Sandals Royal Hicacos

Tags

Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Spa and Resort Beaches
See Amenities

WORST HOTEL IN VARADERO

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 19, 2011

SANDALS Varadero NOT More than a 3 STAR !!”

Think 2 Twice as we were just there Recently and Only after 12 hrs changed Hotel, This Sandals is far From Being a 5 Star Hotel at Most a 3 Star and than Some.

Don't Get Fouled with the Name Sandals!!!!

Here are Only a Few Reasons for our Deception,

1- Bed Room bed Sheets full of Stains, and Yes Lift your Bed Sheets to See what’s Underneath, you will be sick when you see what’s underneath!!

2- Take a look at the Washroom, Toilet Seat ( Stains )

3- Shower full of Moulds and window as Dirty as Can be.

4- AC very Poor, it’s as if there is NO AC!!

5- The Buffet Rest very ordinary, very few choices...

6- THE MOSQUITOS there EVERY where and if what to Smell like Insect repelant all week weal it’s the Perfect Place To Go.

7- The Smell ALL those little Rivers around the Resort, with the yellow water and Stagnant Smell.

8- The Service They Just don't Care, about your Complaints.

And Yes I Can go ON and ON,

So for all of those thinking of Going To Sandals Think Twice and Don't make the Mistake we Made!!! Thinking this is Sandals and a 5 Star.

Unique Quality: NONE

madmary71's Profile Photo

Very friendly staff & service

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 18, 2007

It was a very pleasant stay, my husband and I were there last 2004 for a 2nd honeymoon. I will start off describing the main entrance, it's big and has a weird Cuban decor that depicts the famous "revolution".(We later heard from other tourists that other hotels that they stay have the same decor on the main entrance.) Anyway, I am very impressed with the food. It was not bad as other reviews tend to say about Cuban hotels. I bet it's because we were at Sandals that the food is very good. There are 5 restaurants to choose from within the resort and included in our vacation package. My favorite is EL VIEJO Y EL MAR (The old man and the sea). They served the fresh catch of the day, and it is located on the beach. The other 3 I believe you need to make a reservation. Our room is big and the bathroom is even bigger! By the way the actual rooms is not a beachfront, so please do not think you get to see the beach from your terrace. There's a swimming pool, but I noticed it is always packed with sunbathers. Better off to go to the beach! The Hicacos restaurant is a huge buffet place that is open almost 24 hrs. We get our breakfast and lunches at this place almost everyday. Drinks are impecabbly done correctly and not done through an "instant machine". I get my mojitos exactly as I wanted it, and authentically Cuban! Do not buy cigars from the resort is kinda doubled in its retail price. You might as well buy directly from an authorized dealer in Havana. We paid a total of $500 canadian for something that is worth morethan 2 grand in retail value here in Canada.

Unique Quality: The staff service is amazing. One might doubt the quality of service you might receive in Cuba, but the local staff is very freindly, helpful and they are at our hand and foot service! Some do not even expect tips. I once asked for a bottled water from the chambermaid and she gave me 2. A waitress from the buffet packed me a sandwich upon learning we're going on an excursion to Havana. That's amazing! My husband set aside $100 US tip just to divide it among our favorite staff who made a difference during our stay. By the way, management only pays them $15.00 flat rate for all Cubans working in hotels. Therefore, the tips is what makes them able to buy "blackmarket food". The racion they received per month is a bag of rice, and 3 eggs -this is according to one busboy who told us.

Directions: The 4th or 3rd to the tip of the Varadero peninsula.

Sandals Cuban Style

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 28, 2005

My wife and I and our travelling companions, another couple, were offered an "upgrade" to this hotel because the hotel we were staying in, Beaches, had become overbooked. We did jump at the chance to try the Royal Hicacos, as it was my wifes' birthday during our stay, and this appeared to be an unexpected bonus. I agree with the many people who critisise the process of booking reservations for A la Carte dining in this hotel, it is ridiculous to have to queue up for ages to be told that you can only book up to a week in advance and have to come back for the following week at a later time, that mysteriously no other method was available, i.e. internet booking site in advance of arrival, with maybe a booking confirmation cross referenced with your tour operators holiday reference number , to avoid spoof bookings. I found myself at Royal Hicacos looking forward to the only A la Carte, or non buffet meal for the first week by default, it was the returning guests dinner. When posing this ironic situation with the wonderful lady at the PR desk she promptly organised for our party to eat Al a Carte for the rest of our holiday, throwing in a private banquet for my wifes' birthday. The hotel is "nice", it is "clean", the staff are very "pleasant and obliging" but the "wow factor" is not there. If you are a Honeymooner who wants a "safe" all inclusive, then this is a "safe" bet. As mentioned, we had been "upgraded" from Beaches but we missed the craic with the Beaches staff that we had developed over the numerous holidays we have had there. We did however meet new friends at Sandals both guests and staff, but on the other hand, we would find it difficult to justify the significant additional costs between the two hotels. Sandals is by no means a bad hotel, it is a lovelly one in a very good spot on the beach, but Beaches appears to suit us better. You live and learn.

Unique Quality: Is not as ostentatious as one would think for Sandals.(Royal Bahamian). It is situated on a great beach, serves good food, pleasant and courteous staff who do take your holiday enjoyment seriously. Pool and loungers offer a good alternative from the beach if it is windy.
Very good range of water sports including water skiing, banana boat, snorkeling excursions to the reef, scuba, hobie cats, pedalo's and canoes. Beach bar and waiter service on the beach.

Directions: Beach area of Varadero

reeley's Profile Photo

fabulous caribean resort

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 18, 2004

Oh gosh, what an incredibly romantic resort. From the four poster bed in the suite to the 5 star service in the A La Carte, you will be pampered from morning to night.

The staff from the gardeners through the waiters and waitresses to the room boys and girls all greet you with a warm smile and great service. The food is very good quality, even in the standard buffet, but is really very good in the A La Cartes, our favourite was the grill on the beach, so romantic as the saxophonist plays whilst the sun sets over a gorgeous red caribbean sunset.

Unique Quality: Amazingly even though it was full, you wouldn't believe it. We always managed to get a bed by the pool, or on the beach. You must book the restaurants 2 days in advance unless you want to eat in the buffet.

The pool is great, especially the floating mats - amazing how nearly every woman pushed her man through the cold waterfall, usually pausing as the waters fell on the middle of his body......

Nearby Sandals Royal Hicacos

• Beverage Selection
  • Spa
  • Free Parking

Varadero Travel Forum

Need advice about Varadero, Cuba? Visit the Travel Forum for Varadero and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Varadero hotel reviews