1.5 out of 5 stars1.5 Star

Montemar Natural Park, Matanzas, Cuba, Caribbean

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Hotel Horizontes Playa Giron

Go to El Museo de La Victoria...

by monkeyshine

Go to El Museo de La Victoria on Playa Giron if you are an American. It is the Cuban museum to commemorate the victory over the Americans at the Bay of Pigs. A very different perspective....

Playa Girón

by janchan

A trip to Playa Giron could be a nice alternative to the most famous and usual tours... but BE CAREFUL !!!
On the way you could find thousands of these big crabs crossing the road... and their claws can make big holes on your tires !!

Don't miss cocodrillo meat

by rsudic about La Boca area

If you visit crocodile farm at La Boca (Habana - autopista - Playa Giron direction) you should try crocodile meat in local restaurant. Meal was around 10 CUC (8 EUR). Crocodile meat.

Matanzas province- Visit Cienaga de Zapata

by russian_yaz

Cienaga de Zapata is located to the south of Matanzas province. Opposite to Varadero this is a huge swamp full with typical and endemic flora and fauna. If U're really an nature lover, like to spend hours seeing many different types of birds this is your place.

Here also U'll find a small recreation of a typical aborigen settlement fill with real size statues of aborigens in their daily jobs or just smoking or playing "batos", an ancient game cubans aborigens use to play. Here U'll find a good typical restorant where U can eat crocodile meat. The place is full with crocodiles but don't worry, it is safe off course :)

This place is also known by it's beach "Playa Giron" and "Playa Larga". For sure U've heard about the invasion of Bay of Pigs in 1961 by the north americans. This is the place. U can swim there, the beach could not be as beatiful as Varadero and others but it has it's own special distintion.

Playas del Este and other beaches

by alza

Santa Maria del Mar is the beach I went to. It was beautiful and uncrowded. It's on the Atlantic, where I found the sea more beautiful than on the Caribbean (at Playa Giron, for example.)
The weather was great and there was a rainbow, but the wind blew sand in our eyes all afternoon.
You can get on a bus in Havana with a bike, cross the tunnel between the Old Town and Habana del Este, then pedal. It was ok going but I thought I was going to die of pain coming back. Scorching sun and an old bike, hardly functioning and with a loose seat. Torture. At the tunnel, I asked a trucker for directions for the bus stop and he drove me into Havana. What a relief!
I was badly sunburned.

A few days later, I went to the Bay of Pigs and got more sunburned. I started feeling ill as I was coming back to Havana. The next day, I left for Isla de la Juventud, and there I collapsed.
I had to stay in bed for 5 days, with a doctor coming twice a day to give me penicillin shots. My partner told me all about life on the island when he came home for dinner. I went out on the last day but it was too hot so I made my way back home quickly.

I came back to Havana to find my room was rented out to someone else so I had to run around when I could hardly stand, to find a place. The whole thing was a nightmare. I hate beaches!

Playa GironPlaya Giron

View of Amusement Park and the bayView of Amusement Park and the bay

Streets of MatanzasStreets of Matanzas

Park in Matanzas CityPark in Matanzas City

Best place for snorkeling in Cuba

by Mesje

Please help me - i need to complet my cuban itinerary soon, and need to know, which places are ideal for snorkeling there. I have heard about these:
- Playa Giron - is it really good? I havent found any videos to check it
- Jibacoa - I have heard that it is excellent, but bad point is that in March the sea temperature isnt very good in that north part of Cuba. Is it worth to go there?
- Guardalavaca - I have heard that the snorkeling there is super, but also that there isnt much fish, just nice corals. Is it worth to go so far?

Re: Best place for snorkeling in Cuba

by idram

Hola

Jibacoa and Guardalavaca have good snorkling from the beach at the resorts.

Playa Giron and Playa Larga have good areas to venture to as well as the Cave of Fish.

Mardi

ideas please

by nickiscorpio

hi im getting married in cuba in july, but after the wedding we want a couple of days to ourselves,(away from our group i mean) the 1day we just guna chill but the seccond we were wondering if there were any good excursion you can reccomend, we had though of doing the catamaran with dolphin swim but seing as all my party want to do that we guna book it together . so any other ideas? we would prefer a catamaran or boat trip as aposed to a land excursion? any ideas

RE: ideas please

by russian_yaz

....ok, U're getting married in Cuba....but where?! Varadero, Guardalavaca, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Havana...if U're in Havana I advice U an excursion trough the city. In Trinidad, go to Topes de Colantes, wonderfull waterfalls... be more specific about where U're...bye

varadero at he paradisus

by russian_yaz

Varadero land excursion? Forget about it. I would choose the catamaran or boat excursion including some snorkelling if U can. If U have the option of transportation then maybe U could go to Cienaga de Zapata, Playa Giron, Playa Larga or even Havana, is only 120km...happy honeymoon...bye

by lorgnierl

catamaran, dive in queen island !!

by nickiscorpio

thanx how much is it and can you just snorkle as im not alowed to dive as got asthma although fh loves it

by russian_yaz

Yes, U can only snorkle...sorry, I cannot tell U the prices, when U get there ask in the touris information...

Comments