Sol Sirenas Coral Resort

See Amenities

Dump in paradise

by written on March 1, 2014

In short:

Bad:
1. cockroaches in the buffet restaurant and hallways
2. run down rooms and facilities
2. food spoiled and under seasoned
3. tiny plastic cups for drinks
4. cocktails terrible
5. reservations for a la carte restaurants almost impossible

Good:
1. Beach

Beautiful beach, sand, and crystal clear water.
And that's the only positive thing I can say about this resort.

The hotel facilities are run down.The paint is pealing off in the pool, chairs are dirty, very little lightning at night, so you can easily trip at one of the many steps.
The room we had, was in horrible shape. Water dripping from the ceiling in several spots, shower not draining and dust on the headboard of the bed.

Food was the worst I have ever eaten in any resort in the past.
We came after 4pm , so we had to eat at the snack bar. There are few choices of mostly junk food here ( burger, hot dog, BLT sandwich…) and you have to order it from the staff (no hot tables). The hot dog was big and mushy( not good). The beer we ordered was served in a tiny plastic cup ( size of a finger), so if you are thirsty, you have to spend quite a lot of time walking back and forth between the bar and your table (must be worse, if you are at the beach).

The food in the buffet was mostly under seasoned, very little selection of meat or fish ( unless you want to wait in a long line for grilled fish or meats (which could be a long wait ). No chicken, though! ( and that's what everybody asked for). My boyfriend was eating mostly veggies , which were half of the time spoiled ( especially tomatoes and cabbage). The pastries tasted all the same ( usually there were 3 or 4 kinds ).
Butter was the "most desired and mostly missing item" at breakfast.

Everybody would argue " This is Cuba"! However this has nothing to do with the produce or food they have here, but with training of the kitchen staff, food preparation, and storing of the food ( so it doesn't get spoiled or dried). This is management issue!!!!!

And how to get reservation for the specialty restaurants? We have lined up on Tuesday morning and there was nothing available until Friday and that was for asian restaurant only ( nothing else available).

Highlight of the trip? Cockroach on the wall in the buffet and in the hallway in front of our room ( see pics).

Do I really want to spend my time off in a place like this ? ( with cockroaches , spoiled food and run down room ). Is this really a 4 star hotel?

Cuba is beautiful place, but this resort is not. It is sad, that somebody is getting money for this kind of service. Pure rip off.

Unique Quality: Nice beach

Cuba's most unsafe hotel!

by written on June 27, 2011

Warning to others!
My daughter and her friend spent a week at this hotel, and she came home with an infection due to the constant vomitting in the pool!!! Not to mention bed bugs! But the worst part was young people were partying and stealing fire extingushers so my daughter took the one outside of her room inside her room to try to save it. When the maids walked in, in the morning they saw the extingusher and called security and my daughter was continuously threatened with going to jail!!!!! She was so scared she couldn't talk and they made her pay $769.00 for it or go to jail! We will not get that money back and so much for a young person being honest while others destroyed the hotel and got away with it all! I'm disgusted with them and will continue to do what I can to prevent others from going to this "place".....do yourselves a favour, they take advantage of young people by threatening and scaring the crap out of them, DON'T GO TO THIS PLACE! There are better places in Cuba, and they'll be cleaner, safer than this place!

Unique Quality: There are none! Except to describe this place as a haven for young people to trash!

mediocre hotel at best.

by written on December 28, 2010

Okay, before going I read all of the reviews (good and bad) and decided that I would give the place a try. We (myself and my 7 year old daughter- full fair for her by the way) stayed for christmas 2010. After staying there, I can safely say that all of the reviews are right, both good and bad. At its finest, the place is just mediocre; and at its worst, it is terrible. The food was hit and miss; some items were good, but most were horrible. Cuba in general is not a place for foodies, their cuisine is pretty lackluster, but at this hotel the food was generally pretty bad and quite redundant. I have stayed all over Cuba and I am quite familiar with Cuban cuisine but if I was visiting for the first time and only ate at this hotel, I would have no idea what Cuban food was. The amenities aren't even worth discussing. The mini golf is unplayable. The supervised children's club is ghetto (my daughter wouldn't play there). The decor is terrible. The hotel layout is ridiculous. If your room is anywhere over the front lobby, which numerous rooms are, you are awaken every morning at four AM when the drunks return from the clubs.
Overall, I was pretty disappointed. I cannot recommend staying there. And why??? When there are other hotels that are so much nicer.
You worked hard all year and saved your money for a great vacation, why risk the disappointment of this very mediocre hotel. Do yourself a favor, spend the extra 100 bucks and stay anywhere else, because after all, you are not a mediocre person...

this place sucks

by written on February 19, 2010

This place is bad, lousy beds, gross food, many advertised activites not open ( pub, hot tub, restaurants, beach bar). noisy, not very friendly staff with a few exceptions. poor bar service even with tips.
run down hotel and pools.

The time of our life

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 20, 2006

Loved it! To keep it simple, stay at the Sol Sirenas for your room, but enjoy the wonderful features and restaurants of both. The theatre at the Coral section of the hotel was excellent, as well as the pool!

A small tip each day to your waitress or bartender is really appreciated and makes all the differences....these people have nothing, so a little goes a long way.

Feel free to email me if you have questions at davecan63@hotmail.com

We loved it!

Unique Quality: Both pools were great, but we especially loved the pool at the Coral. We hit the beach each morning, before it got too hot, and then the pool for the afternoon. The food was wonderful, and we ate and drank plenty!!

Don't miss the shows...a different one each night.

hojasdehierba's Profile Photo

All inclusive non-luxury nice accomodation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 12, 2005

First of all, if you are looking for luxury, don't book this resort. If you, like I was, are only looking for a nice place to stay 3-4 days enjoying the beach and the sun with average facilites and a not so high prize, this could be a good choice.
It's a resort with two parts (in fact there were formerly two hotels). We stayed at the Sirenas side, but we were allowed to use all the services at the Coral side too. Buffet seemed to be a little better at Coral side, for example. However, Sirenas swimming pool was better and less overcrowded than Coral's. There are other 4 restaurants, mediterranean, oriental, italian and creole, but you must book in advance in the morning at Club House. We tried only oriental, and we liked it. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if your are staying a long time (a week or more...). Perhaps for a long stay I would search for a more luxurious hotel. But for a few days and if you want to trip a bit (that was what we did), I found it nice enough, although not brilliant.

En primer lugar, si estas buscando lujo no reserves aqui. Si, como yo solo buscas un sitio
agradable para 3-4 dias disfrutando la playa y el sol con servicios normales a un precio medio, puede ser una buena eleccion.
Es un resort con dos lados (en realidad, eran dos hoteles antes) y puedes usar los servicios de los dos. El buffet parecia un poco mejor en el lado del Coral. Sin embargo, la piscina era mejor en el Sirenas y tenía menos gente. Hay otros cuatro restaurantes, mediterraneo, oriental, italiano y criollo, pero tienes que reservar por la mañana en el Club House. Solo probamos el oriental y nos gusto.
No recomendaria este hotel para una estancia larga (mas de una semana), en ese caso quizas buscaria un sitio mas chulo. Pero para unos dias y si quieres ademas hacer alguna excursion, como nosotros, nos parecio muy bien, aunque no brillante.

Unique Quality: The beach is one of the better points of this hotels: one of the better zones in Varadero. Furtermore, there is very little people, so it's really quite.
The staff was really lovely, even without tipping. There are very few Spanish-speaking clients at the hotel, so I guess we had some privileged treatment, but perhaps they were equally nice with everyone.

La playa es uno de los puntos fuertes de este hotel: una de las mejores zonas de Varadero. Ademas hay muy poquita gente, asi que es realmente tranquila.
El personal del hotel era encantador, incluso aunque no dieses propina. Habia muy pocos clientes de habla española, asi que supongo que teniamos algo de trato privilegiado, aunque quiza eran igual de majos con todo el mundo.

florry's Profile Photo

all inclusive resort

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 17, 2004

i stayed at sol sirenas-coral for 1 week. didnt like the room to much, but i didnt spend much time in it. the resort was very well looked after. the food is okay,you have a choice of a few restaurants where you have to book a day in advance. i nearly always ate in the habana cafe. they had day and nighttime entertaiment something for everybody. the beach was only a few steps away and very nice and clean. i traveled on my own and didnt meet any single people there. but it was okay for me.

Unique Quality: lots of day and nighttime activities around the resort and lots of watersports on the beach. but a very good place to relax too.

Nearby Sol Sirenas Coral Resort

• Fitness Center
  • Free Parking
  • Kids Activities

Varadero Travel Forum

Need advice about Varadero, Cuba? Visit the Travel Forum for Varadero and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Varadero hotel reviews