Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa

Disabilities Spa and Resort Luxury Travel
See Amenities
SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Mosquito H(e)aven

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 18, 2008

Paradisus Varadero found itself overbooked and shunted us to stay in this, their sister hotel. We had already arrived at PV and seen its glorious reception and public facilities, so as soon as I arrived at the silent lobby of the P del M I knew I was going to be disappointed.

Although the hotel is now advertised as a Paradisus "adult over 18 only" hotel, it was sold as a couples only hotel up to December 2007.

The hotel is in two sections - the standard hotel and the Royal wing. Each has its own checkin and reception building, pool, restaurants etc. P del M claims to be five star, but as the Royal is five star and allegedly superior then how can P del M convince us of its five star rating?

So miserable was I here that I tried to upgrade to the Royal Wing. It proved impossible. They refused to put a second bed in the room.

Perhaps my misery could be attributed to the fact that I couldn't get a reservation at the spa for three days, or the fact that we were served mouldy bread for breakfast; perhaps because the drinks were watered down so much that all you could taste was ice, or the food poisoning that glued me to my bed for two nights; maybe it was the romantic approach to New Year's Eve that caused Mum and I to drag our heels back to our room at 10pm, or the fact that the pool was too shallow to swim in.

Shall I go on? I could fill the pages here with negatives about this hotel. Withered flowers in the public areas, stained tablecloths, unironed sheets and table cloths, chipped glasses, grease that dripped from the ceiling as I stood waiting for my omelette at breakfast, running out of orange juice and soft drinks, no sausage for breakfast after New Year's Eve (any day), the mosquitos that infested the place and had me covered with throbbing bites.

Be aware that you need to book well in advance for the speciality restaurants. The food in the French restaurant is good, in the Italian restaurant is mediocre, and in the buffet is recycled leftovers.

Unique Quality: The resort is nicely laid out. Ask for a room in block 6 overlooking the Royal wing, as these have by far the best view. Shun the rooms in Block 1 overlooking the car park of the hotel next door.

The beach is stunning with crystal clear pond like water.

Staff are wonderful - here, the further you go down the skill ladder the friendlier the staff. Our maid was the best maid I have ever had. Thanks Marilin!

Be wary that the pretty grounds are traversed by cobbled paths and so unsuitable for disabled people like Mum.

Nearby Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa

Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa

• Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Varadero
  • Paradisus Princesa Varadero
  • Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort And Spa
  • Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Hotel Varadero

Address: Auropista Sur, Ctra. Las Morlas, KM 19 1/2, (formerly Sandals), Varadero, Caribbean

3 Photos of Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa

• Fitness Center
  • Free Parking
  • Business Services

Varadero Travel Forum

Need advice about Varadero, Cuba? Visit the Travel Forum for Varadero and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Varadero hotel reviews