Blau Varadero Hotel

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less and rated 12% higher than other 4 star hotels

• UneBanane's Profile Photo

Not Even A Year Old

The hotel was part of an all-inclusive package. It's a 4-5 star hotel. Its a relatively new hotel to the strip so all the furnishings and plumbing is new and worked well. It was on the beach (which was clean as well) which was nice.

Unique Quality: Clean beach, great pool, good food (from what I've heard of other places in Cuba) and great view. Nightly entertainment, souvenir shop and a spa downstairs.

Directions: Hotel Zone

• Doug767's Profile Photo

Varadero Blau Hotel

A new hotel (opened 2005) so still fresh and clean. 'All inclusive' terms.
    Food is 'self service' (apart from an 'a la carte' restaurant, special entry terms apply) breakfast, lunch & dinner, which is a good standard. Lunch is also served at the pool bar restaurant (my preference)
    Nice hotel bar area for the evening.
    'Mambo' club situated next door (worth an evening visit, 10 min walk)
    Yes, would go back.

Unique Quality: Large spacious hotel.
    Bedrooms are to a 'European 4* standard'. Pool & sea views at 'rear' of hotel.
    Friendly staff
    Large pool area with sun-loungers & mattress (pool area gets busy with lack of beds if windy on the beach) Pool area is noisy between (approx) 11am - 5pm with the 'pool entertainment' (plug in your ipod!)
    Lovely sandy beach ('beach bar nearby!) a few mins walk (past pool area) Sun-loungers on the beach (no mattress) You can walk along the beach (approx 30 min walk to end, left or right)

More about Blau Varadero Hotel

2nd best rated hotel in Varadero

by smithy65 about Blau Varadero ****

From the moment you step inside the Blau Varadero you know that you have made the right choice. The reception and surrounding areas are amazing. It is light and airy and the reception staff are very welcoming at all times.
the rooms are nice and spacious. Nearly all rooms have a sea veiw after 2nd floor due to its unique design and positioning on the strip.
The hotel is lovely and clean.
The design is amazing.
The food is good and has a couple of speciality a'la carte dining areas that guests can visit each week of their stay.
24 hour snacks and drinks. made to order on some things, eg cheese toasties, sandwiches, omlettes in the morning.
It has a few different style bars to chose from.
entertainment is limited and only starts nightly at 9.45
The grounds are lovely.
wedding packages are available.
Service is very good throughout the hotel.
rep was very helpful.
nice childrens area but very few children about. wouldnt recommend cuba for kids especially young teens as they would become very bored easily.
plenty sun loungers.
doctor if you need her is very nice and helpful.
hair dressing salon*, sauna, jacuzzi, gym, massage* etc on premises. *payable locally.
all rooms air conditioned.
live music played throughout the day.
i would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Varadero as it is far superior to quite a lot of the others in terms of facilities, cleanliness, service and value for money. great veiws, especially on the pool side. The pool is huge and very clean. The walkway to the beach is stunning.
thr reception areas have you looking at them in awe when you first arrive.
the kingsize beds are massive.
Towel art is left most days in your room.

Blau Blau Blau Blau Varadero

by TripAdvisor Member Knoc

We were at the Blau last week in february. The hotel was beautiful. it was the one of the best hotels on the strip. Its pretty large, can be seen from far. The food was good, lots of choices. the rooms were pretty large, very clean and nice. The beach was beautiful. All of the staff was really nice, the chambermaid leaves cute little notes and makes animal shapes out of the blankets if you leave a tip. Nothing much, just a peso. The entertainment team was great too. The Havana trip is definatly worth the money.

Blau

I stayed for a week during February at Blau Varadero. From the outside, the hotel is one of the best looking hotel of the peninsule.

Location:
The hotel is a little far located from the downtown of Vadero: you will have to pay a 10$ (pesos) taxi ride from the hotel to get there. Also, note that each taxi driver can charge you a different amount. On our way downtown, the ride cost us 12$ but on the way back, the taxi driver charged us 10$. A cheaper way to get downtown would be to get the Varadero Beach Tour Bus during the day. It a bus for tourists and it will cost you 5$ and you can use it all day (9 a.m. to 9 p.m.).

Staff:
The staff at the bars and the buffet is good. Pretty much all of them can understand english.
I was very disappointend by the hotel staff because they were very very slow. The two bed lamps of our room were broken and it took them 1 and a half day to fix everyting even if they said to us that they would come right away. One day, the maid did not changed our towels. When we asked to have new ones at the desk, they said that they will made will someone bring it to us right away but nobody came. Another day, we ran out of toilet paper late at night and people at the desk refused to give us some saying that the maids were all gone.

Food:
The food was good. Breakfast from 7 a.m. to 10:30 am. Barbecue by the pool for lunch and buffet for dinner from 7 to 10 pm.

Tips:
We bought little gifts that we gave to the maid every day (make-up, perfumes). She made cygns and hearts on our beds everyday so I guess she was happy with it. However, if you want to also have flowers with the cygns and everything, you'll have to give little gifts plus money as we learned from another couple that stayed at the hotel.

Money:
Right next at the Blau Vadero, at the Amigos Varadero or something like that, there's a place where you can change your money for fees that will be lower than those of the hotel. Also, when we left the hotel, we were asked by two members of the hotel staff if we would like to change their canadian and US dollars with our remaining pesos. One employee has 75$ Us that she wanted to change in to pesos.

Overall:
The hotel is new so it's very nice. I enjoyed my stay because the weather was really good. As if I would come back to Cuba, I don't know if I would return there because for the price I paid, I believe the service at the hotel could have been better.

not happy with stay

My first time visiting cuba, so I didn't know what to expect. By the time we arrived at the hotel, we had to wait about 35min to register, as they did not seem prepared for the number of guests to arrive. There were no maps, pamphlets, books etc. to tell us where to find everything, including meal times and locations. We found the dinner buffet but did not get served drinks until we were finished eating, because they were too busy. When we returned to the room, only one bed side light worked, not even the room lamp worked, (and yes we had the key in the slot). We told the maid the next morning, but it was not fixed until the next day. For the remainder of the trip, the light only worked one evening. Half way during our visit, the door on the closet stuck, and we couldn't get in. Luckily they fixed it that day. The beautiful towel swans in the bathroom we saw in pictures? We only had them the second last and last nights we were there. Our room was located on the seventh floor above the entertainment, which is the dumbest plan ever. With everything being open, the noise was so loud until the early hours of the morning. After a long day of travelling, I don't know how we managed to sleep the first night. The first time we saw the entertainment, it was guests up on stage popping balloons in sexual gestures, and changing clothes with their spouses behind a sheet in front of everyone. As I was with my mom, I felt embarrassed. Every second night they had amazing dancing shows, which were great, but on the alternate days, is was guest dances or Miss blau varadero competitions. During one of the dancing shows, the outfits were very revealing showing full bums as the dancers wore thongs, but the rest of their bodies were covered. Not suitable for children. The property is very small, and no where to go for long walks, unless you go on the beach, which was very nice. The food was ok, but only one dinner buffet, which had the same food every night. And, unless you were there when it opened, it was extremely busy and your food would get cold waiting in the lineups. The a la carte was amazing, if only we could have gone again. One last negative remark, those elevators made no sense at all. they would go past you three times before stopping on your floor, so get on when you can or take the stairs as often as you can. Overall the rest of our stay was ok. the staff was wonderful and the building beautiful. There was different food for everyone's liking. The drinks were also good, and plenty of everything. Whether I would ever return to the hotel? Probably not, because I have heard there is much nicer elsewhere, for the same cost. If you want to go somewhere to get away from noise and relax, this is not the place, since it is always noisy from your room.

New, Modern, Excellent Choice.......

by TripAdvisor Member codygirl

This is a very nice resort in our opinion, not totaly finished yet, very modern though not spanish and would definately go back. It was a last minute deal for us at a great price.

Arriving at the airport and going through customs was a breeze. We exchanged some money right there, greeted by our travel rep and brought to the bus with about a 25 min ride to the resort.

Check in was fast, we had about 10 couples. We were asked if we wanted an extra room card and that was great because we kept the exta one in the slought to keep the hydro on, especially for the fridge.

Rooms, bathroom and closet are a nice size, very clean. Electronic safe in the closet that you program and is very easy to use, I liked the idea of not keeping track of a key. As for the voltage, in the bathroom there is a plug that switches from 220 th 120 and has a picture of an electic shaver on it, but my curling iron wouldn't work on the 120 so tried it in the tv plug and burnt it out. Brought a one cup coffee maker because we like to have a cup of coffee on the balcony in the mornings, but that burnt up too. Next time I would bring my own adapter. Our maid was excellent, left her a little bad of gifts every day and she always wrote a nice note. I asked for an iron and ironing board and she brought me one. My husband asked for a couple of exta beers and she did. The bed was ok, I took one of two blanket they had in the closet and put it under the bottom sheet, it just made it a little more comfortable and our maid left it there when she changed the bed. Comfortable pillows too.

We found the food very good. My husband's favourite was lunch out by the pool area. They did have awsome hamburgers! We didn't come across anybody who felt sick, just complaining they ate too much!! You receive a slip at check in to make a reservation for the restaurant, we didn't make it there but everyone we talked to said it was good and something different.

Pool was one of the nicest I've seen. Not really deep, just right for swimming. We had some days that were cool, so the water was cold I only went in once. You get a slip for your beach towels at check-in and must return the slip when you check out. Never a problem getting a lounge at pool or beach.(That sure was nice).

Entertainment crew had alot of energy, we participated in a few ativities, but they are not pushy, just alot of fun and very friendly. Same with the bartenders, they should have more for the shifts, they were running at times. We had our favourite ones and gave them each Canada hats on our last day, they all loved them, and of course tipped each day.

Beach was beautiful, clean and great for walking. We found there were alot of jelly fish washed up and our vacation rep told everyone to be careful when in the water. Take little packages of vinegar (from a fast food restaurant) and keep them in your beach bag just in case.

Bars stop serving at midnight but there is a disco next door, for 10cuc's it's unlimited drinks. No disco at the Blau. Beach bar serves sandwiches after hours.

Did the Havana day trip, was very nice taking in a little history. Took the double decker bus one morning to the downtown Varadeo. 5cuc's and the pass is good for all day, on and off all you want.

Checking in at the airport to go home, I guess you can say we were caught in their scam, we were told our luggage was 6kg over and for a generous tip he would put it all through or one piece would have to wait for another flight. I still can't figure that one out, we didn't buy much at all and I had more room after leavin items for the maid. So my husband gave him 5 cuc's and we were on our way! That's how they get tipped!

All in all we really enjoyed the Blau Varadero, met really nice people and would recommend this resort.

Best week of our lives!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ritajones

We just returned from Varadero on Thursday, Feb. 23 and
I have to let everyone know that we had a wonderful week! The Blau Varadero was one of the best hotels we
have every stayed in. It was our first trip to Cuba,
so we did not know what to expect except for some of the reviews we have read on this site. But I will start with the following:
...watch your luggage at the airport, as soon as you go outside everyone wants to carry it for you, and yes you have to pay, 5 pesos.
...on your bus to your hotel, you will be offered a drink, it is not complimentary, and he will ask after
you have finished your drink for $5.00 canadian.
...if you get to your hotel before 3:00 p.m., (as we did), you will have to wait for your room to be ready.
...the room we stayed in had an oceanview, king bed, and a gorgeous view of the atlantic ocean and the pool area and the grill restaurant. We were on the 6th floor which was perfect, as the front desk, restaurant and internet access was on the 3rd floor. We used the stairs daily to get back & forth instead of the elevators, as they can get quite busy throughout the day.
...the rooms are very big, clean, and modern with a pull out sofa bed (if you needed it) all rooms have a balcony with patio table & two chairs.
there is also a small clothesline to hang out your swim suits or anything you may want to rinse out.
The washroom has a bathtub with really good water pressure in the shower, a bidet, hairdryer and marble vanity.
...you will not be able to plug any of our electrical things in from Canada
...there is no clock in the room, if you need to know the time, bring a clock as the sun does not come up
until 7:30 a.m. (one morning I got up took my shower and was getting dressed when I found out it was only
4 a.m. after phoning the front desk for the time) We
were going to Havana that morning and I did not want to be late, but this was a little too eary!! An alarm clock would have helped.
...the restaurant was excellent, always fresh food,
breads, fruit etc. They have an omlette bar in the morning (ask for it to be well done, as sometimes they are in a hurry and don't keep it on the grill long enough) They have a cereal bar, but the milk does not taste like ours here. Evenings they have a pasta station which is very good, also they have pizza there as well. The rest of the food is an assorment of meats, fish, veggies, potatoes, salads, and many choices of desserts. They don't serve coffee or tea
after your evening meal. Lunch is served outside at the grill from noon to 3:00 p.m. with a good selection of b.b.q. foods like, hamburgers, hot dogs, sausage, lots of chicken, pastas, breads, salads, nachos/salsa,
and ice cream and cookies, fruit for dessert.
You will never go hungry, and if you miss any meals,
they always have ham & cheese, tuna, chicken and other sandwiches at any of the bars (poolside or oceanside)
...the ocean was great to swim in and was warmer than the pool, so make sure you swim in it! Lots of lounge chairs at both the pool and the ocean. At the beach there are paddle boats, small catamarans (ask for Freddie he will take you out for about 20 minutes),
kayaks and it is all included.
I know this is a long review, but I am trying to make sure I don't forget anything.
The only problem we had was with the bed in the room,
it is a very firm mattress, I guess since they are new they haven't been broken in??
It is very safe to walk around and everyone is friendly and will try and help if needed. The maids are very outgoing, but have limited English. We left something everyday for her and her family which she appreciated very much.
If you would like me to answer any questions you might have, you can email me at romaga0@lycos.com and I
would be happy to help if I can.
Yes I would go back and stay at the very same hotel
as it was clean and very pleasant, good entertainment at night and throughout the day. We took a taxi into
downtown Varadero for $10 pesos for four of us, it is very different from the resort, so be prepared to see
some sad sights. It has a few flea markets where they sell things like trinkets they make, t-shirts and crochet cover-ups etc. Not too much, but an interesting trip to see the locals.
We went on two excursions, one to Havana (a must) and one on the Catamaran to Cayo Blanca (I think), we went snorkelling in the Atlanic and swam with the dolphins on the same trip and that was amazing!!
Can't wait to go back again

Cheap but live-able

by Northof60 about Hotel Mar Del Sul

Spent two nights in a 2 bedroom suite. Unlike the 4 and 5 star Varadero hotels, poor water pressure, thin pillows and amateur evening shows blended with the Cuban atmosphere at this cheap beach resort. This is what most of Cuba is all about. No frills or pretentiousness, just the basic needs. Great pool
Close to a Repidor store where you can get a grande agua for 0.7 CUC.

cuba

by smithy65

"cuba varadero and havana"

After watching the travel programs and wanting to take my daughter and her partner on the trip of a lifetime we decided on cuba. Home of saltza dancing, cigars, friendly people and rum.
After much anticipation and a ten hour flight we finally arrived in our chosen destination.
First impressions as we landed on the tarmac of varadero was that it was hot and doing its best to keep the recent outbreak of swine flu under control. The airport staff boarded our plane in their face masks and insisted we all filled out medical forms. passport control went quite smoothly and we were soon on our way to the Blau Varadero hotel. The transfers were comfortable and thomas cook rep informative.
We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of our hotel after seeing others along the way when we arrived there about 45 mins later.

"Varadero and the beach"

The main town of Varadero for tourists is along one main street.
There are a few markets but all sell exactly the same things and they are worth haggling at. Leather goods and wood seem to be popular but look out for tell tale pinhole marks as some have woodworm. avoid roseary beads and things decorated with red beads with a black spot on as these are highly toxic and one bead swallowed by a grown man can kill. some countries like canada won't allow them through customs if found. They are used as decoration on quite a few items.
Toilets are few and far between and are often disgusting and expensive. Toilets are usually a CUC each person, some say its small change but most insisted we left 1 each. As there were 4 of us it was costing us the equivelent of £3.60 each time we needed to spend a penny. some penny. you are usually given up to 3 sheets of toilet paper each folded over to use for what good it is and puppy soft it is not.
Taxis are plentiful and you are continually beeped as you walk down the road by the drivers wanting the fare. always check the price first and make sure it is for all persons travelling as usually the fare they tell you is per person.
There is an open top tourist bus that runs up and down Varadero and to the bigger hotels all day over. This costs 5 CUC each and you can use your ticket all day. Alternatly there is a small train that runs 2 CUC each way pp but if you buy a return you can use this more than once in the day. There are the coco taxis which are a novelty but i would not go to far in them as their safty is questionable. carriage and horse rides are plentyful too. haggle with them especially if you are going into varadero as they will do them much cheaper as they are going back there anyway.
The shops are not like you find at home and sell bits and bats of nothing really. we found a supermarket but it was only the size of a Mc Colls, small spar if that.
Don't go to cuba expecting a shopping heaven or goods cheap as this is very much the opposite. a can of rolla cola equivalent will set you back nearly £2 a time.
I wanted a 1GB SD card for the camera and it was nearly £60, i left it and did not bother as top brand ones at home are less than £20.
On the upside the local beer was reasonable for a bottle.
You get to see quite a few of the old cars running around whilst you are in Varadero, more than in Havana really.
People want to shake your hand quite often and get in on your photos but it usually comes with a price. it was a bit of a standing joke at the hotel when someone asked you did you want a photo of your party taken together, the English would say to each other ,"that will be 2 pesos."
The living accomodation varies throughout the whole of cuba and some houses leave you questioning how they remain standing they are so ram shackle.
The beaches at Varadero are nice and the sands are white and soft, especially near the main hotels. The beaches are not very wide but are long and run for miles.
If i am to be totaly honest i prefer Alcudia beach on Mallorca any day of the week. The sea however is amazingly clear, too clear actually as i learned to my cost. As a person who is not very confident out of her depth in sea water i jumped off the side of a pedalo into what i thought was a depth of 3 feet into what was in fact about 30. I think i am still tasting the salt water now. Snorkelling is good and there are quite a few activities you can do that are beach and sea related.
Things like Hobby cats, snorkelling, pedalos etc are quite often included in hotel all inclusive packages.

"Havana"

Havana was a place i longed to visit.
Havana is a place i do not care if i ever see it again.
To say i was disappointed in Havana would be an understatement. Sometimes it is just best to visulize these places and keep it at that. I found Havana to be all false, dirty, smelly and just a staged photo call.
Salza dancing, i was there 3 week and never seen it happening.
The women in the brochures sat smoking the giant cigars, which are not cigars at all but rolled up banana leaves that are not even lit are there purely for "lady, lady take my picture." as are the men in the white suits with walking stick and unlit banana along with the kissing girls employed by the goverment.
There are not as many old cars as in varadero and most that we saw that were are taxis run by the goverment. The excursions round revolution square did not even stop and you had to take photos through the coach windows whilst on the move.
stayed in a ***** star hotel overnight and it would be lucky here to make 3 at best.
Capital of rip off and tipping. dont get me wrong im not against tipping for a service but not for nothing and i hate feeling like i have been jipped.
The only thing Havana has going for it is the Tropicano show which is fab.
The place and the costumes are sensational and the drinks are really free, well a glass of champagne, 1/4 bottle of rum and a can of coke and a bottle of water are after you have paid your 49 pesos to go in.
Havana left me cold but i was glad our hotel paid for our trip because it had overbooked or it would of cost us over £600 for the overnight stay and show for the four of us and we had planned on doing it during our stay anyway. had i of paid to go out of my own pocket i would of been even more aggrieved by it.
Believe it or not i had a very good holiday in Cuba as will become apparent in hints and tips. This was due to our hotel and some of the activities we experienced but 2 weeks was enough and i can't see me ever returning.

Jason Crummey @ Palme Real Hotel, VaraderoJason Crummey @ Palme Real Hotel, Varadero

a pic of my post card of Varadero Cubaa pic of my post card of Varadero Cuba

a pic of my post cards of Varadero Cubaa pic of my post cards of Varadero Cuba

Czech Jawa motorcycle & sidecar, Varadero, Cuba.Czech Jawa motorcycle & sidecar, Varadero, Cuba.

Blau Varadero

by xo_honey

hi. i am travelling to the blau this week. i was wondering if anyone had any info about the blau or had been. does anyone know what the excursions are and the prices? we are lloking at havana and rolling our own cigars. any info is appreciated!!

RE: Blau Varadero

by logeyboy

Hi,

I'm going to the Blau too on the 1st of January, and pretty much want to do similar things to you, so I'd also welcome any info.

Comments