Hotetur Sunbeach Hotel

Based on 337 reviews

Tags

Beaches Budget Travel Diving and Snorkeling
See Amenities

Acceptable if on a budget

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 16, 2011

We have just returned yesterday from our vacation in Varadero at the Sunbeach. Since we got a really good deal from a family of three, two adults and a child, we had low expextations for that resort. This hotel is very old, not as fancy as the ones at the end of the city. The room was clean, with the double beds, a small sofa, a desk that can barely stand. The bathroom was more recent than the rest, let's say 12 years old, all tiles. We had no balcony and a small window with a view of the streets. What I didn't know when I first booked is that the Sunbeach is one of the first hotels of the city. So you can hear the cars, trucks and buses early in the morning, let's say at around 7 am. So you can't expect a quiet morning. The beds were not confortable. It was fine for our child, but for us, the matresses had very little support.

As for any all inclusives, there's a buffet and one restaurant where they serve pizza and pasta. It's my third trip to Varadero and it's the first time I actually have trouble with the food. It might be the dairies. But as my husband and toddler had no problems at all, I just chose meals without milk or cheese. I would say the chicken and white fish were very good, the rice and the bread as well. You can expect grilled shrimps, ham, pork chops, salmon and turkey. The turkey was one of the best diner we had. Very well cooked and super tender. Only one diner though in the whole week. Overall for the food, you will little variety, but tasty nonetheless. There were a lot of people during our stay and sometimes the staff ran out of utensils, plates and cups. Most of the staff at the buffet were nice and helpful, especially with children. There are two high chairs and there was always one available.

The pool was very clean and you must reserve chairs first thing in the morning with your towel. Same for the beach. The good thing is that this Hotel is close to the stores, some restaurants, the airport and the bus stop. So if the weather is not so nice, there are things to do. The tourists coming from Russia and Germany did not seem as friendly as our fellow Canadians with the staff. I found that suprising. Overall, I would not recommend this resort to families with young children. However, if you want to travel on a thight budget, this resort will provide you with an acceptable service. I'd keep this hotel at a 3 stars flat, no more, no less.

Unique Quality: The activities around the hotel, the pool is nice. Some water sports included in the price at no extra charge. Walking on the beach is great.

Directions: Beginning of the Varadero area

Great holiday

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 13, 2010

My wife and I have stayed here for the past two winters. The food was good, the service was very good and the amenities were excellent. The beach was world class. The staff remembered us from the year before and went out of their way to make us welcome.

The BEST was the location. It was near the market, the beach and transit

The WORST- Some tourists treat the staff like crap. Not a good idea. Cubans are poor but they have pride. If you enjoy bullying the "servants", do not stay here.

See you in January.
Bryan

Unique Quality: Good wine

Camping_Girl's Profile Photo

Budget 2.5 Star Accomodations

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 17, 2010

For a budget hotel, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff (with the exception of front desk staff) were very friendly, very helpful. The food here was very good, better than some 3.5 stars I've been to. The buffet was certainly smaller but the quality was very good.

The pool was wonderful, as were the 2 bars at the pool :) The ladies at the lobby bar took a couple of days to warm up to us, but turned out to be the most helpful of all by the end of our stay. I always looked forward to my cafe con leche at the lobby bar in the mornings!

One thing that drove us crazy was that there is only one key available for each room. If you are not staying with a spouse, this can get to be problematic if you and your room-mate are going your separate ways during the day. But the front desk staff will hold your room key for you in this case so that whoever gets back to the hotel first can get back into the room.

One word of warning to you - do not drink the water from the lobby bar; it is unfiltered and I can almost guarantee you WILL get sick if you drink it!

Unique Quality: The beach is across the street from the hotel, and it is extremely clean, I couldn't believe how clean! It is very easy to cross the street to get to the beach, and the restaurant on the beach has fabulous food! (15% discount to Sunbeach customers) The guys working the bar at the beach were very helpful to us as well and I have to thank them once more for their great service to us.

There is a cadeca at the hotel but it is open rather sporadic hours - you may have to come back a few times before you are able to exchange your cash!

There is a market right across the street from the hotel, it is one of the larger ones. You will be able to do most of your souvenir shopping right there.

Directions: Right downtown, in the heart of Varadero.

Nearby Hotetur Sunbeach Hotel

• Wheelchair Accessible
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Kids Activities

Varadero Travel Forum

Need advice about Varadero, Cuba? Visit the Travel Forum for Varadero and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Varadero hotel reviews