Playa Bavaro, Higuey, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Venere.com Expedia.com Tingo.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 30% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Sexual Assault by Staff

The resort is beautiful, however, our trip was ruined by Carlos in Guest Services assaulting me. He made an excuse to come into my room, insisting he needed to check how the maids had done, then insisted on having a beer, because work is so hard, despite my asking him to leave many times, and me saying he shouldn't have a beer. He did have one, then when I tried to leave the room, he came behind me and grabbed me. I told him to let go of me and ended up prying his hands off of me. When I left the room and stood outside, telling him to leave, he tried to get me to come back inside, and saying I only didn't like it because he's black. I filed a report - and had to give my testimony twice - yet two days later, when we finally left, he was still working. Women, be careful, and be very careful of your daughters.

• Worst experience ever

Iberostar has a huge waterfront property on Bavaro beach in Puntacana. Basically, it has four five-star hotels sitting along the sea shore not to say about luxury residences and apartments (Iberostate). The two of the hotels: Puntacana and Dominicana share the same pool, beach, buffet/beach restaurants, bars but have different lobbies. The rooms are situtated in the two large prison type 4-stories rectangular buildings. The pool and a small park are squeezed in between.

The Iberostar Bavaro hotel is situated next to the Dominicana and has its own lobby and buffet restaurant (not shared with other Iberostar hotels). It also has its own pool and beach. The accomodation is in 2-story 8-room duplex buildings (casitas).

The a-la-carte restaurants, beach restaurants, entertainment (animation) programs, activities and facilities (spa, gym, casino, shops strip) are shared between the 3 hotels. Therefore, the variance between the 3 hotels is mainly in which building you are accomodated.

ACCOMODATION: 3 stars.

The Iberostar Dominicana is probably the lowest-level accomodation offered by Iberostar and is normally cheaper compared to Iberostar Puntacana (similar 4-story building) and Iberostar Bavaro (8-room casitas). The rooms are quite outdated and falling apart though the paint seems to be recent. The furniture is dated late seventies. The closet was occupied by ants. The shelves and drawers were dusty. The ice bucket was full of black mold inside. The bathroom was also occupied by little ants. The faucets and plumbing were of good quality however they have seen better days. The receptacles in the room were broken and the lamp electrical wire was sparkling. The air conditioner leaked on the floor at the entrance so we had to keep a towel on the floor before it was fixed by a technician.
    There was a cable TV in the room. Most of the 50 channels are in spanish, there are very few english channels. Additional channels are available for an extra fee. We didn't watch it a lot because the TV-set was very old and was not working very well. It also had a very little screen (16"?). The safe in the room is extra. The Iberostar-branded shampoo, conditioner and shoe-shine supplies are replenished every day. The minibar (Brahma beer, Dasani water, Coke/Fanta/Sprite) is refilled every other day.

STAFF: 3 stars

Some of the staff are very friendly (usually the ones who sell you something) and the rest are very unfriendly. Never a smile. The worst impression is from the staff working in the lobby bars. They don't really care about what they do and how they do it. It looks like they are somewhere else at the moment or very tired of their work. I have seen a glass of water delivered with someone's lipstick on it to a client. It was replaced immediately when the client noticed that but who knows how clean the other glass was. You better order in spanish because nobody speaks english well enough to understand.

RESTAURANTS: 3 stars

There were a lot of large flies on the food stations, especially on meat products so I did not bother making a sandwich. The staff didn't seem to notice the flies. I hope the kitchens were cleaner.

As this is probably the cheapest of the 5-star hotels offered by Iberostar, it seemed to offer the least freshest food among all the four. (we went and visually checked the variety, presentation and quality of food in other Iberostar restaurants). To us it looked as if whatever had not been consumed in the other restaurants the day before was transferred to Iberostar Dominicana the following day. Their salads all looked and tasted very strange. The ingredients didn't seem compatible and the dressings were awful. The tables were full of stuff but there was not much to choose. What we tried was not a 5-star food at all; edible but either very plain or sometimes disgusting. To my taste the coffee was overroasted and thus tasted like coal. Couldn't drink it even with lots of milk. The choice of wine was inexpensive spanish white and red Terra 2008 wine. We couldn't make ourselves drink the white one; red one we drank dilluting it 1:1 with water. The same wine was offered in the a-la-carte restaurants.

BEACH: 4 stars

The beach is crowded but if you walk aside a little bit it gets better. The sand is white and the sea is beautiful. There is a little coral reef good for snorkeling located 30 meters from the shore to the right of the beach. The dive center is conveniently located right on the beach. It offers PADI open water certification - 3.5 days (7 dives; US $510) and various open sea tours (at extra charge).

POOLS: 4 stars

The hammocks are all reserved early in the morning but if you walk around you probably will find some unclaimed. It was a low season though so I think in high season it is worse. The pool is quite large and spacious; it has several pools connected together. The jacuzzies and sauna are available in the spa center (reservation required) at no extra charge.

ANIMATION: 2.5 stars.

We went to see one of the shows - Boogie Night. The animation team tried hard to make it live but a little extra vocal training and music lessons would not hurt. They were off most of the time with music and singing. People were leaving the show 10 minutes after it started.

OTHER:
    No free WiFi. Internet is $13/day (either lobby or in the room). English movie channels - $20/week. The safe in the room - $2/day.

RECOMMENDATION:
    If you're really looking for a five star hotel try Iberostar Bavaro GRAND HOTEL and don't bother going to Iberostar Bavaro, Dominicana, or Puntacana. I wish someone told me that before I came here.

• Marginal Stay

This was our first time in Punta Cana and enjoyed our time tremendously. Its to bad we picked an extremely marginal hotel. We have traveled to many other places and have always had better facilities. My last tropical stay before this one was at the adventura palace in the Riviera Maya which was top rate. Lets start with the good. Beaches were beautiful, some of the best I've seen, always lots of people on the beach, most days we were able to walk out and find chairs and a palapa available, small kids were usually at the pools, Pools were ok, clean but not much going on. No fun pool bars. Went on an ocean party and snorkel event that was a blast. Staff was wonderful, easy to get along with, and worked hard. We enjoyed discussions with the staff and learning about there culture, most of them knew some english. The hotel is nicely situated, grounds are well kept. The negatives are that the buildings, rooms, furnishings, bathrooms are aging and dated. Rooms are kept clean, but not anywheres close to a 4 star. We walked up and down the beach most days and found other hotels much nicer for compairable pricing. The Riu Hotel just to the north looked plush, we walked the facilities and would stay there next time. I am not a food snob, but the food wasn't good, most days you have to eat the buffets which were a grazing zone of strange mixes. You are allowed 3 reservations at the alacarte restaurants, which weren't any better. I enjoy seafood which was some of the worst I've had. Breakfast buffet was a little better. Bars are well situated, next to the beach and also in the main areas, drinks were pretty good. The exercise facility had equipment that bairly worked. Would not recommend.

Unique Quality: Beautiful beaches.

Directions: Middle of Bavaro Beach

• Jersey's New Year

My family of 6 stayed this past New Years Eve 2006/07 (4days) at the Iberostar Dominicana. We love Punta Cana and have been there 8 various times over the past 10 years. It is our favorite family vacation spot. Everyone has raved about the Iberostar resorts, therefore, we were anxious to visit the Ibertostar Dominicana. However, we were very disappointed. It is looking run down. The rooms and hallways need updating. The lobby is not impressive at all compared to all other 7 resorts along the coast we have visited. The beach was the best thing! That section of beach in Punta Cana is beautiful. The entertainment was horrible. On New Years Eve they has rap ganster music being performed. Not a pretty site. We did enjoy the barbeque on the beach but all in all it was the Iberostar at it's minimum. We had to stand in a line for 15 minutes for dinner restervations and could only get a restaurant at 9:30 as everything else had been booked. On our first day, Friday, we found there wasn't much of a food selection and the preparation lines were long. They must be putting all there money into restoring their hotels in the Riviera Maya after last year's hurricane. We enjoyed last year's stay at the Bahia Principee on New Years Eve much better. They are used to accomodating large crowds and had fireworks to boot! We are looking to book our entire family (28 person's) this summer and will not consider Iberostar in Punta Cana as an option.

Unique Quality: beach and beach grill

• GandalfOnTour's Profile Photo

Just perfect

Our stay at the Iberostar was brilliant. My only regret was that it was only for 7 days. We were put up in one of the Junior Suites in the bungalows. These were far more spacious than the guestrooms in the main buildings. The facilities were ideal. There are swimming pools for those who are keen on the sea, for the energetic there is a fitness center and all guests can book a catermaran for a bit of sailing. There is also a spa and whirl pool center and more than enough lounge chairs on the beach. There is a wide range of food available in the buffet restaurants. For the special evenings there are four speciality restaurants, including a steakhouse, a Caribbean restaurant, a Mexican one and a Gourmet Restaurant. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel.

More about Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

HOTEL FLAMENCO BEACH - PUERTO...

by Billie-Girl

HOTEL FLAMENCO BEACH - PUERTO PLATA

Nice hotel, all inclusive.
An Italian, a grill, a beach and a pizza restaurant +
the buffet restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

A very large swimming pool. Nice neighbourhood.
Friendly people. Not too far from the village
Puerto Plate (take a taxi).

HOTEL IBEROSTAR DOMINICANA - PUNTA CANA

BEAUTIFUL HOTEL AND NEIGHBOURHOOD.

ALL IN - FOOD IS DELICIOUS - PEOPLE ARE CHARMING
THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THEN THE BEACH AND THE HOTEL.

Our resort in Punta Cana was...

by Dolphin49

Our resort in Punta Cana was beautiful. Everything was very clean and the grounds were spectacular. We stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana which was a hot spot as we saw many people with bands on their wrists from neighboring hotels. The resort offered many things to do. There is a workout facility, a couple pools (including a child's pool), dance lessons, beach volleyball, diving demos and much more.

Exactly what we hoped for

My husband, 9-year-old son and I returned home to Paris, France on August 8, 2003 from a two week stay at the Iberostar Dominicana. 2 years ago, we stayed at both the Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort (Punta Cana) and the Iberostar Varadero (Cuba), so were familiar with Punta Cana and all-inclusive resorts. Apart from our request for a room change on arrival because there was some noise from the evening show, we were absolutely delighted with our stay. The personnel members were very friendly, attentive and cheerful, despite their long and tiring shifts. Our room was very comfortable. The food was good and the restaurant staff went to great trouble to ensure everything was to guests' liking. The gardens were really beautiful, the home of a variety of birds, including many peacocks. For the first 2 days of our stay there was even a flock of flamingos, but these were then moved, presumably to another hotel. Although the beach seemed slightly narrower than at the Barcelo Bavaro, the numerous parasols were a definite bonus. The high chemical content in the swimming pool caused some keen bathers' blonde hair to acquire a green tinge. But we preferred the beach. We had a great time availing ourselves of the included daily hour using a catamaran. On most days there was a brief, sometimes heavy, shower of rain, but these never lasted and were never a nuisance, refreshing the atmostphere and maintaining the lush vegetation. During our stay, we heard some American tourists moaning about virtually everything.. we totally disagree. We travel extensively as I work with an airline and believe me, the Iberostar Dominicana can stand comparison honorably with other resorts. We may well return.

paradise...but needs a little more Americanized

My husband and I, and six other couples stayed
at the Iberostar Dominicana Hotel from 11/1/03 to 11/8/03. The hotel itself is very nice, clean, and just paradise. The people were very friendly! The only problems that we had were that they cater to the european vistors. The hotel does not cater to the American guest. They donot understand how to change the american dollar. Word of advise, to not bring Traveler checks or think you can use your bank debit card. Best bet is cash. Also if your staying here, bring your own bottled water from home and snacks that you like for your vacation to live on because the food is terrible. I donot mean that in a "bad-mouthing" way. The food is geared for the european guest, and it's quite gross. Ten out of twelve of us got sick. Pack plenty of Amodine AD, and other types of this medicine. Take it everyday whether you need it or not. We all felt that the place would be better if they hired a American chef and crew.The D.R. is paradise. The best place at the hotel was the beach!!!!!!!! We all were just so hungry, that we wanted to go home and order a pizza!!!!

got my $$ worth - in a good way

my roommate and I (2 single females late 20s) just returned from 4 nights at the Iberostar Dominicana - we actually booked into Punta Cana but were given a room in Dominicana - not that it mattered b/c everything was just a brief walk away - we had read all the reviews and came prepared (personal beach towel, insulated cup, tioletries) - check in took longer than it should have (we were told "just 10 more minutes" for about 3 hours) but we took the opportunity to walk around and get accustomed to the layout of the resort - had some lunch at the buffet which seemed to have a few flies by that time (2PMish) - that was the most flies we saw near the food the entire trip - the buffet in the dominicana seemed to always have less bugs and if you sit up front closer to the hot food stations there were even less up there - food choices were always plentiful (breakfast was the best though) although often you are so hot or wary that you don't try it - be careful with your hotel towel - if you are getting up to wander off to lunch return it for the card and get a fresh one ($15 to replace the towel card if you lose it!) - use your personal towel from home to reserve your lounge chair - be sure to drink enough water - everything else there was sickly sweet to drink... although the lemon iced tea resembles snapple if you water it down a bit - we ate dinner 3 nights and managed to get a reservation for a sit down meal every one - all you had to do was ask the day of and be flexible on the time - we went to the steakhouse (good food but it is on the beach so don't wear your heels!) the mexican - food was decent but very bland - we tried to ask for hot sauce but no one seemed to understand - and the gourmet, our reservation was for 9:30 and we didn't even see food or water until almost 10... be prepared to wait at the gourmet one but everywhere else was fairly prompt - a couple we met there said the wife got very sick from the international and considered going to the hospital - even though it is hot there be sure to drink the coffee - best I've ever had!

the room was fine - only saw ants when we brought back our insulated cups from the beach and didn't rinse them out right away - saw 1 huge roach out in the hallway but it was already dead - water pressure was good and we were excited to see some NY channels on the TV - the maid did a fine job of keeping up with our sloppiness - note: if you leave things laying around she will pick them up and organize - to avoid them poking through your stuff be neat! oh and buy your souveneirs from the gift shop at the dominicana as much as possible - everywhere else charges more for the same stuff - and don't be afraid to pet the wild dogs at the flea market down the beach - they are very sweet

oh - but there was NO nightlife whatsoever - the dicso was the size of my living room and just had a few couples and some gay men - the rock star cafe was always empty - of course this is the off season and thats why we were able to get so many dinner reservations - so no complaints overall

Lovely Time

by TripAdvisor Member disneybunny

I have just got back from two weeks at the Iberostar 24/9/03 - 08/10/03. It was just as we expected, I would recommend this hotel and I would go back without hesistation. We could not fault anything. The rooms are so nice and the grounds are superb. If you get the chance make sure you go its amazing

Punt Cana, Republica DominicanaPunt Cana, Republica Dominicana

Republica Dominicana housesRepublica Dominicana houses

Republica Dominicana ShowRepublica Dominicana Show

iberostar dominicana

by buwer

Has anybody had an holiday in Iberostar dominicna? And how was that holiday?

Re: iberostar dominicana

by Dabs

We stayed at the Iberostar Punta Cana which I believe is next door and similar in quality. I would definitely stay there again if we returned. The beach there is gorgeous, the food was good at the buffet, great at the restaurants you had to get reservations at. If you decide to go, do that first thing when you arrive or you may be out of luck.

Not much to do off property, we did an OK snorkeling trip but it's best to pick a hotel that has a lot going on and good restaurants as there is nowhere close by to eat.

The Iberostar PC had sailboats you could use, kayaks, windsurfers, paddle boats.

There's a good website on travel to the DR at http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

Re: Re: iberostar dominicana

by daniellek

I passed by the hotel on a recent trip there. In my opinion, you lose out on a lot of the natural beauty and charm of the country by sticking close to the hotels. Most of my favorite adventures there were off the beaten path- horseback riding and snorkeling (which the hotels can arrange) were much more interesting with a local guide. You can't beat the hotels for convenience, but I'd encourage you to take a couple of days away from the resorts and explore on your own.

Happy travels!