Grand Oasis Punta Cana

Satisfaction Average

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Worst Hotel Ever

Rooms
    We stayed at the Grand Oasis Punta Cana in room 8700 in May for a week. We were originally given rooms 5210 and 5212 when we arrived but because the paint was peeling off of the walls and both refrigerators were not working we were switched to another room. The other issue was that we were given these rooms and when we double checked our paperwork we noticed that we were supposed to have a 3 bedroom apartment (which is why we got room 8700). You would think that they would have just given us the right room from the start but that didn't happen.

The 8700 room was not ready for anyone to stay there. There was a towel soaking up the leak in the closet from a broken air conditioner which means that some worker knew that there was a leak.

This place has some upgraded rooms which are pictured on their site but be wary of the bait and switch. When you get to the resort you will find that if you want to stay in these rooms the guys at the front desk will ask you to pay an additional $50 per person per night to stay in these rooms. Most couples I saw paid it because the standard rooms were in such bad conditions. On a 2 week vacation that is another $1400...unthinkable.

The electricity went out in the resort on our last day and we were told that the entire area was having problems but when I went to the Sunscape hotel next door the electricity was working there.

Restaurants
    The food was absolutely horrible and there were many fruit flies in the Windows Restaurant and other restaurants as well. Usually when there are this many flies around there is definitely a cleanliness problem.

Bars
    Extremely slow service at the bars...very strange considering how many bars they have

Beach and Pools
    This is probably the only good thing about the place...many activities at the pool and activity staff seemed to be the only ones working.

Grounds
    Not so impressive...have been to a ton of other places and this place was not as well manicured as the rest and the only animals they have are roaches, flies and mosquitoes.

Staff
    One of the vacation club employees tried to sell me marijuana. The hotel replied that the vacation club members are not part of their staff. That is pretty ridiculous.

One of the cooks in the Windows Restaurant tried to sell me a necklace. Which means that he would have left his area where he was cooking to get a necklace and try to make some money. What is going on at this place???

The workers at your Spa are extremely lazy and do not want to work either. I visited your spa 4 times over the span of 3 hours in hopes of getting a spa treatment and was turned away several times and told that there was no one available to help. When they did find a person to help her that person said that she was too tired to do anything. It was one excuse after another excuse to not work.

Departure and Check Out
    I decided to cut my vacation short and leave a week early but since I prepaid they needed to have a copy of my credit card to refund me the additional week. The week after I got back my bank called me up and told me that someone tried to use my card in Miami. This is the only place where I used this card because I paid for the next hotel with another card. Please be careful.

Conclusion
    My biggest concern was the vulgar language being used by workers of all levels at your resort. Since I understand Spanish I was able to figure out exactly what they were saying but having to listen to that kind of language is offensive and shouldn't be tolerated.

I feel as though we were under unsafe and unlivable conditions for the majority of our trip. Most of the workers at this resort are also very lazy and seem to just be hanging out socializing as opposed to doing their best to make their client's stay as good as could be.

I have never had a worse vacation and given the reduced amount of time provided for vacation in the United States it is a greater loss for us to have gone to your resort than just financial.

I would never go back to this resort or any of its affiliated resorts even for free.

• Paul Scally's hideout

Having just been released from prison, my fashion sense is not exactly 'Jonathon Ross' so I was delighted that even in my stained 'Cosmosis' shorts and my 'Video killed the radio star' T-shirt I still looked much better than the American tourists in the hotel.
    The food is amazing and I recommend the Chicken soaked in Sambuca which is served in the Tex Mex and if your adventurous- the goats plums are absolutely delicious!
    I was disapointed that the local lager resembled Fox urine so my drink of choice became the 'Pukemonger' cocktail, beware- 3 of these babies is more than enough as my friends 15yr old daughter discovered when she was found collapsed on the beach! haha

Unique Quality: The maid service is fantastico!! No matter how big the stains were in the toilet bowl, they were always removed!
    The barman are the freindliest we've ever encountered but watch out for Cheesy Keith (I think his real name is tongo)- his pratical jokes nearly resulted in my wife having a prollapse!! But slip him a dollar tip and he will make your drink that little bit stronger!

Directions: Middle of nowhere- turn left at the lights

• Greatest Show on earth!!!

Me and my partner Jeff decided on this hotel after seeing the lazy river! When we arrived we were shown to our magnificant rooms with a big double bed. After changing our underpants we made our way to the bar where we were served by a handsome young chap called Ponty. We found the service remarkable!
    The food service was so freindly that I even expected the waiters to get to work on my sausage for me and after a few glasses too many of wine one night, Managee (our favourite waiter) even helped Jeff get me back to the room safe and he was even still there in the morning! Great service

Unique Quality: Jeff has an infactuation with the movie star Tom Hanks and was obsessed with the idea that he was going to live like his hero's character in the film castaway for a few days on the beach so in this time I was on my own but soon found the other holiday makers so friendly that I was invited to dine with them. I met two dashing men from Miami who we used to take long evening walks together in the bush!
    I have to say though I was disapointed with the sea. I love the ocean but was appalled by the behaviour of 3 cockney gentlemen who decided to shout "SHARK" whenever I managed to get 30yrds from the shore, bringing me too such a panic that one day I actually lost my speedo's and had to use a palm tree leaf to keep my modesty! This "Shark" prank occurred for a few days before the gentlemen left.
    I have to say, Jeff and I loved it here and are allready discussing our return.

Directions: Beach resort

• Good place to be

Hi everybody, me and my friends just got back from Hotel Sunscape and we had a blast.
    The hotel was amazing and staff was very nice.
    Food was good, nobody got sick. I agree about the Tex Mex restaurant ... you must try the chicken faghitas. It is delicious!
    There were great shows in the evening. We even participated in one and that was fun. The animation team was great. Always lots of stuff to do. We really liked those guys. Especially Rigob. He was the max. Tell him we are doing our best to make him president of Belgium ;o) LOL.
    THANKS VERY MUCH
    Anyway ... if you do not know if you are going or not: don't hesitate, book the trip and have a good time ...

Enjoy

Unique Quality: Very good food.
    Good animation
    Staff was very nice
    Pool was great

More about Grand Oasis Punta Cana

Sunscape is spectacular.

Since August 2002 I had heard and read all the reviews about Sunscape...more than 95% were raves and the few negatives were to be expected. There is no doubt in my mind that Sunscape has found a niche in the resort industry of rehabbing smaller and more compact resorts and Americanizing them for the North American trade. A vacationing British gentleman at the resort said that "he came to Sunscape because Americans have higher standards". My reason for booking Sunscape was not because it was Americanized, but because it was not a mega sprawling resort. Twice we had been to the Casadel Mar in La Romana for that particular reason and it is now called Sunscape Casa del Mar..yipee.. Many people we have met also avoid larger chains that require trams, jitneys or long walks to take them place to place. Three times in the past we had been to the city of Santo Domingo, once to Puerto Platta which I hated..lol. Twice to the! Casa del Mar in a Romana and two years go to the Catalonia Bavaro which we liked very much except it was another sprawling resort. So, we aren't any strangers to the Dominican Republic and our expectations of the newer all inclusives and we do our homework way ahead of time before booking a resort. Let me tell you about our incredible experience at Sunscape In Punta Cana. If Rod Gahr, General Manager of Sunscape had ever gone to a hotel and restaurant management school he would have been told....you can't do what you want to do!! As a result of his working his way up he has learned what guests really want. He is a "hands on" person and is available to guests, he loads luggage as guests depart and thanks each and every one of them. He walks around giving out red gummy bears to guests and staff alike.. Rod doesn't hide behind a locked door.ARRIVAL: On Sunday, February 9th at 12:45 p.m.: We were greeted with s!miles and welcomes by the frontdesk staff and as reported it is true with warm chocolate chip cookies and rum punch with Caren, the Director of Public Relations adding rum for those who wanted it. Many people from our GWV group received their rooms immediately. We were told as others that our rooms would be ready at 2:00 p.m. so we went to lunch at Windows and had a drink. Two o'clock arrived and everybody received their room except us and we were told a great room was being prepared, but we would have to wait until 3:00 p.m. We had been up since 3:00 a.m. and I was not a "happy camper". I happened to talk to Jessica, the Guest Relations person, and she promptly talked to the front desk and assured us the room would be ready in ten minutes....thank you Jessica....it was. When booking the room we had asked for a second floor and king sized bed. We were taken to what I judged was the most wonderful locat!ion...Building #3 and Room 3220 which overlooked the pool and beach. The new mahogany four poster king sized bed (with two swans made from the towels and flowers) and the furniture represented the mahogany wood the D.R. was famous for. In the bathroom there were huge white fluffy towels and lo and behold not one, not two, but three facecloths and the amenities of large week sized shampoos, conditioner and bath gel. How many times have been to resorts and have had to bring my own face cloths . I do bring my own shampoo and conditioner and bath gel as a rule. On the large balcony was a sturdy pull out clothes dryer (I always bring clothespins and liquidsoap) Yes, we were off to a great start. Sunday night about 7:30 we headed towards Da Mario's. There were people waiting outside and we put our names in. When we asked about how long the wait was the young man told us to "keep coming back and checking". This from what I had read was n!ot the Sunscape Way. We headed to the Tex-Mex Restaurant where I had the ribs which were delicious. MONDAY... we were up early and as I had read almost all chairs in the shade are hard to come by, but we lucked out as all the other chairs in the shade under the palapas had been taken by 7:00 a.m. In mid-morning I spotted Rod Gahr and Johny Mendez, the Food and Beverage Manager walking around. early in the morning. Not being the bashful type I told him as far as I was concerned I would like to be moved to the Catalonia Bavaro down the road I was quite unhappy and told him why. He turned to Mr. Mendez, the Food and Beverage Manager and told him to take care of the problem at DaMario's and he apologized profusely for our inconvenience and long wait for our room. He guaranteed we would love the resort and that evening we received a lovely fruit platter and a personal letter of apology from him which was the proper way to handle an!unhappy guest. The rest of the week was filled with pleasant suprises beyond my expectations.."Things" happened that we had never seen at any other 4 star resort and let me tell you about them. POOL AREA: The pool is divided in two by a woodenbridge and on the "deeper" side was the very activepool bar and little kiddies pool which was actually being used. On the activities side was the palapa withthe towels and bulletin boards noting activities for that evening and movies. We never ever had a problem with replacing our towels, probably because we took the dirty ones to the room and replaced them in the a.m. Around the pool where we sat from 8:00 a.m. to at least 4:30 p.m. there was always something going on. Music was not loud and obtrusive as we have found in other places. There was the usual volley ball, wateraerobics, kayak fights, dance lessons, spanish lessons, step aerobics etc. etc. Large yellow floats! were put in the pool in the a.m. One morning I noticed several children hoarding one or two of the floats under their chaises.. I don't know who, but somebody from the staff nicely (I heard him) ask the children to use them or put them back in the pool and they did. Adults and children alike took turns sharing the floats and it was never a problem..nice to see Because this is a family type resort there were many children and it was wonderful to see them playing with their new friends. One little girl from Holland was included with two American and one British girls and by hand gestures and whatever they made a happy quartet. I even heard one girl thank three others for being her friends for the week, wasn't that sweet. The children I knew through their families would go off with Paulina doing kids stuff and one morning they had a volley ball game in the pool and another a treasure hunt and their team came back with T-shirts. Another afterno! o!n we noticed a little fake Dominican Hut beingput up and decorated with palms. They had brought in coconuts and had a Coconut Party around the pool. They broke them open and filled them with a coco loco drink and Caren again was there to add rum for those who wanted it. Dominican dancers were there to provide the entertainment and dance with the guests and give lessons. There were plenty of coconuts to go around and everybody seemed to enjoy this wonderful event..One afternoon chocolate chip cookies were passed around and another day or two although bars were just steps away drinks were served to guests by staff members. The Animation Staff under the direction of Adrian Gutierrez is always there working and one in particular draws my praise..Chookie (I hope that ishow his name is spelled)., the first day I saw this plus sized man start to do water exercises I thought..wow...the hospital isn't that faraw! ay..Surprise...he gave a great work out..at least 30 minutes and never faltered. One day he walked around talking to all the guests around the pool and with us was a new guest, a little girl. Chookie welcomed her with a chuck under the chin which brought a smile. Amazingly, a few days later when he walked around he asked where the little girl was, now that is amazing..Tuesday and Fridays the parrot men come around to take pictures of the guests posing with the birds. Since my name is Parrot Mom and I do own parrots I was quite anxious to meet the parrots and learn how and where they came from. Eduardo the photographer did not just take any old picture and was quite creative and is an excellent photographer. He told me about the birds that they rent per day and how they are taken care of. For whatever reason I adopted the charming Eduardo as "my son". There was a different photographer with the handler on Friday and it was a one two three deal and the developed pictures that were for sale showed the difference. Yes, I bought a cute silly candid picture from Eduardo. Now, I must tell you the negative side of the pool area. if you want shade you must get up before 7:00a.m. to reserve your spot. There was ! gentleman who had a small baby and little toddler and he explained he needed the shade for them. There was a woman in a wheelchair whose palapa was saved by her family. Personally, I've had basal cell and also need shade and I had to get up early and do the same thing. The last full day were were going to be there I was determined after being out in the sun too much to reserve a special spot. The spot the family with the baby had used this spot for several days and had left the day before. On the whole we found people very respectful of the reserved spaces and the morning I knew they were gone I happened to be up at 5:45 and in the pitch black of the building and pool area I groped my way downstairs with towels and cover-ups to reserve the much desired spot. I moved the lounges into the area only bumping into the security guard coming and going and I wonder what he thought. Interesting enough the some of the same spots were ! c!overed with towels early in the a.m. day after day and privately I think I know how and why, but my lips are sealed. There was an incident where a husband had reserved one chair for his wife near us under a palapa at 7:00a.m., she had developed sun poisoning. When she went out to get the chair it had been pushed out into the sun by four non-english speaking guests who gestured they knew nothing about it. Two other chairs under a palapa with towels of guests I had met had their chairs pushed into the sun also by other non-english speaking guest. I do understand that people from other countries do not require the "space" around them and felt they have the right to "share" your space. Sadly, many of the saved chaises were not utilized until late afternoon. A woman told me that her chair and her friends chair under a tree on the beach had the fate of having her items dumped and the people know knowing a thing about it. Managem! ent is definitely aware ofthe problem and it was mentioned at the Cocktail Party. This problem is not unique to Sunscape and the solution maybe easy. At the Casa del Mar around the pool are four huge canopies that hold at least two dozen chaises so there is never a problem getting a place in the shade. There has to be a solution whether there are more palapas installed or perhaps one or two canopies on either side of the pool.. Guests on vacation should not have to get up at 6:00 or 7:00a.m. to find a place in the shade. Since we are retired I resent having to rise at least two hours earlier so we can find a bit of shade..Another request I've heard from other guests is that additional ladders be put in both sides of the pool. and or a set of steps. There is only one ladder on the bar side and one on the activities side. Small children needed boosts and a woman I talked to with bad knees had a definite problem getti! n!g in and outand needed assistance. BEACH--Don't know what the complaints about the beach were about a little seaweed and the marina off to the side. The boats added to the scenic beauty. We walked the beach daily down to the Allegro Resort and past returning by the way of the vendors. They can be persistent, but telling them I was "just looking" and they took it well. When we did go back to buy and to look for a particular item they were helpful. These vendors are not self-employed and work for a company that puts up the booths so the prices are a tad higher, but they need to make their money too. Between the pool and the beach over the wall is a young man hand painting T-shirts personalizing them. There is a kiddie playground with slides. and other adult games available. RESTAURANTS: WINDOWS; On the first day we had lunch in Windows and were very unhappy. The restaurant is cavernous and dark at the breakfast and lunch we had t! here. One of the joys of a winter vacation is eating on a deck under an umbrella. No complaints about the food being offered or the staff. TEX-MEX: Ate there the first night, great ribs. AMERICAN GRILLE: We never dined there...sorry...it was downstairs from the Tex-Mex restaurant and the same building as the Beach Grille BEACH GRILLE: The next morning we heard about the Beach Grille and headed to there at 8:00 a.m. to sit overlooking the beach under an umbrella. it was pure joy. There is an regular breakfast menu which were able to order from and that was fine and we also had lunch there. There is a waiter who deserves special attention.. I don't know remember his name, but hecomes from Puerto Platta and is easily recognizable because he is bald..Very experienced and delightful..he is also a head waiter in Da Mario's. DA MARIO'S: We spent much time eating there because of the excellent food and service. The secret is to go bef! o!re 6:45 and we usually arrived about 6:30 or 6:15. The food was wonderful, especially of note were their mashed potatoes. It got so that I would order grilled shrimp and instead of pasta requested the mashed potatoes. The food, presentation and service was excellent. I could barely get to the desserts, but if I did...they had a design of a spoon and fork outlined with cocoa powder....nice touch SURPRISES: This is what sets Sunscape apart and above other resorts we have ever been to......MANAGERS COCKTAIL PARTY: Wednesday Night there is a Manager's Cocktail Party in the Lobby. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Rod personally passing around appetizers as was Adrian head of the Animation Team, the Food and Beverage Director and the Chef's. In real champagne glasses bottles of champagne flowed freely. Cruise style Rod introduced his entire staff and the people behind the scenes. He also included two men who were responsible for the sa!nitation and cleanliness of the resort and restaurants. Rod proudly announced that Sunscape had the highest rating of any resort in Punta Cana for sanitation and I didn't hear of anybody getting sick. On the plane a woman told me her husband was hospitalized for two night with foodpoisoning...she was at one of the mega resort..BEACH PARTY: Early on Thursday morning the staff started setting up for beach party in the evening. At least two hundred tables with blue glassware, candles and white tablecloths. The staff had made an lovely arbor of palm leaves to enter the area... I looked around in disbelief and wonderment at the buffet tables set up. Even on cruise ships have I never seen the selection and displays they had. We wondered even at the huge selection of cheeses...all sorts of items being grilled like whole fish and steaks. In the very, very early morning as I enjoyed some air on the balcony I heard the staff cleaning up...The gi!gantic effort of Food and Beverage Manager, Johnny Mendez and his staff in the many man hours of putting up this buffet and then having to break it down and clear the tables, chair and clean the beach for the morning has to be be a Herculean affair..POOL PARTY: Friday morning lo and behold the staff is setting up again around the arbor and pool area for apool party...another incredible buffet. ANIMATION STAFF/SHOWS: Every evening there were great movies on a large screen for kids and have to and many adults alike. Harry Potter, Star Wars, Scooby Doo, 102Dalmations and Shreik. The shows for the adults were fun some of them judged by the staff as "adult"..The children were asked to come to the front of the stage where they were marched off by the staff to have their own party. Before several of the shows the chiildren put on little shows...one was a fashion show..another was the "movng hat".. and seeing Chookie try to explain this game to the children who spoke several languages was funny enough. HOUSEKEEPING: Since our long wait the first day we would put the card asking for the room to be made up immediately..and it was. One morning we forgot and when we returned out room had still not been made. It!'s very possible with the constant coming and goings of guests during the week that additional housekeeping personell should be added. GROUNDS: Since this is an older resort the bushes and trees are lush and kept well trimmed. STAFF: By having the management team that they do at Suncape it is obvious the rest of the staff are "happycampers" and as a result reflect it in their attitude towards guests.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member byvettecoleman

This resort really does deserve it's 5 stars. The resort was wonderful. The staff was so nice. The food was excellent. They had four restaurants and all were great. You didnt have to make reservations at any of them. The shows were spectacular. The scenery was breathtaking.

4get The Rest Sunscape Is The Best!

Before going 2 Punta Cana my Wife & I read alot of reviews on just about every resort in Punta Cana. We wnated to find 1 with a beautiful beach, good places 2 eat & fun activities. We were a bit unsure between a few different ones-but picked Sunscape. Well we are soooo glad we did!! The place was more than we expected by far. The beach was awesome & very clean (unlike the resorts next to us). They had 4 great places to eat (the Italian Rest. was "super"). The activity guys kept you laughing & wanting more. The rooms are nice & maid serv was very good. They have theme parties every night ( beach dinner party for 1,200 was really cool). The nightly shows were a ways from a Vegas show -but still enteraining. The GM is from Canada & really takes pride in making sure everyone (including his employees) are having a great time!! Beach,Pool,Food,Drinks,People,Activities were all great! So if your undecided like we were-do yourself a favor & go to Sunscape!!!!!

It was just okay

The rooms were a little musty smelling, but overall not too bad. The food was not as good as expected. The only decent restaurant was DeMario's, all the rest tasted like cafeteria food. The beach and pool were awesome!! The electric and water turned off once while we were there for about 2 hours, which was inconvenient just coming back for a long day of snorkeling. We were dying for a shower and had to wait until 8pm. Nightlife stinks- not much going on. Next time I visit Punta Cana, I'm staying at the Iberostar. I heard it is amazing!!

Just GO..

I am almost speachless. Sunscape is the best resort that I have ever been to. The food is good. The American Grill serves a great lunch and dinner, from salads to steaks. The Italian place was great, but not the kind of Italian you get in the states. The nightly shows are very entertaining and funny. The rooms are clean and well maintained. they are nothing special but we didn't spend much time there anyway. The staff.... The staff is the finest that I have ever experienced. I would like to thank Popi (bartender) and Eduardo (photograpy) these guys made us feel like we were royalty. The rest of the staff is just as good and treat you like family. The beach is great with plenty of shade for those who want it. The exec staff is very freindly and loves to here your ideas and input. If you like to drink, this is your place. 6 bars, dico, pool bar, adult pool bar. There were kids there, but you don't even notice them. The entire resort is super clean 24 hrs. a day. There are plenty of activities for the energetic or you can just spend your time relaxing on the beach or by the pool. Over all, this place is incredible. If you don't go then you are missing out on a dimmond in the ruff. Just go and see for yourself. We went with Apple Vacations, they were great. Give them a try and have fun!

All Inclusive Punta Cana, R. D.

by Delta70

I organized a group from Puerto Rico and we went to the Melia Tropical and Melia Caribe Hotels were stayed four days and had a wonderful time. And our plans are to go back in October with the same group. Until October prices at the hotels will be cheaper, they will be more expensive after November 2001.

Honeymoon in third week of April 2004- Punta Cana- Grand Paradise Bavaro

by fryguy13

My fiance and I are spending our honeymoon at the Grand Paradise. I am interested in any rating, tips, warnings that anyone could provide. I spent a summer in Belize and a week on Paradise Isand in the Bahamas- so they will be my reference points. We would like to see the culture of the dominican people as much as possible without breaking the bank. We also plan to do some snorkeling, deep-sea fishing, and possibly other adventure type trips. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Honeymoon in third week of April 2004- Punta Cana- Grand Paradise Bavaro

by wishyouwherehere

We got married in Bavaro 8 years ago and we stayed in the Fiesta Bavaro Beach Resort. Bavaro is a wonderfull place and you have chosen to go to the best side of the island. When we went there the excursions where the best we have every been on. One was on a boat which took you to a desserted island, the other was a 8x8 safari which took you into the country side and you saw and met the dominican people. We stopped off at a dominicans house and they invited us in for coffee, be prepared the people there are poor but they make the best of what they have got. We also went back to the Dominican Republic two years later and stayed in Sosua on the other side of the island, this was not very good. Hope you have a good stay.
Thanks
Sharon

Re: Honeymoon in third week of April 2004- Punta Cana- Grand Paradise Bavaro

by lbodnik

My husband an I went to Grand Paradise in April 2002 and we absolutely loved it. We had been to Cuba and Sandals in Jamaica before this trip. The beach is the best I have seen so far. It spans for miles and if you walk far enough you will come across a vendor market (better prices than the vendors on the resort). I also heard from others that you can barter with them. Make sure you bring a bottle opener with you because the drinks in the fridge need one to open them and they do not provide you with one in your room. I did the parasailing and I would definetly recommend it. It is not scary at all and the view is breathtaking. It is definetly a place where you can go and relax on the beach. We found the food to be quite good. If you want to go to the A La Carte restaurants, make your reservations at the beginning of your stay because times run out quickly. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me at lbodnik@mail2catlover.com.

Comments