Cubanacan Comodoro

Satisfaction Poor

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• crazygal59's Profile Photo

Great hotel in the heart of the city.

Stay in the main building or in one of the seperate villas.

Unique Quality: No beach to speak of, but a great maze of interconnecting lagoons and rivers. The dining is typical of Cuban hotel food, but the people are very very friendly. Lovely bar with quiet areas to sit. Nighttime floor shows outside under the stars.

More about Cubanacan Comodoro

The residence for extranjeros...

by Kindra

The residence for extranjeros at the Instituto Superior del Arte in Cubanacan Playa. This is our lounge.
$7 a night for the first month: $5 a night thereafter. $10 a day for breakfast (bun, butter, cafe con leche, cheese or egg, fruit juice) and dinner (huge huge portions though the food is, well, Cuban). Great atmosphere, support system of people and a 24 hour Tia, safe and clean.

We did the ‘Flexy Fly and...

by kwanou

We did the ‘Flexy Fly and Drive’ formula with the Horizontes hotel chain. This means we had a car (from Rex car rental) and hotel-vouchers for the nights that we had the car. We could use the vouchers for all Horizontes hotels. You don’t have to make reservations and can drop in at any hotel from the list and get a room (usually breakfast not included). We once had to choose another hotel a few miles further because there wasn’t a room available.
Gran Caribe, Horizontes and Cubanacan are hotelchains.
www.horizontes.cu

Music

by Guarachero

Just in about any corner of Center Havana you’ll find freelance musicians producing the latest on Cuban Music. While Salsa has become pretty well known around the world, Cubans still have a deep test for Son (Salsa predecessor). And if you want to dance, just visit El Turquino in Habana Libre hotel, you’ll learn some good Salsa footwork and moves. But remember that Cuba is now experimenting with the latest on Havana music: Timba.

If you prefer classic, romantic, jazz, you’ll find that many nightclubs can entertain you while enjoying a typical mijito. La Bodeguita del Medio, La Zorra Y el Cuervo, Los Andes and many other nightclubs in Vedado will be a fantastic item in your memoir.

Don’t forget to visit Miramar; it has beautiful beaches. Or just stroll 5ta Avenida on its wide divider paseo and enjoy the scenery. And if you like the ocean breeze and enjoy its morning aroma, you’ll find Hotel Comodoro the best place to be. I should know best, for I did my high school there.

Want to know more? Just email me and I’ll be happy to share more.

Random questions about Cuba...

by russian_yaz

1- Can u recommend me few places for good nigtlife? I prefer after midnight disco club with modern and dance music where i can meet girls from 18-25,30,? Before midnight i like slowly music (like Cuban music) Can u told me names of few disco clubs and few bars? What is with Copacabana Disco, that is near Commodoro hotel in Miramar?.

Read through my night tips on Havana travel page. There are many places U can choose from. But usually any disco will be full of young people like the ones U're looking for. Copacabana is ok, not far from Comodoro. It has disco, restorant and some boutiques I think... never went there. There U can listen to most of the best salsa groups playing right now in Cuba. This place is usually very crowded with tourist and maybe some cubans.

2- Will Cuban police stop me often if i rent scooter? Is traffic in Havana high density or low?

U can go everywhere in the scooter, don't worry about the police. Unless U are driving drunk or taking 10 persons on the scooter, there will not be a problem ;) Traffic in havana is not so high, the problem is that people drive and walk as they want, as if the street where empty. They drive and walk like crazy...and I've lot of experience, I used to drive a small Polski Fiat for 6 years in Havana and I saw some very stupid thing on the street. Just take care, don't go overspeed and respect the few traffic signs U'll see on the streets. 3- I saw map of Havana province on Cubamapa.com. The green line is higway but it is underlying south east to Santiago. To go to Varadero I saw 2 roads but not highway! One road is across Jaruco and the second is across Santa cruz del Norte! Can you explain me where is that Via Blanca and how can I get with scooter from Miramar.

Yes, U are right. There is no highway to Varadero. The one going through Santa Cruz is Via Blanca. It starts in "Ciudad Deportiva". To get here from Hotel Comodoro in Miramar take 70 street up until 41 then turn left until U cross a 100m bridge then 41 will change name to 23. After a few blocks U will find a street light, that?s 26 street. Turn right and follow it until Ciudad Deportiva and here Via Blanca starts for 140km until Varadero. Don?t hesitate to ask anyone on the street or to the police.

4- I would like to visit Santa Maria and other beaches and maybe drive to Varedero! Is that possible with scooter? How long i must drive with a scooter to Varadero? Are beaches better in Varadero or Playas del Este?

Is a long drive until Varadero and if the scooter U rent is not too fast U can be up to 3 hours driving. Playas del Este are perfetly at your scooter range. Varadero is considered to be the most beatiful beach in Cuba. Is not completely true, is very beatiful, but there are many more like it. Playas del este are a medium range beach. White sand and transparent water. Maybe not so white as Varadero or others but are really good.

5- I will be in Havana in April. Will beaches on that time be empty? Have U ever swum in sea in April? Temperature of the sea is ok in that part of the year?

At this time of the year beaches begin to be somwhat crowded but not too much because for cubans the water will be still "cold". For people living somewher to the north sure it will be even hot. The temperature of the water should be around +25 celcius.

Cubanacan - Airline (UK - Havana)

by Gregsta

Hello all,

I am coming to Cuba at the end of April and the Cheapest way I can find of getting there from the UK is with Cubanacan. Has anyone any experience of travelling with this airline? Anecdotes good and bad appreciated.....

Many thanks
Gregsta

by AnjaV

I guess you mean Cubana airlines, Cubanacan is not an airline but a Cuban touroperator.

If you want to have experiences with Cubana airlines you might post this same question at the Green Screen

It is a Cuba Discussion board...

Anja

by 416Guy

I can't speak for everyone but we had booked on Cubana airlines in December 2001 and my girlfriend had to bail out and take a seperate flight because her father would not allow her to fly with Cubana. Her father works in the industry and apparently they have a very bad record for maintenance and such (this is all 3rd hand information, mind you, I would advise you to look further into it yourself). Anyhoo, the 3 of us took Cubana and experienced absolutely no problems, smooth flight the whole way and back!

by MJBrown

I've had only good experiences with Cubana...but it reminders me of once in the Honduras, looking at a square russian wreck wondering if it even flew, and then seeing my bags go into it...

Re: Re: Cubanacan - Airline (UK - Havana)

by delcity

try thomas cook/ condor or condor/thomas cook. they fly there from uk i think.

Re: Re: Cubanacan - Airline (UK - Havana)

by Gregsta

Hi,

I eventually got flights with Iberia via Madrid, thru South American Experience..

Greg