Point Mulatre, PO Box 2352, Roseau, 0001, Caribbean
CheapCaribbean

Costs 175% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Jungle Bay Resort & Spa

luxurios eco resort

by hanspeter_W. about jungle bay resort

wonderful stay in a luxurious ersort out in the nature of rainforest with nice view and access to a rough beach..very friendly people ...nice food very flexibel in helping guests to complete their wishes

Jungle Bay is AWESOME!

by TripAdvisor Member layzgator

I cannot even express in words how awesome Jungle Bay is. It was absolutely the BEST time of my life. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon and got the honeymoon package. It was everything we dreamed of and more. Dominica is one of the most beautiful places we have ever visited. The mountains, the waterfalls, the diving and of course, the daily massages were a dream! The staff at Jungle Bay was incredible and very accomodating. We met some great friends at the resort, including some of the staff. I would highly recommend anyone to go to Dominica and stay at Jungle Bay, you will not regret it. Ask for Irvin!!

You Have to Come to Jungle Bay

by TripAdvisor Member morseurat

Jungle Bay, and Dominica, are unlike anywhere I have ever vacationed. I went as part of a family trip, made up of three couples, ranging from age 22 to age 49 and we all loved it.

If you already know you are going to Dominica, let me first tell you why you should stay at Jungle Bay. If you are considering other islands, read on further.

The Resort:
I loved that we each had our own private cabin. Each cabin is built right into the hillside using reclaimed wood. We had semi- outdoor showers which was so nice. They have private decks which were great to read on as you listen to the waves crashing from the ocean. Every morning I woke up at sunrise and could see the beautiful sky right from bed (and then I promptly fell back asleep until yoga time). The yoga rooms at the main building are peaceful with views to the outdoors. Glenda's voice has a beautiful vibration in the rooms (she is one of the owners and teaches the yoga). The restaurant is open air and surrounded by greenery. I am a picky eater and I loved the food. Fresh fruit and juice at breakfast and lunch, banana pancakes, omellettes, chicken roti!, pumpkin soup, fresh tuna and mahi mahi...mmmmm. And I believe nearly 95% of the food comes from the local area. It is obvious that Sam and Glenda care a lot about the environment, the community, and Dominica. There are hiking trails, like the Zom Zom trail, right on Jungle Bay property. The White River is a short walk away, or you can visit the rocky beach by the beach bar, where you can hear the rocks rolling underneath the waves, a sound I will never forget (and which can also be heard while you are getting your Aromatherapy massage in the spa!). I am sure I am forgetting more, but this is turning into a novel, and I haven' t mentioned the staff!

The People:
When we first arrived at the resort, Joanne told us all she would know our names by the morning, and I was skeptical. But she greeted us all by our first names at breakfast. And the entire staff is like this. Irvin gave a a presentation on all the local herbs and plants before dinner. Stephen and Justinian were there every night at dinner throwing back our new england sarcasm. We made fried cococut covered plantains before dinner another night and mentioned to Janet, the chef teaching us, that our fellow traveler Mark loved plantains. So she made sure he had some of the ones we made as a side when he came to dinner. Our main guide Moses never tired of answering our questions, and without prompting would get out of the car or climb a tree on a hike to pick us a piece of fruit to show us what it was. On the six hour boiling lake hike, he stops at a seemingly random tree, carves some bark off, carves some more tree off, cuts it into pieces, and gives it to us to chew on. I can't remember what it was, but it is supposed to give you energy, like an energy bar. We definitely needed it too. I loved having guides to drive us to the excursions. We learned so much about the island, and could relax while Moses and Brother navigated the steep curvy roads.

The Island:
The island itself is just gorgeous, covered in lush rainforests and rivers. It seems I have gone on too long just about Jungle Bay, so I'll have to be brief about the island and the excursions. The hikes were challenging, but so much more rewarding. You feel invigorated and revived and lucky to be someone who can see these sights. We were the only people on my favorite hikes, Victoria Falls and the Boiling Lake. You walk through the jungle, cross rivers, climb boulders, explore valleys with boiling creeks, and natural hot pools to swim in; You get to the end of Victoria Falls after climbing up huge boulders and walk into the bottom of a 240' Waterfall and try to swim against the force of something that strong (Brother said you are a different person after you swim at Victoria Falls.) You can jump off a 15' cliff into a small gorge and swim for three minutes to a hidden waterfall (You can just walk in the water too, you don't have to jump); You can go to the market and Moses or another guide, will buy you local fruit and show you how to eat the jelly out of coconuts; You can snorkel and go sea kayaking; Or you can stay at the pool and lie in the sun or visit the spa.

We did everything in a week. It was amazing, rejuvenating, relaxing, healthy, fun, tasty, romantic, and more.

Unusual in a good way

by TripAdvisor Member PNWCaribbeanTraveler

Besides seconding all the positive reviews that are already here, I must say Jungle Bay Resort is probably the most unusual resort in the Caribbean. Unusual in many ways: although its setting is gorgeous, there's no broad, white-sand beach with wait staff taking your cocktail orders or guys ready to rent you plastic toys; the owners are actually onsite and are ready and willing to interact with you as a customer; very little of their food is imported and so is a little different than what you’d eat at home; you have to be in relatively good shape to reach most of the cottages which are very private; the swimming pool is not blue; the staff is gracious not just because they want a tip from you but because they're happy to be there; the resort is not particularly convenient to any airport but is well worth the winding ride up and down steep, mountainside roads (with no guardrails in many instances!).

Jungle Adventure Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member albertahiker

Over the summer we spent a week vacation at Jungle Bay in Dominica that was way above and beyond our expectations. Jungle Bay is a magical place on the coast of Dominica overlooking the Atlantic ocean and nestled in the rainforest. 4 of us booked two private cottages and we spent the week on the Jungle Spa Adventure Pacakge. What value, we got all our meals, airport trips, spa treatments and tours everyday. Irvin, Brother and Moses are excellent guides. The staff will pamper you and you will truly feel relaxed by the end of the week even after working our You will want to book your vacation here each year like we do. Once you come once and realize home much of Dominica there is to explore, you will tell all of your friends. It is so refreshing to find a place that is not the typical inclusive resort. We love to do things and get out to explore the culture and nature of the places we are visiting.

Urban Girl in the Jungle

by TripAdvisor Member debbiedoes

Dominica is one of the most wonderful places on earth. The people and the land are beautiful and this is accentuated by the addition of Jungle Bay.

Local ecology, economy and education were all taken into consideration when Sam built his dream into the side of a mountain and his foresight help make the overall journey even more magical. The cabins are well crafted and comfortable, the staff is exceptionally friendly and accomodating, the food is fresh and beyond tasty, the view is stunning.

My friend and I went for a one week get away from the city. She is the outdoorsey type. On the other hand, I am not. She had no trouble with all the hikes and trails. I struggled with many of them. I had never hiked before and I have never been so sweaty and tired on a trip. My body never ached so much. Every night my spa treatment was a massage on my calves. but you know what? I WOULD NOT TRADE THIS EXPERIENCE FOR ANYTHING!

We happened to hit Jungle Bay and Dominica on an off week and pretty much had the entire island to ourselves. It was wonderful! We had private tours by Brother and Moses. Joanne took our request for more mashed sweet potato. Avril and Vinora called to see how we felt. No where else could we have felt more special!

From my first e:mail exchange to my final good-bye, Jungle Bay exceded my expectations in every way. Thank you Sam and Glenda and VOULA - you rock!

A Slice of Heaven!!

by TripAdvisor Member kburke107

Jungle Bay is simply...heaven! Life doesn't get any better than this. Friends of mine got engaged, and then married here for the wedding. Friends and family of all ages and from several countries gathered here. Everything is amazingly clean. The staff are lovely and always willing to quickly assist with your needs. And the food is scrumptious! Views are breath-taking. The tours...snorkeling, hiking up to the falls...are wonderful and the guides take great care of you. The showers are fabulous!!! Swim in the pool late at night and see the delightful stars. It rained our last night and it was so romantic. Jungle Bay is a place you never want to leave.

Nothing Like It

by TripAdvisor Member shelleybean1975

It isn't 24 hours since we returned from JUNGLE BAY but our trip was so fantastic I was compelled to get on trip advisor and sing the praises of this unique property. We knew we were in a special place when on the first day I went to tip the person who carried our heavy bags up 175 stairs only to find out it was Sam the owner. You aren't going to find dedication to a property like that anywhere! Instantly we felt welcomed, by the end of our first full day all the employees we encountered knew our names! WE couldn't believe it! From the cozy cottages, to the delicious organic food to the outdoor showers(our favorite!) there is a pervading sense of oneness in nature. Knowledgable guides shared a lifetime of personal experience and history on hikes to waterfalls and hotsprings that were awe inspiring. Dominica is one of the last islands untouched by western influence and JUNGLE BAY should be applauded for the way they have blended this exceptional resort into the landscape. Sam and all at JUNGLE BAY, thankyou for such a wonderful time.

Shaun & Michelle

Can't wait to return

by TripAdvisor Member Domish

One has to accept that everyone has their own opinion on what an idyllic holiday is - and that varies at different stages of one's life. Presently Jungle Bay is mine. I still have the photo of my 6 year son in the swimming pool, with the dining area as the back drop, as my screen saver on my mobile phone. We only spent 2 days, as part of my trip to Dominica, at Jungle Bay and for me that was the perfect ending. I can still hear the sound of the Atlantic ocean whilst having a massage - in the most beautiful setting. Both my kids thought it was a fantastic adventure with all the wild life creatures - birds, lizards, frogs etc. The shower room in the cottages is to experience personally - to explain it would spoil it completely. Fresh local produce. I haven't stopped talking about the place since I left and can't wait for the day to return.

LOVED IT! I will be back for sure. Heaven on earth for eco-tourists.

by TripAdvisor Member justind135

I went to Jungle Bay on my honeymoon. It was perfect. Jungle bay is in the rainforest on the eastern coast of the island.

The rooms: The rooms are open air cabins (no air conditioning) which are built on stilts and sit in the rainforest. They overlook the ocean. At night you can hear the waves crashing and the soothing sounds of the rainforest all at once. It is not hot with not air conditioning, but at times I had a little trouble falling asleep with no air (It was probably around 77 degrees faranheit). Although I was not there at the cooler time of the year. The rooms were basic and very clean, with a nice porch. I especially loved the open air shower.

Spa: If you get the all inclusive package it comes with a free 30 minute massage each day. The spa is open air and overlooks the ocean. It is amazing hearing the ocean crashing while getting a rub down. The spa was great, especially after a long day of hiking. The staff is great and very professional.

Food: The food at Jungle Bay is good. They pride themselves on serving locally grown and extremely fresh foods. The all-inclusive package allows you to eat as much as you want at all meals, except for alcohol.
-Breakfast - I loved breakfast. They always served fresh locally picked fruit and fresh fruit juices. They had the usual eggs, ect and also some nice oatmeal and organic choices.
-Lunch - was nice selection of wraps, salads, sandwhiches.
-Dinner - Soup was always excellent, as was salads. There was a choice of a couple different appetizers each night. For entrees there were about 5 choices, usually 2 chicken, 1 fish, and 2 other. Always one of the other is vegetarian. The vegetarian meals are excellent. The chicken is pretty good, but is a little to dry for my liking. The fish is very fresh and prepared nice, but it was always Tuna, so no variety. Dinners were very good, but a little more selection on entree would have been nice. There was never any pork or red meat.

Staff - The staff was REALLY nice and accomidating. They new me and my wife by name and went out of their way to chat with me. The owners talked with us each day. The cooks are SO friendly and the tour guides are very knowldegable. I felt like I was leaving a whole group of friends behind when I left.

Tours - The best part about Jungle Bay in my opinion was the tours. If you get the all inclusive (which is a great value) it includes a preset schedule of tours. You can sign up each day if you want to do them. They go to all the great places on the island and the tour guides are fantastic (especially Moses). They will also help you book any other tours you want to do. The preset schedule helps make the vacation relaxing b/c you don't have to plan what you will do each day, it is already set up and was always a lot of fun and adventure.

Overall: I loved it and will be back. It was very romantic and a great adventure at the same time. However, Jungle Bay is not for everyone. It requires a lot of walking (some cabins are far away)and a respect for nature. It is a great mix of basic (almost rustic), but fancy in some ways too. If you are expecting a five-star resort with all the trimings, you will be disappointed. Just do your research first. If you are an eco-tourist you will be in heaven.

We miss you Jungle Bay,

Justin and Kealoha Deutsch

jungle bay resort - pooljungle bay resort - pool

jungle bay chaletjungle bay chalet

inside jungle bay hotel areainside jungle bay hotel area

wild beach down of jungle baywild beach down of jungle bay

Comments