Holguín Hotels

Our Members Say

• vave profile photo vave
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Paradisus Rio De Oro: Not really a 5 Star

I read through a great deal of reviews of all inclusive resorts before choosing Paradisus in Cuba. What I really cannot believe is that there are sooooo many positive, over the top gushing reports on this resort. I just returned home, it was so bad that I paid an extra 600 dollars to fly home after only 3 days. The resort had just been hit by a hurricane about three weeks ago, I will admit that they have worked hard to restore order to the resort, however, there is still alot of maintenance to be completed. I was unfortunately there during a rainy week- part of the reason I decieded to come home early, and let me tell you if it rains there is absolutely nothing to do there but drink or read. The power was off and on again all the time that I was there, the water was out the last day I was there, they have problems getting access to food supplies due to the hurricance. The food was beyond gross. The Japanesse restaurant was deffinitly the best and quite good, but good luck finding a wine you could stomach.
Drinks were all unusal tasting, nothing was what I would call "good". Even a simple pina colada did not taste the same becasue they have restricted access to goods. I guess I knew all of this before going, but I did not really process the information into...there will be not much there for food or drinks that I will be familiar with. And there wasnt. I ended up drinking baileys on ice as it was the only thing that acutally tasted like I would expect it to.
The open air buffett, which is the only place you can get breakfast, and although there is a little bar beside the pool that serves a very limtied menu, the buffet is really place for lunch- was so gross I ate nothing but bread and butter and french fries.
The birds walking all over the food, cats trolling after birds and general uncleanlyness of it all was beyond anything I could handle. Watching birds walk and peck away at food that you are about to eat made my stomach turn. I get that it is "open air" but I have to tell you for 1700/week I expected that they could have figured out a way to keep the birds off the food.
The service was good- as long as you tipped really well and often.
The front desk people were annoying, the language thing drives me nuts, learn how to speak a few languages...if you are working in a resort that lets face it english, german and brits all come too, someone on that desk should have a good grasp of the english language. We emailed ahead to indicate that we wanted rooms in the same building, they did not do this. We told them we wanted second floor only, we are single females and feel more secure not on a ground floor, also not done. When we checked in they said they could not change us, so I refused to leave the front desk and said I would wait in the lounge until they did figure it out. They did, and moved us, but only after really being pushed. They later mixed up my friend and I, so my charges from the spa and her's where mixed up when we said please change it in the system we were told it could not be done. I felt that they were not very cooperative, use the langauage barrier as an excuse " no speaka la english" and all in all left me feeling like they really did not give a crap weather we were happy or not.
My fridge in my room did not work, after calling to have it repaired it finally came chugging on but still did not cool anything.
The mattress in my room I would say is as old as the resort, so somewhere around 15 years old. Disgusting. Linens were also, old, worn, and just in plain pretty awful and certainly not what I would classify " 5 star resort quality".
Because it rained the whole time and I had nothing else to do I went for a pedicure and manicure in the very acclaimed spa...that was the final straw for me.
I was treated to a seat in a little tinly seat in the hari salon, where the "hairdresser" put my feet in a little bowl of water with a squirt of soap. She then proceeded to use a tinly little nail file to push back the cuticles of my toes, did a quick pat dry of them and then said what color would you like? Ah...where's the lotions, potions, the foot scrubber thingy, the skin shaver thingy, the leg message, the foot message, you get my point! Nothing, zip. Serioulsy, the "pedicure" was a nail polish change is what it was. And for this I paid 35 pesos- which was about 45 dollars US. Brutal, is all I can say. Like I said the final straw. When I asked about the rest of the pedicure I was told oh we dont offer that service here. Then when I complained to the head person at the spa she told me that yes they do offer these services however that was a delux pedicure, not listed on the menu, and it was $ 90.00 pesos! Unbelievable.
So, I went to the AirCanada vacation guy and said get me the heck out of here! I flew home five days early and can only hope that my review can save those like me that truly EXPECT a 5 star resort. I would never ever return to Cuba, and have to give serious consideration to even going to other all inclusive resorts. If you are not a big drinker, and dont plan on drinking hundreds of dollars of "free booze" every day, then I would suggest you re think the whole all in concept. In hind site, I would have been much better off to go to a real 5 star hotel and choose what I wanted to eat and drink and when, and not have to try and shut my eyes to the fact that a bird and just been walking on my food.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written November 26, 2008

• stevefrancyclancy profile photo stevefrancyclancy
  • Reviews: 9

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Colonial, of Sra Isabel Sera Galves: Be part of this fun welcoming family

Very welcoming casa, big room, AC & cieling fan, more food then you could hope to finish, hot water, beautiful old colnial house with loads of interesting pictures on the walls, (they love Che) family and everyone were very nice and really good fun, they really make an efffort to make you feel part of family. Seems to be constant stream of visiting friends for dominos or just chilling out in thier large backgarden & word of warning If they start the cubra libres be careful, Isabel and her friends might not be 20 anymore but they are great fun & certanily not shy! Like beingsurrounded by alot of cheeky fun aunts, oh and if you dont like animals might not be place for you, 2 dogs, alot of cats, and a few roosters, but they are very friendly & rarely in house. recently added to lonely planet and easy to see why. only downside is bathroom is accross hall from room.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written November 10, 2008

• jojocruz profile photo jojocruz
  • Reviews: 5

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Brisas Guardalavaca: Good hotel, good value

Stayed here in June of 2003.

It was okay. I'm trying to remember but nothing too special about it.

Beach was nice but not as nice as Cayo Coco or Varadero.

Food was okay.

Rooms were good.

- Manager's pool party (barbecue lunch) by the pool. There was fresh fruit cocktails served in the natural fruit itself. Roasted pig etc...

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written October 5, 2006

• siwaller profile photo siwaller
  • Reviews: 13

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Brisas Guardalavaca: Excellent and Friendly place to stay!!

I have stayed here twice now (total of 5 weeks), the staff have always been very friendly and helpful, the hotel itself in very good condition (for the first hotel built in Guadalavaca) and I have no complaints at all about the food.

Hotel is slit into two areas, the original 3 story hotel block and the newer Aparment area which is very nicely landscaped all with good access to swimming pools, restaurants and the beach.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written February 26, 2005

• Yimi profile photo Yimi
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Casa Margit: Affordable house rental in Holguin

Whether you are spending the entire winter in Cuba, or just a few nights in Holguin, CASA MARGIT provides affordable, quality accommodation.

Two air-conditioned bedrooms, each with private shower (hot and cold running water) -- from as little as $20 USD per night.

Enjoy the shared sitting rooms and balconies, and remember that staff are on-hand downstairs 24/7.

Quiet upscale neighbourhood, but still walking distance to downtown.

Margit will be your "Cuban mother" -- her caring and hospitality will not be forgotten.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written August 14, 2003
Tip Photo

Reparto Zayas is in the foreground

• sweetpea2u profile photo sweetpea2u
  • Reviews: 21

We stayed at the Sol Club Rio...

We stayed at the Sol Club Rio de Mares Hotel. It was really nice and clean. The beach is gorgeous and my most fav' was the snorkeling right in front of the rock mountain near the hotel next door (S.C.Rio de Luna) The coral reef is about 20ft out and the water level was about 5ft deep. Great if you really can't swim.

• Opinion of Price:

• Anita_Porec profile photo Anita_Porec
  • Reviews: 345

Paradisus Rio De Oro: PICTURE: Melia Rio De Oro,...

PICTURE: Melia Rio De Oro, Playa Esmeralda. This is where I stayed last time in Holguin. Melia is gorgeous and features the most luxurious facilities in the Holguin area... Playa Esmeralda is shared by Melia, Sol Rio De Luna and Sol Rio De Mares Hotels(all great places!) Closes to this area is the aquarioum where you can go swimming with the dolphins. From these 3 hotels, walks are offered every morning at 8:00am and they include hiking up a hill, a local zoo, a Cuban Village, farm, ...etc. Great stuff! If you are staying at the Rio De Mares/Luna, you can share facilities and play at both resorts. I would recomand any of these 3 hotels!!

For more pictures on this resort

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

me at the Paradisus

• Anita_Porec profile photo Anita_Porec
  • Reviews: 345

Paradisus Rio De Oro: Close to HOLGUIN, your best...

Close to HOLGUIN, your best bets are Playa Esmeralda, Guardalavaca, Playa Pasquero...

All hotels in these areas are all-inclusive and right on the beach. They range from 2 to 5 star, but it is the best if you acctually pick your resort by the beach instead of the rating. Playa Esmeralda is by far the nices beach, although the fastest growing is Playa Pasquero.

Under accommodations I do have some specific spots that I would recommand

For more pictures and reviews on these resorts you can visit www.allseasons.org adn click on Reviews....Paradisus Rio De oro

• Opinion of Price: N/A

View from Paradisus

• irish_lass profile photo irish_lass
  • Reviews: 17

When staying at Las Brisas you...

When staying at Las Brisas you should stay in the villas. They are much nicer than the hotel and have a nice pool. They are close to the ocean and well kept.

There are two pools at the resort and there are lots of non-motorized water sports which are included with the price. The restaurants are quite good for Cuba. Of course there is lot of booze flowing at all times.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average