Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

Tags

Beaches Windsurfing Family Travel
See Amenities

Sexual Assault by Staff

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 5, 2012

The resort is beautiful, however, our trip was ruined by Carlos in Guest Services assaulting me. He made an excuse to come into my room, insisting he needed to check how the maids had done, then insisted on having a beer, because work is so hard, despite my asking him to leave many times, and me saying he shouldn't have a beer. He did have one, then when I tried to leave the room, he came behind me and grabbed me. I told him to let go of me and ended up prying his hands off of me. When I left the room and stood outside, telling him to leave, he tried to get me to come back inside, and saying I only didn't like it because he's black. I filed a report - and had to give my testimony twice - yet two days later, when we finally left, he was still working. Women, be careful, and be very careful of your daughters.

Worst experience ever

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 10, 2010

Iberostar has a huge waterfront property on Bavaro beach in Puntacana. Basically, it has four five-star hotels sitting along the sea shore not to say about luxury residences and apartments (Iberostate). The two of the hotels: Puntacana and Dominicana share the same pool, beach, buffet/beach restaurants, bars but have different lobbies. The rooms are situtated in the two large prison type 4-stories rectangular buildings. The pool and a small park are squeezed in between.

The Iberostar Bavaro hotel is situated next to the Dominicana and has its own lobby and buffet restaurant (not shared with other Iberostar hotels). It also has its own pool and beach. The accomodation is in 2-story 8-room duplex buildings (casitas).

The a-la-carte restaurants, beach restaurants, entertainment (animation) programs, activities and facilities (spa, gym, casino, shops strip) are shared between the 3 hotels. Therefore, the variance between the 3 hotels is mainly in which building you are accomodated.

ACCOMODATION: 3 stars.

The Iberostar Dominicana is probably the lowest-level accomodation offered by Iberostar and is normally cheaper compared to Iberostar Puntacana (similar 4-story building) and Iberostar Bavaro (8-room casitas). The rooms are quite outdated and falling apart though the paint seems to be recent. The furniture is dated late seventies. The closet was occupied by ants. The shelves and drawers were dusty. The ice bucket was full of black mold inside. The bathroom was also occupied by little ants. The faucets and plumbing were of good quality however they have seen better days. The receptacles in the room were broken and the lamp electrical wire was sparkling. The air conditioner leaked on the floor at the entrance so we had to keep a towel on the floor before it was fixed by a technician.
There was a cable TV in the room. Most of the 50 channels are in spanish, there are very few english channels. Additional channels are available for an extra fee. We didn't watch it a lot because the TV-set was very old and was not working very well. It also had a very little screen (16"?). The safe in the room is extra. The Iberostar-branded shampoo, conditioner and shoe-shine supplies are replenished every day. The minibar (Brahma beer, Dasani water, Coke/Fanta/Sprite) is refilled every other day.

STAFF: 3 stars

Some of the staff are very friendly (usually the ones who sell you something) and the rest are very unfriendly. Never a smile. The worst impression is from the staff working in the lobby bars. They don't really care about what they do and how they do it. It looks like they are somewhere else at the moment or very tired of their work. I have seen a glass of water delivered with someone's lipstick on it to a client. It was replaced immediately when the client noticed that but who knows how clean the other glass was. You better order in spanish because nobody speaks english well enough to understand.

RESTAURANTS: 3 stars

There were a lot of large flies on the food stations, especially on meat products so I did not bother making a sandwich. The staff didn't seem to notice the flies. I hope the kitchens were cleaner.

As this is probably the cheapest of the 5-star hotels offered by Iberostar, it seemed to offer the least freshest food among all the four. (we went and visually checked the variety, presentation and quality of food in other Iberostar restaurants). To us it looked as if whatever had not been consumed in the other restaurants the day before was transferred to Iberostar Dominicana the following day. Their salads all looked and tasted very strange. The ingredients didn't seem compatible and the dressings were awful. The tables were full of stuff but there was not much to choose. What we tried was not a 5-star food at all; edible but either very plain or sometimes disgusting. To my taste the coffee was overroasted and thus tasted like coal. Couldn't drink it even with lots of milk. The choice of wine was inexpensive spanish white and red Terra 2008 wine. We couldn't make ourselves drink the white one; red one we drank dilluting it 1:1 with water. The same wine was offered in the a-la-carte restaurants.

BEACH: 4 stars

The beach is crowded but if you walk aside a little bit it gets better. The sand is white and the sea is beautiful. There is a little coral reef good for snorkeling located 30 meters from the shore to the right of the beach. The dive center is conveniently located right on the beach. It offers PADI open water certification - 3.5 days (7 dives; US $510) and various open sea tours (at extra charge).

POOLS: 4 stars

The hammocks are all reserved early in the morning but if you walk around you probably will find some unclaimed. It was a low season though so I think in high season it is worse. The pool is quite large and spacious; it has several pools connected together. The jacuzzies and sauna are available in the spa center (reservation required) at no extra charge.

ANIMATION: 2.5 stars.

We went to see one of the shows - Boogie Night. The animation team tried hard to make it live but a little extra vocal training and music lessons would not hurt. They were off most of the time with music and singing. People were leaving the show 10 minutes after it started.

OTHER:
No free WiFi. Internet is $13/day (either lobby or in the room). English movie channels - $20/week. The safe in the room - $2/day.

RECOMMENDATION:
If you're really looking for a five star hotel try Iberostar Bavaro GRAND HOTEL and don't bother going to Iberostar Bavaro, Dominicana, or Puntacana. I wish someone told me that before I came here.

Marginal Stay

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 2, 2008

This was our first time in Punta Cana and enjoyed our time tremendously. Its to bad we picked an extremely marginal hotel. We have traveled to many other places and have always had better facilities. My last tropical stay before this one was at the adventura palace in the Riviera Maya which was top rate. Lets start with the good. Beaches were beautiful, some of the best I've seen, always lots of people on the beach, most days we were able to walk out and find chairs and a palapa available, small kids were usually at the pools, Pools were ok, clean but not much going on. No fun pool bars. Went on an ocean party and snorkel event that was a blast. Staff was wonderful, easy to get along with, and worked hard. We enjoyed discussions with the staff and learning about there culture, most of them knew some english. The hotel is nicely situated, grounds are well kept. The negatives are that the buildings, rooms, furnishings, bathrooms are aging and dated. Rooms are kept clean, but not anywheres close to a 4 star. We walked up and down the beach most days and found other hotels much nicer for compairable pricing. The Riu Hotel just to the north looked plush, we walked the facilities and would stay there next time. I am not a food snob, but the food wasn't good, most days you have to eat the buffets which were a grazing zone of strange mixes. You are allowed 3 reservations at the alacarte restaurants, which weren't any better. I enjoy seafood which was some of the worst I've had. Breakfast buffet was a little better. Bars are well situated, next to the beach and also in the main areas, drinks were pretty good. The exercise facility had equipment that bairly worked. Would not recommend.

Unique Quality: Beautiful beaches.

Directions: Middle of Bavaro Beach

Jersey's New Year

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 2, 2007

My family of 6 stayed this past New Years Eve 2006/07 (4days) at the Iberostar Dominicana. We love Punta Cana and have been there 8 various times over the past 10 years. It is our favorite family vacation spot. Everyone has raved about the Iberostar resorts, therefore, we were anxious to visit the Ibertostar Dominicana. However, we were very disappointed. It is looking run down. The rooms and hallways need updating. The lobby is not impressive at all compared to all other 7 resorts along the coast we have visited. The beach was the best thing! That section of beach in Punta Cana is beautiful. The entertainment was horrible. On New Years Eve they has rap ganster music being performed. Not a pretty site. We did enjoy the barbeque on the beach but all in all it was the Iberostar at it's minimum. We had to stand in a line for 15 minutes for dinner restervations and could only get a restaurant at 9:30 as everything else had been booked. On our first day, Friday, we found there wasn't much of a food selection and the preparation lines were long. They must be putting all there money into restoring their hotels in the Riviera Maya after last year's hurricane. We enjoyed last year's stay at the Bahia Principee on New Years Eve much better. They are used to accomodating large crowds and had fireworks to boot! We are looking to book our entire family (28 person's) this summer and will not consider Iberostar in Punta Cana as an option.

Unique Quality: beach and beach grill

GandalfOnTour's Profile Photo

Just perfect

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 30, 2006

Our stay at the Iberostar was brilliant. My only regret was that it was only for 7 days. We were put up in one of the Junior Suites in the bungalows. These were far more spacious than the guestrooms in the main buildings. The facilities were ideal. There are swimming pools for those who are keen on the sea, for the energetic there is a fitness center and all guests can book a catermaran for a bit of sailing. There is also a spa and whirl pool center and more than enough lounge chairs on the beach. There is a wide range of food available in the buffet restaurants. For the special evenings there are four speciality restaurants, including a steakhouse, a Caribbean restaurant, a Mexican one and a Gourmet Restaurant. The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel.

Nearby Iberostar Dominicana Hotel

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Suites

Punta Cana Travel Forum

Need advice about Punta Cana, Dominican Republic? Visit the Travel Forum for Punta Cana and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Punta Cana hotel reviews

Airport transfer in Punta Cana
Prestige Limousine Service
Fast and courteous
Transportation
Where are the artists to paint it?
Supreme Snorkeling & Outsatnding Safari
Prestige Limousine Service
Couples only Club
Nightlife
Car rental in punta cana
Punta Cana Airport Transfers
punta cana airport transportation
punta cana airport transportation
NEW RESTAURANT IN PUNTA CANA.. BAVARO
Restaurants
fun buggy Punta Cana
Things to Do
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)
Great chill out spot
Caribbean Festival Dance and Snorkel
Punta cana International Airport
Taxi Fares
Transportation
You have to visit Chichen Itza!!
EXCELLENT VARIETY