Calle Friusa, Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• stcroixlady's Profile Photo

Great Experience

We were there last November and are planning to go again this November. It has always been a great experience, with good food, good drinks, good service and I don't know what else you can ask for. There was three of us so we had a 2 bedroom suite with 3 bathrooms and a sitting room so we had ample room to spread out. I have to say, I am not a complainer. I say if you are in the Caribbean you are lucky enough!

• Clean, and Beautiful Occidental!

The hotel offers almost anything and everything! 'all-inclusive' means just that! The food was great! At the Home Run (inbetween) snack bar, and also the buffet was simply stunning! and you could find so much different foods there! Spices and BBq Sauces were nonexistent...but plenty of different food selections! If you tip the housekeepers early with something on your pillow...we left perfume samples and lip glosses, you may get hot towels after you shower!!..
    Don't be surprised if someone comes looking like a 'ghost-buster' and wants to spray your room with mosquito repellent - Guess that's the norm. We didn't get bit once by mosquitoes.
    I was simply amazed at how clean everything was kept, from the grounds, to the beach, to the pools!
    One of my favorite holidays ever!!

Unique Quality: When you go to the beach, you would swear you are on a movie set!! Bavaro is THAT beautiful!

More about Occidental Grand Punta Cana

Occidental Grand Flamenco Punta Cana

My boyfriend and I went late January 2003 to the Grand Flamenco in Punta Cana. Do I recommend it? Well, I think it depends what you are looking for. I was looking to layout, tan, and spend quiet time with the hubby. The hubby likes action and room service. He played beach volley ball half the time. One thing, this resort is all inclusive so there is no room service nor are there irons (for whatever reason). I needed to iron a couple of things. They needed to be picked up and dropped off. RIDICULOUS! Okay, so next time we'll bring our own travel iron. Next, there's the lame hours for food. If you want a midnight snack, you'll have to grin and bear it. There is no snack bar open late hours. LAME.LAME: There is no bar on the beach!!!!! There's a bar nearby, but not on the beach. This bar always has a line for drinks, too. COMPLETELY ANNOYING. Mind you, I'm in shape, but I'm on vacation! The positives? It's a really beautiful hotel. The rooms are okay. There's a shop inside the resort that has beautiful Italian jewelry. I bought a great amber necklace for $100. You can't go wrong. The pools are cool. The beach is amazing. Would I go back? Okay, I'm a member of the Allegro Vacation Club. Trying out places for me is very inexpensive, so it's not a big deal if I go or not. Grand Flamenco? I won't go back. I had a good time because of my hubby and the staff is very friendly. As for service, this hotel is so large that service cannot be very good. Allegro Jack Tar Village Puerto Plata is a smaller hotel with a bunch of little Houses that is so quaint. Service there is great. Iron your own if you want at no extra cost. I would go back to that resort. Both hotels are mainly for couples, but the Flamenco allows children, which I'm not really crazy about either. Imagine women topless and barely hoding on to their bottoms with children around?

A Good Option in Punta Cana

by raf765 about Gran Bahía Principe Bávaro

It's huge, they have a great structure, good restaurants (a lot of them). The all inclusive system is nice, you don't have to worry about paying for drinks and food all day.

The rooms are OK, but the cleaning is not that good. Some days we got back to the room after going to the beach or the pools, and the rooms were not made up. 1 - Great view. In front of the hotel, you can see an old wrecked ship. It's beautiful.
2 - The pools. Lots of them, with wet bars and everything.
3 - Great scuba diving team.

Bávaro Tip

by Pierangelo

Hotel Los corales in Punta Cana was full of Italian tourists and had Italian kitchen but I was unhappy. For me that beach was the typical Golden prison for mass-tourism, I can't have contact with the real people and the real atmosfphere of Dominican republic. I think is better to go to the capital and to Boca chica.

Different - But pleased

by ScubaCat about Riu Tiano

The Riu hotel chain is very similar to the Palace hotels in Mexico. You can stay at one & play at all the others, which is exactly what we did! We had a blast checking out all the different Riu hotels along the beach & found out that we were staying in a mid priced Riu hotel...which I thought was fantastic for the price! Riu hotels run for the very budget minded to very expensive upper class, with marble bathrooms & floors. After the similarity of staying at 1 & playing at the rest, the similarites end there. The Riu hotels are partnered with their German counterparts and their resturants are german based food. It takes a while to get used to and you learn eventually what to eat & what not to eat. The hotel staff is wonderful & very friendly, whatever you need....will be in your room when you return from your adventures outside. The rooms and grounds are clean & well kept. The beach is clean & Riu offers loungers to sun in. Because there is not a lot to do in Punta Cana, the Riu hotels offer a mini city or man made road to individual unique shops to stroll around in at night and everyone is invited to the Casino. The name of this little area is called Carribean Street. All in all I was very pleased with this hotel chain & would stay there again. I really liked the idea of staying at one & playing at all the others. For the Riu Tiano the views were not that great considering how the buildings were layed out, but you did have a balcony in order to view the grounds and palm trees. Hubby & I had a blast one morning watching 1 of the caretakers removing coconuts from the trees. He notice us watching & posed at the top of the tree for a picture. It's very interesting how they climb the tree's in order to get to the top. This gentleman even gave us a coconut cut open in order for us to drink from. Very nice guy, he told us that they have to go around to all the coconut trees every few days to pick the coconuts so they didn't fall from the trees naturally and bonk guests in the head. I have to say the beach is this hotels best feature, although I did love the little bungalows and how the eating establishment was layed out. The resturant was outside and you could eat & watch the beach along with receiving a wonderful breeze. The pool wasn't bad either although it was fairly run of the mill, other than you could get drinks at the bar by the pool. One of the Riu hotels had their bar IN the pool. Now that was a fun afternoon.

Paradise Overall

My boyfriend & I recently vacationed at the Occidental Flamenco. I really had not heard alot about the Dominican Republic yet we were both very excited. There was immediate chaos upon arrival at the airport. We were not sure exactly where to go & when we finally found our transportation to the hotel we were stuffed like sardines into a tiny minibus. Check-in at the hotel was not much better. A large group of german tourists cut right in front of us. Yet once we made it our room things began to come together. First of all we were told we would have a room closer to the main lobby. Yet we were surprised to find ourselves looking out our balcony right at the beach. How wonderful to have a beautiful ocean view. I had never seen water so pristine, such a lovely shade of blue. While the surroundings were quite lovely, I did have a few complaints. The first is the food was not very good. Beware vegetarians!!! I think I even drop a few pounds & I can not think of one meal that was any good. My boyfriend agreed with me on this one which is quite interesting due to the fact that he will pretty much eat anything. Another thing that bothered me on our vacation is that I did not find the hotel staff to be very friendly. That was very disappointing. The Occidental did not have a casino but you could take a taxi to another hotel which did & the casino would reimburse your taxi driver. That was very fun. During our four night stay we did not tour the town & that is one thing I do regret. Although I did hear from other tourists that vendors did hassle you quite a bit. All in all it was a nice getaway. The beautiful environment made the food & the staff not seem too terribly important.

Incredible!

The lobby is gorgeous, the rooms amazing, the beaches were the best ive ever seen and then grounds were the best kept, and most beautiful! Service was excellent, our room cleaned everyday with a smile, just going from our room to the beach we received a million "hello's" and smiles from the staff! Food was great, always a huge variety at the buffet, the a la carte restaurants were great too! When returning to Punta Cana, i will definetely be returning to the Flamenco! I think the rating should be 5* instead of 4*!

by Coombsie

The plane lands at the Punta Cana International Airport in the Dominican Republic, you walk out of the plane and right onto Gilligans Island! Palm trees swaying, warm tropical breezes and more stars in the sky then you can count! And this is only the begining!

by CarlosLuz

One thing I really fell in love with in the DR were the beaches and the ocean...the colours are so intense, the water so clear and warm :o)

Our hotel was sited in the Punta Cana area, more specifically, in front of Playa Arena Gorda

"Different perspective"

Pic of Carla, with me lying down in the sand... the different perspective worked out nicely, I guess

"Water fun with Water cam"

"Sunrise over the sea"

Sunrise at 06:15 between the palmtres, in the hotel beach

"Sunrise over the sea"

Another shot of the sunrise, on a different day...the clouds look a bit nicer on this one.

I loved the beaches of the DR, especially the ones in the south (Caribbean Sea, of course) although Punta Cana was very nice.

"Beach view from lifeguard's seat"

"Playa Arena Gorda"

Overall view of the hotel's beach (Arena Gorda, Punta Cana) Look at those fabulous palmtrees :o)

"Beach view : South"

"Beach view : North"

Going north through the beach, while looking for a famous location with many "tiendas" in the beach, to buy some souvenirs

Cargo ship which was trapped in the sand in 1980...today it's a famous diving site in the Dominican Republic

My favorite pic that Carla got from me in this trip...it looks quite...heavenly or something like that(with them clouds and aparently suspended palmtree)

punta cana

by coolswizzle

"best deal in the caribbean"

i don`t have that much pictures and tips for this travel page because when i was in the dominican republic - i just got lazy. hey... i deserve it!

with blue skies, white warm sand and crystal clear blue water......what more can you ask for?

by Plendil

"Beach Scenes"

This was the beautiful beach I to relax on everyday!

What a hard life!

"I think it's gonna rain!"

Storms appear very quickly and are wonderful to watch. These pictures were taken a few days before Hurricane Michelle hit the Caribbean.

I stayed in the Dominican Republic from 24 October to 14 November which is the Caribbean's Spring time so the weather can still be a bit on the wet and windy side. However, most storms pass over very quickly and everything dries out rapidly (even your towels!)

Punta CanaPunta Cana

Punta CanaPunta Cana

punta cana barpunta cana bar

Buggy trip in Punta CanaBuggy trip in Punta Cana

by mkinkeade

My friend and I are single guys looking to have an awesome vaction next month. Does anyone have any suggestions where and what to do. Also looking for some local single women to hang out with as well.

Re: Punta Cana

by asahelys1

my expertise is Dominican Republic!!!
2 single guys in Punta Cana a must would be Mangu is the hottest nightclub in the area & its right next door to the OCCIDENTAL GRAND PUNTA CANA.

Re: Punta Cana

by mkinkeade

THANK YOU SO MUCH. WE ARE LOOKING TO HAVE A GREAT AND WILD TIME

Punt Cana: New Year's Eve Parties?

by e.r.d.

I am a single guy heading down solo to the Occidental, Punta Cana on the 31st for a week. Was wondering where the party will be that night for New Year's and if there will be any single ladies out?

Re: Punt Cana: New Year's Eve Parties?

by marielexoteria

Aside from the ones at the hotels and at Mangu, maybe you should ask the same question at www.dr1.com/forums. The locals there should know better.

Happy holidays.

WEATHER FOR END OF JULY??

by sunshinehappy

LOOKING TO BOOK A DREAM HOLIDAY FOR END OF JULY AND LOVE THE LOOK OF DOM REP - BUT WONDERED WETHER I CAN EXPECT DREAM WEATHER AT THIS TIME OF YEAR? HOTTER THE BETTER FOR ME! ALSO ANY HOTEL OR REGIONS THAT ANYONE CAN RECOMMEND WOULD BE APPRECIATED, THANKS, SUNSHINEHAPPY

Re: WEATHER FOR END OF JULY??

by Danni620

Hot. Hot. Hot. You will occasionally have your thundershower, but those only last for 5 minutes then it's back to being hot.

I, personally, love Punta Cana. I will be going there for the third time to Riu Bambu. It's so much fun. It's lively, the entertainment is amazing, it's practically a neverending party. It also helps that there are 5 other Rius along the beach so you could go from one to the other.

Re: WEATHER FOR END OF JULY??

by asahelys1

As she said "HOT HOT HOT" I love DR its my 2nd home, I would recommend PUNTA CANA (most popular destination in DR) at the OCCIDENTAL GRAND FLAMENCO (if you love partying) the hottest disco in the area is next door (called MANGU) & its central so you can venture outside the resort.

Comments