Hotel Saint John's

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 47% less but rated 27% lower than other 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Saint John's

Statue next to the ConventStatue next to the Convent

El Patio on the left side of the photoEl Patio on the left side of the photo

It's a good thing we had our guide to take photos!It's a good thing we had our guide to take photos!

My new fren' the cigar vendorMy new fren' the cigar vendor

Important places to see

by renisky

Im going to visit Cuba in November, 15. How is a weather on that period? Im going by agency, and these are places which are planed for visiting:
HAVANA: Vinjales
Tropicana

from VARADERO: Trinidad, Santa Clara, Sienfuegos
Cayo Largo
Guama
Jeep saphari

I think i can't afford everything, so if anyone can help me what to choose (few places).

by renisky

Thanks man. Can you recomend me something in Havana what makes good impresion on you? And some interesting club?

by TravellingSpirit

I'd recomend the same as Leon. I liked Trinidad for the music as well as there is music and dancing every night. When you ask about clubs in Havana, do you mean for dancing or for jazz? We found a cuban night club which was a lot of fun, but I can't remember where it was and I don't think tourists usually go there. There is a good jazz club near the Hotel St John. Havana is great to just sit in the bars and chat to people. There are plenty of places to dance on Friday and Saturday nights.

I'm sure you'll have fun.

by renisky

Travelling spirit, i think we like the same things:). Im searching for both of them, jazz and cuban clubs with less tourists. Please try to remember the name of club you were writting about!

Travel Tips for Havana

Shopping? In Havana?

by joernme

This looked like a large department store. But it is not by coincidence you don't see much life in front of it. We went in and there was almost nothing to sell, the huge halls were almost empty. Coming out we saw a long queu in front of a small public food "store" which just had been delivered peas... so frustrating! We felt bad immediately making jokes about the empty department store.....

U must spend some time in the...

by russian_yaz

U must spend some time in the malecon, where all the people use to go at last once to look the sunset.
U'll met there lot of different cuban people, with all our folklore and tastes. And you can't miss our beatifull beaches!! The beatifull view from the 'Cristo' located in the bay. It has a wonderfull view of the city and is a good place to rest while U're walking through the old havana.

Live band playing in the restaurant

by mim95

It's not hard to find a restaurant with a live band in Old Havana. You don't necessary have to go inside the restaurant, as the band usually plays in front by the patio, which is a good way to attract ppl to go in. El Patio at Plaza de la Catedral and La Mina at Plaza de Armas are two good examples. Many ppl, including myself, like to sit by the patio to have a drink to relax and enjoy the music.

Watching the sunset

by mim95

Watching the sunset at the roof top garden in my hotel (Hotel Plaza) was a great experience. I could see the sun setting at sea level, with Vedado in a distance. It became a ritual for me to go up to the top of the hotel for most of the evenings.

It was interesting as the majority of the buildings didn't have their lights on when it was getting dark. The only buildings that were lit seem to be where the foreigners were.

Another great place to watch the sunset would be along the Malecon.

Tourist Currency!

by travelife

After my trip from Cuba I surprisingly came to know bout my ignorance on currency in Cuba. Covertible Peso which you get from change / ATM is intended to be used only by tourists. You simply may not be aware of the fact that you are paying a way higher price by paying in Convertibel Peso (CP) which is pegged against USD than the locals who pay in local Cuban peso. Everywhere you go and ask the price in English they tell you the price (right!) and everywhere you see the price (right!) you pay for it but you never know that you are paying them in CP and getting the change in CP but the locals paying in local currency and getting their change in local currency! You could be totally ignorant being fluent in Spanish but paying them in CP and paying them much more than locals! My friend was traveling with his Cuban friend and found out this trick by Cuban authorities. I had a little surprise when at a local shop I accientlly perhaps received my changes in local currencies what I could not use on the way out of the country at the airport. You have very little to do about it tho.

Comments