Las Morlas, Km. 12.5, Matanzas, Varadero, Caribbean

• Filthy Resort - Stay Away

If you are considering going to the Tainos, don't. If you have any option to upgrade to a better resort, do it. We read the reviews and, having been to 2 other Iberostars, booked the Tainos. This resort is a disgrace to the Iberostar name.
    We arrived on Jan. 25th at around 11:30. Our bags were stored as our room wouldn't be ready until 1:30. No security here at all on the beach and non visible on the grounds.
    Our room was in section 22, second floor. The room was filthy. The curtains were ripped, dirty and hanging off the rods. The patio door didn't close but there was a chain lock. The windows were dirty as were all the mirrors in the room. The bedspread was dirty with plenty of DNA and had blood stains on it as well as the "towel art" on the bed. The inside of the shower was rusted and dirty. Even the bath mat and the towels that were in the bathroom had dirt and blood stains on them. The toilet was dirty and stained inside. The floor still had remnants of what appeared to be someone else's urine on the floor. The bathroom window was secured by one screw and trimmed with black mold. The floors were dull with build up and the walls were streaked with dirt as was the air conditioning control unit. There was a vase of dead flowers on the desk and the drawers had about a 1/4 inch of dust in them. Our Tablet disappeared out of the safe and we were only there for 24 hours. The safe at the Tainos works via a card, similar to the door key, that works for the safe and the door. Not very secure.
    We went to the gym to check it out. A danger in itself. Everything was very old, dusty and appeared unsafe. The treadmill was ripped about 6 inches at the seam. All the ponds at the front and back of the main building were empty of water, dirty and chipped. We asked our Sunwing rep if we could be transferred over the the Iberostar Laguna Azul where we stayed 2 years ago. He made some calls and we packed and grabbed a cab to the Iberostar Laguna Azul - FANTASTIC RESORT!.
    Very disturbing experience overall to say the least.

Unique Quality: Location was good. Shrubbery was well kept out front.

• one of the best i have stayed in

on arrival we where greeted with complimentary drinks and our checkin was fast our porter brought our luggage to the room pronto, the room was in the main hotel not one of the bungalows the room was very spacious and so was the bathroom yes a bit aged but spotless clean the food was excellent and i should know as i am one of the fusseist eaters around plenty of choice from salads to fruit and hot grill selection plenty to drink with breakfast lunch and dinner staff were pleasant and helpful. first impression from balcony of complex was very good large pool area with plenty of loungers not reserved lovely gardens and nice avary plenty of outside toilets spotless and showers for washing of sand and chorline from pull one fantasic beach and lots of cabanas with loungers sea aqua blue waters really warm no stones all sand from beach to seabed drinks at bar very good bar staff very nice so where the reception staff all very helpful . only down side no air conditioning in main bar area got very warm at night entertainment not great in show room but musicans in bar at night where very good me and my wife stayed here for two weeks sheer haven we are going back but to the sister hotel as this one was booked out also never suffered from mozzies at all not like some of the guest in other hotels in varadero stayed in sept 2009 this is not a holiday of excitment its a tropical paradise just for relaxing and chilling out a few flea markets a lovely park and a few shops in varadero but overall most enjoying

Unique Quality: the pool was beautiful and the services we received from the staff was excellent the fittness gym was quite good but the massages were to die for the veiw from our veranda was fantastic our maid done everything we requested and more beautifully kept gardens and spotless clean every where

Directions: right on the beach as are most of the hotels just beside the dolphins and catamrans

• Iberostar Tainos Varadero

My sisters and I were at the Tainos last June, and have just booked again for this June! It is a fantastic hotel, small, but so lovely. The beach is phenomenal!! The staff are so nice, the food is typical buffet, you either like it or not. The Cuban restaurant is great, the hamburgers by the beach were good, and the mojitos were amazing!!! They just did some refurbishment last year, and have built a Japanese restaurant, and I think touched up the paint, new bedding, etc.
    You'll have a great time, I'm sure!!

Unique Quality: The beach is fantastic!Always a chair for everyone!

More about Iberostar Tainos

Good location in Varadero

by J9Away about Iberostar Tainos

Hello!
You pretty much have to go all inclusive in Cuba, as outside of a Havana (and a few in Varadero) they don't have local restaurants.
I have been to Cuba 7 times at all different resorts and would recommend Iberostar Tainos if you are looking for a nice atmosphere on a good stretch of beach with a little bit of nightlife onsite and nearby. The food is good there too. It isnt adults only, but doesn't attract too many kids.

Have a great trip!
J9away Great beach, good food, nice location, well priced

Thanks for a great time

by TripAdvisor Member Wendall45

We booked at Iberostar Tainos because of this site. We were not disappointed, the service was good and some of the staff were great. It was the best beach we'd ever been at (4 previous trips to Mexico) and the ocean was sandy & shallow for quite a ways. We'd stay here again.

Do not hesitate to come here!

by TripAdvisor Member Bobbert63

" I WISH WE WOULD HAVE STAYED THERE " We heard that 5 times from other couples staying in Veradero about Iberostar Tainos. The hotel was great, the property was great, the beach was great, but most of all, the people working there were amazing. They became our best friends and did not hesitate to do anything we needed. A former reviewer gave this hotel a very poor review. On his behalf, he may be right. This is not a 5-star spa/hotel that pampers you while you sit quietly reading a book...the food is not of North American quality all the time ( the mashed potatoes are pretty bad ) but we always had a full plate or two of some great food. In order for the hotel staff to be rude, you would really have to try to be rude yourself. cubans are mirrors...what you give, you receive ( signature rep. Jose told me that one ). My wife, son and i have only travelled once before to the Dominican Republic. It was a beautiful resort (4.5*), but if we have a chance to travel again, i would not hesitate to go back to the Iberostar Tainos first. My family is quite easy to please, all we ask for is a clean room, good food, friendly service and a qaulity property. We were very impressed.

Great Trip at a Great Price

by TripAdvisor Member OilersRule

Iberostar Tainos is a very nice resort at an exceptionally good value.
The food was all that kept it from getting 5 stars. The staff was extraordinarily friendly and accommodating, particularly the animacione staff (Alex in particular) and the Kid's Club staff (Ari in particular). The beach is beautiful. We were very happy with our room in building 28; closest to pool and beach. We had four single beds, which was a bit funky. However, we were travelling with kids (5 and 7), and having separate beds for the children was actually quite a bonus.
The room was very clean and functional, although there were no drawers for clothes (big deal). This is an excellent resort for families travelling with children. The Kid's Club is in plain view of the pool and pool bar, and it is very easy to keep an eye on your kids pretty much no matter where you are. The layout of the resort is far and away the best of any of the resorts we have stayed at, including Gala, Caribbean Village and Viva Azteca (all in PDC, Mexico). The jungle buffer between the beach and the hotel area is a brilliant idea that seems to have been applied all along the Varadero strip. All resorts should be developed this way. I read the review of the fellow who unfavourably compared Cuba to PDC at TripAdvisor.com. We have had a wonderful time on all three trips to PDC. Having said that, my whole family liked Iberostar Tainos better than any resort we stayed at in PDC. Add on the fact that we paid about $2,000 less than what we had paid the year before to go to Viva Azteca (when the Canadian dollar was at its all time low), the value at Iberostar Tainos was truly phenomenal. Even with the Canadian dollar up, a comparable resort in PDC would have cost at least $1,000 more for our family. Getting back to the food, it would not be fair to say it was bad. There was a reasonable variety of food to choose from, but it was all rather nondescript. With the meat, seafood and produce that they appear to have at their disposal, they could do considerably better with a bit more attention to detail. I have heard the same story about the food from everyone I have spoken to who has travelled to a Cuban all inclusive. One particularly appropriate description of the food was that it was like Army chow: you line up, sit down, get filled up and off you go. The table service at the buffet left a fair bit to be desired. It was very much cafeteria style service. We bused our own table as a general rule, which was hardly a big deal. However, I did not expect to have to do that at a four star resort. For those with nut allergies, be careful, particularly of the desserts. Our daughter had a nut reaction, which required an Epi-Pen shot and a rather frantic trip to the clinic in Varadero. The staff, to their credit, were very helpful and sympathetic, and did as much as we could have hoped them to do once they knew she was having a reaction. They have agreed that they are going to do something to warn guests of the presence of nuts in food (it was either the chocolate ice cream or chocolate mousse). Our daughter's particular nut allergy is quite rare, and I cannot fault the resort for the problem. As a side note, the medical treatment in Varedero was surprisingly good, and we are extremely grateful for the fast and appropriate medical treatment that my daughter got. To summarise, I hope that I have not lingered too long on the negative aspects of our trip. With a couple of exceptions, everything, from the beach to the bars to the pools to the rooms, was wonderful. Iberostar Tainos is a very good to excellent 4 star resort. If food is a big deal, stay away from Cuba. If it is not, and you are looking for a relaxing and fun family vacation in a beautiful place, and at a reasonable price, you would be extremely lucky to do better than Iberostar Tainos. One final note, you will need US$25 in cash per person to get out of Cuba for the departure tax. I was aware of the departure tax, but I did not know it needed to be paid in cash until we arrived in Cuba (hence we had to get cash on our credit card at the Plaza Americas).

A very poor experience

by TripAdvisor Member TravelSkeptic43

I just returned from Iberostar Tainos after a very, very bad vacation. It makes me think that others who ve rated it have never been to a good resort in a good destination. As destinations go, if Cancun gets 5/5, Varadero gets a 2! The town is a slum, the resorts all look like they need a coat of paint, buses, taxis and tours are very expensive, and what you see when you get there isn t worth it. From talking to vacationers at other resorts, I think Iberostar Tainos actually does rate well when compared to other Cuban resorts, I just don t think that Cuba rates well when compared to other destinations. My wife and I won t be returning to Cuba any time soon. As for the resort, the room was beautiful, if you could ignore the noxious smell and the dresser that was the size of a nightstand (we lived out of our suitcases). The room was air conditioned but not heated so while the weather was cold and rainy (which was most of the week) we froze, waiting four days to get a blanket. The beach was beautiful, but the tide so rough that the red flag was posted on every visit I made (others told me that it was yellow on a couple of days). The pool was beautiful but the water so cold that only children dared swim. Poolside drink service was all but nonexistent. There was no hot tub or whirlpool as advertised (that I could find), but there was a kiddy wading pool that went mostly unused. The front desk staff was terrible. They would smile and nod then do nothing, or say we don t do that or come back tomorrow in a very rude tone. The elevators in the lobby and at our side of the complex only worked 50% of the time, and the outside staircases were deadly when it rained. Our only paid extra would have been a massage, if the masseuse had shown up for the appointment. The buffet generally poor. Fruit and vegetables were often too unripe to eat. The instant mashed potatoes smelled like they had been made with swamp water and tasted even worse. The dishes were seldom labeled, and on several occasions I was completely baffled was to what they actually were. Thankfully, the desserts and pastries were good, and the ice cream spectacular we lived on them! The ala carte restaurants were great. Be forewarned that there's no comparison between a 4.5 star resort in Cuba and one in Mexico or other parts of the Caribbean.

Great Place and Wonderful People

by TripAdvisor Member Grums

We, 2 adults and 2 children 22 and 19, have just retuned from a wonderful 7 days at the Iberostar Tainos. I searched and reviewed all the hotels wish to thank everyone who helped with their comments.The Iberaostar was great. Do try to stay in the bungalows. They are very clean and the views our units had were of the trees by the beach and the pool area. The beach truly is lovely. Wide, soft sand, and you can go out quite a way. No debris and they have garbage cans. The bar is just drinks but the snack bar is not too far away.We began our day with the buffet breakfast , remembering that this is Cuba. They staff try very hard to please many nationalities with the preferences and do a good job. Lunch, we thought, was best had at the buffet at the snack bar then take your plates to the veranda of the Cuban Restaurant building. For dinner do try both specialty restaurants but we found the Cuban the best. Book as soon as you get there as we could only go to the Brazilain once and the Cuban twice as the limit the number of people their.The Signature Vacation rep, Jose, is very good, but if you get stuck all the others hanging around will help. The front desk people are wonderful as are all the staff. They love their jobs and enjoy helping out.HINTS: Golf is very good but 70.US greenfees, 30.US for rentals and 30.US for cart rental. Taxi is 5.US either way. Be sure to get a coupon for golf from the front desk. With it greenfees are only 44.US. We never heard about this till we got to the course and had to go back for it but since it was Sunday and the office closed had to go back and pay the 70. anyway. Had the coupons the next times!We loved the Swim with the Dolphins tour. You actually do in the mangrove with them, althought the water is rather ucky, but what a memorable time.We are rather adventurous and instead of the Havana all day tour try the transfer tour. 30.US per person. It's the same bus and tour group but they drop you in Old Havana and you meet up with them 6 hours later. With a good tour book and being open to explore, we found sides of Havana that regular tourists may never see. It is worth the trip. She was once a beautiful lady of a city but the side streets tell the story of urban decay.If you enjoy horseback riding there are a group of Cubans that you can find on the beach that will take you on a run along the beach for 15.US per hour. Hang on!For a side trip take the taxi to Varadaro. Great market, no pressure selling and some rather nice restaurants of the main road.The Iberostar is everything we expected and more. We all would like to go back soon.

Varadero, Cuba

by jennos

"Most amazing vacation yet"

My one week stay at Iberostar Tainos in Varadero was my best vacation yet. The beach is something you would only dream about. The food, the people and the tours were amazing.

Varadero, Cuba

by edmonken

"Iberostar Tainos beach, Varadero, Cuba"

Beautiful beach. Fine and clean white sand. The water was clear and warm during our stay over Christmas.

"Tainos Pool"

The water was a little chilly first thing in the morning but as soon as the sun had a chance to warm it up it got much better. Well maintained and clean.

"Friendly Bar staff"

We have just returned from a 14-day trip at the Iberostar Tainos and it was great. It was our first trip to Cuba and also our first stay at an Iberostar property and we loved it. I emailed ahead to request a bungalow room as we were advised on this web site and it worked like a charm. We had a great room on the second floor overlooking the pool and a short walk to the beach. The room was quite adequate for what you need a room for at an all-inclusive as you spend most of your time at the beach or pool. It had a small bar fridge in it for keeping your agua and cervasa's cold. Our maid did a marvellous job of not only keeping the room clean but also surprising us every day with some new towel / blanket creation.
The beach had beautiful fine white sand and the water was actually quite warm and a very clear blue. There are enough water toys (paddleboats, kayaks and hobie cats around that you never really had to wait if you wanted to play. Having the beach bar within a nine iron of any of the beach loungers was definitely a plus as well.
The pool was a little cool for our first couple of days but after the sun got at it for a few days it warmed up nicely and was quite comfortable. But the best part about the pool area is by far the staff. The Star Friends (entertainment staff) always try to make you feel welcome to participate but never pressure you into any of the many activities going on.
The best part about the pool area for us is Frank the waiter who takes care of you with his very easygoing nature. “Would you like another drink or would you like me to disappear?” If you’re going to the Tainos please say “hi” to Frank from Ken from Edmonton. Also, Frank likes to wear the baseball hats so feel free to add to his collection. I know he proudly wore the CFRN hat I gave him everyday that we were there.
The Star Friends are definitely a big plus at this resort. They’re there at 9:00 in the morning getting the daily activities up and running and then put on shows every evening that keep them there until 11:00 at night. The shows for the most part are quite entertaining. Some of course are better than others but I guess that’s what you get when you put on daily shows with hotel staff that are doing a multitude of different jobs on any given day.
I know food is always a point for discussion whenever you talk about Cuba all-inclusives. What I will say about the food at the Tainos is there was always food available and I could always find something to eat that I enjoyed. If you go to Cuba expecting fine dining and Haute Cuisine then you will be disappointed. If you go with expectations of plentiful reasonably good fare served by friendly staff then you should enjoy yourself at the Tainos.
All in all my family and I enjoyed ourselves very much and I look forward to our next vacation in Cuba.

Iberostar Tainos beachIberostar Tainos beach

by gemmab1984

Hi! Me and my fiance have just booked to go to Iberostar Tainos in June (2008)-has anyone else been there at all?
Gem

Re: Iberostar Tainos

by Marcie9477

My sisters and I were at the Tainos last June, and have just booked again for this June! It is a fantastic hotel, small, but so lovely. The beach is phenomenal!! The staff are so nice, the food is typical buffet, you either like it or not. The Cuban restaurant is great, the hamburgers by the beach were good, and the mojitos were amazing!!! The just did some refurbishment last year, and have built a Japanese restaurant, and I think touched up the paint, new bedding, etc.
You'll have a great time, I'm sure!!

Comments