Barcelo Premium Punta Cana

4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Arena Gorda Beach, (Formerly "Breezes Punta Cana"), Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Barcelo Punta Cana
Booking.com Orbitz.com amextravel.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 23% less but rated 11% lower than other 4.5 star hotels

• jcsilverio1's Profile Photo

Punta Cana Best Service for the price

Soy domininicano y he visitado varios hoteles en el pais, especialmente en la zona de Punta Cana y Bavaro y de todos el que me ha brindado la mejor experiencia de diversion, buen trato y comodidad lo ha sido este Barcelo Punta Cana Premiun. La calidad de su gente, Francis, el Mimo, Sandy en actividades, la camarista de nuestra habitacion. Todo fue fantastico, el caraoke, el area infantil y sobre todo el trapecio, excelente experiencia.
    Definitivamente voy a regresar pronto.....

Unique Quality: Creo que el trapecio y la montana de escalar son sobresalientes. Nunca pense que tendria la experiencia de subirme a un trapecio como los cirqueros..

• Wonderful, Wonderful Holiday

Travelled with my husband and 2 teenage daughters for Christmas vacation. The hotel was great. Read the reviews before travelling and was advised by my travel agent who had stayed there before that it was a good hotel. The girls loved the trapeze and the beach and the bars needless to say. Our rooms were clean, bar was stocked daily and rooms cleaned and fresh towels everyday by 2. We stayed in building 2 which is the newer section. But did hear of ants and patio doors not locking in the older section. From building 2 you could be on the beach in 3 minutes or the quiet pool. The beach you could walk forever on, my husband and I walked for an hour each day. Al a cartes' were great. We had 4 for the week and were not disappointed in any. Michael Jackson show is a must see. You would think you were watching the real M.J. Other shows maybe not so great circus show was good and entertaining. Bar by the pool/beach were not crowded and service was great. Zip Lining is worth every $89 p.p. The trip up the mountain is great. Make sure you take running shoes if going on this excursion. My husband and oldest daughter also went dune bugging! Take old clothes as you will be covered in mud! My youngest and I went swimming with the dolphins which was a great experience and would recommend it.

Directions: If going to the Punta Cana Shopping Plaza beware they are like sharks. They are hungry for your business. Coffee,vanilla and rum is cheap to buy there and souveniors. Remeber to barter with them. You most likely always get your price.

• Best value for money

This resort was amazing. I couldnt believe that this was where we were staying. We booked one of the cheapest all inclusive deals we could find online and when we got there we were amazed at how nice it was. We requested the new part of the hotel and didn't pay the extra $200 for an ocean view, but when we got there we had one of the best rooms they had. It had an ocean view and a view of the main pool. It was centrally located and very comfortable. Everyday they stocked our mini bar.

The restaurants are pretty good (not so much the buffet). When you get there make sure to make dinner reservations for some of the restaurants they dont give you tickets for (El Mirador, El Conuco and El Marlin).

There is a disco downstairs that not everybody knows about, so round up some people and head on down.....it's not always busy, but it depends which day and time of the year you are there.

Drinks aren't all that. The alcohol is watered down and unless you get drunk off sugar you won't be fluttering much. If you want something to get tipsy off.....try the wine (sparkling was my favorite)

Don't miss the "Back to the future" show at the hotel theater......the Dominican Michael Jackson is the BEST performance you will ever see. It's like seeing Michael Jackson up close for FREE. His dance moves are amazing and he has the moon walk down like nobody else.

Unique Qualities: Great pools, amazing views, nice beach, friendly staff (when they're not hitting on you)

Unique Quality: Great pool, Amazing views, nice beach, friendly staff (when they're not hitting on you)

• fraggle123's Profile Photo

dominicans best

hi every one my name is emma from ENGLAND i have just been 2 superclubs breezes and had a fantastic time, the entertainment and games were great, i even won one.so i hope who ever is at superclub breezes is having a brilliant time like i did.
    i would also like 2 say hello 2 any one who was there when i went, and say thank you 2 everyone who cheered me on in the games,

Unique Quality: the whole complex is brilliant

• gary9433's Profile Photo

Keep your cool

You should bring a spare card with a magnetic stripe (like a visa, MC card but not someting that can bankrupt you) to keep the A/C running while you were out of the room. The card served the same purpose that your room key serves to keep the room and your mini bar cool. You place the card in a recepticle next to the door to your room.

The idea being that your room key serves this purpose but you need to take your key when you leave the room.

Unique Quality: If you walk to the right (if facing the ocean) down the beach approx a kilometer or a half mile you will find a flea market. Head towards the partially sunken supertanker.

• Wonderful Stay

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff was so friendly and accomadating that I'm sure we will be back. The only mishap was the first evening we arrived, the room wasn't ready and the power went out... for a few hours, but the bartender's quickly made us forget that!! They had us tipsy and laughing in not time.

The food was decent in some resturaunts, great in others. There was enough variety for you to be able to find somthing to your liking.

I recommend bringing your own towels because sometimes they won't leave fresh ones everyday and you may not feel like waiting for them to bring some up. Also don' t drink the tap water, don't even use it to brush your teeth. YOU'LL BE SOORRYY!!

Unique Quality: The beach was OUTSTANDING!!! This resort is the last on the strip, so it probably has the largest beach out of all the other resorts. You can actually walk off the property along the beach a find a much more secluded, peaceful part.

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

24hr all inclusive

The beach in Punta Cana is beautiful. This hotel is located right on the white sand beach and its closest resort is the Riu Bambu.

Right between the two hotels ( which are approx. a 10-15 min. walk apart) is a Dominican flee market where you can buy paintings, carvings, and souvenirs in many other forms for very good prices. Make sure you head to the market with Pesos instead of US Dollars s since there is a lesser chance of getting ripped off.
    Also, please bargain with the vendors since their initial prices are not very realistic. If you do not wish to shop at the market, you always have an option of taking a shuttle bus to the Bavaro Shopping Center.

Unique Quality: on the newest part of the beach...still pristine....

Directions: Playa Arena Gorda, Carretera Macao
    32 km (25 minutes) to the International Airport Punta Cana
    65 km to Higey, next city

More about Barcelo Premium Punta Cana

Had a fantastic time

by TripAdvisor Member The_Mortons

We stayed at Superclubs Breezes Punta Cana (now Barcelo Premium Punta Cana) from 16th to 30th October, 2006. We are a family of 2 adults (now married adults!) and 2 children (9 & 5). We went out to this resort not really knowing what to expect after reading all the bad reviews but we needn't have worried as we had a fantastic time.

CHECK IN:
We had no problem with check-in, very fast and the porter even had the cases at our room before we got there.

FOOD:
We only went to two of the speciality restaurants, the Italian - very nice and the Marlin (BBQ and seafood) - also nice. The only downside was that there wasn't much choice in main meals, there were about 6 options in each. Being fussy eaters this wasn't too good. We didn't fancy any of the other restaurants but heard that they were good, especially the Japanese. The rest of the time we ate at the buffet (Alcazar) which had too much choice, the dessert section was amazing, too hard to try just one! Breakfast at the Alcazar was also good with a wide variety of foods (omlettes, eggs, cereal, toast, fruit, pancakes, sausages, beans and lots more). Lunchtimes we mostly ate at the beach bar (Marlin) which was also very nice. We did go to the El Sombrero once but service was very slow (waited about 1/2 hour to be served then about 40 minutes for the food) and when the food did arrive the order was wrong so we didn't go back there. We did hear that it was good from some other people so maybe we were just unlucky.

ROOM:
We had room 7113 which was a suite on the ground floor. This was very nice with a sitting room which had a settee bed for the kids and their own tv, they also had a seperate bathroom. Our room was brilliant, we had an en-suite with a jacuzzi bath and seperate shower. Our bed was HUGE and we also had a large tv. The room was cleaned every day along with towel and linen change, the maids also left pretty flowers around the bathroom sinks and swans made from towels either on the bed or on the towel rail. The fridge was stocked daily with soft drinks and water, we also left a tip every other day and got beer everyday too. My husband asked for a bottle of rum and got one in the room the same day so we gave him an extra tip. We also got another bottle another day without asking. We had a bottle of champagne the day we arrived, we had another one on our wedding day and again the day after. We also received a phone call one evening asking if wanted a bottle of champagne or beer - we got both at no cost! We had a few ants in the room but that was down to sticky drink on the side. We did have a couple of unwanted guests by way of cockroaches but these were thrown out of the door. The kids loved our daily visit from Lenny the Lizard outside one of our three balcony's. We had views of the beach, jacuzzi's and pool from our room and we could also hear the sea at night which was quite nice.

BEACH & POOL:
The beach is amazing, the sand feels like flour to walk on. We had mostly orange flag days, one red and on the green days we couldn't tell the difference between the orange days. The sea was quite rough so wouldn't let the kids in without one of us being in there with them. There are plenty of sunbeds and it is kept very clean.
The pool was very refreshing on the hot days and clean most of the time, we only found that there was rubbish in the pool (i.e. water bottles, cups) when there was an influx of American and South American visitors. Other than that we don't have a bad word to say about it. There are constantly workers going round picking up rubbish and clearing plates from around the pool. We quite often saw them cleaning the pool too. We always managed to find beds around the pool.

There are two guys that go round during the day with different animals (parrots, monkey, iguana) that you can have your photo taken with. You can then buy these from the photo shop on the evening for 8US$ each.

EVENINGS:
The entertainment team work very hard and put on some good shows (Night Fever, Circus, Magician, Broadway shows). The only downside for us was that when these finished at around 10.30 there wasn't much to do as the children were only allowed into the disco on family night which is once a week. This didn't matter too much as we would go and have a drink at the beach bar while the kids played giant chess or we would go back to the room and sit on the balcony while the kids watched tv. There was a fantastic guy who was in the theatre area most nights who did fabulous paintings. He also did spray painting with the kids, ours did two each over the two weeks and they loved it.

TRIPS:
We went on the Outback Safari which was excellent. Our guide was Daniel and our driver was Louis (his driving license was a bottle of rum!) and they were both very good. It is a good way to see some of the country and get local knowledge. We visited a dominican home and a rum shack. We saw schools and a cock fighting pit. We also saw how they made cocoa and coffee. Lunch and drinks were included and it was always happy hour. Before we returned to the hotel we were taken to a beach where you could go body boarding (the sea was very rough here).
The second trip we did was going to Manati Park. We booked with a rep at the hotel as Airtours does not endorse this park, we found out why when we went. We got a free bus from the hotel to the park and the cost was 75US$ (which included swimming with dolphins). It was good to walk around and see the animals, we went into the Iguana enclosure and could walk round with loads of large and small iguanas. We also went into the bird cage and had birds eating seeds off our heads and out of our hands. There were a range of other animals too and there were also shows you could watch (horse, parrot, dolphin and sealion). When we saw the dolphins we realised why the tour operators don't support it, the pool that the two dolphins were in was tiny, barely enough room for one let alone two. However, as we had paid for the experience of swimming with them already we did so. It was an amazing experience being in the water with them and stroking them, they gave us a kiss and they pulled us across the pool one by one.

BAD POINTS:
The only bad points about this resort are when the locals come onto the complex some evenings selling items they were a bit pushy and don't like taking no for an answer. I would of actually liked to look at some of the stalls but don't like to be pushed into buying something and not left to browse in your own time. The other bad point was the invasion of the South Americans who were very load and not very clean (rubbish). Apart from these two we couldn't complain about anything else.

WEDDING:
We got married at the beginning of our second week. We could not have wished for a better day, it was lovely and sunny (if a bit hot!). We stayed by the pool in the morning and I went off to the spa to have my hair and makeup done at 2pm. They were very good in there (even if they didn't speak much English) and the lady I had did a wonderful job with my hair. We were due to get married at 4pm but the judge was late (we were told that this was normal). We chose the beach as our location for the ceremony so I got ready at the spa. The flowers were beautiful and so was the decoration on the beach, we had a palm leaf arch with flowers on and there were rose petals sprinkled on the floor in the shape of a heart. We had a trio who played the wedding march walking behind me as I walked to my now husband and son waiting at the arch (the other son walked with me). The ceremony was in spanish (the wedding coordinator translated) and lasted no more than 10 minutes, we only had to say 'I do' . We did a toast, then cut the cake (which was delicious - two tier, one chocolate one vanilla covered in artifical cream), had our first dance under the arch while the band played and it was all perfect, we couldn't of wished for a better day. We had lots of photos taken and our photographer (Vanessa) was brilliant. We had some taken on the beach, some on a sand dune and in the gardens. We had dinner at El Marlin (they decorated a table for us) and then went to the entertainment. We made our way round all the bars several times (somehow managing to drink our way through 8 bottles of champagne - between the two of us - from the moment we got married!) The day was amazing from start to finish and the wedding coordinator (Jennifer) could not have been more helpful.

We found all the staff friendly and helpful and wouldn't hesitate in going back there. We hope that if you are going you don't listen to all the bad reviews and if you are thinking of getting married there we would certainly recommend it, it's definately the best way to do it. If you have any questions you can email just_stevens@hotmail.com, we would be happy to answer as I know I found this helpful when we were planning our holiday/wedding.

Very Detail Review

by TripAdvisor Member Pritika

I hope you find this review very helpful. It will be very detailed. My partner and I (31 & 26) stayed at the Barcelo formerly known as Breezes from Nov 2nd to the 9th. First thing I would like to mention is that I didn’t know that breezes had changed their name till after arriving at the resort. So FYI Breezes Punta Cana resort Spa and Casino is now called Barcelo. We arrived at night and the shuttle bus to the resort was hilarious. The driver drove very fast. Hahah. They offer you beer on the way there for 2 bucks. It is a 30 minute drive so order two beers because they don’t ask again. The resort overall was fantastic. If you are particular about your room then I would suggest you pay for an upgrade if you are not then you will find the room to be just enough. We ended up getting an ocean view room without even asking which was very nice. The room was standard which worked for us. The only thing was that the mirror had spots on it but hell I was in Punta Cana what did I care about the mirror. There was a bit of a smell but it didn’t bother us. You will get that smell where ever you go cause of the ocean, what’s the big deal. The resort is huge. There are lots of place to hang out for the night. I loved the restaurants. I never expected it to be so good. The food was awesome. The Italian was incredible. Here are some suggestions. At the Italian have the steak and try the lasagna. The Mexican is really good too the fajita's and the salsa are to die for. Paris was really good too… great soups. I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed the food. Really impressed. The pool was so beautiful. You will read that there is only one pool and that’s true but this pool is huge. We had met 4 other couples there and not once did we ever bump into each other at the pool it was so big. Really pretty at night. The beach... Well the beach... What can I say it was blue water and white sand. Just amazing. So much room and so many chairs. It is truly breath taking. The staff there are so nice. There is a towel hut and there is a guy there by the name of Jose, he is such a happy guy always smiling. Oh something else about the food, in the afternoon there is a bbq hut, the pork chops and chicken are really good. A really good drink is the bannana mamma. They also have champagne so you can make mimos's. They do have Absolute Vodka. When you get there and check in they will give you 3 pre made reservations for the restaurants. Ours where made for every other day so we only had to book two dinners our selves. I thought that the reservations were going to be a pain but they werent one bit. It was very easy and you can eat at your favorite place as many times as you please. There is nightly entertainment. The beach bar is a nice place to hang out with your friends. Oh the Casino, we went one night and ended up spending $300 and thats just cause we are gamblers but if you ask me you can always do that at home. We played the bingo game there and didnt win. I would suggest not to spend your money at the casino but on some of the stuff the vendors have instead but totally your decision. The vendors come twice when I was there. YOu dont get things dirt cheap but for a good enough deal. Always knock off 70% off what they are asking. So something is $100 offer them $30 and go from there. We went to the market down the street. It was good, we got a few things. They do get very excited to see you though and it can get annoying after 30 minutes but that a market for ya. Things dont get dirt cheap unless you go into the city. On the beach they come by with parrots, two monkeys and a lizard for pictures. I did all of the them and it was great. They take great pictures. The disco was fun we only went one night and had a fun time. I never had the omelette there but my partner said they were really good. This resort was big and beautiful the people were great and enjoy life, the pool was huge and gorgeous at night, the beach was breath taking, the food was soooo sooo good. I would recommend this place to anyone. If you are a easy going, not hard to please kinda of person you will have a great time like I did. If you cant deal with a little smell or marks on the mirror then I would suggest upgrading your room. We got to experience a tropical rain storm when we were there. It was really cool. It just rains for like 5 minutes and stops and its so hot when it happens. Really feels nice. the weather was always hot hot hot. Not that humid. I hope you enjoyed this review and i hope that you have a great time on your trip.

Pritika

Sc Breezes Punta Cana

by laura&martin

Hi,

I'm off to the Breezes Hotel in Punta Cana in the middle of June. Could anyone reply to me and let me know what they thought the hotel was like? Also, what's the food and drink like and do you have any tips? Finally, what's the beach like?

I'd really appreciate it if someone would send me a reply. Thanks guys.

RE: Sc Breezes Punta Cana

by curlyq

this is a great resort, its huge with lots of things to do. gratuities are included in your package, however it is always appreciated to tip the maid or someone else who has made your stay extra special before you depart. you will meet friendly people everywhere you go. have a great time.

RE: Sc Breezes Punta Cana

by ainsleigh

My boyfriend and I went to Breezes Punta Cana last February and had a WONDERFUL time. The hotel is very open-air, and we didn't see a single thing that turned us off from the hotel itself. The food is good, and the beach is breathtaking.

Some tips I could give you are first, not everyone speaks English there, so a lot of smiling and a bit of Spanish will help. Second, make sure to go to the beach market, about 30 mins walk down the beach from the resort; I hated the bargaining with sales people, but got some beautiful souvenirs... I would have liked to see more real Dominican culture, so take any tours you are offered to see the landscape, or cities. We took a tour and it was the highlight of our trip.

I could tell you a lot more about the place so feel free to contact me if you have any more questions,

HAVE FUN!!