Crta. de las Morlas, Matanzas, Cuba, Caribbean

• Hotel MeliĆ” Varadero - Cuba

Was awesome, the people were great, room was great (very nice view of ocean).
    Beach was clean and very nice.
    No complaints at all, other than the food at the buffet, which was some what blan, the food at the restaurants was very good.
    Did the catamaran day trip, highly recommended, was lots of fun!!
    Defiantly will be going back

Unique Quality: Clean and frendly!!

• florry's Profile Photo

All-inclusive

The rooms where clean, but i dont think in 2 weeks the floor was washed ones, same on the balcony, no cleaning done there. The food was very good , loads of different things to eat.The drinks as allways in an all-inclusive where watered down a lot and very sweet.I thought there would be a bigger beach there, but i had to walk past some rocks to get into the water.The pool was clean.All in all i would recommend this Hotel.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

BEACH & SWIMMING POOL AT MELIA LAS ANTILLES

Melia Las Antilles has a wonderful, huge swimming pool and a fabulous beach area. Activities like aerobics and tai chi are offered as well as water polo and volleyball.
    At the Beach, there are also activities such as beach volleyball. Beach chairs and shade areas can be reserved by simply leaving your towel on the chair early in the morning. We usually went after breakfast and picked our "spot".
    In my opinion, Melia Las Antilles had one of the best beaches in the area. Hans and I went for many walks along the beach, so were able to compare with other resorts.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

WONDERFUL RESORT

After deciding we wanted to stay in Varadero, now we had to research to see what Resort we wanted to stay at. After reading many reviews, we decided upon MELIA LAS ANTILLES and were very happy with our choice.
    Located on Los Tainos Beach in the Varadero Hoteles District, the Resort, (formerly Beaches Varadero) was built in 1999, has 350 rooms, 4 Restaurants - one buffet & 3 a la carte, 6 Bars, Snack Bar, Disco, 2 Tennis Courts, huge swimming pool (piscina) wonderful beach and beautiful grounds and gardens.
    Our Junior Suite had two twin beds, satellite TV, in-room safe (no charge), mini-fridge stocked with water, softdrinks and beer, sitting area with desk, bathroom with tub, shower & hair dryer and balcony / terrace.
    We were in Modulos 66 (6601-6628) "Villa Colonia" Room 6605

Unique Quality: 24-hour All Inclusive
    3 Buffet Meals daily plus 24 hour snacks
    3 a la carte dinners weekly - reservations required.
    unlimited house wine, domestic beer, selected drinks
    daily activities
    nightly entertainment

Directions: Los Tainos Beach - Varadero Hoteles District

• SuzanneToronto's Profile Photo

Great Location on the Beach

The hotel grew on us as the week went by. Our first impression was good, the lobby was really nice, the hallway leading to our room was very nice. But then our room, didn't impress us much. One of our lamps wasn't working, which made the room pretty dark. Our view was blocked by a gigantic palm tree that didn't allow us to see much, but we could see a tiny portion of the ocean. It was as though they planted the tree there purposely to take away any oceanview whatsoever. But the nice thing was we could hear the ocean from our room. But as days went by, our room grew on us, and became cozier and more comfortable, in the end I think we liked it.

The restaurants were ok, there's a great selection at lunch time. The best restaurant was the outdoor paella area. The paella was delicious, and the sangria was amazing! The outdoor Cuban restaurant has a very nice atmosphere with live music playing. It was really enjoyable too. Out on the beach if you're too lazy to walk all the way back to eat at the hotel or don't want to get out of the sun and continue working on your tan, there's a bar/restaurant on the beach where you can get drinks (of course) and burgers, hot dogs and fries. There are three a la carte restaurants for dinner that you can choose from and you have to make reservations and can only dine there once. There was Chinese, a steak house, and International. The atmosphere in the International restaurant was spectacular. Very upscale, they had live music on a grand piano, flute and violin. It was nice.

The nightlife at the resort is subpar. To really have a great time, you must venture outside to one of the local clubs just a couple kms away. The resort has shows every other night, but they're ok in my opinion, not really my thing. Most people end up hanging out at the piano bar, which is out in the lobby area of the hotel. The karaoke bar is not really happening either.

All in all, the stay at this resort was really enjoyable!!

Unique Quality: The best part about this hotel was the 24 hr snack cafeteria. You can walk in at any time of the day or night and order off their menu which was pretty comprehensive. I didn't expect as much choice as it had on there. You can choose different sandwiches, spaghetti, lasagna, pizza and hamburgers. The bar is more or less 24hrs. I think the latest we grabbed a drink there was 4am.

It is also located next door to the Plaza Las Americas, which is a plaza containing souvenir shops, but the best part about it was the concert they have there every 2nd wednesday. We saw a world famous Cuban group perform there named Bueno Vista Social Club (excuse my spelling if it's incorrect). My friend knew all about them, but it was the first time I'd heard of them. But it was a treat to be able to see them live. The concert isn't advertised anywhere, we found out through word of mouth, and the turn out was pretty packed. They sent bus loads of tourists from different hotels to see the concert, but for us, we just walked around the corner. There were local Cubans and toursists at this concert.

More about Melia Varadero

Melia Varadero - very nice resort

My husband and I went to this resort back in April 2003. We had a very pleasant time. The hotel was clean and the staff were nice. The white sandy beach and views were spectacular and the water was warm. The beach bar & grill had better food i.e. the lemon chicken. There were several restaurants on site but we were not too impressed with the food. Cuban food is generally bland so be prepared... Other than that, everything else was a plus. There is an outdoor grill where they cook paella (mixture of rice and seafood)...it was good. We noted a lot of families at this resort mostly from Europe and Canada. In the evening, people generally dressed somewhat formally and sat around the piano bar and mingled. There is a nightly show that runs at approximately 10 pm.
We usually stayed at the resort because we were tired from some of the day excursions. If you have a chance, definitely go to Havana for a day trip...the architecture of the city is beautiful. As well, if you try the mohitos, make sure you go to the indoor bar near the piano bar.
Orphillio the bartender (usually starts working in the afternoon), he serves the best mohitos with crushed ice.

all friendly

was there feb 21-28/04 melia varadero, beautiful clean resort, friendly staff, and a polite room maid, the nightly entertainment is great, so is the buffet,

Definitely not a 4+ in my mind

by TripAdvisor Member Gilles

We just came back from Melia Varadero, Cuba. There was 6 of us and we were there from Feb 7th to 21, 2004. My comparision is based on my 3 previous trips. I am comparing it to the RIU Palace Punta Cana, RIU Merengue Puerto Plata and RIU Palace Playa Del Carmen(Mexico) all of them all inclusive.

I really think that this hotel is over rated. Yes, it is a lot less expensive than any of our 3 previous trips.

The beach is Ok, but far from being the best I have seen. I checked other beaches in Varadero and I still can't see what the big fuss is all about.

Yes the staff was friendly enough and they try to speak to you in your language, I give them credit for that.

They really ration the mini bar in your rooms. I do not consider it to be a mini bar, 2 beers and 3 pops. Most of the days we had to call them because they had forgotten to replenish it.

The rooms were not the best but acceptable.

The bars keeps running out of your favorite drink. They are very limited with the variety of tropical drinks also.

Night activity and shows were fine.

Here is my biggest complaint. FOOD. Awful, everything is cold. They just don't have a proper system to keep it warm. Also a very limited selection, lots and lots of fish and pork.

Here is my star rating of all the places I have been. I am comparing all of the above comments.

RIU Palace Punta Cana 5+ RIU Palace Playa Del Carmen 5+ RIU Merengue Puerto Plata 4 Melia Varadero 2

I don't recommend Melia Varadero, however it is much cheaper, so you be the judge. I know next year where I am going.

One week wasn't enough!

My husband and I spent 1 week,Feb 8-15,2004 at the Melia Varadero. We are planning a 2 week holiday for next year. The rooms were large, very clean and the balcony view of the ocean was wonderful. We were on the 5th floor. Food was excellent. The Chinese Restaurant was amazing. The staff at the front desk were very helpful. The pool bar tenders were very attentive and we never lacked a drink in our hands!!! The beach was clean, except for the area of coral at the steps to the beach.
There were always chairs and alot of activity. The piano bar and sitting area were very relaxing, as well there was alot of room on the terraces. We had a wonderful time. We have recommended this resort to many friends.

Great Holiday

We spent 2 weeks at Melia Varadero,Jan.26th 2004.Hotel was very nice,grounds well kept and lots to do.Daytime there was beach volleyball,water exercise,dance lessons,archery,tennis,yoga,and outdoor games,chess,french ball,and many others you did on your own.Water activities,pedal boats,snorkeling,wind surfing,sailing,kayaking.Also bike riding. We took 2 tours, one to Trinadad,which is a lot of driving,but get to see some of the interior of Cuba.and trip into Havana,which is worth doing once at least.Tour guides werent as informative as I would have liked.Hotel buffet was huge,but food not hot,some hardly warm,enough for me.As this is a large hotel we never got to meet our maid,staff was always busy,so only got to talk to our waiters in buffet abit.Great beach,weather was good,around 29 degrees, pool and grounds well kept.If you never left the resort you would not know if you were in Cancun,Hawiia,or Cuba.All in all a very relaxing holiday.

Melia Varadero or Barcelo Solymar

by dadof2

I am traveling with the In-Laws (early 50"s) and my wife and 2 kids (3 and 8 months).

Which place is better?

We need a playground, possible casino and the closer one to the golf course.

Does not need to be busy or party type. Nice and quiet, with some fun!

by AnjaV

Check this out and compare:

Personally I like the looks of Melia Varadero most ...

Have fun
Anja

by juli40

I JUST CAME BACK FROM VARADERO AND WE WENT WITH MY PARENT TO THE HOTEL ARENAS DORADAS. NO# 1 ITS A 4 STARS AND THEY HAVE A PLAY GROUND FOR THE KIDS AND IN THE AFTERNOON THE PEOPLE WORKING THERE COME AND GET THE KIDS TO PLAY WITH THEM ITS REALLY FUN FOR THEM AND THE WORKERS THERE ARE GREAT. YOU HAVE AN 24|24 BAR OPEN WHICH ITS FREE AND YOU HAVE A BUS FREE HE PASSES TO THE HOTEL EVERY HOURS AND THEY BRING YOU WHERE YOU WANT TO GO THE GOLF COURSE IS ABOUT 3 MINUTES WITH THE BUS YOU HAVE ALOT OF ACTIVITIES NEAR YOU LIKE THE DOLHINS SHOW 2 MINUTES FROM YOU THE SEA DOO RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOTEL ACROSS THE STREET, ETC. I REALLY LIKED IT THERE EVERYBODY IS REALLY NICE AND ITS REALLY CLEAN. THE CASINO I DIDN'T SEE ONE BUT IF YOU ASK THEM I'M SURE THEY HAVE ONE NEAR IT. GO SEE ON THE ARENAS DORADAS ON THE INTERNET YOU'LL BE ABLE TO READ ALOT ABOUT IT AND IT WILL GIVE YOU IDAEA AND IF YOU WANT MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE OTHER HOTELS GO TO WWW.VARADERO.COM HAVE FUN !

by karenseear

Have never been to the Melia as we normally stay at the Bella Costa but one year when the Bella Costa was closed for renovations we stayed at the Solymar. Have to say I didn't like the Solymar at all and the food was awful so I would recommend the Melia given the choice of just those two

Comments