Havana Hotels

Our Members Say

• BorderHopper profile photo BorderHopper
  • Reviews: 519

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Colonial La Terraza, Havana Homestay: Family Sized Accommodation in Cuban Home

Arranging affordable accommodation for a family of 5 can sometimes be difficult to do when taking budget and your expectations of comfort into consideration. We were lucky to find a wonderful family to board us at the Casa Colonial La Terraza in Habana Centro. We stayed on the top floor of a 4 story 1923 era building of which the Esquival family has occupied for decades. It was a steep walk up narrow, winding stairs to the top floor terrace where our "penthouse bungalow" was located. The family occupies several room adjacent to the terrace but the bungalow remains completely private. The terrace is also a nice as its right out your front door. Nora Esquival, a former economist educated in East Germany & CCCP, is the owner of the home and runs the pension with her elderly mother. Her sister comes in the mornings to prepare breakfast for you which is an additional cost depending on what you order. Nora is bilingual in English & Spanish & has the help of a small staff who clean the rooms & provide laundry services when you are away. Nora also has the help of her boyfriend/handyman whom we found to be a very nice! When Nora isn't busy running her business she will probably engage you in conversation....a good time over a few glasses of Havana Club Rum. My twin girls celebrated their 2nd birthday in Cuba and the Esquival family surprised them with a chocolate cake and a beautiful Spanish birthday song. Prices range between the rooms available but we paid $40/USD a night for the entire bungalow which housed 2 adults & 3 children.

Research their listing: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147271-d1208983-Reviews-Casa_Colonial_La_Terraza-Havana_Cuba.html

The location of Casa Colonial La Terraza is very central & is a short walk to the Malecon @ Belascoin AV. (near a large hospital and Parque Maceo). It's close enough to the Straits of Florida to get a nice breeze in the evening & perfect distance to the Malecon where we'd enjoy nightly walks along the ocean seawall that rings Havana. There are a number of rooms available for rent. We rented the seperate bungalow which was comprised of two rooms with two beds. The main room was a sitting room with a small kitchen, dining table, refrigerator, propane stove, water sink, several chairs and a day bed. The main room also has a small television which receives local Cuban stations. There is a large shuttered window that opens up to the terrace & the entrance door to the bungalow also allows a nice breeze to circulate thru the rooms. Our son slept on the twin sized day bed in the front room and was very comfortable.

The rear bedroom has a queen sized bed with two night stands and a large stand up closet for your bags or clothing. There is a small shelf for storing personal items. A moderate sized bathroom is attached to the bedroom. The bathroom has a tub & shower combination. Nora provided us with an extra fold out bed for our young girls to sleep on at the side of our large bed. This way we were able to accommodate 5 people in the bungalow. I'd estimate it's large enough to comfortably house two or 3 adults. It's not fancy but it was clean. Finding groceries was a bit difficult due to the ration system that was in place during our visit. We relied on Nora and family to provide eggs & bread for us. We'd usually spend the evenings on patio table out on the terrace. Throughout our week long stay we met several other travelers who'd share the terrace area with us....and share a few drinks of Cuban Rum too.
From the airport we paid $25 USD for a taxi to take us to Casa Colonial La Terraza & about $30 USD to return us to the airport. Prices are negotiable but we're a family of 5 with lots of luggage.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Historical Travel
  • Written January 24, 2013

The terrace of Casa Colonial La Terraza

• socheid profile photo socheid
  • Reviews: 279

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Martha y Ramon: Could have been good but but not recommen

I was fixed up to stay in this place by the helpful people at one of the tourist info place. It was interesting to note that when the lady from tourist info was on the phone to the lady who ran this joint, the lady who ran the place wanted to know where I was from.

The location is good, the best thing about the place in fact. Its in the heart of old Havana on Aguacale in between Empredado and Tejadillo, very close to Obispo if that is where you are looking to get to. There is obviously some sort of history that the lady has who runs the place and what has happened with previous guests. After I checked in, the first thing she said to me was, 'no chickas' and she laboured the point. Not an issue for me but with the amounts of pimps and hookers that there is around, its hardly a surprise that she has had issues with this in the past. Personally I support her stand point as it more chance of a peaceful night. To emphasise her point though, she wouldn't give me a key to the front door. She said that whenever I got back from dinner I should ring the bell and she would let me in.

The room I stayed in didn't have any windows. It was nothing fancy but the bed was comfy enough and the shower had warm water.

Things were going fine and unlike every other casa I stayed in when in Cuba (4 others), there wasn't a level of noise coming from outside that prevented me from getting an undisturbed nights sleep. Sound to good to be true? Correct. At 6.30 in the morning the lady who runs the place was sat in the kitchen talking with her husband and mother, shooting the breeze about anything and everything. Couldn't they have closed the kitchen door since the its right next to the guest bedroom, and maybe have spoken in a quieter voice?

They don't offer breakfast.

• Written March 26, 2012

• socheid profile photo socheid
  • Reviews: 279

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The House by the Sea: An option but could be better on a couple of thing

I made a booking in here at fairly short notice (approx 2 weeks) before I flew to Cuba as all the hotels were coming up listed as full. I booked it via a hostel website and was delighted to be at least assured that I'd have somewhere to stay. The clincher on this guest house compared with the others was that this place advertised wifi. That turned out to be nonsense and when I asked the lady who owns the place, she said she knew nothing of that and that no Casa Particulares in Cuba would be able to offer wifi.

The location is listed as Marina but it is overlooking Malecon. Access is via a side street off Malecon and number 113 is on the right. The casa is in an apartment. The room I had was en suite and was comfortable enough without being anything fancy. It was very inexpensise (around 15 quid for the room per night which has both a double and single bed). Breakfast was extra as were drinks and the option of dinner.

The location is in Centro Havana. Its at the side nearest Vedado (very near Vedado, on the Vedado side of Parque Maceo) and would be suited to someone with Vedado as where they intend to visit. There is little of interest at that part of Centro Vedado. Havana old town is approx 25 mins walk away or min 4 cuc in a cab (some cab drivers will try to stich you for more, I had one guy try to sting me for 14 do you believe). There will be located Casa for old Havana I am sure. I was though given a key so I could come and go as I wished, something that hasn't always been the case with b&bs Ive stayed in here in Cuba.

The lady who runs the place is very nice as are the other people who live there (her husband and son at a guess). She speaks some English. The biggest downside in my opinion was the level of street noise. There's a lot of noise from traffic on Malecon. Also, being Malecon a lot of people gather there socially so there's a lot of music in the evenings. On Saturday night there was someone playing a trumpet til goodness knows what time. There's a side window behind a curtain with a crack in it that lets in noise. Also in the window frame there's a couple of small gaps that seem to be be there by design. Again though this lets in noise.

Its a handy place if you are interested in going to Vedado. Some noise proofing would be good.

• Written March 15, 2012

• gwened profile photo gwened
  • Reviews: 3248

Casa Particular Rogelio Torres: Lovely 1923 building excellent conditions

wonderful company, coffee every morning, talk with owner ,great crew, nice place like been w ith the family, large rooms in a restored 1923 home, great location near the hotels Melia Habana and Commodore, Panorama etc and the Miramar Business Center

large home, huge bed, huge bathroom shower with beautiful tiles, hot and cold water TV, telephone, internet connection. Great location

• Related to: Arts and Culture, Historical Travel, Castles and Palaces
  • Written February 24, 2012

back side of Rogelio's Casa Particular

• RKyle profile photo RKyle
  • Reviews: 48

* to ****: Havana Hotels

Sorry New Year's day morning!, did not fully read your question.
I have stayed in the Hotel Seville and Telegrafo, beautiful rooms and bathrooms and located at or near Central Parque. Hotel Inglatera has character plus the best people watching terrace in Havana. All of these are on the border of "Old Havana" and "Central Havana" and centered in what you are looking for.
You can take the tour bus from Central Park and do 3 different return tours for $5cuc to see if there are other parts of the city you would like to see.
Check out "Cuba Junky's" hotel site for prices, bookings and more options such as Hotel Ambos Mundos where Hemmingway lived and it's roof top restuarant.
Enjoy, I will be in Havana on Jan. 10, I now stay in casas.

• Related to: Historical Travel, Seniors, Architecture
  • Written January 1, 2012

• JessieLang profile photo JessieLang
  • Reviews: 650

Hotel Parque Central: Great hotel, great location

The hotel is beautiful—it is built in colonial style, but is much newer. Only one corner of the portico is old, but the newer construction blends in very well. The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. The bathroom has a bathtub and a separate shower, and even includes bathrobes.

The large breakfast buffet is good, and it includes champagne or a mimosa. The public rooms (dining room, lobby, etc.) are very attractive, and the lobby bar has live music most evenings. Currency can be exchanged at the hotel desk.

NOTE: There is also a modern annex to the hotel, connected to the older part by a a basement tunnel. Stay in the colonial part—it is nicer.

http://www.hotelparquecentral.com/ is an unofficial site, but informative. The official website, for making reservations, is below.

The hotel is in a great location. It faces a large park, and the Prado, a wide pedestrian area between one-way streets, starts at the corner of the hotel and leads to the Malecon and the Morro Fort. The art museum, opera house, and Floridita Bar are only a few blocks away. The Parque Central is outside the old city, but it is a walkable distance.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written November 25, 2011

Hotel Parque Central

• littlebush profile photo littlebush
  • Reviews: 1132

Casa Dalia: Casa Dalia

I stayed at Casa Dalia - which is the home of Dalia.
Its at 209 Calle Habana, off Empedrado.
Its 25 CUC (£18) night for a double.
They have 2 rooms.
Rooms are basic with shower, no kitchenette.
Location is great, in Habana Vieja, just 3 blocks from the main street Osbipo.
Dalia and her family are lovely people and although we had a severe communication barrier, sigh language and a lot of smiles can go a long way.
Would stay again.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written November 25, 2011
Tip Photo

• draguza profile photo draguza
  • Reviews: 1044

Hotel Miramar Occidental

This modern and massive luxury hotel is an impressive and imposing presence in the heart of Miramar's business district. It has nicer rooms than the Meliá Habana , but it's 2 blocks from the sea and has fewer dining and entertainment options. The rooms are all at least junior suites, with one queen-size bed and a comfortable sitting area.

Facilities: 3 restaurants; 2 bars; lounge; large outdoor pool; 6 outdoor tennis courts , indoor squash court; well-equipped exercise room; sauna; children's center; concierge; tour desk; car-rental desk; business center; shopping arcade; salon; 24-hr. room service; laundry service; dry cleaning; nonsmoking rooms

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written May 2, 2011

Hotel room

• Rob&Giz profile photo Rob&Giz
  • Reviews: 63

Casa Aleido: The best casa in Havana

We have stayed here 3 times in April 2011, during our holiday in Cuba.
It is located near the Capitolio, on the border of Havana Vieja and Centro and you can easily get around on foot.
From the airport take a taxi to Hotel Inglaterra (25 CUC), go around the corner to San Rafael, and you’ll find the Casa in the middle of the 2nd block at your right.
A small door between a pharmacy and supermarket and 23 steps lead you to the entrance of Casa Aleido.
We had a very warm welcome, and even when arrived late we had a delicious meal. Whenever you feel like a chat, or need some advice, you can drop in the living room and have a nice chat with Aleido or one of the staff.
The 1st time we stayed there a group of musicians staying there. When we asked them what kind of music they played, the chairs were pushed aside and they gave us a our own private concert.
One of the main reasons to wake up on time is to have Jorjito’s breakfast, since it is the best start of the day in Havana you can think of.
One night after returning from the Casa la Musica, we had nightcap, and then we got some salsa lessons in the living room and finally, by 05:00 am, we went to bed. To get up at 09:00 again for the breakfast of course.

Click the link to see where Casa Aleido is located : http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&hl=en&q=23.137085,-82.360452

Friendly, great location

• Related to: Architecture, Arts and Culture, Gay and Lesbian
  • Written April 28, 2011

Vic's mother's casa: Casa at Vedado area

Vedado area is a bit far from the oldtown but if you want to stay there you may stay at my Virtualtourist friend Vic’s(fallingnow) mother’s house. It is a nice place. You can send mail to Vic: fallingnow@terra.com

Casa Rosa: Casa at the central area

Rosa’s casa is in central area. From downtown(viaje) you will walk 15 minutes at Avenida Salvador Allende and turn Oquendo street for 1 minutes more. Rosa is nice person too. Flat is not very good but clean. She has 2 rooms, 1 bathroom

My room

Casa Mary: Great view from casa Mary

Casa Mary is in the old town, near the sea-side. View of excellent terrace is castle and harbour. And Mary is a good cook. She is very nice person. Rooms are nice.

Great view
Nice rooms with the bathroom
Good meals

Tip Photo

Great view from the terrace

• RKyle profile photo RKyle
  • Reviews: 48

casas & steak

Please go to my home page and have a look at the casas listed there, I stay with these people every trip and will be there in Nov/Dec. for my ninth trip.
My best meals have been in the casas but Rodney's restuarant behind the Tropicana serves a great Uruguayian steak at a resonable price.

• Related to: Seniors, Food and Dining, Work Abroad
  • Written August 10, 2010

• Karlie85 profile photo Karlie85
  • Reviews: 243

Hotel Mercure Sevilla: Great find - beautiful hotel, great location

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Sevilla for a week at the beginning of May, and I just hadn't gotten around to writing a review until now.

The hotel is in a fantastic location in Old Havana, right next to the Prado and minutes away from the Capitolio, Obispo, Parque Centrale and much more. The first morning we stepped out of the hotel, we heard beautiful classical music seemingly coming from the sky. It wasn't until later that we realized the hotel is right across the street from the Museo de Bellas Artes. The hotel itself was built in 1908 and is gorgeous inside and out. The lobby is breathtaking. There is a cool open air bar off of the lobby that is open 24 hours and often has a live band. The rare-for-Havana outdoor swimming pool is a pretty decent size and is an oasis from the hot, loud and busy city. The pool area was busy, but we were always able to find a chair. It's not quite as busy around 5pm and later, so if you want some downtime, try to go then.

The staff were mostly average, decent for Havana. I wouldn't call them overly friendly, but they were polite enough and we were able to communicate the few times we needed to. I left all of my postcards with the front desk and they've mostly all arrived by now. I didn't trust any of the mailboxes I saw, so you're better off to leave mail with the desk.

We had room 511. The bed was large and took up most of the room. There was a dresser, desk, TV and free safe. The air conditioner worked very well. We left little things for the housekeepers every day, and they made towel art for us every day and left us a note on our first and last day. They were probably the nicest people on the staff, always saying hello and singing in the hallways. The shower/tub setup was kind of weird, with just a plastic swinging door to keep the water from going on the floor, which didn't work. It seemed like the hot water was limited. The water definitely cooled off if we both showered in a row.

Breakfast is included. It was different from day to day, but included meats, cheeses, a variety of breads, some fruit, hard boiled eggs and eggs cooked to order. The food was definitely much better the earlier we got there, and didn't get replenished frequently. Although the food wasn't great, it was very convenient and we appreciated having this perk.

The hotel can get quite loud because of its open layout, so bring earplugs if the echoing sounds will bother you.

If this hotel were in another city, I would probably give it a 3, but it is definitely a 4 for Havana.

• Related to: Architecture
  • Written July 23, 2010

Room 511

• ofundora profile photo ofundora
  • Reviews: 1

Villa Isis: Private Villa with Swimming Pool

I will recommended this private villas because the good service, seafront with direct access to the beach, fresh seafood and much more. I used the service of this web site:

High recommeded !!

Swimming Pool, excellent view !!!

• Related to: Beaches, Singles, Family Travel