Barcelo Marina Palace Hotel

Carretera Las Morlas Final, Front of Marina Gaviota, Cuba, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 41% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Good place to stay

My wife and i spent the last three March break at this resort. We have visited here with members of our family and friends. No real complaints (it's Cuba remember). We have enjoyed our stay on each occasion. Beach areas are really nice and not over-crowded, water is warm and turquoise in color ..very pretty. Food is ok ..the three A La Carte restaurants are terrible ... for the most part the rooms are cleaned daily and staff are very friendly. Drinks are available upon request at various locations ..pool bar gets busy but lots of staff to accommodate you.
    Entertainment is first class ..different each evening. The resort is not a large resort ..so very easy to get around.

We were located in the large pool area ..best spot to stay. Some of the complaints about Barcelo are somewhat misleading.

Unique Quality: Pool area is fun to be around. Beach is sandy ,water is warm.

• Well traveled opinion

Stayed here from March 28th to April 4th. The grounds are neat and well maintained, beach is clean and accessable from all locations of the building. The main section of beach near the theatre is the best and most well maintained of the three sections, however the sections farther down have broken shelters and no seat covers at all. The pools are never overcrowded but we had difficulty getting a cold drink anywhere at this resort. They ran out of diet cola after the first day, the lemon slush machine was pumping out lemon flavoured water and my husband was drinking warm beer for the most part. The food was awesome, the buffet had plenty to offer even for picky eaters so I don't know why people would say the food was terrible. There was always a ham, turkey, or roasted pork. The side dishes were endless and the restaurant was clean. The staff was not as friendly as other resorts I have been on but neither were they rude except for one particular waitress. The entertainment was good and always started on time. The magic show and the Michael Jackson show were the two we enjoyed the most. One downfall for me was the sheer size of the resort. We had to take about a 7 or 8 minute walk from our room to the lobby several times a day. They do have carts you can get a ride on always at the front entrance to take you to your building but getting back to the lobby is much more difficult, sometimes you can hook a ride but most of the time you will be walking. I can see this as a problem for anyone with bad knees, legs or any disability. For the most part this was a good resort but because of it's size I wouldn't go back here. But for the younger crowd I think it would be a great spot for you.

• bdglogowski's Profile Photo

No Value for Money

The newly built hotel is located at the far end of the peninsula. It is nice, spacious and offers a lot of recreation facilities. However half of them were closed due to under-occupation. 1 out of 3 pools, 2 out of 5 restaurants, massage and other recreation facilities were closed. Staff was overall friendly but reminded us a lot of the old communist way in eastern Europe. Waiters answering "that's not my table" doesn't give you the impression of god service. The beach was empty which is nice for somebody looking for a quiet corner but traveling with kids one may want to find some friends.
    The restaurant in the light tower was either heavily visited by birds picking in the food or by mosquitos allowing you to eat with one hand only. The other one was needed to get read of the mosquitos.

• Secluded Resort

To be brief the rooms are really clean and pretty nice. A little musky but expected since its so humid in Varadero. There weren't that many activities. We only ended going to the shows at 10 and that's all there was. I only saw one member of the animation team the whole time I was there. It was mainly young families, I maybe only saw a handful of people around my age (22). So if you're young and actually want to have stuff to do after 6 or so then this is NOT the place for you. However if you just wanna chill and relax on the beach this place would be great because its secluded since its at the end of the strip and the beach in nice with lots of lounge chairs.

More about Barcelo Marina Palace Hotel

We loved the Barcelo Marina Palace

by TripAdvisor Member jaxon99

We stayed at the Barceló Marina Palace May 22-29, 2005.
Rooms:
We checked in late at night and were greeted at the lobby desk with a delightful welcome drink. Our ocean view junior suite was beautiful, large, and clean and we had a crib for our baby girl and cot for our 2 ½ year old son. We had asked for the ground floor and it was unavailable, to make up for it we were upgraded the next day to a fabulous ocean view suite-it was spotless-as this is a new hotel, it seemed that we were probably the first guests in this room. The suite had 1 ½ bathrooms and the master had separate shower, tub and separate toilet area all behind doors leading to the master bedroom, truly wonderful.

Food:
We had heard beforehand not to expect too much from the food in Cuba. Therefore, it was not too much of a shock to find that most of the food was very bland, lacking flavour, spices. The bread was always fresh and delicious, baguettes, little rolls. The breakfast is very good, there is a station for eggs, omelettes, and crepes made fresh for you. Be prepared to have French toast and pancakes, sitting for awhile under heat lamps and no maple syrup in sight. Our kids did not like the cereals, very sticky due too humidity-suggest to definitely bring your own cereals from home for kiddies-we did and it was great. Lunch grill is quite good, large selection, great if you like cold cuts and various unidentifiable items. There is a man grilling burgers, mini steaks, sausage, fish, but different taste than we were used to. There is a pasta station, beware of tomato sauce it tastes like paint thinner!!!! There was a pesto that was good. The two a la carte restaurants are very good, nice selection of appetizers, main courses, and desserts, and live music which is a nice touch.

Drinks:
The drinks were great, the lobby bar offering the best pina coladas. Never a problem getting a drink and no shortage of cups as we had read in an earlier review.

Staff/Service/Daycare:
The staff was great, very courteous and friendly. The animators for dance classes, activities, volleyball are great. Look for Pedro, he is very friendly, he’s at the beach in the morning, and pool in the afternoon. As you can see in one of the pics ( that’s him with the big arms ), the game connect 4 is quite popular, and we had tournaments next to the pool bar. The staff at the daycare is wonderful: look for Oxana, Liuddy, and Mayeline. The daycare is filled with great toys for babies, has playpens, cribs, highchairs, and for older kids has bikes, t.v./video, pool table etc… there is also an oudoor play area with slides and mini pool.

Weather:
The weather was perfect the entire time we were there-in fact it was too hot….sunny and 32 degrees daily. Do not forget to bring plenty of sunscreen as you can burn easily and it is hard to find lotion there and it is very expensive there.

Pool/Beach:

The pool is great very shallow all around great to bask in the sun while relaxing. The Beach is uphill then flat (apparently hurricane protection) but beautiful after the climb, calm water, clean. When the second phase opens there will be another pool that is deeper.

What to bring:
The staff is great and they make very little money. We brought kids clothes that no longer fit, the staff was very appreciative-works as tips too! The people love shoes of any kind, baseball caps, women’s clothes, men’s clothes. Any toiletries are appreciated..We brought toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, and soap for the people, they were very happy and it makes u feel good too. Also, we brought beach toys from the dollar store and left it there at kids club for others to benefit!
You must bring bug repellent!!! There are mosquitoes and u can’t see them and they bite!
If you have a baby that drinks milk I suggest u bring formula as the milk is different…mine wouldn’t drink it and I knew she got her nutrients from formula.

Overall:
We had a fantastic time at Barceló Marina Palace. It is a perfect family resort and is very relaxing atmosphere. Phase 2 and 3 are still being built-it will be massive when done and I am sure the price will go up significantly, you should book now!!! So 2 big advantages that we liked were that we practically had the place to ourselves, and we paid less than what it will cost in 6 months. We would go back, we miss it already.

Amazing!!!

by TripAdvisor Member needavacation19

Was at the Barcelo Marina Palace from May 22nd to May 29th. Would definetely go back. Had a great time. The staff was great. The only negative thing about the resort were those sand mites. We would wake up in the morning with little bites on our feet. Bring deet with you. Other than that the place is awesome. The entertainment staff, especially Pedro and Yoel are awesome guys. Made my vacation a blast. Try challenging them to a game of Connect Four. They are the masterminds behind the game. Awesome tournaments. Sandra at guest relations is also a wonderful lady. They do their best to make your stay very enjoyable. Would definetely recommend for anyone but those looking for a party place to pick up. This is not a singles resort. Recommend for couples of all ages, people with kids and if you're single looking to relax.

Paradise at Barcello Premium Marina Palace, Varadero

by TripAdvisor Member travelbirds36

Just completed a wonderful 3-week stay at the recently-opened Barcello Premium Marina Palace Hotel in Varadero'Cuba. It has a great setting at the end of a peninsula where the Caribbean and Atlantic Oceans meet with one and a half kilometers of wonderfrul beach. The accommodation and cuisine backed up by a great service from the staff make it a truly enjoyable 5-star experience with very competitive all-inclusive rates. Would heartily recommend this hotel to anyone, It's fast moving up the list of best hotels in Cuba._Tom and Trish McKeown, Fife, Scotland.

Loved Cuba

by TripAdvisor Member Beach05

Just returned from a week at the Barcelo Marina on July 2. It was a fabulous trip. We brought our 4 children with us and they had a great time. Lots to do for kids. Arnett at the kids club was the best, the kids loved her.

The weather was great, extremely hot, only rained 2 times while we were there.

The beach was perfect and the ocean was soo warm. We spent half the day at the ocean and the other half at the pools.

We have visited many all inclusive resorts in the past years. This was one of the friendliest resorts I have ever been to. The staff try to ensure that everyone has a great holiday. The rooms were spotless and very spacious.

Be sure to meet Alberto in the main lobby bar. He was awesome. By the second day, we didn't even have to order a drink. We barely sat down at a table and our drinks were delivered. He remembered what everyone in our family drank and had it delivered as soon as he saw us. Now that is service. Alberto had a knack for entertaining as he served. Our entire family enjoyed hanging out at the lobby bar just to see Alberto.

The food was good, it always takes a little getting used to when you go to another country. Lots to choose from. The seafood restaurant was the best and the other two (Spanish and Italian) were awesome too.

The water sports were always available. Catamarans, pedal boats etc. The banana boat rides were 5 pesos but worth it. The kids had a blast.

The magic show was incredible and so were the other shows in the evening.

We also had a great time at the disco.

Suggestions:

Definately bring bug spray and afterbite. I went through an entire can of bug spray. As long as you spray there is no problem.
Bring a clock or watch. There are NO clocks in the rooms or around the resort except at the front desk.
Bring gifts for the maids and other workers, they really appreciate it.
Relax and have a great vacation.

unbelievable!!!!!!!

we just returned from babcelo marina palace in varadero cuba on april 29th...we had an unbelievable time...the food, drinks, cleanlieness, cuban hospitaliity were terrific..we hope to return next year when the third phase will be completed....i never expected to enjoy myself as much as i did...

Paradise

The lobby of this hotel is breathtaking...You see an beautiful sand dune and the....the beautiful turquoise ocean. The hotel is bran new, rooms are very nice. I know the hoteks of Varadero and I know the biggest problem in the hotels is the food, well you won't have that problem at the Marina Palace. The food is very good and there is a large choice.
The staff is incredible, specially at the front desk.
We loved it and will go back.

What an experience!!

I went to Varadero, Cuba March 21 to 28, 2005, for the first time. It was the first time that took my daughter went to an all-inclusive resort and I have to tell you it was an experinece she will never forget. So much so, that we went through depression of wnating to go back.

CHECK-IN: We were greeted by the bell-boy who took our bags off the bus and guided us to the from desk. Upon getting to the fron desk while our vouchers etc were verified we were brought drinks. ONce our rooms number was confimred one bell-boy noted on the baggage where we would be staying and another came with a vehicle to drive us to our building. We got to the room and with 5 minutes, our bags were brought to us. What a wonderful start.

ROOMS: Spacious, bright and clean. So clean you were able to eat of the floors. Mini fridge was stocked and safe was working.

MAID STAFF: Each chamber maid was assigned 4 rooms. She was completely devoted to those rooms. She would leave little notes for us welcoming us, then every day there woould be a new and creative way of folding the towels, swans, flower, rabbits, you name it. She noticed a pattern with the first day of our mini fridge use and always stocled with what we used most.

POOL AND BEACH: I can't say enough about they staff. The Annimacion team, Yessina, Yolana, Yoan, Alain, to name a few were fantastic. They always got you involed in acitivies, whether it be dance lessons, aqua fitness, or games. The only critisim that I of have is they need more bartenders at the pool bar and they need a bar on the beach. The Pool boys, got the know you and they would have your pool chair ready for you with the padding and umbrella. The beach staff, especially my dear friend Pedro, could not have been more helpful and sweeter. The staff was always coming around asking your opinion as to whether things can be improved. Beach towels were changed every day.

FOOD: All I can say is that I have horror storoes from people who have visited other resorts in Vardero and the food here was fantastic. From breakfast, Jose my crepe chef, to lunch and the grill, to Dinner. Fantastic. I have teh chance to try both a la carte restaurants and they were wonderful.

OVERALL: This was a five star resort. The staff spoke English, together with Spanish, Italian and German, in most cases. The Lobby bar, Entertainment was great. A new show every night. Theatre bar was superb. I would highly recommend this resort to everyone.

Barcelo Was Everything I expected and more

My friend and I stayed at the Barcelo for a week, April 03. We had a wonderful time. Everything was terrific. We loved the beautiful beach and the pool was beautiful as well.
There was a terrific variety of food, always something for everyone. Maybe not as well spiced as Canadaian food, but then we don't go away to find things the same as in Canada.
The saff was exceptionally friendly. and the service top notch.
The internet service was not always working, however we managed to get our e-mails through as long as we were persisitent.
I woould definitey go back to this resort.

Barcelo Marina Palace

by lorangmac

Some friends and I are planning on going to Varadero in April, we are staying at the Barcelo Marina Palace and I was reading a lot of comments about people having problems with mosquitos, in there rooms and in the lobby and of course outside, I was wondering if this is true and if it is would it be just during sunset they are a problem or all the time and weather it is just outside or in the rooms also. I was also wondering if this is a problem is it just at this resort or most resorts in varadero? I know some people talk about sandfleas in the sand but I am talking about mosquitos flying around your head.

Re: Barcelo Marina Palace

by risse73

I don't remember being bitten by mosquitoes in Cuba, but they are actively there. Actually, there's a dengue fever outbreak, but the problem seems to be controlled. Don't forget to bring an insect repellent with you, and avoid stagnating water anywhere. Feel free to check my "warning" tip on "mosquitoes" in my Cuba page.

Good Luck & Enjoy Enchanting Cuba!

Comments