Hotel Oasis Las Morlas

Carretera las Americas, (Formerly Hotel Las Morlas), Varadero, Caribbean

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Oasis Las Morlas

...riu las morlas great experience!!!!!

the Riu Las Morlas experiece was the most!!!!. We spend 1 week in the complex. We enyoi the beach, the food and all the activities that the staff was prepared for all the visitors.

The show was great too, very profesional, and the dancers was profesional too (specialy the ladies).

One thing. For us, the discriminations of the Cuban´s people ( in hand of the local persons) was a shock.!!! You need to work ON it.

AFTER ALL.....DONT FORGET THE RIU LAS MORLAS EXPERIENCE IN VARADERO!!!!!!!!!

Riu Las Morlas- What a deception!

This hotel was so good, that we were forced to change to Barcelo Marina Palace(5 stars) for 9 euros each person/night only!
This is not an all inclusive hotel, at least for those who had already been to other places where the all inclusive means food and drink 24 hours a day. The rooms were basic, some people did not have soap at all. We had hours to eat, the food was always the same and the snacks were nothing but the lefts from lunch, until 4 p.m. Breakfast was only until 10 a.m. and to have dinner we had to choose between 6:30p.m. to 8:30p.m. or 8:45p.m. to 11p.m..The dining room was hot, like a sauna, so the best option was eating outside(where there were a few tables).

The worst hotel ever seen

As I have said in the subject, I have never seen an hotel worst than this one. This was our fourth time visiting the the zone, and this hotel seem to us awful. This is not what you expect when you trip there.
As soon as we arribed there, we phoned to our tour operator in order to go to other hotel, we went to Barcelo Marina Palace which is a wonderful one.
The Hotel Riu las morlas is all very old, it is not very clean, the food and the cocktails are bad, the instalations are of other century ...
I think it is a better option to go to any other hotel, because one person of Varadero who works in all the hotels told us that Riu las Morlas is the worst hotel of varadero.

didn't liked it at all

by TripAdvisor Member tangara

we've stayed in the riu las morlas on juli 2005
there where a lot of problems
when it rains the rooms at 4the floor are onder the water
rooms where not cleaned with soap / the dishes where not clean the food was really not very good
the swimming pool was not clean...there where a lot of people that allready stayed at that place and they didn't understand the difference
it seems that there is a new manager and that changed everything...
the biggest problem is really the hygiene in this hotel
i will not return

Time of my life

this was the second time I came to riu las morlas and again I had the time of my life, I love the beach, I love the pool, but most of all I love the people over there. They are friendly, fun and they are the most open people I ever met. I had a lot of fun. There also were a lot of activities, like volleyball, aquagym... The shows at night were great and the bar over there is lovely. You can drink whatever you want, they have everything. And the barmen are very friendly to you. I am sure I am going to go back next year again, no doubt!

The waste of time and money

Food is awfull. Animation team is terrible and often vulgar. Service is nothing special. Beach is everything but not clean and white. THERE IS NO WHITE SAND ON VARADERO BEACH. There is noise even after 12pm. the only positive thing is that we had clean room all the time.
Coctails are mostly discusting, which is not strange when you see that they prepare them with cheapest rum. The most of the coctails have some awfull chemistry inside. You can't even drink natural juice there! After Riu las Morlas experience, I will never come back in Cuba again. That was complete waist of time and money.

Rui : Excellent Value for the Money

by TripAdvisor Member tacos

I stayed at the Rui in August/05 and had a pleasant stay. The staff, especially Umberto were very helpful. They often went out of their way to ensure that we were having a good time. The rooms are a bit dated, but we are used to that. I do expect some spiders, bugs and yes - we saw them. The food was warm and served with a smile. We always feel welcomed staying in Cuba.

We normally stay with Iberostar of Sol Melia, but the price attracted us. For the money - what can we say. We had a pleasant stay. The beach is white and blue ocean as always. Wonderful trip to Varadero and the Rui Las Morlas was part of that memory.

DO NOT STAY THERE

We had booked this hotel in June and only beginning of October we discovered this website and concluded some people exaggerate or must be very, very hard to please. But then we arrived, we saw what they meant. Our walk to the room was aromatised by smells of motorgasoline, insectiside wet plastering. It made me think of school gymbags.
Our Room at 4th floor was small en smelly. The airco was so loud we had to read lips. We hardly had a robe ward and were forced to put part of our stuff and underwear in the desk drawers. Unfortunately the way to 'open' the drawers was pulling of the front, which was easy, all of the furniture was falling apart.The white ants in the bath room had a fixed travelling path. The safe was to be opened and closed with the door-key card, so what's the point ? The travelling agent told us there is as good as no theft in Cuba and certainly not in Varadero and I must say I believe her. This is true, most of the staff was very friendly, also at the Las Morlas and I have not heard of any problems of safety of security in any of the hotels or the beach for that matter so the safe-opening-worries are not the main problem in this hotel.
After the bell boy had come, we heard a knock on the door and a friendly cleaning lady apologised for forgetting to leave the hotel soaps : she gave us 3 used ones. (Bless her)
The Pool itself looks alright from a distance or on a photo in a brochure or on internet, but in real, the surrounding was dirty and cracked concrete, so the bottom of the pool had a lot of bits and pieces of the surrounding on it.
We checked out the ping pong facilities they are so proud to mention on the brochure: 1 table, no balls, and half a pallet !
And we checked out the gym: the cross trainer is fully mechanical but unfortunately missing 1 crucial wheel. Further there are 2 'modern' (let's say '80-isch) devices but no wiring to connect them to the power network.
Top of the bill: when my husband entered the 'restaurant' to make a reservation for the first evening he was told he could not come and have dinner in those clothes!!!!! I can assure he was in normal beach wear and it was only afternoon when he just went to get information on where to make the reservation.
When we went for (awful) dinner we got serenaded by a bad orchestra as if the food was not yucky enough already.
Must say breakfast was not all that bad, but maybe it was the idea of getting the change that day, that gave us some courage. Sitting down in the filthy seats of the lobby we discussed the change with a representative of the travelling organisation. We are not happy with them neither by the way, for recommending this place to us- there must be lots of Belgian people with this experience. At least 3 other Belgian people, changed hotels that very same day (1 couple shared the taxi with us, and 1 single man we met at Las Morlas told us on Varadero airport when leaving, he had changed after 1 night) and when we exchanged the towels in Las Morlas, the pool people were not surprised at all we asked for the towel card back in stead of for other towels "o, changing hotels are you ? OK"
Anything but this for our stay in Cuba. We could have accepted this maybe in a Havana Hotel, or if we had had a very very good deal on a short trip but not on an expensive long stay in Varadero. The free bottle of Rum, which by the way was not in the room can not make up for the misery you go through.
We changed to Barceló Marina Palace and it is Paradise compared to Las Morlas for only a few Euros more /night.
I would be pleased if management would respond to this comment because when you check : all the bad comments started after June 2005 : what happened ?

Great little place...

by TripAdvisor Member sarmay

Just returned from the Las Morlas on March 14th 2005. It is a small hotel but very personal and we had a great time.

Cleanliness: This hotel was super clean-no issues at all with the room or the rest of the hotel. Always saw staff cleaning inside and out. I did not see any bugs during our stay.

Food: There is only one restaurant at the Las Morlas. It is open for breakfast and dinner and it is buffet. Lunch is served (buffet as well) down by the beach in the grill area. The buffets all consit of a variety of things-you can get any style of egg or great omlets for breakfast, lots of fruits bread etc. Lunch consisted of salads, fruits, great desserts, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries and then a different rice, pasta, or grilled item. Dinner also had salad fruits, pasta bar, a roast of some sort (the pork and beef were very good!) many seafood dishes, always fish and of course great desserts. The staff in the restaurant were wonderful to us. Ihosavny makes beautiful flowers from knapkins and Carey makes a great grasshopper from leaves. They treated us like royalty. Please spoil them too!!! We never went hungry and always enjoyed our meals.

Bars: There are 3 bars at the Las Morlas. The lobby bar makes excellent drinks and is open later than the rest. The beach bar is small but is great and handy for beer or mixed drinks while on the beach-not far to go at all. The pool bar is the busiest and makes great fancy drinks-pina coladas etc..

Room: The room (330) was very comfortable-2 three quarter beds put together. They were firm and I had no problem. They give you one long pillow that you can fold in half to give yourself that 2 pillow feeling. There is a bar fridge in the room that is restocked every second day- water, Cristal beer, coke and orange pop. We never ran out as we only used it when we were actually in the room. You can access water (bottled) at all of the bars. There is also a large bottle of rum in the room when you arrive-not the best but if you pour lightly and add some coke it makes a nice drink. Olga cleaned out room every day we were there and made great towel art. TV worked fine and we were always able to find a movie on somewhere. Big closet with a safe, lots of drawers. The bathroom was very nice-always clean, lots of toilet paper, fresh towels and no problems with water pressure. The room was a good size but in all honesty we were never in it other than to sleep-pack or unpack. Nice balcony too with a great view of the pool area and some ocean.

Beach: I cannot say enough about how beautiful the beach is. The sand was white and soft. The water color is too hard to describe and could never give you a clear picture of how beautiful it was. Very clear, very salty, great waves to jump in. We brought water shoes but never used them. Never had a problem getting a palapa as there was always one empty somewhere. There are the ususal hobie cats, kayaks and paddle boats there to use (included) The ocean was warm and we the beach walks were great. You can easily walk in to Varadero from the beach and it is a bit cooler walk than taking the road. One word of mention...you may wish to bring an air mattress if you are a beach dweller. My hubby found the chairs hard and not too comfy.

Pool: The pool was very nice and wound around the bar area. I swam in it the last day and it was cool but nice once you were used to it. It appeared clean all the time and I was not overwhelmed by the smell of chlorine when I was in. They have a swim up bar but I only say one person at it the whole week we were there. Lots of empty chairs around the pool all the time. The chairs are softer in the pool area. The grounds at this hotel are beautiful and well looked after. Lots of birds and little lizards-totally harmless!!

Reception: No problems with check in or out and the staff was always happy to answer questions, exchange $$ etc. Upon arrival at the airport they put you on a bus that takes you to your hotel-there are great drinks on this bus!!! $5 pesos for 2 drinks. We did split on a late check out with some people we met there -cost is $25 pesos but it was worth it to us as regular check out is at noon and we did not have to leave for the airport until 7:45pm. It was nice to be able to go and take a shower before departing. If you do not pay for late check out they put your bags in a safe room and give you access to a room for changing and showering. When you get to the airport you may wish to stay downstairs for a while before going through security. We made the mistake of going up right away and it is very hot and crowded. At least downstairs you can go outside and get some air.

Havana trip-think it cost us about 67 pesos each. 2 hour bus ride with a guide who gives you great info about Cuba. Bring a roll of toilet paper with you!! Havana is beautiful and there is so much to see that this short trip really does not give you enough time to take it all in. I wish we could have stayed for longer. Lunch is inlcuded in this trip and it was very nice. They give you time to shop a bit and take you to see some beautiful places. I would love to go back to Havana and explore sometime.

Catamaran/Cayo Blanco-$75 pesos pp. This was a very nice trip-catamaran was a blast. Drinks are all included. We stopped betwwen 2 islands and they cooked up some lobster that you could buy for $10 pesos. Nice music and atmosphere on the boat. Cayo Blanco is a nice island with a gorgeous beach where you sit and relax and then there is a large buffet lunch. We saw dolphins in the bay just off the island. Party time on the way back with great music and dancing. After the Cat trip you are bussed to a place for a dolphin show. It was short but cute and you are pretty tired by this point anyway. Big hello to Sherri and Sherri from Halifax who made our trip pretty funny!! This trip also included the Catamaran sunset tour the next evening. It was vey nice but we were not informed drinks were not included on this trip. They were only a peso each but we had not brought much money. Sunset was beautiful but watch the mosquitos when you return to the landing. This was the one and only time we saw mosquitos in Cuba. Bring some spray and put it on as you return to shore.

Animacion: There is a small animacion team at the Las Morlas and they give great effort and work very hard. They invite you to join games during the day and put on the shows at night. The dancing and music were great. This hotel has more of an older crowd and not much happens after 11pm. I would not recommend it to a youger crowd looking to party. We are in our 40's and found it a bit too quiet.

Overall this is a great little hotel that is clean and has a super staff. The beach is wonderful and there is a lot to see and do. There is a bank right next door and Varadero is a 10 or 15 minute walk. It was hot when we were there so walking in to town in the morning is advised. You can grab a cab or carriage on the way back if it is too hot or if you are carrying too many parcels from shopping at all of the markets. The carriage ride cost 10 pesos for 4 of us. We lacked for nothing on this trip and had a great time. Big hello's to Sharon and Kathy (Katee!!), Eric and Josee and Earl and Dawn-you all made our trip more enjoyable!! Any questions..sarmay88@yahoo.com

Didn't want to leave

by TripAdvisor Member razz_01

Just got back from the Riu Las Morlas in Varadero with my sister and three other friends from April 17 to 24. Although this resort was smaller than others it was a great time for me. It was my first time going to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean and it is definitely memorable.

The Flight:
We flew with Air Transat from Montreal and the flight made really great timing, the food was not that bad. We had chicken quesadilla's and doritos on the way there, and Montreal style smoked meat sandwiches with a brownie on the way back. Movies were good, we watched Ocean's twelve and National Treasure. Staff always seemed to be busy doing something and I died of thirst as they wouldn't respond to my service light! So bring a bottle of water with you just in case.

Bus Transfers:
We were one of the first people on the bus to the hotel which was okay as we didn't have to wait in the long line in the airport for customs and money exchange. There was also a really cute guy on the bus who was selling cerveza's (beer) for 2 pesos. It was really nice after the long flight and you are so excited to be there. The bus ride was not very long about 30 minutes as we had to drop off other passengers at other hotels first.

Hotel:
When we got to the hotel it was very quick to check in as there was not too many of us. Since we arrived late around 10pm there was no welcome drinks or any dancing for us. We stayed in room 252 which had a beautiful ocean view. Very few rooms there had ocean views, try not to get pool view if you plan to go to bed early as the entertainment stage is right near the pool. We got a free bottle of rum in our room and the mini bar was stocked every two days so if you are a big water drinker use wisely. Every room had a balcony with chairs which was nice to sit out in the morning. All rooms have air conditioning which worked really well. We never put it on until we went out for supper and then turned it off right before bed as it was a little noisy. Didn't have any problems sleeping, comfy bed and pillows and temperature just right. The hotel is also a ten minute walk from Varadero.

Pool:
The pool was very beautiful and nice to swim around in. There is a little round tanning section in the middle of the pool. The swim up pool bar is not a busy place as not that many people were swimming, so you are better off getting your drinks outside of the pool. Pool is a perfect temperature for cooling off and sitting back in the hot sun. There is also a little waterfall and a kids section.

Restaurants:
There is only one buffet restaurant and one grill restaurant that is only open for lunch. The grill is right near the beach so if you are out tanning it's literally a two second walk. The buffet was okay, not the best food. The grill at lunch was much better. Their meat was really yummy, good chicken, pork, and ham. Beef and cheese tasted weird as I think they have a hard time finding nutritious food for the cows. French fries are good. The ice cream was great as it was all Nestle products. Anyway, bring some extra cash for buying lobster if you are a seafood lover on the boat tours and if you would like to go out for dinner once or twice. You can also buy chips and cookies in the hotel store.

Bars:
There are three bars the Pool bar, lobby bar, and beach bar and the bartenders were all very friendly. If you are a frequent bar attendee they always remember your drink! The ice in the drinks didn't bother me at all so I used the water to brush my teeth too. The daquiri's are really good and pina colada's.

Beach:
The beach is breathtaking!! The water is always warm and the sand is so white. There was lots of beach space and always a chair that you could grab under a palm hut. There is mini catamaran boats, paddle boats and snorkeling that you can do for free. A banana boat is always driving by if you want to pay extra for the ride. If the beach is too windy the pool is a great alternative. Watch out for the topless women.

Entertainment:
The entertainment staff is great and always trying to make you laugh. They have shows every night and lots of music, dancing lessons, aqua fitness, and much more! They are super friendly and always remembered who you were! Great dancers and Alian is super friendly. Get to know him!!

Tours:
We did the Catamaran tour which was awesome. We sailed the ocean for about two hours and stopped for a lobster lunch and snorkelling for 45 minutes. We then went to an island Cayo Blanco for lunch and swimming, it was so gorgeous there. Our drinks were included throughout the tour and there was someone videotaping the whole time. We then cruised back and went to a dolphin show. I got to go in with one of the trainers and touch and kiss the dolphins. Very cool and nice animals. We also got a bonus sunset cruise on the friday for a few hours with another lobster supper at extra cost. Our second tour was the Rio Canimar which we got to go snorkeling for about an hour. Make sure you get a water camera, it was crazy cool. We then went swimming in a fresh water cave which was so weird but also very exciting. We then cruised the river to go eat lunch and horseback riding. Could have done without that part. Later found out that the jeep tour would have been better as the snorkelling and swimming in the cave was included in that one as well. Lastly we rented scooters which made our week! They were so fun and we got to drive wherever, the gas was also very cheap, 3 pesos to fill the tank. They were so fun that we rented them twice.

Overall I loved Cuba and I wouldn't mind going back to the Riu Las Morlas. I would just bring my own snacks and a little extra cash for other restaurants. If you are not a picky eater everything was wonderful! Can't wait to go back.

Riu Las MorlasRiu Las Morlas

Riu Las MorlasRiu Las Morlas

Beautiful modern BathroomBeautiful modern Bathroom

Beach/Seafood RestaurantBeach/Seafood Restaurant

riu las morlas

by lil_canadian

I have been reading some reviews on the Riu Las Morlas, and I am quite nervouse about spending money to go stay there. The reviews that have been written since June 05 have been scary. I am not really going for luxury, but I also dont want to stay in a trashy place. Help me I want to know how the hotel is before I go in January. I heard thet the reason the place has become so dumpy is because they have changed management and there have been a lot of cut backs so to speak.

Josee

Confusing Reviews on RIU Las Morlas

by Red_Barron51

Has anyone lately been at this Hotel and what are their experiences. We are planning to go in March 2006 and are somewhat concerned since reading reviews on TripAdvisor.com
Can anyone help?
Your answer would be appreciated.

Red_Barron51

RE: Confusing Reviews on RIU Las Morlas

by russian_yaz

Hello...Las Morlas is a 4 stars hotel with plenty of ammenities and places to rest. The rooms are well equipped and have great view to the sea. The service is ok. Always remember that U´ll be in Cuba and many people still don´t work at their best. Some even still don´t believe that "the client always has the reason"...have fun!

Nightlife in Varadero outside the Hotels?

by Skinnera

I'm travelling with my girlfriend to Cuba in October/November '03 and combining Havana with Varadero (probably LTI Varadero).
I've heard that the nightlife in the LTI leaves a little to be desired (lip-synch singing to well known musicals, etc), and wondered if anyone had any experience of venturing away from the resorts to find nightlife in Varadero itself?
How easy is it to get out of/back into the resort, how far away can I find some better entertainment, how safe, any specific places - that sort of thing.

Any advice or information gratefully received.

Nightlife in Varadero outside the Hotels?

by Sharon

HI,

When i was there we went out to a Cuban club out of the resorts areas, i used to go with the entertainment team as we became quite friends there.
I dont remember how far was it but the whole place is quite small so it cant be more then a few min'.
I dont remember the disco place name as well but i know there are places like that so you can go out and have fun, dont waste your time in your hotel.

S.

Re: Nightlife in Varadero outside the Hotels?

by AnjaV

Best to go is the Mambo Club, its at the end of the island,
Centro nocturno,
Carretera de Las Morlas, km. 14,
Big fun after 10 in the weekends and after 11 at weekdays...

2 weeks ago Rumba and HavanaCafe were closed because of the drugs problems in Cuba right now

See this page for other addresses...

have fun!
Anja

Re: Nightlife in Varadero outside the Hotels?

by kjerstio

Just a piece of advice for you, hope it doesn't soud too negative...
When I was in Cuba two years ago I found Varadero to be the worst place of those I visited. Not that it's bad. Maybe it's because the other places were magnificent and Varadero thereby seemed less magnificent. Of course, if you go to Varadero for the beach, there is no beach like Varadero (!!), but if you go for the culture, salsa and live music I found Trinidad de Cuba to be the best. Museums, live music and clubs around the central square.
I hope , as already mentioned, this doesn't sount too negative. Varadero is great too although I do recognise your description of lip-sync..
And Havana: Everyone should go before they die. Preferably before Fidel dies too as one expect it to change at that point. Enjoy your holiday!! Wish it was me!

Comments