3 Rivers Eco Lodge

Jungle and Rain Forest Backpacking Eco-Tourism

3 Rivers Eco Lodge

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 16, 2012

I read with disinterest some of the earlier comments. I can only assume that the writers were people who expected something for nothing!
I have stayed at 3 Rivers Eco lodge on 3 ocaisions. I have found the owner of the site to be passionate about what he is doing. you only have to see the many awards on display to realise this. The accommodation is excellent, the food excellent and the welcome and service exceptional.

Unique Quality: It is not a city hotel so dont expect the same. It is an ECO Village in the middle of a rain forest that is full of natural beauty.
It all depends on what you are seeking. If its peace, beauty, tranquility in a natural environment, you will find nothing better on the planet.

3 Rivers Eco lodge only Eco business

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 20, 2008

Can you call a tool shed a lodge? Can you call a basic hut a lodge? Can a wobbly wood table under a plastic cover be called a restaurant? Can you call a man who hurt trees to build his so called "tree houses" a man who preserves environment? Everything which is preserved is the owner's bank account. Nothing works in this place ( no water in the "shower",only when it rains and when you don't feel like having one....) except the credit card terminal . Everything is fake at Three rivers eco lodge. This is not eco tourism but eco business.

Unique Quality: Friendly Dominican employees able to prepare great meals in very bad working conditions.

Stay away! This place is a fake!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 31, 2007

Imagine my surprise when I discovered the owner of this “eco-friendly” lodge turned out to be a chain-smoker who gouges his clients. The owner of Three Rivers, Jem Winston, preys on our collective guilt about destroying the planet for his own personal gain. I’m not impressed with his use of hydroelectric and solar power for the property. The reasons behind it, as he told me, were to save the tens of thousands of dollars it would have cost to bring in conventional electricity. He brags about all he does for the locals, but pays his employees a very poor wage. I asked around and it is about US$2 per hour for hard labor. The food is mostly not organic, but packaged and starchy and the garden is practically non-existent. I never saw the truck that supposedly runs on cooking oil being used, but I did see Mr. Winston driving his gas-guzzling SUV daily. The whole operation appears to be about marketing rather than any real good will towards the island or the planet. He’s omnipresent during your stay, including watching your every move through a camera above the property and moderating dinner table conversation. Further, he lies. He quoted one price for a service he provided me, and then insisted on charging me four times his quoted rate at the end. Be very wary of 3 Rivers Dominica. My feeling is the only living being sustained here is Jem Winston’s.

Unique Quality: The owner is always out to make a buck and is really not interested in his clientele or the community.

Directions: On the eastern side of Dominica.

2 Photos of 3 Rivers Eco Lodge

Rosalie Travel Forum

Need advice about Rosalie, Dominica? Visit the Travel Forum for Rosalie and ask our Answer Gurus.

Rosalie Travel Guide