Hotel Plaza

See Popular Hotels

Tags

Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Family Travel
See Amenities

READ THIS BEFORE GOING! BEDS FULL OF BED BUGS!

by written on June 6, 2011

Especially to travelers from GREECE

We stayed at the Plaza for 5 nights (TERRIBLE MISTAKE!). I have to say that I underestimated the bad comments written in Tripadvisor and this is something that I will never do again!
In summary,
1) We found out that our safety box has been opened continuously (almost every day that we spent there).
2) All previous comments from others concerning noise, dirty rooms, unhelpful personnel are absolutely correct.
3) But that was not the worst thing. The first nights we saw some black insects on the bed but we had never seen bed bugs before… so we didn’t pay any attention. The last night we woke up at night (at 3:00) and find out that we were covered by bed bugs walking on us and be around the bed (more than 100 of them). Finally, I was bitten hundreds of times and I was obliged to make an antistamine and corticoid injection in Varadero (which cost 75 CUC!). As you understand we packed our bags and went to the reception to inform the hotel. When we told the incident to the management they tried to mislead us, by telling us that it is a kind of tropical mosquito with the name “Jejenes”. We spend the rest of the night at the lobby, from 3:00-8:00 and nobody cared. The hotel staff was totally uncaring, misleading and believe me there is no chance to be helped if something happens to you.
As no internet was available in Cuba I checked it asap when we were back to our country, and I also went to a doctor to check me. He was the one that confirmed that they were bed-bugs, the ones that you can find in the army beds, and generally in dirty and old beds (not in a 4 star hotel!). I had to make a 10 day heavy treatment with corticoid pills in order to get healed.
The management of the hotel tried to apologize for the bed bugs, the bites, and the opening of the safety box by giving us a basket with local Cola and Rum……I was ready to throw it back on their heads! I didn’t accept it of course! The funny thing was that the present was the quickest movement they made, basically because they have already packed gifts for unsatisfied clients….

Especially to travelers from GREECE

And some comments for the Greek readers, the hotel was booked through a Greek agent COSMORAMA, and until 3 days before our departure we were told that we would stay in Presidente (another 4 stars hotel that has good comments in Tripadvisor) and then they changed and inform us that they have booked in Plaza. We insisted to change hotel, as we had checked all the bad comments and horrible rating, but they ensured us that the hotel is decent and we will not have any problem. As a conclusion, guys in the COSMORAMA as you are completely incapable of checking the services you are offering to your clients and ensure a safe stay for them, please check Tripadvisor instead, it just need a basic command of English…..
Finally after we got back we made a complaint letter say all things about our horrible experience with bed bugs, the injection we had to make, the 10 days medical treatment and requested a refund or just a simple and professional SORRY for destroying our trip to Cuba which costed around 4.000€.
Their reply was that the hotel did not confirm the incident and despite all our proofs (receipt from the injection in Varadero’s medical center, doctors prescription, photos etc.) they replied that they cannot accept anything and they practically told us that they do not believe us. Their funny excuse was that we didn’t mention the name of the manager that we reported the incident, it was a guy that didn’t speak English and didn’t pay any attention to our problem.
I just want to warn everybody in Greece who is thinking of cooperating with COSMORAMA that they are not to be trusted and they just care for taking your money. It is better to book by yourself and go…

READ THIS BEFORE GOING! BEDS FULL OF BED BUGS!

by written on June 6, 2011

In summary,

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

by written on September 5, 2010

We stayed at the Plaza 5 years ago and it was somewhat decent, so we took the many negative reviews with a grain of salt. What a mistake! Hotel Plaza has deteriorated in almost every possible way, and is a hotel you should avoid. It was a truly terrible expereice, and that is starting out with low expectations.

About the only good word I have for the hotel is that the lobby area looks very nice. Beyond that, forget it. The rooms were badly worn, with paint flaking, things broken (tiles, toilet, erc.), not very clean and overall horrible! The wall air conditioning units are a joke, and one of the people in our group tried 3 different rooms before they finally got one with an air conditioner that worked. We were told we would have an inside room so we wouldn't have the sreet noise, but it wasn't. They didn't care. One of the days our room was made up by housekeeping, and there were no towels. NONE! Even the electrical outlets were sketchy at best.

As if the room wasn't bad enough, many of the staff we encountered were outright nasty. Two of the women at the front desk were rude and not forthright (I am being kind in my depiction of what they tried to do), and then refused to give us their names (so we could report them to management.). I could put up with a lot if the people are nice, but a number of the employees simply were not.. There were some helpful staff members, but they were in the minority.

I could go on and on about how horrible the hotel has become, but it would fill pages. They should close it down and do a complete rehab -- and train the staff. There were a few employees who understood service, but not too many.

We didn't expect very much from this hotel, but it fell well below even low expectations.
Do yourself a favor. Stay elsewhere, because this hotel is truly horrible. I have been to
Cuba many times, and been in all types of hotels. Plaza is not worthy of being in business. It has become a dump.

Linse's Profile Photo

Good Location

by written on March 22, 2007

Hotel Plaza was buildt in 1909 and you can really feel the time there. Is a nice clean hotel and the staff are friendly. The location is perfect, it´s just 5 minutes from Habana Vieja (the old town).

cochinjew's Profile Photo

Right on the Plaza

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 22, 2007

My two stays in this hotel were during my early visits to La Habana, when the tourists facilities were not as well developed as they are now.
The choice then was between Inglaterra and Plaza and i have stayed at both of us and would stay at these hotels again if I get a chance

Unique Quality: Centrally located.
Functional rooms.
Helpful staff

Directions: It is so central along with Hotel Telegrafo, Tulip Hotel, Inglaterra at the Parque central, you can walk all over Habana Viejo, and also Centro Habana as well as to the Chinatown area

Joseph69's Profile Photo

Nice location!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2007

The Hotel Plaza is located centrally in Old Havana, within strking distance from the Capitolio and many other attractions. The rooms are a good size with high ceilings, and there are also internet facilities which cost about CUC$6.00 for the hour.

There is also a bar open 24 hours per day, as well as a gift shop. Unlike the Hotel Armadores de Santander, there were no Cuban bands there, so the atmosphere was different. To me, it was more of a standard "hotel" atmosphere, but overall, a nice place to stay.

My only gripe is that my room faced a school, and in the morning, you tend to be woken up by the noise. I sometimes like a sleep in, so if you like a sleep-in, be aware of this.

Unique Quality: Beautifuly restored hotel with a nice gift shop.

Grand Beauty

by written on October 12, 2004

Not a brilliant picture but the only one I have of the Foyer of The Plaza Hotel:)

Intriguing Interiors!

by written on October 12, 2004

Our hotel was built around a kind of closed in piazza, and this was taken from our hotel room, this place was so intriguing & beautiful.

mim95's Profile Photo

Just steps from Old Havana

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 16, 2004

My tour package came with a buffet breakfast. It's got a good selection of pastries, biscuits, exotic fruits and juice. There are also pancakes, sausage and cheese. The cook will also prepare any styles of eggs. The best part is that you can enjoy your breakfast with a great view of the city at the roof top patio.

The room is clean and tidy. And the safe is free, as it is opened by your room key card. The price range that I chose below is only an approximation, as my package includes hotel and flight.

Unique Quality: Hotel Plaza is a historic 4-star hotel, which has been serving people since 1905. The magnificant four-storey building is located right at the corner of two streets. The view from the roof top restaurant is excellent. You can see the Malecon and the ocean from here! And don't forget to watch the beautiful sunset from here. Also on the top floor restaurant, there is a wall of photos of famous ppl who have been to the hotel in the past, including Albert Einstein.

There are 2 restaurants and a bar in the lobby. The architecture of the lobby is very beautiful, with decorated columns and fountain.

This hotel is just steps away from Parque Central, Gran Teatro de la Habana, Capitolio National. It is about a 5-10 min walk to the Revolution Museum and the Malecon, plus all the attractions in Habana Vieja.

Directions: At the northeast intersection of Agramonte and Neptuno, across from Parque Central.

Luchonda's Profile Photo

A topic in Habana

by written on January 8, 2004

Hotel Plaza - a previous villa and transformed into a hotel in the year 1909-so short after the independance
I is a top Hotel - well located near Old Havana - El Capitolio etc.
It is also near "Manzana de Gomez" shopping center in Habana - but a renovation of this center is urgent !! Like many other buildings in Havana.

The Plaza Hotel

by written on August 25, 2002

Building this page has made me remember what a great location this hotel is in. We were able to walk around Old Havana without having to get taxi's. It was central to everything we wanted to see and everywhere we wanted to be.

Hotel Plaza

• Plaza Hotel Havana

Address: Ingnacio Agramonte 267, Habana Vieja, Havana, Cuba, Caribbean

23 Photos of Hotel Plaza

Amenities at Hotel Plaza

• Restaurant

Havana Travel Forum

Need advice about Havana, Cuba? Visit the Travel Forum for Havana and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Havana hotel reviews