Jardines del Rey, Ciego de Avila Province, Caribbean

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Loveanale's Profile Photo

TRYP Cayo Coco - YES !!

We've just returned from our second holiday at the TRYP (Aug 16 - 23). It was as good and in some cases there are some improvements from our first time there. We had requested the same rooms (2) that we had in '06 and they were provided to us. We were very satisified with everything and are already starting to make plans to return again.

Unique Quality: Our favourite spot during the day was of course the beach *****. When we weren't there we were at the small pool. Since we were there last they've opened the Italian diningroom and the Oriental dining room which are joined by a really good bar with the best bartenders and the best drinks. A great spot for a nice after dinner drink and quiet. One of our favourite features of the resort is that instead of one big building the TRYP is made up of 13 smaller buildings with great walkways all around.

• tryps a big rip

I would say that this place is closer to a 2star rating for the rooms that are dirty ,sheets never changed ,some people had bed bugs -bites on arms +legs,we however did not,the cock roaches on the bottom levels were the biggest that i ever seen,the beach awesome -food ok-the service was good but only if you tip otherwise they would;nt even look at ya.When ever you wanted a daquri the blender was broke ,but if you had 5peso it could be fixed for a couple drinks. overall 50% of the people that was on our plane said they would never return to this place.We also went V.I.P. which gave you a viewof the sea but that was it,the coffee to our room came once out of seven,as did the breakfast. I never complain about stuff but i think the more people that read this ,the better this place is CRAP.WOULD RECOMMEND NEVER TO GO TO THIS PLACE.

• Paradise

We just arrived home from Tryp Cayo Coco. We were there April 5 -12\08. I was very nervous as the reviews that I had read were a little frightening.

It was absolutely fabulous!!! Check in was quick a painless. Yes, the rooms need updating, and the musty smell is a little overwhelming at first but it went away! They were clean and really, how much time do you spend in your room?
    People who said the food was not good and not a lot to choose from.......what were they talking about? We were VERY HAPPY with the variety of food , we certainly did not starve. The Italian and Seafood restaurants were excellent. The buffet was excellent. We all had a little bout of pooparhia but nothing imodium doesn't take care of. Who knows from what, heat, water alcohol, food, excitement .......
    The beach was absolutely breathtaking! People would get upset because the chairs were gone early. Stop complaining and get up early, leave a towel and if you have to , go back to bed!
    Ricardo at the pizza grill ......what a guy!!!! You'll love him and his famous mohita's!!
    People who complained and wrote bad reviews......I'm wondering if anything makes them happy or if complaining may be a habit! Yes, there are some people that think they're the only people who paid for their trip but you get that everywhere. If you are fortunate to travel to these places, enjoy them and unless it's life threatening stop complaining and enjoy your vacation!!!!

• Review by a OneTime.com User from Toronto

I would definatley reccomend this resort to anyone who just wants to have a great time. If your picky about your food and the cleaness then i suggest you stay somewher else. The food isnt good at all. The staff were all really nice, especially the entertainment staff. The room service was great, the activities were very good. The Vida Loca (dance party) was always amazing. I met lots of new people. The alchohol and bars were top quality and the bartenders were charming. The beach was always cleaned up every night so then next day when you wake there is not a single cup or peice of garbage on the white sand. The enviorment was amazingly thought up! They even have pink flamingos and peacocks around the resort! But i would have to say the best thing about the resort is the one thing i would be exited all day about, is the nightly entertainment. All the dancers danced unbelivebly every time i saw them they would leave me in awe! The mini disco at 8:30pm is very cute and charming! And then every night after the entertainment (which usually ends at around 10:15pm the vida loca opens and you can party until 2 in the morning! Best resort i have ever been to!
    last visit on March, 2005.

• Never again

We are from Ontario and went as a group of 18 march 11 to march 18. Our room was very, very musty and our blankets were like sleeping in a wet sleeping bag. Everything in the room was damp and smelly. We went to customer service the first morning at 8:55 and the customer rep said to wait outside, he wasn't open until 9. First impression was not good. At 9 we went back in and discussed our issues with him. He said this is cuba and we are beside the ocean. We asked if they would please change the sheets (dry sheets) daily and the rep said yeah sure.. I marked my sheets with a pen and sure enough they didn't get changed. By the third day, I was in bed, coughing and sniffling. I called three more times and my wife went to cust service two more times asking to please change the bedding so we no longer felt like we were camping. Yeah sure they said and still nothing was changed.
    On the fourth day I decided to deliver the linen to them and stripped the beds and the pillow cases. I was shocked when I seen what was under the pillow cases. The pillows were 80% covered in black mold and one pillow even had two huge blood stains on it. I hauled everything down to house keeping with the exception of these two pillows which I took up to cust service. They weren't too excited about helping me still and really didn't seem to care for that matter. The beding was changed and they did bring new clean pillows and I did start to feel better right away. We met people that really enjoyed the resort and had no complaints and I think that is the key. If you don't need service from the staff, you will do fine but when you have an issue, good luck. Cuba in my mind is not a cheap vacation and we should not be treated as though we third class visitors.
    By the time you pay for all the gifts, leave all the tips so you do get service from the servers and pay for all the outings, it isn't such a cheap vacation is it?
    We will not return to Cuba.

Unique Quality: The second issue we had were the 300 teenagers running around unsupervised. There is no drinking age in Cuba and these kids 15 - 18 were having a great time. They took over the bars, the pool, the restaurants, they were everywhere. They were drunk at 10 am and stayed drunk until long after we went to bed. They were making out in the lobby at the pool or where ever they felt they had the urge. We didn't see any adults with any of them at any time. The hotel did nothing to try and contain these little monsters either. They just kept making them shooters, 15 at a time. At one point, I approached a couple in the middle of the pool area and told them to get a room. They were mostly from Canada.
    The resort is very nice with great pools and the ocean was fantastic. The grounds were very clean and well maintained. The food was, you know, Cuba food with the exception of the beach side restaruants. They were very good. This was the second time in Cuba, different resort.

• paulcabral's Profile Photo

fun for singles

this hotel is more a 3 star than anything else, although most rate it a 4 star. Ihas been alot better that what it is now. The food is not so great, but the animation crew is excellent and so our the bartenders, nightlife here was one of the best from any other hotels in the area.

Unique Quality: excellent grounds, big pool

• pirategirl's Profile Photo

A lovely resort

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the resort Tryp Cayo Coco for a week in June, 2004. It was overall quite a positive experience!

Some of the highlights of the resort:
    - the beach - it was absolutely stunning. Although the actual sandy beach is rather narrow, it's very long and you can walk for quite a ways. The water has no seaweed, and is perfectly clear and shallow for swimming. The waves are a lot of fun! You can also "rent" (no charge) a kayak or a catamaran (you need a guide to go with you), which is also quite enjoyable and a good experience. You just have to go the day of, and reserve a time.
    - snorkelling - we arranged this with a friend who took us out snorkelling on the reef, nearby the hotel beach. Incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience that you must try!!!
    - day trips - we took the day trip to the city of ***. read more about it in my other tips!
    - the hotel pool - beautiful pool, with swim-up bar. They also organize games throughout the day. Around the pool there's ping pong tables and other games, which are also a lot of fun.
    - horseback riding - another excursion we booked at the hotel. It was a 2 hour ride, and we were the only ones along with the guide. We rode along dusty roads, and then for a stretch along the beach. It also included a stop at this random, in-the-middle-of-nowhere "saloon on the beach" for a rest stop. Great fun!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. There were all ages there (families, young people, seniors), and the atmosphere is laid-back and fun.

P.S. If anyone out there (preferably in the Ontario region) is going to Tryp Cayo Coco and wouldn't mind taking along a letter or small package (photos) for a friend who works there, *please message me*. I only ask because mail is so unreliable in Cuba. Thanks!!

Unique Quality: - the beach / ocean
    - snorkelling
    - day trips
    - the pool
    - horseback riding

see my review for more details!

Directions: Approximately a 20 minute drive from the Cayo Coco airport

• Great Value in the North Keys

Accomodations were standard three to four star and clean. One person in our group had an issue with fleas in their room but it was quickly dealt with.

The staff were very friendly and attentive and always went out of their way to ensure every need was met.

The food however was very bland. Same dishes over and over again which all seemed to taste the same. Good thing the 24hour bar was very close at all times.

Unique Quality: The beach is fantastic and the pools are very large and not too busy if you don't like the salt water. You are able to walk up and down the beach while visiting different resorts on the island. Great beach swimming at night as well as the surf is never to rough.

Directions: Cayo Coco

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

Tryp Cayo Coco 4 star. Melia...

Tryp Cayo Coco 4 star. Melia Cayo Coco 5 star. El Senador (Canadian Hotel) 4+ star. Melia Cayo Guillermo 4+ star. Sol Club Cayo Gullermo 3+ star. Sol Club Cayo Coco 4 star.

Unique Quality: Most are resorts, not hotels....so a whole bunch of bungalows scattered around instead of a big building by the sea.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Cayo Coco Paradise!

Club Tryp was just great. It has over 900 rooms but these are spread out in a number of 2-3 storey blocks done up very tastefully. The older section is closer together but many balconies open right over the main pool in this section, a scenic view. The newer section has a main pool as well as another smaller pool with some great ocean views. We were very impressed with the resort. Photo of the smaller pool in the new section taken from our balcony.
    All inclusive trip from Canada, about US$700/each for everything.

Directions: On the small island of Cayo Coco, off the north coast of Cuba about half-way along the island.

More about Tryp Cayo Coco

Tryp Cayo CocoTryp Cayo Coco

Tryp cayo cocoTryp cayo coco

The beach at Club Tryp Cayo CocoThe beach at Club Tryp Cayo Coco

Club Tryp AccommodationsClub Tryp Accommodations

by smile_2_2

Hello!
My boyfriend and I chose to go to Tryp Cayo Coco but since we booked we have heard bad reviews. We are going from Dec. 14-28th and I am paranoid it is going to be a horrible vacation. Can someone please shed some light on this situation? As a young couple (21 and 25) are we going to have fun? Any advice?

Thanks so much