt. The room 3rd floor was quite big with the best view of the ocean anywhere. THE BAD. Most of the staff were prety good except for the front desk staff. We had to get our key recoded all but 2 days of the week and the last time I had the key recoded I got attitude when I told her that I or my spouse had to do this every day. The food. DISGUSTING! I am not a picky eater and have been to Cuba before so I thought I new what I was in for. Bland but edible food and lots of it. I will eat anything I don't have to chase down on my plate but this I wish had run away at the time because it continues to run away now. I spent the last 4 days eating plain bread and bananas so I wouldn't have to keep running to the washroom all day. The food that I did have the first 3 days wasn't great. The food that the cooks/chefs were cooking always dripped with cooking oil.
Most of the food at the buffet was a greasy mystry, did I mention greasy. Breakfast didn't seem to be anything special from what I saw but I can't really say seeing as I couldn't eat it. The room had a fantastic view but I still can't figure out what that redish brown stain on the beadspread was. I didn't want to sit on the beadspread so we always folded it over, that got the stain out of sight. At the orintation our rep told us that their would be a room for us to shower in befor it was time to leave to go to the airport. An hour and a half befor we were to catch the bus my spouse and I went to the front desk to see about the room and were told that the hotel was booked up and their were no rooms available to take a shower in. We had just spent the whole day at the beach and were a little grimy to say the least. We asked about the gym shower and were told that they had just painted the shower. I was starting to get upset because we were promised this room so my spouse and I went down to the gym to see. The gym shower was not just painted from what I could see. I don't think it has ever been painted (jumping up to see in a window). It was where they were storing new windows. This just seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back. Now they had lied to us. We went back up to the front desk and they still refused to give us a room. My spouse did all the talking because she new I might say something and get myself in trouble. Again they stated they had no rooms available. We took our shower out at the pool. When we came back to the front desk a couple that were flying out at the same time as us were going to a room to shower. All the front desk staff said was "we found an empty room". I will never go back to this resort and I sudgest with all of the nicer and newer resorts in cuba that you pass on this resort also.

brilliant holiday

We have just got back from Cuba and had a fantastic time. We have been to the caribbean a number of times and Cuba is our favourite. Yes I agree with other reviews that according to British standards that this hotel doesn't fit the 4* standards but this is to be expected taking in consideration the country and the price.

The Cuban people are lovely, so friendly and ready to help. The hotel was clean and presentable, it must be very hard to maintain when open all year! We had a lovely room overlooking the pool and the beach, truly awesome.

The food was fresh and tasty, not a lot of spice but we read that the Cubans are known for being rather bland in there cusine unlike other caribbean Islands.

The beaches were fantastic, white sand & clear blue sea. Take some bread to feed the fish, a fantastic experience. There are jelly fish but no one I knew got stung, they have to live somewhere! Lots of birds pelicans and humming birds etc.

The entertainment staff were excellent, they didn't force you to join in but gently encouraged you. They put so much effort into the shows and they were very enjoyable. We got to know a few of them very well, look out for Lewis with the pony tail, he's a lovely lad, kept my husband Karl busy with chess and TRIED to teach me to Salsa dance. Try and stay up at least once to see the live Salsa band at the disco they are not on until 12am on Tuesdays and Thursdays but the dancing by the Cubans is awesome!

We pretty much just chilled out due to stress before the holiday, however we did go horseriding on the beach and on the jungle tour which were both brilliant. A friend we met went on the dolphin trip and said it was amazing. I did it in Jamaica so I didnt bother this time but if you haven't done it do it here its so much cheaper! This holiday did me so much good it relaxed me just what a holiday is meant to do. Everyone is different so try it for yourself and remember a holiday is what YOU make it!

If you do go say a big hello and kiss to Jodanice and Lewis from Karl & Tracy.

Wonderful Cuba

by luikje61

"Havana"

We first visited Cuba in February 2004. The first 3 days we went to Havana and it was love at first sight! What an amazing place it is. There is so much to see: you would need several weeks to explore all the different areas. We concentrated on the centre and the old part. This is full of old colourful buildings, some renovated, some crumbling. You can see the Spanish/Moorish influences (courtyards, tiles, glass stained windows), but also an eclectic mixture of all sorts of other styles. You can sit and have a drink and enjoy the mostly cheerful live music, which really is everywhere. If you like your 50s American old-timers there’s still plenty of those cruising around on the streets of Havana. There are many historical buildings (churches, palaces, hotels etc.) to visit, reminders of the political goings-on, squares to sit on and watch the lively Cubans interact, balconies with mostly older people smoking cigars. Too much to mention. It is a photographer’s paradise for sure! The smells are also part of the parcel and might take a bit of getting used to!

"Cayo Coco - Sol Cayo Coco"

After Havana we flew to Cayo Coco which is connected to the mainland by means of a causeway. We checked in at the resort and liked what we saw. There was a beach in front of us, and a short walk to the left was another even nicer beach with the bluest of water. We spent time at both beaches. If you crumbled some bread into the water you could see all the different kinds of fish swimming around you. I particularly liked the pelicans flying around and then crash-diving into the sea. The pool was the girls’ favourite. They just splashed around all day, and made friends in no time. It was safe enough for us to actually relax and have an odd pina colada by the side of the pool. The shows they put on every evening at 10 o’clock were on the whole quite good and a good laugh. Although we enjoyed lying around drinking cocktails we like to see something of the country we're in so we ventured on a few daytrips. With our girls we went on one called Colourful Cuba, which amongst other things took us to a sugar cane plantation sugar being the main source of income in the past (now it’s tourism!), visited ***, an interesting town on the mainland (went round on a horse & wagon which the girls enjoyed and had a Cuban band play for us), went through some mangroves on a motorboat and saw termite nests and the chocolate orchid (not in bloom unfortunately!). Without the girls my other half and I raced around on a motorboat on a big lake which made my eyelids curl backwards and snorkelled up a creek. Saw some truly magnificent fish. We hired a car for the day, and explored the surrounding countryside. Hubby went deep sea fishing and caught nada! He also went bird watching and was lucky enough to see a vast array of birds. We did see the flamingo colony sitting together on the water in the far distance. It was fascinating to see them all fly up and settle down again in unison. The facilities of the resort were good. As it was all-inclusive you could eat and drink as much as you liked, and there was a wide choice. On our last evening there we went to the a la carte restaurant and had lobster which wasn’t included (about £8 then !). It was delicious. The staff were friendly. Nick made friends with one of the barmen, and bought some cheeky cigars off him, which unforyunately set him off smoking again after a year of not smoking! The last 2 days we spent in Havana again. There is a fantastic art market in where we bought several paintings which are now on our walls. I have never been so sad to leave a holiday destination!

"Guardalavaca and Holguin province"

sol cayo coco

by TheYoungs

Hi does anyone know if there is any building work etc. going on at the sol cayo coco. I read on another site advisor that people have been moved because of building work etc. Any help would be grately appreciated as we fly out in 2 weeks. thanks everyone.

RE: sol cayo coco

by Svetlana_L

We were staying there in May 2006 - and we have not seen any construction works - The hotel territory is quite big - and the personnel is very friendly - we came there without pre-booking and we were offered to choose - what kind of room do we want - ocean view or swimming pool view (for ocean view there is an extra fee, but at the end we chose last one and were very happy - nice room - quite, all facilities are working, great stay! Only recommendation - take something against mosquitos - they are very annoying at night and have a great stay!!!

RE: sol cayo coco

by crysta.

None whatsoever, just rumours to wind people up. Sol Cayo Coco(3*) is huge with lots of garden area and a lovely beach. The hotel next door is Melia Cayo Coco and for adults only(18+). People who booked with the Sol and did not realise it is very much family orientated and did'nt like the noisy children, transferred to Melia .
Enjoy your holiday and ignore the gossip and the whingers, dont let anyone stop you having a great time.

RE: RE: sol cayo coco

by TheYoungs

hi there, thanks for that. we will enjoy it hopefully jet off tomorrow. thanks again.

RE: RE: sol cayo coco

by TheYoungs

hi there, thanks for reply. will enjoy it!

Comments