Cabeza de Toro, (formerly Sunscape Punta Cana), Punta Cana, Caribbean

Costs 28% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

Nice time at Dreams Palm Beach

by TripAdvisor Member mac18

We just returned from Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana a week ago. We have been to Punta Cana before and stayed at the Majestic Colonial, which we loved. Overall, our time at Dreams Palm Beach was nice and we enjoyed our holiday. We arrived late on our arrival date because of flight delays and cancellations at the airport. When we arrived there were only two people working at the desk so it took quite a long time for everyone to be taken to their room. Unfortunately, some of the rooms did not have keys made up at the time of check in as the computer system was "locked" according to an employee at the front desk. We were told that a guard would need to let us into our room for the night, but that a key would be ready for us first thing in the morning. The key was in fact ready for us early the next morning and the staff apologized for the inconvenience they had caused. We were happy to receive the key as we did not want to have to get a security guard every time we wanted to enter our room.

We stayed in a Deluxe Tropical Room on the third floor in Building 7. The room was equipped with a new King sized bed, new plasma t.v. and dvd player, fridge, safe, coffee maker and alarm clock. The room was newly decorated and very clean. The bathroom was also very clean. However, it did not look like the bathroom had been renovated like the rest of the room. Nevertheless the bathroom was still fine and we were quite pleased with our room. The room was missing small things like a converter for the dvd player and t.v., but otherwise was in good condition. We did not have any problems with our room throughout the trip. The air conditioning worked well and we had a good supply of hot water. There were no bugs in our room. Our room was made up daily usually before 2:00 - 3:00 p.m. We only received turn down service once, but this wasn't something that we really cared about.

The hotel grounds were beautiful and very clean and well kept. There was never garbage lying around the pool and the staff did their best to clean up plates, glasses etc. The pool was very nice and not too noisy. There were activities for guests to participate in such as aerobics, water polo, dancing and spanish lessons etc. However as noted by others, one problem is finding chairs to sit on. By mid morning all of the chairs are reserved, even though most of the time no one was occupying them. This was frustrating at times. Sometimes there was also a wait for towels, usually this wait was between 30 minutes to 1 hour. However this seemed to only happen at certain times during the day; mainly around 1:00 p.m and after this there were more towels. This only happened a few times during the trip. The beach was also very nice. Out of the three or four hotels surrounding Dreams Palm Beach, I would have to say that Dreams had the nicest part. However, if you walked further down the beach to the left, the beach was much nicer and there was no seaweed and the water was crystal clear! There were also lots of beach activities to participate in such as kyaks, catamarans, snorkelling, water trampoline etc.

There were a few stores on the resort as well. Most of the stores sold souvenirs, but there was also a jewelry store and a convenience store where one could buy food, medications, sunscreen etc. We did not buy anything from the stores during our trip, but they were nice to look in and the staff were friendly. We enjoyed swinging on the swings outside of the stores. There was also an internet cafe. The price for internet was about 4 dollars American for 15 minutes. This seemed overpriced to me for only 15 minutes. However, the internet was quite fast and worked well. We didn't spend too much time on the internet, but I would suggest investing in wireless internet in your room if you plan on using the internet a lot on your trip. Otherwise it can get quite expensive!

The food at the resort was quite good. We ate at the Japanese restaurant, the Mexican restaurant, the Italian restaurant and the Seaside Grill. We also ate at the buffet several times during our trip. Out of the a la cartes, we enjoyed the Italian place the best. There was a good variety on the a la carte menus and even if you are a picky eater, you should be able to find something to eat. The service in the a la carte restaurants was very good and we had no complaints. The buffet food was also quite good. There was always a variety of foods to choose from. For example, at breakfast there was always fresh fruit, yogurts, an array of cereals, breads and pastries, omelet stations, pancakes, waffles, bacon, fresh cheeses, breakfast potatoes and vegetables etc. The service at breakfast was not as good at other meals. This may have been due to the time that we went at; usually around 9:30 or 10:00 a.m. At times it took up to 10-15 minutes to get a cup of coffee or tea. We had no problems with the service in the buffet at lunch or at dinner. At lunch and dinner there was also quite a variety of foods to choose from such as fresh pasta station, fresh seafood and fish, salad station, mexican stations (i.e. make your own tacos), pizza, lots of selection of vegetables and meats, cheeses, desserts and lots of fruit. There was also always an array of breads. For children there were also choices as well such as hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken fingers, fish sticks, pizza, french fries etc. Overall, I would have to say that the food at the a la cartes was better than the buffets, but the food at the buffet was also quite good for an all inclusive resort. You should be able to find something to eat, even if you are a picky eater as a I noted above.

We liked the fact that there was a coffee shop on the resort. It was nice to sit in there and drink a cup of coffee. There were lots of different drinks to choose from such as expresso, hot chocolate, capaccino, mocas, cold coffee drinks, and an array of teas to name a few. There were also always fresh pastries such as muffins, croissants, cookies & cakes. The staff in the coffee shop were very nice and the service was good.

We didn't drink too many drinks from the bars, but the drinks that we did have were good. The service at the lobby bar was probably the best and the drinks were also the best here. We did hear that one day they ran out of vodka, but we did not experience this on the trip. All of the alcohol is premium brand, if this is something that you like. The bars also made hot drinks such as coffee and tea, for those who are interested. The bartenders all work very hard and were very nice and friendly. We did not have any problems with the service at the bars. We did not stay up too late, but it did seem that the lobby bar got crowded at night. During the day there were plenty of seats for everyone at the lobby bar. I cannot really comment on the nighttime however.

We didn't go to many of the night shows, but we did go to the one on new years eye and it was fantastic! Dreams really went all out to ensure that everyone had an enjoyable new years. They had party favors and there was also several fireworks at midnight. We enjoyed New Years Eve at dreams a lot. The entertainment team this night was great! In terms of entertainment we also went to the Casino. The Casino was small. I didn't play any games their except the slot machines. Regardless, it was still fun.

Overall, our time at Dreams Palm Beach was nice. We didn't have a problem with our room, but it does seem that they only renovated certain parts as previously mentioned. Although we did not experience any problems with our room, we can understand how frustrating it may have been to have been switched rooms, experience flooding, leaks etc. Overall, the service was quite good, except for some days at the buffet. The grounds were very nice and the restaurants were good. We didn't have a problem with the food. The pool and beach were beautiful. One thing to mention is that the resort really needs to work on speeding up their check in and check out service. There always seemed to be lines to check in and check out. We experienced a long wait at both check in and check out. Hopefully with time and further training this will improve. In summary, we would rate this as a 4 star hotel. The hotel has the potential in the future to become a 5 star hotel but needs to work on the aforementioned areas. Although we enjoyed our time here, we probably would not return.

Dreams Palm Beach Adventure or Nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member ozarkone

12/30/08

Just returned from the Dreams Palm Beach property in DR. I will start with saying that the staff in general were very friendly and helpful. They just have to deal with a not up to par yet property.

Quick version:

1. Property was not ready yet. Wait a few month!
2. Restaurants were fine. Service people are just learning.
3. Beach was good but (limited beach chairs)
4. Pools were very cold and (limited pool chairs)
5. For Apple Vacation customers it really only a 4 or 5 apple!
6. Main nightly entertainment is a joke.
7. Save your money don't buy the preferred area upgrade!

Highlights:

1. Beds are comfortable.
2. Espresso place.
3. Very nice people in general.

Dreams missed the mark on this property. Will damage there reputation!

Long version:

We arrived late on Sunday the 28th. Check in was quick and we were taken to our room right away. The room seemed fine upon initial entry. While the bellman was telling us about all the great things about the resort. I walked into the bathroom and noticed that there was sewage in the shower. When I pointed this out to the bellman he called someone and in a minute or two there was one of the concierge's in the room. Didn't remember her name but she is in the photo's. She assured us that it would be taken care of and asked if we had dinner yet and what we would like and then whisked us off to the Italian restaurant. It was late around ten o'clock. and they are usually closing down but they stayed open for us by her request and said when we return to the room all will be well. After a fair dinner we returned to the room and all was cleaned up and bleach was in the air. We decided to retire for the night. When I went into the bathroom again around 2:00 am someone must have flushed in the above room because there was more sewage in the shower again. So we called again and they told us this time that there was nothing they could do until the morning. The next morning they changed our room and Ricardo who is one of the concierge's at the preferred club apologized over and over for the problem. He gave us a free upgrade to preferred club status. But the new room had a smell like construction glue and or epoxy paint. Ricardo gave us a half a dozen incense sticks to use and said the smell will go away soon. Well it didn't! We spent most of our time out side of the room anyway so we thought it would probably be OK. But the fumes seemed to intensify. I woke up the second night about 1:00 am and could hardly get my breath and my were eyes watering. I wondered out to the preferred club veranda by the office and tried to sleep on a small couch and chair. Needless to say I didn't get much rest that night. By the morning I felt much better. Ricardo saw me on the couch in the morning and offered to move us again. So the next several hours again were wasted on waiting for new keys getting the safe reset and moving again. The room Ricardo put us in had to be one of the best locations poolside ground floor ocean view, because his boss was not happy with him for giving us this room. He offered to give us a free message at the spa if we would wait a few more hours for another room. I declined and took a nap. We left the room later for the day and had a great time at the preferred beach and pool areas. Returned to the room to clean up to go to dinner. Upon returning to our great new room location. We noticed standing water all over the bath room area. I looked it over and saw the cause was a leaky ballcock assembly. We let them know about the problem but they didn't do anything about it until the next day when I stopped back at the room and a maintenance man was working on the toilet. We returned to the room again around 4:00 p to shower for dinner again. The toilet had been reset and re-plastered into place but the leak was still there because he didn't replace any of the parts in the tank. So with no tools I bent the sticking ballcock and adjusted the water level stop. The leak went away but the room had not been cleaned yet. It was finally cleaned around 5:30p The last day we had a 9:00 p flight out. So I asked for a late check out because check out is 12:00 noon. Riccardo's boss I think his name is Hilario who was very curt said NO. I didn't want to waste time talking to a wall, so we planned on being out around noon. Returning to the room late morning after spending time on the beach we were going to pack after a shower and spend the next six hours homeless wondering around. But when we went to take a shower there was no hot water. So we told them and they explained they were having trouble with replacing a pipe that was leaking. We explained that we had to have a shower. They offered us a courtesy room if we needed to shower in another building. We waited until they fixed the pipe and hot water was restored. Well that was how we spent most of our holiday vacation at this property dealing with problems!

Sunscape Punta Cana Grand 2002

by Canada_Guy about Sunscape Punta Cana Grand

Would recomend to anyone this all Inclusive Resort !!!

- Geat Service
- Clean Rooms
- Good Food Marina in Next to Resort

Living a Dream at Dreams Palm Beach PC

by TripAdvisor Member GimmieBeach

After paying for a wedding(which can be costly on it's own) my wife and I decided to book our honeymoon at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana. Being a relatively new hotel we really didn't know what to expect ,all we really knew was the price was right! and we arrived on Christmas day.

Let me first knock off the two and only things I didn't like. First we arrived tired from the flight and were desperate for a shower and a nice bed to lie on, when we were told our room wasn't ready and ended up waiting three of the longest hours of our life. I chalk this up to the hotel just opening and not everything being ready. I can see this problem disappearing in the future.Second the food was good, but my stomach just got tired of it after a few days and I found myself not really wanting to go to the buffet anymore. This might be me being a picky eater cause most people I talk to there seemed to enjoy it.

Things I loved

The Staff - I've been to the Ritz Carlton in Maui and thought after that trip I would never get service like that again. but I was wrong. The staff at Dreams Palm Beach is like nothing I ever experienced before they made me feel guilty at times with their hospitality and kindness. These people know how to treat someone and make your trip an unforgettable one. I really mean it when I say the Dominican people are some of the most kind fun people I've ever met. Bless you all.

The Beach - Being a self proclaimed 'Beach Bum' the beach was very important to me cause I knew that's where I would spend most of my time. The Beach directly infront of the hotel and other neighboring hotels wasn't as good as I wanted cause of the seaweed and just over all busyness and activity. But if you walk left on the beach from the hotel for about 10 - 15 minutes the water becomes cleaner and cleaner and there you can find a fantastic place to sit and enjoy the beauty of this Island. The water here is virtually seaweed free and you can take some postcard like photo's from here. To me this was heaven!

The Room - we ended up getting the 'Deluxe Tropical View' in building 6 room number 6313 on the third floor. This room was immaculate with a nice big king sized bed right in the middle. The shower worked fine the toilet worked fine the TV worked fine (but really, who goes here to watch TV?) Our fridge was stalked every day with bottled water soda/pop and juices and our room was cleaned twice a day by the most polite friendly people you'll ever meet. The view here wasn't the best but it did give me and my wife a bit more privacy then say a room with the a pool view. Being on the third floor was also a bonus cause to the lack of mosquitoes we encountered.

The Food - This hotel has a Buffet for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and four restaurants that only serve dinner. The Buffet isn't bad but like I said it wore on me after a few days. The Restaurants were all pretty good with the Japanese being the best (make sure to order the 'Tai Roll' delicious!!) My only complaint really with the food is I wish they had a Dominican restaurant or served some of the native dishes at the Buffet. I think that would give people a better Idea of the culture of the place.

The Entertainment - DPB puts on a show every night for everyone. With music, Comedy and sometimes just plain silliness. I loved the energy the staff shows when performing and found myself enjoying watching every night! I was here on New Years Eve and they had quite the party with fireworks and everything. Best New Years of my life!. Hats off to the entertainment staff.

Overall - this hotel is one of the best I've ever stayed in. I have no doubt that your every need will be met.

Occidental Allegro - Punta Cana

by OSpencers about Allegro Punta Cana by Occidental

This is a beautiful hotel facility. The grounds are well groomed and the beach is awesome. We traveled in May, the second rainyest month of the year. This is definatelty off peak time the hotel was maybe half full. Air Canada has a huge presence at this hotel, but many Germans and French people come here on holiday. Punta Cana in general seems to be more favored by Europeans than Americans.
Hotel service was very good. Air-conditioning did go out for 1 night, but with cieling fans wasn't too bad. Food was OK you can always find something good to eat at the buffet and the a la carte resturants were really good. Menu items are not prepared as you may expect the same items to come in the US. Not at all bad just done differently. If your a picky eater you may not do well. Never knew that there were so many way to prepare banannas. The breads are awesome!! The bakers here really know what they are doing. Lots of fresh fruit and some very elaborate friut displays.
The beach is great. There are lots of chairs and if you want a palapya you need to get out by 8 or 9 and reserve one with your towel or bag. There is some seaweed that accumulates, but there are workers cleaning it up everyday. If you bring a bananna or bread and throw some small bits in the water you will get a lot of fish to come to you.

CAUTION to AMERICANS: There will be topless sunbathing!! I've read a few reviews on some other sites complaining about this. If you don't like topless sunbathing, men in Speedo's, or kids playing without suits don't come to Punta Cana. Personally it's nice to see normal people who aren't up tight about thier bodies. Yes most are normal people, not many model types (there are a few!!).

ANYONE WALKING THE BEACH AREA WITH A NOTEBOOK OR BINDER IN THEIR HAND IS GOING TO TRY TO SELL YOU SOMETHING!!

Overall we enjoyed the resort. This was our first trip to an all inclusive. I think we would do all inclusive again and may even look for an Occidental resort but go elsewhere just to compare the experience. We went for our wedding aniversary. My wife wrote to the hotel and got us an upgrade to a beach side (almost a beach view) superior room at no cost. We did have to fax a copy of our marriage licience to confirm the info.

The nightly stage shows were great and the entertainment staff works very hard.!! Could be a little loud if you turned in early, most events were done by 11.

Bring more essentials ,like sunscreen, with you than normal. If you run out there is a souvenir, cigar, photo, and sundrie store at the hotel. The are EXTREMELY expensive. A tube of sunscreen will start at $20 and up from there. Other snack and essentials are sold for equally high prices.

Two times per week the hotel has vendors set up in the courtyard by the pool and buffet hall. I found this super annoying!! These guys made the beach flea market seem like girl scout camp. Everyone was on you to "look" at their wares. "Cheapy ,Cheapy for you my friend." "You look for free!" There was no way to get to the buffet hall or pool bar without dealing with them usually by saying no thanks two or three times. The prices these guys offered were astronomical. My wife had a couple drinks and tried to deal on some work carvings and didn't do well. Many many sellers would try to guilt you about being a "Rich" person on holiday and don't sweat a couple dollars.
Another annoying feature of the hotel was the"information" booth conviently located at evey bottle neck in the resort. These are actually sales people for the Occidental Club to get time shares. They do also sell on the beach. The watersports booth and the Occidental club are the only people allowed to sell in the beach chair area. On the beach front you will also be approached by the watersports staff, Occidental time share, and locals selling shells, hair braiding, and the like. Not too bad as to distract from the beach. Just say no thanks and they go on thier way.

Palm Beach up and RUNNING!

by TripAdvisor Member Kramer007

Went to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Dec 28-Jan 4, and only one word describes the trip - Fantastic!

Had regular (not preferred club) garden view room in building # 1 (3rd floor).

Arrived at resort in the early afternoon, the room wasn't ready, however being the seasoned traveler that I am - swimwear, sandals, and towel were in my carry-on. We ended up getting our room around 5pm, luggage was locked in a secure room and you're not going to sleep when you get there. The a/c works really well in the rooms, had to shut mine off a couple of times. I also recommend bringing a clock alarm, the room has a clock/alarm/ipod dock but trying to figure the alarm out wasn’t easy.

Staff are waiting for another shipment of room key cards from Mexico, so for the next couple of weeks, you'll likely only get one card for your room.

The resort is gorgeous and the staff were very pleasant to deal with and most were fluent in English.

No wrist bands and no reservations for a la cartes. There are 5 restaurants, all of them are very good, if I had to rank, I would put Surfside 5th, French 4th, and Asian, Mexican, and Italian tied for 1st.

We typically went for dinner around 7:30 - 8:00pm (party of 6), two nights we were in right away the others we had to wait for 30-60 minutes, but they give you a pager to take with you so you can sit/relax or head back to the lobby bar.

The World Cafe (buffet) had a great selection of food, and there was never an issue with finding a seat. Staff great you at the entrance and sit you in a section, you can also request a section and they will accommodate you (I recommend Hector's area in the mid-left seating area), he's better than any server I've had before. In the restaurants, buffet, and bars - if you want to tip a particular server it is best to give it to them directly. Most times, there are a number of people working in the area (water, bussing, serving, ect....) and if you leave a tip on the table, it may not go to who you intended it to go to.

I was never asked for a tip, nor did I feel the need to tip any of the staff at the resort, however when you gave a tip you could tell it was genuinely appreciated.

It rained a couple of mornings for about 15-20 minutes, but apart from that our whole week was SUN SUN SUN! Ran out of sunscreen on day 3; bring extra as a small bottle of Coppertone in the gift shop is $18 US.

There is no real need to change currency, I used US the entire trip. Just outside the front gates and down 2 blocks is a small market with about 20-30 shops filled with souvenirs. Everyone is trying to get you in their shop and trying to keep you there, make sure you hit 4-5 shops without buying so you can get some baseline prices, then start to haggle them down aggressively (60-80%). It was safe to walk to the market, they had a washroom area but its not pretty and I doubt there was any toilet paper.

Rooms were cleaned everyday and maid service (room food service included) were very good. The mini-bar wasn't restocked everyday (3 out of the 7) but you could call and they would send someone right away.

Our safe (error coded) on us on day 6, and we couldn't open it; front desk sent someone immediately and the problem was corrected in less than 15 minutes.

Animation staff were enthusiastic, there was no shortage of activities (volleyball, bocce, aerobics). The nightly entertainment isn't very elaborate and you can tell that as the weeks go one this is one area that will only get stronger.

The beach grill (burgers/dogs/fries) was a must in the early afternoon, however the lunch buffet was also good - so we were constantly torn on where to go.

There is a surf shack on the left side of the resort by the beach, where you can book different excursions, make sure you haggle a bit with these guys too. We ended up parasailing and got them down from $50/person to $40/person.

Our Sunwing rep (Ryan) was always at the resort in the mornings and late afternoons and was very helpful. He helped coordinate an excursion between a group at our resort and another resort down the coast. He’s a great resource for questions or advice, and did a great job.

Don’t buy cigars at the resort, they are a complete rip-off, if you have an hour to kill talk with your travel rep about the cigar factor tour, its not far from the resort and the prices are more than half what they are at the resort. Bring cash if you can, the cigar factory (which also sells rum, coffee, and other tourist souvenirs) charges a % for using VISA.

New Years Eve was a blast. The restaurants had special menus – delicious. Then they had bars and music set-up around the pool and on the animation stage. The rums were strong, champagne was flowing and we danced till midnight. 20-minute firework show started when the clock struck and we rang in the New Year in style. The fireworks were pretty good, and afterwards the disco was jam packed until we left sometime around 4am.

I heard some people complain about slow service from our resort, one gentleman was giving the front desk a hard time about not having a room when he arrived, and another was ripping into a staff member about not getting a poolside lounger. Frankly I felt the service was fast and courteous, and to see tourists acting like complete pompous a$$es with a sense of entitlement was actually embarrassing. I could tell that getting all worked up over something so minor was likely going to set their whole trip off, not sure if its really worth it.

I'm totally depressed not being there anymore, and wouldn’t hesitate going again.

Highly recommend - 5 out of 5

Newest Resort

by kwikwit about Sunscape The Beach

I recently traveled to Punta Cana for a 7 day stay. This is a new resort. We had a fantastic time. Be prepared to overlook the small stuff and you'll be fine. The staff were remarkably friendly and bent over backwards to make our stay memorable.
I did as much research online thru Debbie's Dominican Republic page which proved quite useful with information . It was well worth the money to go. A bit secluded but great place if you need a get away. The lazy river pool ran the length of the resort. The beach chairs were plentiful and never a problem.Our room was spotless and the bed turned down each night with candies or fresh flowers on the bed. Nothing was bothered by way of our personal items.
For the most part the food was great. Be prepared to
eat a lot of fresh fruits, vegetables and fish. However, it was all in abundent quanity.

Great place for families

by TripAdvisor Member Leah2013

Visited the new Dreams Palm Beach Jan 2 - 9 and was overall impressed with the resort. The staff were very friendly and eager to please and the rooms were beautiful. I saw 5 of the rooms and they were all identicle to the ones shown on the website. The bathrooms have not been renovated however, but they are clean and do the job. We had no problems with the rooms but anything we may have heard from others was minor and was dealt with immediately. Night life is very weak here as it is catered to young families with children and the entertainment definitely has a long way to go. Entertainment team was a lot of fun in the day and there were lots of things to do and participate in. Food was mainly excellent and the French restaurant was definitely an agreed hit amongst our party and many others we spoke with. The beef napolean and onion soup were great! The buffet was amazing, they offer so many different foods at every meal and even change the menu each night to offer different world cuisines. Some food items were cold when they brought out fresh trays, I guess they use the warming plates to heat food up once it's out for serving. Fresh fruit was usually amazing and they DO have fresh sqeezed orange juice available at the breakfast bar which was very nice.
This is a fairly small resort so no matter which building you're in it is very close to the beach
I do not recommend this resort for singles or young folks looking for more socializing.

Lacking many simple things

by TripAdvisor Member Louis_9

Dec.28th -Jan.4th we just got back . The resort is beautiful and clean,the staff is extremely friendly and will go out of there way to make you happy. That is about the end of my good remarks. They over booked many rooms and gave new people checking in keys to our room twice. So always put the chain lock on! Many things didn't work like many toilets and our safe, there were also ants in some rooms. There is a problem there with people saving lounge chairs and towels. Or maybe there just isn't enough to go around. Expect the staff to enter your room 4 times a day. Once to make the beds, once to replace towels, once to stock the mini fridge and once to turn down your beds. The beds are not very big. Really to small for two average sized people. We used Apple vacations and they were very good at helping us out. Also the group with the hotel taking pictures were very good.

Dreams more like nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member sbruce02

We just got back from this resort. It is a two star at best. There were so many problems small and large that I could not list them all. I am not a picky person and could probably have slept on the beach all week, but if you pay for a 4-5 star resort, you would expect better.
The resort is not ready to have guests. Most families waited from 3 to 8 hours for a room. We saw and spoke to about 20-30 families over the first two days having the same problems as us. We arrived at 2 and got a room at 7:00pm. Some did not get rooms until 12:00 in the morning. They had no room keys so they told us to get a guard to open the doors. Trying to find a guard when you needed was a chore. We had three rooms. No A/C in one, the fan in the second room made so much noise that we could not run it while in the room or at night, no control of the A/C in the third (50F or 80). They ran out of beach towels several times a day. They ran out of vodka several times and we had to wait til the next day. You need to get up early to get a lounge chair on the beach and even earlier to get one at the pool. We saw many argument about stolen chairs. The food is just average. Getting reservations at the habachi tables in the habachi restaurant is a trick. You need to get there by 5:45 and wait until 6:30 when it opens to get in line to make reservations for 1 of the 9 seating available the entire evening. The wind here was 20-30 miles per hour with rain every day but that was not their fault. However, dozens of rooms had the roof leak over their beds and complained parts of the ceiling were falling on them as they slept. The halls are always flooded during the rain. Two inches in our room by the door. My sons room door would not lock and we had to wait two hours for a repair man to come fix it. The state of the art Gym is a small room with 1960 bar bells. Our three rooms had no cable TV however I did figure out how to connect them myself and program the TV channels. There were no towel racks or toilet paper holders in the bathrooms. No handles on the shower or toilet doors. Room service was non existent unless you called several times. Rooms were made each day by 6-7:00pm. We always were out of bath towels. We had suites (Preferred Club) but there were no drawers to put our clothes. My wife kept hers in the night table drawers and I used my suitcase. The floors in the rooms and parts of the lobby are smooth tile that were like sheets of ice when wet. We fell or slipped many times. Watch for parts of the sand that has cement chunks exposed (that hurt). Looks like left over from construction. One of three Hobi sailboats were broken making lines very long making there first come first serve policy anoying. We had to stand there for up to 1-2 hours to get the next available one. Well I could go on forever but this should be enough for you to make your decision. There are too many great resorts out there to waste your time on this one.

Allegro Punta Cana BeachAllegro Punta Cana Beach

pool at the sunscapepool at the sunscape

Punta Cana or Puerto Plata

by toseroff

We are either going to stay at EMI Sun Village Resort in Puerto Plata or LTI Resort in Punta Cana. We are not sure which to choose and after reading all the reviews I am even more lost. Sun Village sounds like a nicer resort but we are more beach people than pool people. I need help to make this choice. Please.

RE: Punta Cana or Puerto Plata

by Halin

Punta Cana has nicer beaches. But it can be a bit windy. Often a younger more party crowd goes to Puetro Plata. But both are a fine choice.

RE: RE: Punta Cana or Puerto Plata

by travelingal

I can't speak for Puerto Plata, but my husband and I stayed at the Sunscape Punta Cana and it had a very nice beach. We rarely went to the pool since we can always go to a pool, but a beach like that was a treat. Nice palm trees really added to the beauty and provided much needed shade. I don't remember it being windy, but it's been a couple of years since our trip. Before our trip I had read some complaints about weeds in the water, but I didn't encounter that problem.

Another nice thing about the Sunscape - it was a very manageable size and you didn't feel lost at the resort. Some of the resorts down there are huge, and just getting around to the different restaurants and activities took a long time.

Punta Cana: 1st trip ANYWHERE

by 1stVaca

I am going to be in Punta Cana on February 5th until the 12th. I will be staying at the Sunscape Punta Cana Grand. It's really my first trip anywhere ever. I was just wondering... what is the dress code (mainly for evening I suppose or the restaurants) Do I need 10 day outfits and 8 nights outfits with shoes to match and 12 swim suits like everyone tells me?!? lol Are long pants a necessity at ANY given time of the year. I know it's all inclusive, but you should still tip.. how much is appropriate? I will almost be alone, is it easy to find things to do that dont always involve water sports?

I'm a mess! If anyone can help that would be appreciated.

Re: Punta Cana: 1st trip ANYWHERE

by temi

Welcome to Virtual tourist!

First of all, NEVER overpack!1 You'll regret it at the airport where you might be charged for overweight luggage or when you have no space to pack all the things you have bought while on holiday.

Most people dont even wear half of the stuff they pack as while on holiday, you want to be as comfortable as possible.

pack a pair of comfortable walking shoes for touring, and going out shoes and the rest is up to you.

remember, practical!!

most importantly, enjoy your holiday.

anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Re: Punta Cana: 1st trip ANYWHERE

by Adidi

haha... noo!! those are liers!!! LOL!!!
We do look at people and gossip about clothes, but you're not gonna be in the capital city dont worry.

Dressing code is really casual in hotels, maybe three pairs of pants and different blouses will do good for the night club in the hotel (some hotels dont even bother with dress code) long pants aint needed.... NEVER! you can use mini's and shorts and whatever you want, personally i only have ONE bathing suit and i always use it, thats an exageration what they told you (LOL).

Tip in all inclusive hotels are not common, 100 dollars would be more than enough for all the tips in the whole week (just if you really want to tip).

Im sure you'll find salsa and merengue lessons daily in the hotel, its fun. The animation crew always makes sure to keep tourist busy and not specifically on the water.

Anyways, feel free to PM if you need some more information.
Take Care!
Adriana, La Misma.

New to the Dominican - what's the best area?

by TropicalGirl2

It's very overwhelming to pick an area to stay in the DR - which resort area is the best? I'm a single female in my late 20s and will be traveling alone. What is the best area of the island to focus my resort search on? I'm looking for the area with nice beaches but also where things might be a little more lively (although I don't necessarily have to leave the resort), where there will be more single travelers as opposed to all couples and families..
Thanks for any advice! (resort recommendations are welcome as well!)

RE: New to the Dominican - what's the best area?

by allie2241

I am also planning a trip to the DR (in April.) I'm a female (early 30's) travelling alone. I've searched all over the internet for resorts for singles/adults and didn't really have a lot of luck. I am looking for some beautiful beaches and fun nightlife that's not too crazy or crowded with spring breakers. I work with someone from the DR and she says that Punta Cana/Bavaro has absolutely beautiful beaches, but that Susoa has more of a nightlife. I am looking into resorts in Punta Cana. I have found some pretty good deals on Sunscape Punta Cana Grand (AI). The reviews I've read were very good. The reviews say that it is a good resort for couples, singles and families. So yes, children are allowed. I got a quote of (around) $1100.00 for 5 nights, all inclusive departing from new york (April 18).

I've also heard that the Palladium resorts are good. All of which allow families. Hope this info. helps. If you hear of anything, please email me. Thanks.

RE: RE: New to the Dominican - what's the best area?

by TropicalGirl2

Thanks Allie.. I will check out that resort. I think I'm going to do Barcelo Bavaro Beach though...also good reviews.. 4 resorts in 1..

RE: RE: New to the Dominican - what's the best area?

by kwikwit

Hi there., Hubby and I found a new resort thru vacmart.com and are going to dr in may. Check out www.sunscaperesorts.com/dom.rep. the beach. We got a 7 day all in clusive plus travel insurance and everything included for 1857. which I felt was a good deal. Also, this is a new resort just opened in November and 5 star rating.

Comments