Grand Oasis Punta Cana

Tags

Family Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Wine Tasting
See Amenities

Worst Hotel Ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 24, 2008

Rooms
We stayed at the Grand Oasis Punta Cana in room 8700 in May for a week. We were originally given rooms 5210 and 5212 when we arrived but because the paint was peeling off of the walls and both refrigerators were not working we were switched to another room. The other issue was that we were given these rooms and when we double checked our paperwork we noticed that we were supposed to have a 3 bedroom apartment (which is why we got room 8700). You would think that they would have just given us the right room from the start but that didn't happen.

The 8700 room was not ready for anyone to stay there. There was a towel soaking up the leak in the closet from a broken air conditioner which means that some worker knew that there was a leak.

This place has some upgraded rooms which are pictured on their site but be wary of the bait and switch. When you get to the resort you will find that if you want to stay in these rooms the guys at the front desk will ask you to pay an additional $50 per person per night to stay in these rooms. Most couples I saw paid it because the standard rooms were in such bad conditions. On a 2 week vacation that is another $1400...unthinkable.

The electricity went out in the resort on our last day and we were told that the entire area was having problems but when I went to the Sunscape hotel next door the electricity was working there.

Restaurants
The food was absolutely horrible and there were many fruit flies in the Windows Restaurant and other restaurants as well. Usually when there are this many flies around there is definitely a cleanliness problem.

Bars
Extremely slow service at the bars...very strange considering how many bars they have

Beach and Pools
This is probably the only good thing about the place...many activities at the pool and activity staff seemed to be the only ones working.

Grounds
Not so impressive...have been to a ton of other places and this place was not as well manicured as the rest and the only animals they have are roaches, flies and mosquitoes.

Staff
One of the vacation club employees tried to sell me marijuana. The hotel replied that the vacation club members are not part of their staff. That is pretty ridiculous.

One of the cooks in the Windows Restaurant tried to sell me a necklace. Which means that he would have left his area where he was cooking to get a necklace and try to make some money. What is going on at this place???

The workers at your Spa are extremely lazy and do not want to work either. I visited your spa 4 times over the span of 3 hours in hopes of getting a spa treatment and was turned away several times and told that there was no one available to help. When they did find a person to help her that person said that she was too tired to do anything. It was one excuse after another excuse to not work.

Departure and Check Out
I decided to cut my vacation short and leave a week early but since I prepaid they needed to have a copy of my credit card to refund me the additional week. The week after I got back my bank called me up and told me that someone tried to use my card in Miami. This is the only place where I used this card because I paid for the next hotel with another card. Please be careful.

Conclusion
My biggest concern was the vulgar language being used by workers of all levels at your resort. Since I understand Spanish I was able to figure out exactly what they were saying but having to listen to that kind of language is offensive and shouldn't be tolerated.

I feel as though we were under unsafe and unlivable conditions for the majority of our trip. Most of the workers at this resort are also very lazy and seem to just be hanging out socializing as opposed to doing their best to make their client's stay as good as could be.

I have never had a worse vacation and given the reduced amount of time provided for vacation in the United States it is a greater loss for us to have gone to your resort than just financial.

I would never go back to this resort or any of its affiliated resorts even for free.

Paul Scally's hideout

by written on October 16, 2005

Having just been released from prison, my fashion sense is not exactly 'Jonathon Ross' so I was delighted that even in my stained 'Cosmosis' shorts and my 'Video killed the radio star' T-shirt I still looked much better than the American tourists in the hotel.
The food is amazing and I recommend the Chicken soaked in Sambuca which is served in the Tex Mex and if your adventurous- the goats plums are absolutely delicious!
I was disapointed that the local lager resembled Fox urine so my drink of choice became the 'Pukemonger' cocktail, beware- 3 of these babies is more than enough as my friends 15yr old daughter discovered when she was found collapsed on the beach! haha

Unique Quality: The maid service is fantastico!! No matter how big the stains were in the toilet bowl, they were always removed!
The barman are the freindliest we've ever encountered but watch out for Cheesy Keith (I think his real name is tongo)- his pratical jokes nearly resulted in my wife having a prollapse!! But slip him a dollar tip and he will make your drink that little bit stronger!

Directions: Middle of nowhere- turn left at the lights

Greatest Show on earth!!!

by written on October 9, 2005

Me and my partner Jeff decided on this hotel after seeing the lazy river! When we arrived we were shown to our magnificant rooms with a big double bed. After changing our underpants we made our way to the bar where we were served by a handsome young chap called Ponty. We found the service remarkable!
The food service was so freindly that I even expected the waiters to get to work on my sausage for me and after a few glasses too many of wine one night, Managee (our favourite waiter) even helped Jeff get me back to the room safe and he was even still there in the morning! Great service

Unique Quality: Jeff has an infactuation with the movie star Tom Hanks and was obsessed with the idea that he was going to live like his hero's character in the film castaway for a few days on the beach so in this time I was on my own but soon found the other holiday makers so friendly that I was invited to dine with them. I met two dashing men from Miami who we used to take long evening walks together in the bush!
I have to say though I was disapointed with the sea. I love the ocean but was appalled by the behaviour of 3 cockney gentlemen who decided to shout "SHARK" whenever I managed to get 30yrds from the shore, bringing me too such a panic that one day I actually lost my speedo's and had to use a palm tree leaf to keep my modesty! This "Shark" prank occurred for a few days before the gentlemen left.
I have to say, Jeff and I loved it here and are allready discussing our return.

Directions: Beach resort

Good place to be

by written on November 6, 2004

Hi everybody, me and my friends just got back from Hotel Sunscape and we had a blast.
The hotel was amazing and staff was very nice.
Food was good, nobody got sick. I agree about the Tex Mex restaurant ... you must try the chicken faghitas. It is delicious!
There were great shows in the evening. We even participated in one and that was fun. The animation team was great. Always lots of stuff to do. We really liked those guys. Especially Rigob. He was the max. Tell him we are doing our best to make him president of Belgium ;o) LOL.
THANKS VERY MUCH
Anyway ... if you do not know if you are going or not: don't hesitate, book the trip and have a good time ...

Enjoy

Unique Quality: Very good food.
Good animation

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Punta Cana Travel Forum

Need advice about Punta Cana, Dominican Republic? Visit the Travel Forum for Punta Cana and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Punta Cana hotel reviews

Airport transfer in Punta Cana
Prestige Limousine Service
Fast and courteous
Transportation
Where are the artists to paint it?
Supreme Snorkeling & Outsatnding Safari
Prestige Limousine Service
Couples only Club
Nightlife
Car rental in punta cana
Punta Cana Airport Transfers
punta cana airport transportation
punta cana airport transportation
NEW RESTAURANT IN PUNTA CANA.. BAVARO
Restaurants
fun buggy Punta Cana
Things to Do
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)
Great chill out spot
Caribbean Festival Dance and Snorkel
Punta cana International Airport
Taxi Fares
Transportation
You have to visit Chichen Itza!!