4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Mediocre Caribe

Definitely not 4 Star, and not a very good value either. Nice grounds, buildings and beach. Food poor to mediocre at best, "all-inclusive" alcohol was low-grade and not worth drinking. Service was OK if you spoke Spanish, not so good if you don't. You might think they would teach their service staff some English, but I guess they see no need. There is no apparent Management on site, so the employees wander around "going through the motions". We were a family of 14 (including grandkids), and requested that 1 table so that we could all eat together - sometimes they would, and sometimes they wouldn't. They commonly mess up the dinner reservations at the specialty restaurants. We encountered one extremely rude employee on one of those situations, and when I tried to inform Hotel Management I was completely unable to - no one cares to listen. I wrote to Corporate Headquarters, and they don't seem to care either. The resort is very large, so it seems like you spend 15 min each time you go eat, to the beach etc.
    Many of their reviews (on this and other websites) seem to be "manufactured". Descriptions like "Amazing", "Incredible", "unbelievable" don't square with reality.
    It's not that the Melia Caribe is bad - it's just that you can do better.

• Royal Service! Royal Vacation!

My wife and I are returning to Melia Caribe Tropical this fall (this will be our 5th visit) and can't wait to get there. The Melia is a first class resort on the beaches of Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. The "Royal Service" is an upgraded service provided by the resort that is well worth the additional cost. Everyday they would draw a bubble bath for my wife complete with rose peddles sprinkled in the bubbles and around the tub - she LOVED IT. It also included a golf cart ride to and from the beach, dining in an exclusive restaurant, and more.

Melia Caribe is beautiful. Gorgeous beaches, immaculate beautiful grounds, delicious food. But the thing that separates the Melia from all the other beach type resorts is the incredible service from people who work there. A special thanks to Edquardo, the resort manager, for being so accommodating and training an excellent staff, and to Eduardo (who saw to our daily needs like we were his family), and to Jose (our beach bartender who makes an amazing pina colada). Everyone at the resort is amazingly friendly, helpful and accommodating. We love this place so much it is our 5th visit and we are planning our daughter’s wedding there. We promise you will love this place!

Unique Quality: As I said above, the staff was amazing - very friendly and helpful. But the beaches were also fabulous and safe.

Directions: About a 15 to 20 minute ride from the airport.

• Very Bad!!!!!

Very dissapointed with the service received, i was change of room 3 times because my room did not have a telephone, i stay in the third even without that service because i can not accept to be moved for fourth time, i got it 1 hour before my check out!!!!!! Very beautifull and big hotel, but they treat you really bad, i stayed in smaller hotel in La Romana "Catalonia grand Dominicus" and the service was spectacular!!!!!!!!! they make everything to make you feel good and they give you rea Royal Service.... ot like at the Melia Caribe Tropical at Punta cana..,, i guess the bigest is the place the less important are the clients...........

Unique Quality: As a hotel, beautifull, nice view, nice pools, elegant... but........................................... i"m not coming back!!!!!!

Directions: Higuey - Alta Gracia

• Not Friendly

Our stay was not as good as we expected. Definately, this is not a gay friendly hotel. Last week, I stayed with my wife for a week and their employees were rude and very disrespectful towards gay guests. We will not recommend this Hotel and/or any Melia chain hotel to gay people. This is the first time that we were treated so badly. The employees of the hotel should reflect The Melia vision as a vacation resort and if that's the kind of treatment that they are trained to perform with the guests, it is a shame.

Unique Quality: Good shows and good food.

• Bad Trip

I had a week of torture. There are many things I can say about this but not many would be positive. I attended a wedding and some of the guests had Royal Service and I did not. The difference in accommodations can clearly be seen within this chaste system. I would never suggest coming here unless you pay for Royal Service. My room actually had bed bugs!!! Ugh!

My son and his wife had the Royal Service and were pampered. I had blisters on my feet from walking around this resort - they could make a call and have a private taxi. They made reservations for all of us at night because my plastic green "medical bracelet" didn't hold enough clout to get and keep them. Their cute tropical bracelets got them into a private club and beach, along with a terrific room that actually didn't smell like urine. As I stated, if you go, go all the way or nothing. There is no room service for the lower chaste. The buffet was all that is available most of the time and it's terrible. I threw up once and had "other" problems for about five days of the seven I was there.

I would say also that my 7th grade Spanish came in handy. The guests were 95% Latino (Cuban and Dominican) and most of the staff don't speak English. My son (the one who shared my room) was given the run-around as a joke by staff at the beach. They felt it was funny - I did not.

Not a place I would ever visit again.

• Never Again

I would never recommend this resort to ANYONE. In dealing with most of the hotel staff, we found(a party of 18) that if you did not speak the language, you were treated as if you were stupid. Those who did this made no effort at all to even attempt the english language. When people travel to the US, there are so many places for them to go where people speak their language - we are the stupid ones in that respect. We went on an excursion to Catalina Island and were told 1hr and 20 min to get there - 3 1/2 hrs later we got to the island. Supposed to be the best snorkeling in the DR - the equipment looked like it came from the garbage. The bathroom facilities were unsanitary at best - no tiolet seat and one bathroom did not even have a lightbulb. We were only on the island from 11am till 2:30pm. Lunch was dried out chicken on the bbq, pork chops???, and uncleaned craw-fish(we were promised lobster). We boarded the boat to go home left on the boat approx 3pm and we made numerous stops along the way that we were not told about. Back at the Hotel at 8:15pm!!!!!!! I felt like we were kidnapped for 13 1/2 hrs. and charged $130.00 per head for it. Impossible to make dinner reservations no matter how early you called. I would never visit this resort again.

• All Inclusive Last Resort

service was lacking and the rooms were sub-standard. I heard that the experiences in the "Royal Service" side was much better.A lot of the staff treat you in a condescending manner, and it's far worse if you don't speak spanish. It was a hot time of year (June 27-July 1) so the only place that felt truly delicious was our AC'd room (some of the people in our party were having AC problems). Some of the restaurants were too warm to drink wine. And that's even if you had a reservation they actually honored. Most of the time we were arguing with someone about our reservations we set. We had made them before we got to the resort, confirmed them the night before while at the resort, and they still managed to keep us from enjoying dinner where we wanted and when. The buffets were only good if you got there as soon as the food was put out. The mixed drinks were nasty and the wine was pretty bad too. The bars were outdoors and not comfortable at all, unless your idea of comfort is sitting in sweltering heat with no moving air around you. There are not enough huts on the beach to seek refuge from the sun, and believe me you'll need it. After 2 hours, my brain felt like it was frying. There were a lot of activities, amenities, restaurants and just things going on that we never knew about, but heard about on the trolley-train circuit that a resort of that size should at the very least have a print out of what's going on where delivered to their patrons rooms daily. housekeeping was sometimes not until after 5pm. The casino was just about the only place to go at night, but if you don't gamble, you're basically just drinking bad alcohol. All the food at this resort tastes the same - soggy and tasteless. But i heard the Japanese was good, but by the time we were given reservations, i got sick from the food and it was our last night, so i did not get a chance to really enjoy. About 15 people in our party got sick as well.

Unique Quality: Not all the restaurants are opened when they say they are, or at all. They tell you that there is food at night (9pm) buffet style, if the A la Carte restaurants do not have enough room, but if there are private functions going on, you are not permitted to enter, leaving you no choice but to buy potato chips or cookies at the gift shop. There was a couple of times we were at the buffet places ( which is the only place to go for breakfast and lunch) and the place was packed with more employees eating than resort guests, leaving the place cramped for space. There were 60 people in our party, and not one of our groups were given the dinner reservation that was asked for. The resort staff lied to us numerous times about confirming dinner reservations and changing them without our knowledge to suit other guests at the resort. We found out later that "Royal Service" guests were given our reservations.The room smelled really bad too. Like moldy, damp & dirty. The paint on the walls literally comes off with your fingernail, it's so damp. The shower head didn't work. The ATM machine only dispenses pesos at the resort (although dollars are accepted everywhere). Everything at the gift shop is at least double what you would normally pay in the states. The resort only has 2 wheelchairs ( we had one elderly woman and one girl who sprained her ankle getting off the train-trolley there). We were able to use one wheelchair, but could not get another one.And if you are prone to being bitten by mosquitoes, you will be bitten. I came home with 30 bites.they overbook and are poorly managed and admitted to us while we were there.

• best eats

The resort don't advertise it but the best dinner is not at one of the restaurants.
    Just go to the beach side resaurant on the tropical side. There you'll enjoy the best
    grilled lobsters and swordfish, along with steak. All without calling reservations.
    FOr the money , this was a great deal. Not the best night entertainment .

• patricia28's Profile Photo

You will have it all

Just Wonderful, the people is extremely friendly and nice, the hotel is very comfortable, huge really huge, with at least five restaurants and all that you need to rest and have the best time. The hotel has a huge swimming pool with a bar and access to the Bavaro Beach.

Unique Quality: Great food, big rooms, huge swimming pool, entertainment all nights and day, spa, gym, tennis area and golf area.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo

All Inclusive Resort

It is a comfortable resort, spacious enough. It is a resort with 2 Melia hotels - the Tropical and Caribe - that share restaurants, swimming pools and beaches. I think both hotels are just the same quality, only decoration is different.

The rooms have the usual you’d expect in this kind of resort: air conditioned, ceiling fan, mini-bar, TV, huge and comfortable beds, safe box, balcony and a separate area inside the room with tables and comfortable chairs. Room was always clean and we had no problem at all during our stay there.

There are also several restaurants (described on the Restaurant tip) as well as a disco and a casino.

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo

Junior Suites and gorgeous gardens.....

Directly on the Bavaro beach.
    Large swimming pools
    Accommodations were bright, clean
    Elegant cuisine and service \
    Large, white sand beach Tram Transportation Service
    Visible On-site security

Directions: 20 minutes from the Punta Cana Airport.

More about Melia Caribe Tropical

Melia Caribe/Tropical - Good vacation for the money!

by TripAdvisor Member goforthkd

We vacationed at the Melia Caribe/Tropical in Punta Cana during the last week of Aug 2002. I had read many reviews and had mixed feelings going in. Many had said that checking in was a nightmare. We had used frequent flyer miles to get there so check in was not a problem - in and out in 5 minutes. However, if you book your vacation using a charter flight arriving with several other guests, check in will be much longer. Dinner reservations are as other said - must be made asap in order to get in the restaurants. Ma Maison, a French restaurant, is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at in my life. The escargot and lobster thermidor is wonderful. Also, the Japanese restaurant is very good. The buffets are just that - buffet food. While the buffets are not as good as other hotels I've been to, the reservation restaurants were much better than expected. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful - they are maintained on a daily basis. And since the hotel is so large, you must be able to walk a little just to be able to get to a restaurant. The hotel is divided into 2 sections with a restaurant row being in between both. The walkways are very slippery if it rains making it difficult to walk to dinner in heels. Everyone was more than friendly to Americans. However, you should at least make an attempt to communicate in some small way in Spanish. They appreciate that. The only negatives that we had during the week - we both became sick on the last day but it rained all day anyway. We believe it was the salmon we ate b/c we had eaten the exact same meal during the week previously with the exception of adding salmon. But of course, we can't be positive - it may have been b/c we used a lot of ice in our drinks (probably not made from bottled water). Should you want to get money from the bank, you will receive Dominican Pesos instead of American Dollars, making it difficult to get rid of the pesos without spending them should you need the money right before you leave the country. The
et chips for the pesos then cash out into American dollars). And the last thing worth mentioning is that our toilet broke 3 different days while we were there. While they were timely the first time to fix it, they never returned. We fixed it the second time but from then on, we had to reach into the tank to flush it. On the last night we were there, it started leaking from the bottom onto the floor. While this seems to be a major inconvenience, it was not really that bad. And for the money that we spent, the vacation was well worth it. Things to keep in mind: you are visiting basically a 3rd world country. The area outside the resort is just like any other island - peddlers are everywhere. Most are poor but haggling on prices is expected. Learn a few Spanish phrases before you go if you do not know any. And remember to smile - it is a very fun island, you are on vacation - if you expect everything to be perfect, you may be disappointed - but if you expect the overall experience to be enjoyable without analyzing every little situation, you will be very pleased.

Punta Cana Paradise

by htaningcojr about Melia Caribe All-Inclusive Resort

It was an Amazing vacation at the All-Inclusive Resort of Melia Caribe - Caribe Hotel. The other part of the resort is the Tropical Hotel. Large & beautiful landscape - with pools, restaurants, palm trees, peacocks, white sandy beaches, clear blue water, nice staff & overall amazing resort.

Beach at the Melia resortBeach at the Melia resort

melia caribe?

by jpjones

Im hoping that the melia caribe is a good spot to be on valentines day... does anyone know anything about this place or if there is good times to be had by a couple of gentlemen in the area?? hope ta see yas there!!

Comments