Costs 21% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Playa Costa Verde Hotel

Holguin's Playa Pesquero

by Frankiegoes about Breezes Costa Verde (now Hotel Playa Costa Verde)

Everything was perfect except animation and.....a part of the beach that i considered dangerous. Clean, and meal was very good

Big and Beautiful

by TOFFY about Playa Costa Verde

1 week all inclusive cheap package deal.

This hotel sits between Hotel Pesquero and Blau Costa Verde, all sharing the same beach, 10 miles west of Guardalavaca. Pesquero is the largest of the three; Blau is the smallest of the three. It is a beautiful hotel with all the services of a five star resort. No complaints.
I have stayed in all three, and I would suggest the Pesquero is a little too large with not enough staff. The Blau has the best food, but the rooms are not as spacious as the other two. This beach offers a unique opportunity of snorkeling right off the beach in the coral that forms the corner of the Blau section. There is also a wonderful river to kayak up.

Complete Paradise!

We traveled to Superclubs Breezes from May 3-10. This resort is the most beautiful place I have even been. I have to say that I was a little bit worried after reading a few negative reviews. I thought the resrot was competely fabulous, and I have traveled to Bermuda, Bahamas, Peurto Rico and this was by far the best all inclusive resort I have been to. Do not believe all the negative comments, this resort is unbelievable! RESTAURANTSThe group I traveled with (4 people, 21-27) all loved the Japanese restaurant. It was by far the best food we had all week. The Italian restaurant was great as well. We ended up canceling our reservartion for the Cuban restaurant because we heard from other guests it was terrible and a waste of time. No big deal to us, we just ended up going to the buffet that night. The buffet has a wide aray of food. Although not everything apealed to me, I was always able to find something to eat. Overall the food in the buffet was good. ENTERTAINMENTThe shows at night were okay, some nights were better than others. Overall, they were entertaining, we enjoyed them. After the show everyone heads to the dicso where the really party beings considering the disco is open until 4am. The drinks in all the bars around the resort are amazing. The drink called a Crazy Canadian was a favorite, you have to try it! Bascially the drinks flow like water. ROOMSThe rooms were very large and always kept extemely clean. The bathroom is seperated from the sink and a beauty counter. The bathrooms also have a bidet. RESORT GROUNDSThe grounds in the resort are beautiful. The pictures I looked at on the internet do not do the resort any justice. There are flowers everywhere and the grounds are clean at all times. The pool is amazing. It's very clean and there was always some activites to keep you entertained.BEACHThe beach was absolute paradise. Crystal clear water and fine white sand, what else could you ask for! Beautiful!STAFFThe staff at this resort is amazing. We actually exchanged email adresses withgo out of their way to make your stay extra special. I cannot wait to go back to Superclubs Breezes! We are already planning our next vacation for this August. I would recommend this resort to everyone, we had an amazing, unforgetable time. Enjoy! Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Happy Travels!

Brilliant Resort and Excellent Hotel

I read the reviews before leaving and was a little apprehensive about what we might find. I needn't have worried. From the moment we touched down in Holgain the charm of Cuba was evident. From the Thompsons Rep Daniel who was an absolute gem, the staff in the Hotel, the staff on the beach and those guides taking the excursions - all of them were brilliant. We went out and about on Cycles and Mopeds and were met with smiles and cheer from all of the local people we met. The hotel was clean and comfortable, the room was enormous compared to what we are used to in Europe. The grounds were beautiful and wonderfully restful. May seemed to be a good time to go as it is 'out of season' and therefore less busy. We tried all of the water pursuits and the staff again were extremely patient with us when we struggled with the water skiing. There is a wide variety of food available and at first this seemed quite a novelty but by the end of our holiday I was looking forward to some of my own home cooked meals. We packed copious amounts of emodium plus and rehidration mixes but I'm pleased to say none of it was necessary. In fact we never suffered with a tummy upset all the time we were there. (when in Tunisia 2 years ago we suffered for the whole holiday) The evening entertainment became a bit repetative towards the end of the fortnight but this is only down to lack of imagine and not effort. The entertainment staff work hard day and night to make your holiday special. There were so many highlights to our holiday and it's difficult to pick out just one or two. I guess the most exhilerating one was swimming with the dolphins - absolutely amazing and not to be missed. Alongside this would be the Catamaran Trip, it lasts the whole day and you go snorkelling twice before anchoring for lunch. It's the first time I have been snorkelling and the sights were amazing - it was like being inside of a large aquarium. The only thing that spoiled our enjoyment at times were other holidaymakers and in particular a few of the few who were very loud and that spoilt a quiet time by the pool. However, we enjoyed the trip so much that we are booking up to return next year.

Save your money - go elsewhere

We stayed at the Breezes Costa Verde resort from April 27-May 4th. They had a water outage for a 24 hour period during our stay, and twice thereafter. This means: no flushing toilets, no showers, no hand washing, no clean linens the next day, etc. It was absolutely disgusting! Staff were ill prepared to make alternate arrangements to keep the resort sanitary. We complained to the hotel, travel agent, etc. and have received no satisfaction - somehow this is acceptable? If you go to the beach, make sure you use the washrooms first as there are none anywhere in the beach area. Be prepared to tip if you want your sheets changed or toiletries replaced - they will ignore your requests otherwise. The indoor a la carte restaurants are ok, but anything you eat outside make sure you check it first before you eat - chances are there is either a bug in it or has been on it before you got around to putting it on your plate. If you just want to drink and party you probably won't notice these problems - otherwise, expect this to be a 2** resort.

Some good qualities to this super inclusive

Have just returned this morning from this resort and had a very good time. Like everywhere there are lots of good things and some you'd change if you could, the main thing I'd change or rather add are toilets on the beach! Although the toilets are not exactly a long way a way, they aren't on the beach. Mainly this hotel was very nice. The pool is huge and very child friendly, the resort is huge too as its seperated in to villas of about 16 rooms on two floors. The whole place is well looked after. The rooms are big and the whole place is clean with plenty of staff. The Cubans are very friendly and make you welcome everywhere. You don't have to tip like other people have said. We didn't tip our waiters until the end of their week, they change shifts each week, and they treated us very well, with no idea if we were going to give them anything or not. The only place where you did have to tip was the bar at night, the day was fine but at night there only seemed to be 2 bar staff and as all the Canadians tipped I think the bar staff really began to expect it and always served the Canadians first. We never used the bar too much in the evening but if we had I would have just tipped them and got served, I know you shouldn't have to 'cos this is supposed to be tip free but it's not like it cost you a fortune, just a couple of dollars. The food is okay with a lot of choice but like most all inclusives it does get rather repetitive but there are 3 a la carte restaurants that you can go to once each for each week you are there. They are very good. The watersports included are amazing, you can dive everyday if you wish, you can go water ski-ing, banana boat, everything is included, the only thing you pay for are the massage and chiropodist which are excellent value. I paid $10 for a chiropodist which lasted for half an hour and removed all hard skin excellent value, I also had the half an hour massage which was $10 the hour full massage was $20 I would highly recommend these. We went on the speed boat jungle th and I would recommend them both, but if you do nothing else you must go swim with dolphins, an excellent trip and you can just do dolphins for $77 you get about 25 mins with 8 of you and 2 dolphins a video is $25 I cannot say enough about how brilliant this trip was. All in all we enjoyed our stay here very much and thought we might come back next year with our grandson as there are good facilities for kids.

Loved it

I traveled to Cuba on May 10th 2003 with a group of 25 for a wedding. The service is remarkable and the employees will do anything to make your stay a mamorable one. The food was alright...I loved the buffet(jimmys)...It was awesome... There was always somethin to do whether you take a trip on the scooters which are only $30us for 24 hours, or you watch the nightly shows...I am returning next may with the same group . I recommend this resort to everyone... Have a nice trip!!

First timer to Cuba

First time in Cuba, and it was wonderful. The resort was very very nice. All staff were friendly and helpful. I spent most of my time at the beach, it was not crowded at all, probably because of the time of year. I did alot of snorkeling and rented a moped and rode to Guardalavaca beach.(beautiful beach). Take advantage of all the free water sports available -- it was great. The shows were entertaining, the performers gave it their all. The disco was okay, but the place usually emptied out around midnight. Maybe at a busier time of year, the disco would be more entertaining. I had a chance to stop and visit one of the locals at their homes, they are so happy to have you there. I will definitely go back, but during peak season. The food at the resort was good, at the cuban restaurant, if you want lobster you have to ask for it, (it's not on the menu.). The best meal I had was at the Japanese restaurant. If you go to the Italian restaurant, order the meat, the pasta was not to my liking, but then again no one can cook as good as my italian mom. Overall, the people, scenery, rooms, were great.

Cuba 2008

by varpuk

"Holguin-Havanna-Guardalavaca"

Wonderful Cuba. I was there with my husband and my sister

"Havanna"

Tryp Havana Libre

"Guardalavaca"

Playa Costa Verde

Useful info for Newbies

by Lomply

"Playa Costa Verde Resort and Hotel"

We just returned from there on Friday 3 Nov.
The Hotel: as you walk in is lovely and tropical & there's a "welcome" cocktail awaiting you at Reception. Rooms are lovely & maid service daily is OK, we left our lady little gifts & she left us towels made into animal shapes, very clever! I think we'd have got the same level of service without the gifts but it was nice to do & she thanked us.
We had a portable CD player in our room and the telly was all American cable, mostly old dramas and kids channels but CNN was current.
Everywhere was spacious and relaxing, not many people around at all, 10 people at the most in the Pool at any one time. Too late we discovered the snack bar there did chips & such perfect ones too - we spent a week without chips 'til the last day.
I read posts abt shortage of loo roll, toiletries & towels u'll be fine in the Hotel, in fact they supply clean beach towels daily if u ask. Good air con in our room.
Only downside, if u call it that, is that they only had 2 computers to access the Inet & one ate all yr time allocation trying to log on! (6 CUP for an hour and 3 for half).
Mozzies: still developing new bites I'm sure - luckily my child didn't get a single one!
We did have the jabs before we went but as with most things I'm sure this is a personal choice.
Tips: We left tips just a a Peso or three & that was more than plenty I think but u certainly don't feel like u have to leave anything.
Weather: lovely, weather offically 28C but felt more like 35C.

Basically I was so pleased we went, it was near perfect! The people & resort lovely, probably much like Spain was before it became so popular - most people from the UK, a few Europeans and the odd Canadian! I'm almost reluctant to tell you how great it is, lest everyone finds out! Those in the know say there are nicer places than Havana to go to or u can just have a perfect beach holiday - the choice really is yours - maybe see u there some time soon :)

"General tips"

Food: in the Buffet not fantastic but where in the World is holiday food any good? The food is plentiful & they really try but everything really is with that Cuban touch & so not quite what u might expect! Of the three a la carte restaurants, which are included, but u have to book & can only visit each one once a week, the Japanese, was just a glorified Chinese; the Italian was terrible and the Cuban was good because it was authentic!
Beach: the area that the Hotel itself is on is small & the tide came up quite high - I am sure there was much nicer beach area but we were content - the Sea really is picture post card & warm.
Money: u can buy CUP (which replaced the US$ as their tourist currency) at the airport on arrival & at the hotel, we never tried anywhere else as we did hear it said that there is only one exchange rate anyway. The rate is usually anything between 1.65 and 1.69 to the £ - best rate we got was 1.685.
Weather: Hot is the only word to use - we had storms a couple of nights & they cud last an hour or more not like the 5 or 10 mins we get in the UK but it was any cooler; there are no cool nights the Cubans say they have wet and dry weather only, it's always warm! Don't be fooled into thinking cloudy starts will make it cooler cause they don't last either!!!
Our only nightmare was coming home from Holguin, apparently the flights returning to the UK go via Varadero or Holguin & we were not sure whether to board the Varadero flight as it didn't have our flight no. til it left Varadero. There was no info on our itinerary no given by our Rep & once yr in departures yr on yr own - I decided to chance the flight & let the flight attendants turn us away, luckily it worked!
Finally, it's been years since we had a package holiday and was shocked to have to pay for everything on the aircraft going and coming, save for our main meal - £2.75 for headphones on Thomas Cook Airlines and £1.50 on Monarch (& that was rental on Monarch!) - take a tip & try yr iPod ones even if there are two holes, ours worked!!!!!

"See & Do"

We did excusions arranged only with Thomas Cook. They book them with another organisation, & you are accompanied by their agent, who are all government employees. We had three different people who we found knowledgeable, nice and friendly. The coaches they used were all fairly new & reliable & the drivers good, you'll understand this better wen u go to Havana! (The payment for the excursions was taken by my Switch & converted to US$ & from that they worked out the CUP amount - no cards drawn on American banks will be accepted but my Switch was OK cause UK bank).
Day Trip to Havana - that cost us CUP199 each. That consisted of an 0630 start bak to Holguin for an internal flight. That was on Air Carribean and it was a good modern & clean aircraft. It's not true abt all the old American cars creating a wonderful sight for us tourists, if u see any they're mostly broken down - yr're more likely to see a Lada chugging along! We had lunch at one of Ernest Hemingway's old haunts & the food there was the best we had in Cuba. Be warned there are other tourist groups doing the same thing so yr rushed in & out and there's usually a choice of set menu. There aren't many places to shop & choice is always limited. There is a craft fair for tourist gifts but I think that's only there on Tuesdays. Women beware, the men are leery, totally different to the resort! This was the only place where we saw police with guns, even the soldiers guarding various locations didn't seem to have weapons. I rounded off the day by finding original COKE, thankfully for a junkie like me, cudn't even get it at the Airport! One last gripe, the cleaners at the Airport hang on to the loo roll :(
Swim with the Dolphins cost: CUP 130 each, which included lunch, which was terrible. This was a trip to a local farm & visit to the one of the original burial sites for the indigenious indians. Lunch terrible but Dolphins and show predictably lovely.
Speed boat racing cost: CUP35 each. This was a 2 hr excursion & the best -we had a 2 min talk on the controls and then were let loose in a speed boat - amazing as I had never done anything like it before - we practiced in a bay area & then went out into the Sea briefly!
We didn't bother with much else in the way of the Hotel's entertainment or visiting anywhere else as our time was so limited.

Playa Costa VerdePlaya Costa Verde

The view of HolguinThe view of Holguin

DOLP3DOLP3

DOLP2DOLP2

Playa Costa Verde

by eastbournian

hi there fellow VTs...!

my name's bill... i live near brighton on the south coast of england

my wife and i have got a holiday booked at PCV from 29th June to 13th
July this year...

it is our first visit to cuba and it would be great to be in touch with a
few "veterans" to make sure that we maximise our enjoyment

my e-mail address is wcdf@brighton.ac.uk

would be great to hear from anyone who was happy to help out - one preliminary question... looking at the resort map on Debbie's review site it looks like rooms 4111 to 4411 might be the quietest... does anyone have opinion on the "best" rooms at PCV?

best wishes

bill filby

Playa Costa Verde..........October 16th for 7 days! 52 yr old male

by Nomadic1958

Hi there, not too crazy but want to have fun. Hey not looking for sex, but all good.......hehe, but if you are going to be there let me know, PARTY! cliffordwea@gmail.com

by goodfish

Sorry Cliff but this is a forum for travelers and not a dating service or people looking for "hehe". If you want to set up a genuine meet with other VT'ers, use the Meetings section on the VT home page.

by Nomadic1958

Really sorry about that. Not really looking for a "hookup" but people my age that don't feel the need to be in bed by 10 lol. Anyway, thanks for the advice, will check it out.

by goodfish

No problem. Hope you find some late nighters to party with. :)

credit card

by holacuba

hi
we are travelling to the hotel playa costa verde with UK travel companys thomsons. Will i be able to pay for and trips I book with Thomsons on my credit card (it does not have any american connections).

Also has anyone been to playa costa verde, any advise or feedback would be appreciated

Comments