Aladino Aparta Hotel

Lunar eclipse from my backyard 3Lunar eclipse from my backyard 3

The trainThe train

Living in the D R

by englishman007

Does anyone know how the rules apply for foreigners( I am a brit and a US passport holder) staying indefinitely in the D R? Health -wise- would we get any treatment if not insured?( I heard health care is free). I go often to the DR on vacation, but now would like to spend time there helping orphan kids or adults to learn English or something, or build homes, or whatever if somethign goes south with my job here. I am single so I can move on. But at 48 I'm thinking maybe I can give back a little..............

by marielexoteria

First, let me congratulate you for your interest in giving back :-) very nice of you.

You'll get any treatment, insured or not, but then be aware that people without insurance pays more for treatment than those with insurance.

What I'd suggest is that you guys rent for a while and study the "terrain" of Santo Domingo before purchasing any property. Once you've settled in and know that you wanna stay there for a long period, then become a resident (first you get a temporary residency and then a permanent one). After you become a resident, get a cédula (Dominican ID cards) and with that then get a health care insurance that will help you IF you need it.

Furthermore, with a residency permit you get the same treatment as us locals (and also the same duties, but you don't get to vote in our elections).

If you don't wanna become a resident, then make sure you have $$$$$ in case anything bad happens (which I hope it doesn't happen). You could have an account with an ATM card ONLY for transferring money, so that you can go to an ATM and withdraw it whenever needed (and then it's empty when you don't need it and avoid surprises). This is what we use when we visit.

by MioMia

just stay as long as you like. i know guys living here 22 y without residency. you'll need to pay a fine whenever you go out of the country, but that's not too bad, just puts money in the pockets of the airport workers... just pay attention they aren't over-zealous and don't over charge you!

healthwise, humana insurance or the best and most expensive one: Universal. you'll find office in ocean dream building in cabarete. they have cover for about 60us$/mo maybe less maybe more for your age/sex and if paid upfront for 1y, 6mo or 4mo.

good luck

by marielexoteria

That fine at the airport: there should be signs saying how much, but if not then they're here: http://www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas/vextranjeria.htm (in Spanish and the prices are in Dominican pesos).

many many thanks

thanks so so much

by marielexoteria

If I may, when are you thinking of going down there? And how's your Spanish?

by englishman007

I go there a lot. I have a friend in La caleta outside of Santo Domingo. Regreso el mayo paro solo pasare poco tiempo en Santo Domingo- voy a ver Constanza esta vez....

Travel Tips for Santo Domingo

Lunar eclipse

by marielexoteria

We had the opportunity to see a lunar eclipse while we were there and it was nice because where we live we can rarely see any space fenomena. My pictures aren't the best so I combined this tip with a better one from ESA. The eclipse took place on Feb 20 and the pictures were taken between 9 and 10pm.

Playing domino

by marielexoteria

Playing domino while drinking a few cold beers is a pastime we Dominicans enjoy. If we can't play we like to at least watch and participate in the fun.

Domino is usually played by 4 people in 2 teams of 2, where the players of the same team sit in front of each other. Normally we play on wood tables and we like to slam the domino bricks on to it, especially when making the game difficult for the opposing team or when making "capicúa". Most of the time the game is at the local colmado (convenience store) or at someone's front porch or patio. While this pastime is enjoyed all over DR, I chose to place it in my Santo Domingo page because here is where I've lived and spent most of my time.

Read about how to play the game and a brief explanation of the word capicúa at the website below.

Aguinaldos

by marielexoteria

An aguinaldo is a typical get together where people would go singing Christmas songs from door to door, accompanied by our Dominican drums, güira (a cylindrical percussion instrument made of a thin tin sheet, see picture) and accordion. These informal singers and music players are received merrily with ginger tea, coffee, hot chocolate, cookies, empanadas, etc. Sometimes they'd even collect money to make a big sancocho.

The most traditional song is a merengue with a not-so-subtle güira sound, and it goes like this, with my loose translation:

"Ábreme la puerta (2x, open the door [to me])
que estoy la calle (because I'm [out] on the street)
y dirá la gente (and people will say)
que esto es un desaire. (that this is a turn down.)

allá dentro veo (2x, I see in there)
un bulto tapao, (a hidden something)
no se si será un lechón asao (I don't know if it'll be a roasted pig)"

These parties can be either prearranged some days (or weeks) in advanced or something created by the spur of the moment, usually after we Dominicans get our "doble sueldo" - which is a tax-free 13th pay we get together with our tax deductible December pay.

Hernan Cortes' house

by alfredop

A few people know that the French embassy at the main historical square was actually Hernan Cortes' house. Hernan Cortes was one of the Spanish conquerors, responsible of the Spanish expansion among America. He was also responsible for the most cruel killings in several countries, including Dominican Republic and Mexico.

Carros públicos (share-a-taxis)

by marielexoteria

Convenient, cheap but less safe than the buses. The share-a-taxis are popular among capitaleños (people from Santo Domingo). You might have seen them: a typical car with the driver, 2 people on the front seat and 4 on the back. They'll travel the same route back and forth and will pick up and drop off passengers wherever (although not in the middle of the street ;)). Because their routes are shorter they're more expensive than the buses if you travel a distance as long as the buses. Good for a short ride from point A to point B. When you want the driver to stop so that you can get off, say "déjame" (de'hahme, sort of).

Comments