Calle Prado 408, Havana, Cuba, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 11% higher than other 4 star hotels

• onembh's Profile Photo

Telegrafo good location

We stayed 3 nights at the Telegrafo Hotel Havana February 2011.
    The hotel is in a good central location the room was a decent size and clean but a bit tired ! the drawers fell completely to bits but were repaired quite quickly.
    The bar area is architecturally very interesting.
    We had breakfast at the Hotel the food and service was a bit below average

TOP TIP
    I have read reports of cash been stolen from hotels in Cuba and also small amounts from safes
    ( I once had £10 taken from our safe in the Dominican Republic)
    In order to combat small amounts of money taken from the safe what I do is put all my valuables in a plastic bag and fit a tie wrap around the neck of the bag this stops the contents from been tampered with. It will not of course stop wholesale theft ! (tie wraps are generally used to tie cables together I bought a box of approx 200 from the £1 shop )

• corto_turco's Profile Photo

Very central to sightsee Havana

When I arrived at Hotel Telegrafo, they said there wasn’t any room available, so they transferred me to another hotel for a night. I didn’t pay any extras for taxi rides and hotel and I heard that other people also lived similar experiences.

Hotel Telegrafo is on the very center of Havana. I had a large, modernly furnished corner room with a double size bed and colossal windows looking at Prada Avenue and Parque Central. Both the room and the bathroom were in good condition. Towels and linens were a little bit old but clean. There was a mini bar but not much in it.

There was a buffet breakfast and it was the richest among 3 hotels I stayed in Havana.

Directions: The hotel is very central and it is easy to walk main sights like Old Havana, Capitol, Malecon or Partagas Factory.

• Irishbarry's Profile Photo

One of Havana's friendliest Hotels

Stayed there 3 times, most recent Jan 2005,
    Friendly & helpful staff. Bedrooms Are Clean, bright and airy. Be sure to ask for aroom overlooking Parque Central - the ones overlooking Neptuno can be a little noisey. Avoid at all costs rooms over looking the atrium - The bar is located on the ground floor of the Atrium ans has live Music Thursdays, Fridays Saturdays evenings (not sure about Sundays)
    However it does finish before 11pm.
    Service in restaurant is v. slow. Allow plenty of time.
    Food was good in previous years & at the beginning of last year but deteriorated during the course of our stay in2005

Unique Quality: Unique features of architeture in bar/atrium with exposed brickwork of original building. It took almost 2 years to complete restoration but then the pace of such projects in Cuba is somewhat different to the norm.
    No pool,
    2/3 internet access PCs(not broadband) one of which is located in the bar.- pay at reception.
    For a small fee ($2) you can leave bulky luggage while you visit the provinces.
    Views over Parque Central & friendly staff are probably it's best features.
    Would I stay again? Sure

Directions: On the corner at junction of Prado, Neptuno & Parque Central

• russian_yaz's Profile Photo

Enjoy nice views of Central Park in Old Havana

Unique Quality: Telegrafo Hotel was built in 1860, then it was located in the Amistad street. Around 1888 it moves to the populous corner of the Prado and Neptuno streets. In 1911 it was totally reconstructed and when opening its doors it was considered the most modern hotel in the city and among the top ten of Latin America.

Currently the conjugation of the modernity and old thing stands out. It has privileged views to the city. In the interior patio arcades of half point run off showing its original bricks and contrasting with the elements of modern design. The restaurant specializes in the Cuban and international cuisine.

Directions: Front of Parque Central, near Plaza, Inglaterra and Sevilla hotels.

• A good value place to stay.

We stayed at the Telegrafo from 24 May to 6 June 2004. The hotel sits right between new and central Havana. The best of two worlds.

The hotel is of the stylish Art Deco variety.. It has high celings and marble floors. On the ground floor is the restaurant, reception desk, shop, tourism desk and bar.

I recommend the gorgeous black marble staircase instead of the lift, which takes you directly into the bar. Here you can e-mail, (you pay at Reception). It's best to do that quite early or late as the bar has a glass roof and the direct sunlght can make it difficult to read the computer screen.

A definite must, if you stay here is the hamburger. Its $5 but is divine..

There is a small terrace bar, which overlooks the park.with only about six tables. There are security guards on the entrance so you don't get hassled too much by people trying to sell dodgy banana cigars, and you get the music from the Inghilterra, further down. The inghilterra may be slightly cheaper for drinks, but the service you get at the Telegrafo more than makes up for the 50 cents more! At the inghilterra terrace bar, we waited for 20 minutes with no service so we went back to our own hotel. We tried a few different hotels for drinks and by far the best was the Telegrafo, and they didn't skimp on the Rum like some of the more expensive hotels!

One word of warning though. I would recommend the Telegrafo to everyone but I would also warn anyone staying there to check the seals of the bottled water in the minibar in your room. We didn't notice for a couple of days, but when we checked the seals on some of the bottles, they had been filled with tap water! Not all of them, so when we realised we made sure to only drink the sealed ones. I did have a bit of a bad stomach, but didn't have the heart to complain because the Maid would have probably lost her job, and she worked so hard on keeping the room cleaned!

All in all, we had drink at the National, Seville, Inghilterra, NH Parque Centro and a few others. The Telegrafo is the BEST!!

Unique Quality: There is a great view if you are overlooking the park, the food is great if a little pricy and the decor is gorgeous!

Directions: Old and Central Havana.

• florry's Profile Photo

parque central

i stayed at the telegrafo hotel for three nights and i must say i was very happy there. from my room i could see parque central,hotel plaza the manzana de gomez and the prado. it is very nice to sit outside the hotel and watch the busy street. from the hotel you can walk to a lot of places. everything is close by. food was expensive in the hotel so i would not recomend it. but everbody was very friendly and helpful there.

Unique Quality: i must say i had a room with a great view over parque central. the room was nice ,clean and big.

More about Hotel Telegrafo

European Hotel in Havana

by TripAdvisor Member gardinerg

Hotel Telegrafo offers european service and amenities in a very convenient location and the price is significantly lower than many other similar hotels in Havana. Newly renovated, the rooms are clean, large and very nicely decorated -- bed is OK. The service was very efficient and professional and the security staff were polite even to Cubans -- which is often not the case.

There is one drawback.... In the restaurant there are many many flies and some other critters running around. The restaurant is very nice looking and the buffet is decent, but for some reason there are a lot of critters trying to enjoy your meal along with you. In three trips to Havana, I have never run into this issue in anyone's home, in any other restaurant or in any paladare. I ate there -- just quickly and tried not to think about it too much -- other guests did not seem to notice.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Joern_N

I stayed at the Telegrafo for a week in February 2005.

It’s an excellent hotel with a friendly, helpful and efficient staff.

The location right on the Prado is impossible to beat.

You can check out the hotel on video and pictures at http://cuba.atheart.dk

Not at it's best ?

by TripAdvisor Member kopite

Stayed in the Telegrafo at the back end of Oct and begining of Nov, we caught the aftermath of Wilma so for the first three days there was no hot water or air-con. We loved the street terrace, it was great for people watching (and a car crash!) Virgin had made a mess of the bookings, but the front desk sorted it out professionally, the bar and restaurant staff are polite and friendly as are the housemaids, the lift is about as efficient as an asthmatic hampster and boiling hot, the only critisism is that the waiters and porters were hustling cigars all the time, and on at least three occasions out of ten nights the night porter told us there was no security that night and so girls could be brought in and on two occasions the Chicas were lined up in the lobby when we came in after a night out.

Did improve since my last stay in 2004

I stayed at this hotel during my previous trip in 2004. I returned there in May 2005 and it was a nice surprise. Guest rooms and common premises got painted and repaired, breakfast improved although still far from what one would expect from a four stars hotel. Unfortunately the bar remains as it was, ie. very slow, unfriendly service. Watch you bill at the bar as the staff is allways ready to overcharge you. Demand an itemised bill, as otherwise the waiter will just tell you the amount, without giving you the bill. Did not eat at the restaurant, other guests did and mentioned it was horrible. The reception staff was friendly and efficient, so were the bell boys. Within what Havana hotels offer, I believe this is still a good value for money.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member rumlover

I stayed here for 2 nights this month. The hotel is in a great location for getting about. It was kept clean. My room did not have a view over the street, which I would have prefered, however it was a very nice room, old style with high ceilings. Bathroom very clean, hot water tempramental, but its Havana. The staff were very pleasant. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. I had 1 meal at night on the terrace and it was lovely, too much to finish though. I would stay here again, but enjoy trying the different hotels

Hotel TelegrafoHotel Telegrafo

Leaving the TelegrafoLeaving the Telegrafo

Visiting Havana

by moe217

Can anyone give me some advice on where to stay in Old Havana and if this is a good idea. What else is there to do? Any advice will be appreciated

by Soozay

I stayed at the Hotel Nacional, which is the grandest old hotel in the city. It's a short cab ride into the old part of Havana so expect to pay 3 to 4 dollars for a cab fare into the heart of where the action is.

by florry

I stayed at the Telegrafo hotel and its very close to all nice places to visit. You can have a look at my havana pages , i made pictures out my window.lol:)

Re: Re: Visiting Havana

by mim95

I stayed at Hotel Plaza, which is just blocks away from all the attractions in Old Havana. Although I've heard some negative comments about this hotel, I had great experience staying there, especially the view from the roof-top restaurant. You can walk to most attractions within 10 minutes. If your focus is to see Old Havana, you can save the travelling costs by staying within walking distance.

I also took a taxi to Vedado, the newer part of Havana. And a day trip to Vinales, a beautiful countryside with an unusual landscape. Drop by my site for more details.

by robramon

Firstly, if you want to experience the real cuba, and really experience the cuban life, dont stay in a hotel at all. Opt for a casa particular, these are places to stay which cuban families rent out and are enormously cheaper as hotels, and in my experience just as good quality. I have the email address of a very nice one, which was far superior and hospitable than most hotels, this is available upon request. However if you do want to experience cuba from a touristy perspective, and money is no issue then opt for the Hotel Caribbean in old Havana.

Comments