Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Playa Bavaro, Higuey, Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Best trip ever

great place. right on the ocean. have a long hugh pool. relaxing and quiet on one side. pool event, swim up pool on other side. pool has daily pool side activities. all inclusive best way to go

Unique Quality: everything is
    PERFECT

More about Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Great Punta Cana resort

by molough about Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

It was pretty great. At first they tried to give us a lower grade room than what we paid for. We had to settle for staying in a smaller room our first night but the following six nights we got a gorgeous king size room with a patio that had a jacuzzi. It was flippin' awesome!

Sometimes the food at resorts is subpar, but it was pretty great at Majestic Colonial. They have five restaurants: Japanese, Mexican, French, seafood and steakhouse. The French and steakhouse restaurants were surprisingly delicious.

Their pool is incredible. It kind of wraps from the front of the resort to the beach entrance.

I highly suggest going with an all-inclusive package if you're going to this resort!

We booked this resort through CheapCaribbean.com. I was a little weary about booking through this site, but it turned out great! I was very satisfied.

Great place to relax

by chicabonita about Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

I thought that this resort is already to big, but from other guest who have been in other resorts in Punta Cana I learnt that this one was small!

The resort had 7 different restaurants. For two of them (Le gourmet and the Teppanyaki) reservation was needed.

The beach was wonderful and you could walk for hours! Fanstatic. One of the things I enjoyed most was the daily winetasting. Every day at lunch time Cristian the sommeliere presented different white and red wines as well as a different cheese. Fantastic! It was the first time I tasted a wine from Uruguay! The explanations about the wines given by Cristian were execellent!!!

All in all I had a wonderful time here ...

Majestic Colonial - A wonderful experience!

by TripAdvisor Member KAKCanada

My husband and I just returned from 2 weeks at the Majestic (Jan 6 – 20). After reading some reviews prior to our departure we were quite concerned, but determined not to let anything spoil our vacation. As it turned out, we worried for nothing. Our experience at the Majestic was a wonderful one!

-Check in was a breeze. Even at 4am (Sunwing’s flight times are awful), the hotel had 5 employees at the reception ready and waiting for the 20 or so people that arrived. The lobby has two levels and is very beautifully decorated. The piano bar now has a piano (in case you were wondering).

-Our room was clean and spacious. There were no facecloths, but this being our 4th trip to the DR, we know that there rarely are, so we had brought our own. It is true that the toilet stall is not floor to ceiling and therefore has limited privacy. This was not an issue for us, but may be for others. As for the air conditioning, it was activated only by motion in the room, which was slightly annoying when you were sitting still watching tv (it would turn off) or when you shifted in bed in the middle of the night (it would turn on). We actually got used to this, however the last 5 days of our stay, the AC was on constantly so we suspect the hotel received complaints and responded to them by adjusting it.

-A tip regarding making calls. We thought we would not be charged if we used a calling card to call Canada but the operator at the hotel asked us for the name of the calling card (it was a World Calling Card) and connected us to them and then charged for the connection cost (50 pesos each time). Just ask the operator for an outside line instead and you should be ok.

-Seven shops were open on Caribbean Street. The prices are hotel prices. For example, Pringles will cost you approximately $8 US. Sunscreen is $14 US and up. We discovered the Playa Blanca market just outside the resort. Just walk out of the lobby, down the hotel entrance road and it’s on the right (only a 5-7 minute walk). Also, once a week, vendors come on site and set up tables near the Theatre. Remember, you have to bargain at the market and with the vendors! They will overcharge you just like the hotel, if you let them.

-We recommend venturing outside the resort for at least one excursion. This is the only way you’ll get to see the real Dominican Republic. We enjoyed the Marinarium (http://www.marinarium.com) and ATV excursions. You should be able to book with your on site tour rep.

-The gardens WILL be beautiful. At the moment everything is newly planted, but in a few months it will be spectacular.

-The beach was beautiful and we never had trouble getting a palpa or chairs, though we suspect this may change when the hotel is at full capacity. We did find the water to be very wavy, but still happily swam in it!

-The pool goes from one end of the resort to the other. We enjoyed a swim every day and it never felt crowded.

-We were very pleased with the food. I am a picky eater and I certainly did not starve. The only restaurant we had to make a reservation for was the Japanese. I’m not sure if this will change eventually. Most resorts require reservations at any a la carte restaurants…

-We only went to a couple of the nightly shows. The Michael Jackson impersonator is definitely worth checking out. We were thoroughly entertained!

-The staff was very helpful and friendly. We found that learning a few key words and phrases in Spanish was helpful to us and appreciated by the staff. We ran into occasional language barriers but found that most of the staff spoke some English. These people are some of the most hardworking people you will ever meet. The wait staff begins working long before we roll out of bed. They work through breakfast, lunch and dinner. They work 16 hour days, for 13 days straight and then have 3 days off. They’ve earned our respect and our patience. We were shocked and embarrassed at the way some guests treated the staff…

To summarize, we were very impressed with the state of the hotel considering it had been open for only a month. We saw little improvements every day. We feel that we definitely got our money’s worth.

Majestic Yes

by TripAdvisor Member davechrish

Just returned from Majestic Colonial. Stayed From Jan 14-18. After being nervous reading all the negative report's we were very relieved.

We had a Majestic Jr. Suite with outdoor Jacuzzi and pool access. The room was beautiful!!!!!!!!!!. The Resort itself was incredible. Just Beautiful.

Contrary to what alot of people had been saying. Most everybody that you needed to converse with spoke English. May be learn a few phrases like we did and it helps. Everybody was VERY VERY VERY nice. Alway's said Hola and would help in any way.

We left the maid service a box of chocolates on the first day and tipped $2.00 every other. The room was cleaned thouroughly everyday. Made friends with a couple of the bar tenders and gave them Red Sox Shirts as a thank you, they loved them.

The only complaint that I we have is the food. I did not enjoy the food. But that is just me, and it did not ruin my vacation what so ever.

Bottom line is I would return to the Majestic Colonial

How can I say...Majestic !!

by TripAdvisor Member Illumin��

We just got back from Majestic Colonial on January 10th. We ( 4 adults and one child )where there for one week in their third week of operation and we where amaze of the beauty of this complex. It is true that some construction is going on, but it is only at one part of the hotel and to be honest, when you are at the beach, pool, or restaurants you don't hear a thing. You will be astonish when you get in the looby, it is huge and very very taken cared of. There is two bars, one in the upper level wich is the piano bar even though there is no piano, the other one is at ground level and is very nice too. The cuba libre, santo libre and draft beer are excellent at all the bars (6) and are the drinks are recommend.

I can understand why previous travellers said that even the staff where lost when looking for their rooms, the room numbers have 4 digits, here's how it works...

-The first digit tells wich aisle your room will be, if it is 1 or 4, you'll be facing the exterior of the resort, if it is 2 or 3, you'll be facing the interior ( the bests are 2 or 3 as you'll face the pool wich is 400 meters long.....);
-The second digit tells your floor, 1-2-3 or 4th floor;
-The last two is your room and the higher is the tow last digits, the closer you'll be to the ocean and further away from lobby, reception, buffet.
By the way, they are not aligned, meaning that if your walking ground level and see room number 2134, dont expect to have 2434 in the same building as not all buildings have 4 floors.

The Bavaro beach in Punta Cana is amazing, super soft white sand and blue water, calm breeze in January.....that says alote. I went for the helicopter tour, 1/2 hour, I got to see all Macao beach, Bavaro beach, and both are amazing. Flying at 200 Km/h 10 feet above see level, coast line is an experience a recommend to everybody. I saw images that will stay forever embedded in my mind. An helicopter tour in the Caribean (coast line) is'nt the same than one in Ottawa above the parliement I can tell you that..........

The rooms are very nice, a working jacuzzi, fridge, large balcony, the nicest shower I've been in (all in marble), the toilet lacks of privacy, TV ( bring 2 AAA batteries for the remote controller if you wish to watch TV before going to bed but I'm sure that if you asked the reception, they will give you batteries) The fridge gets filled every afternoon with 2 pepsi, 1 7up, 1 orange crush, 2 bottle of agua, 2 chocolat bars. Their is also one bottle of champagne and one bottle of whisky, I don't know if they give new ones if you drink them all as we did'nt took that opportunaty :). Beds are confortable (their new !!) but the pillows could be better.

The Gym, Casino, Discotheque, theatre where all nice two. The seating at the theatre was the comfortiest seat I've sat in for a show. The set of two chairs plus a table cost like 800$ canadian and there is like 250 of them !!!. The Micheal Jackson show was amazing, for a moment I really thought it was the real Micheal Jackson as we all know how weird the guy is and that he could have decided to produced himself in Punta Cana.......a few santo libre help my thinking that evening too :)))

The food was excellent, we went at Gourmet, Oriental, Caribbean and Grill. It was confusing on the restaurants part as they advertise 5 A la carte, but we manage to find only 4 and the fourth one is like the buffet by the beach. Anyway, it was confusing but we can't say anything about the food as it was incredible.

The animation could have been better even thought the animation staff works their butt of every day (keep in mind that we were there in their theird week of operation).

I'll finish by saying that this complexe will be ......Majestic in a year or two. I can't understand why people would complaint about the vegetation, the little noise with construction, patch work for the grass. You'r in the Caribean, instead go enjoye the beautiful beach, the amazing 400 meters long pool and relax, cause the next thing you'll find out is that your going back home tomorrow. See you next year Punta Cana !!!!!

May Be Outstanding in 2 Yrs

I will give the good news first. This place was without a doubt very beautiful and majestic as the name proclaims, and in 2 - 3 years when they finish all the fine details I am certain it will be MAJESTIC. The staff were all trying so hard to make every customer happy, I will never forget there smiles and willingness to try to figure out what the heck I was asking for since all I could speak was English. Many of the services were not available or open that were advertised. I.E. Spa, gym. Piano Bar, had no piano!!! Restarant hrs were not consistant. When the Spa did open I made an appointment for the first available time which was 3 pm next day. When I showed up for this appt 15 min before the booked time I had to wait 30 more Min till the receptionist informed me that the massage therapist could not be located and was asked if I would like to re-book. We lost all hydor/electricty which took 4 hours and 3 calls to have restored, meanwhile there was water leaking thru the ceiling in the shower, and the water would not drain out of the shower, and at least 2 inches always remained. It took 5 hours to get 2 beers for the mini bar, no face clothes were available only various sized towels, a surprise each day as to how many would be left. There was always a bad stench of garbage by the Ice machines, since this seemed to be a shaded area where the cleaning staff would leave garbage for long periods of time. There was only 1 shop open after about 4 days and it was very over priced.We did have a great vacation inspite of the short comings, but when you pay double the price for the week of Christmas you want everything to be perfect, and for us the people that provided the pool side entertainment such as, Louis and Antonio. They were the best part of every day with all their enthusiasm. Once again I want to mention how great the smiles were on all the personal as they tried to get thru all the trials of this Resort opening up too early.

No need to worry

We booked our vacation in mid December just before they opened, then we started reading the reviews as they trickled in. We were so worried about having a terrible time that we tried to have our travel agency switch us to another resort. Lucky for us it was cost prohibitive for us change. We decided to stay with the Majestic! We went armed with all types of mosquito repellents and bug sprays, also we had envisioned construction debris and broken glass everywhere. Whoever wrote those reviews couldn't have come to this resort!(bugs and mosquitos were almost nonexistent) This place is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Check in only took five minutes. We were pool side in 15 minutes with a drink in hand. The only restaurant that requires a reservation is the Japanese, there is also a French restaurant, a Mexican restaurant and the Beach side restaurant, and finally a Buffet restaurant. Long pants are required for men in the Japanese and the French restaurants, also take note, that infants are not allowed in the French restaurant. The staff were all friendly, and helpful. We went expecting the worst and got the best, if you are contemplating coming to this resort do it soon because this place is going to cost a lot more this time next year!

great vacation

We just came yesterday from the Majestic. I was, like a lot of other reviewers, a bit apprehensive about it. But we had a beautiful vacation in the end. Let's start with the good:
Food was excellent! We've been to Punta Cana 5 times and this was the best food we ever had.
Staff was extremely friendly and made a genuine effort to help. So what if sometimes screwed up and brought you the wrong drinks - they were back with the correct ones in less than 30 seconds!
Rooms were bigger than any other hotel we've seen (including the neighbouring Grand Paradiso and Breezes, where I took a peek)
Buildings and grounds were, well,.."majestic!" (give the grass and flowers time to get established!)
Spa, gym and casino were opened.
Maybe we got lucky, but we had none of the crowds we encountered at other hotels. It was a pleasure not to have to wake up at 5:00 a.m. to reserve a chair on the beach or to rub elbows with the neighbours in the restaurants. And, exept for the japanese one, we didn't have to reserve at any of the a la carte restaurants which, by the way, were all open.
Now the bad:
It is clear that they opened too soon - work still going on (although not that annoying). But things are improving fast - they opened the remaining rooms while we were there.
Stores are not all opened and those who are don't have much and are awfully expensive.
Cleaning staff need more training - the rooms were clean, but the little details expected from a 5 star hotel are not there yet (sometimes they forgot to bring all the towels or to empty the garbage can in the toilet).
The shower-toilet combination are a result of an over eager architect. Completely impractical! As much as I love my spouse of 25 years, I still appreciate some privacy when using the toilet. Not to speak of the smell that penetrates into the room, the toilet not being closed at the top and bottom. The shower is huge, but I would have settled for a smaller one that drains well.
We had to call three times until the air conditioning was finally fixed.
Here you have it! If you are willing to overlook minor defficiencies (after all, you're on vacation, so relax!)you'll have a great time. The important thing is that they are obviously trying to improve every day and will eventually succeed. At the rate they're going, I do believe they will reach the 5 star status by the end of the year.
And don't forget - a couple of tips here and there will definetely give you a better service!

Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

by molough

"Fun in the DR"

I went with one of my best friends, Elizabeth to the DR in May after I quit my job. It was a great relaxing trip. Figures that the New England Patriots cheerleaders were staying at our damn resort. Ugh, they were annoying. But there is definitely a lot of partying in the DR. Put your drinking hats and dancing shoes on, because even if you don't want to party, you can't help it!

"Punta Cana beach"

The beach along the resort strip in Punta Cana is beautifully flawless. We were lucky to be staying at the Majestic Colonial Punta Cana resort because they were one of only a few resorts that had palm huts on the beach for people to use. And trust me, it gets hot so you want a palm hut.

Majestic Colonial

by 1Twotoes

My mother and I are going to the Majestic Colonial for the week of April 24 to attend a wedding. Has anyone stayed there, I have read such mixed reviews!!! Also do we take CDN$ or US$. Thanks for everyone's help

Re: Majestic Colonial

by marielexoteria

US$ are more widely accepted but big hotels should also be able to accept CDN$. As far as I remember it, US$ gave a better rate compared to CDN$ but I might be wrong because I don't use CDN$.

Enjoy your trip :)