Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• total ripoff

Myself and my girlfriend spent 7 miserable days here. We pads for reserve rooms , top of the line and got nothing in return. We were subjected to pedophiles ( older men) with " boy toys". Running around high on cocaine around children and families!!! The first night we were there an older American. Man with a gay "rental date" overdosed and died on cocaine! The date was February 10th 2012 look it up in the police records! They were flaunting their drug fueled gay lifestyle blatantly in front of children and families and our complaint went ignored until he died! All our reservations were screwed up,,, all our poolside service was ignored,,, our refrigerator was broken for 3 days and upon arrival we had to wait 90 minutes in the lobby at 4 pm for our room to be ready! We made numerous complaint to management who ignored us 100 pct until the amex charges cleared and then basically told us to f-o. I wouldn't advise considering this place there are much better newer resorts that make an effort to care about their guests

Unique Quality: It sucked and the staff and management have serious attitude issues

Directions: Next to melia caribe

• Get the all-inclusive package!

This is a fairly new resort with a good layout. We’d recommend you get the all-inclusive package to get the most for your money! We were able to find a great deal through Caribbean-TravelDeals.com. The beach is beautiful, and the open hotel lobby, pool and grounds are great. Staff was friendly, but service was slow at best. Food tasted the same in every restaurant, just like most all-inclusive resorts. The gym is small but sufficient for a workout. We found there wasn’t much in the way of entertainment aside from a small casino with a few tables. All in all the trip was worth it for spending a week on the beach!

Unique Quality: Small gym, beautiful beaches, great pool and grounds

• Paradisus Palma Real -hours of irritation a day

I just hated this place. From arrival to check out, breakfast, lunch dinner, internet access problems, just everything was an ordeal. I spent about two hours each day irritated with somthing about this hotel. Food was second rate. Beef not prime cuts. Chewy. Breakfast- coffee comes around about 5 minutes after you begin eating. No chef to cook eggs to taste, just luke wram scrambled eggs or boiled eggs. Other places offer much more for much less. Plus internet service is not include, $12 for the password and $12 for the cable and then it doesn't work. After a couple of hours of calls and being ignored, intermittent service. Doesn't work when you come back at night nor does it work in the morning. And this is just a taste of the problems with this resort. "last resort" would be a better description. When it was time to leave I could not even trust the staff to take my luggage to the lobby since it took them 2 hours to do it when Ii arrived. The room was nice and the individuals were as well. the management limits this hotel and I would never consider going there again. The People I talked to about this place all had similar stories. Don't go to this place unless you enjoy being aggravated and generally upset most of the time.

More about Paradisus Palma Real

Paradisus Palma Real Resort & Spa

by andersonclan about Paradisus Palma Real Resort & Spa

The Paradisus Palma Real Resort & Spa is an all-inclusive awesome resort. Their facilities are top notch. The beach at this resort is beautiful, very open & is public. Their are many places to dine, either casual or cocktail. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable, accomodating and were English friendly. There are so many activities & excursions to choose from (some included with resort, some not). There were lots of weddings & honeymooners.... great place for a wedding. There were also many families & children. We didn't take our children on this trip, but there would have been plenty for them to do (kids club, game room, theatre). Their are many so many water-sport activities to choose from right in front of this resort. There is entertainment for each night and there is also a casino in the resort. The Spa is WONDERFUL! There is a shopping village right beside the resort which was very nice. We found lots of souvenirs plus some extras. The Paradisus resort will shuttle you back & forth at no charge. There is an unlimited green fee at the Cocotal Golf Course.

Paradise at the Paradisus

by TripAdvisor Member klvaile

WE LOVED THIS RESORT!
We did not have any major complaints that you may read elsewhere. The hotel officially opens in March I believe, so as people come through the resort, I can see it getting better and better!!! {And I just have to say as a disclaimer, when you travel to a third world country, you have to expect a different culture and OF COURSE a different language. I found myself so annoyed by fellow Americans who complained about the “English speaking” ability of the staff. GEEZE!!!}

LOBBY
As we checked in, my husband and I actually got asked if we would like to get moved from our original hotel Melia Caribe Tropical. They asked us if we would want to move to this newest hotel (owned by the same parent company, Sol Melia). Apparently it wasn't even officially "open yet". They offered no price change just to try it. After seeing the brochure, OF COURSE WE SWITCHED!!!! The Paradisus Palma Real was just north, directly adjacent to the Melia Caribe Tropical.

As we entered the Paradisus Palma Real, my only thought was that I would compare it to the Grand Wailea in Maui - AMAZING and beautiful! The hotel definitely looked like a 6 apple/star resort. Venetian tile, open concept and that fabulous view of the ocean right off the bat. The lobby was one of the prettiest I have ever seen. Everything looked like a million bucks!!! The furniture was so cool that my husband and I joked that we would FedEX it home!!!

CHECK-IN
The check-in desk was to the left, next to the dancing statue. To the right was the lobby bar that we gathered at almost every night. It was the only bar to have fountain soda, not out of a bottle, and my husband LOVES his soda. I must say check-in was slow and annoying, but a waitress kept bringing us drinks and we started talking with 2 other couples just checking in too. This was our first inclination that the service may have its problems, but you had to be understanding with that, as the staff was still learning. We were their “trail run group”, and you could tell they were trying hard to fix the service. Most people were checking into rooms that had never been occupied before! Some things didn't work, so they fixed them. Our room wasn’t ready yet, so we put our bags in a secured area and went to the pool for a couple of hours until we could check-in.

We ended up with an ocean view room for the trouble.

SERVICE
They were a tad bit disorganized at check-in, and also for seating us for dinner, but the dining itself was so amazing and tasty! The maids always came too early or too late, when we were always in the room. After we complained 3 days in a row, they had it fixed perfectly! No more maid troubles, in fact they seemed to come 2 times a day. Things got better everyday!

ROYAL SERVICE – BAD IDEA!
Our major complaint was with the royal service upgrade. You could purchase this for extra money per day, and you would get a private pool and special wing of the resort. The restaurants over-booked on their reservations, while the rest of us were not allowed to make reservations and had to sit and wait and wait. Worst, the people in the royal service were snobs and were unpleasant to be around. It felt like it was segregation or something. When we heard people complaining while we laid on the beach, usually they were royal service. Literally, we gathered our things and MOVED AWAY! I think that this is a poor idea for a resort. No one likes to spend money on a vacation and be reminded that they aren’t the most important guest.

CAFÉ AREA
Straight ahead out of the lobby, you walked down a bunch of marble stairs to the water features below in the cafe'/lounge area. They had bands and other entertainment there at night. The restaurants were all down the left side along here. It was a Venetian/tiki sort of feel. Stone columns, no ceiling, very modern, wicker furniture and lots of the bubbling pot/water features. On the right side was the casino, night club, gift shop and game room. This area viewed upon the pool at the opposite end. Farther down to the right (after the casino and game room) was the ballroom that opened up to a patio area along the pool.....AMAZING! There was even a wedding party there. And keep walking and you'll be right on the beach at the rim of the Atlantic Ocean!!!

POOL
WOW doesn't even describe it. There were little places to sit and sun yourself all over. It was big and winding, so you could swim all over and have fun. There was a swim-up bar too. A gazebo went across the pool, in front of the ballroom. The pool was next to the beach.

EXERCISE, SPA AREA
In front of the ball room, they had spinning classes. Around the ball room, there was the fitness center with windows to run on the treadmills/x-trainers while watching the pool. Keep going and there was the spa. AWESOME! You could get massages in outside zen pavilions or inside. There were facials, wraps, hairstylists, nails, etc etc. In another zen pavilion outside, they have yoga/pilates/taichi classes in the morning. It was really relaxing over there. Our room overlooked this area, and of course the ocean - we had an ocean view suite!!!

BEACH
Amazing of course. I am a sun lover and love the Dominican Republic because of the sun. It was my 2nd time to the D.R. There were plenty of chairs and huts. There were "sofa like" beach loungers there too. The resort was long, so there was a lot of beach to occupy. (Also, we saw a reception on the beach. They added ferns and flowers to all the trees in this circular separate part of the beach. They strung lights on them that evening and they set-up like 12 roasters on a buffet line, and bunch of white tall-tables for food and eating. VERY PRETTY!)

RESTAURANTS
There were four themed-restaurants open when we were there. They opened up a market grill buffet on our day 4 - very good! french fries, burgers, etc. And they were still working on another restaurant to be opening soon.

BANA was an Asiatic restaurant. 3 restaurants in one. It had a sit-down menu to the left, and to the right, either a sushi bar (SOOOO GOOOOOD) or a Japanese grill like a Benihana's or Sergio’s. This had a red lighted bar in between as a gathering point and some comfy white linen furniture.

PASSIONS was Mediterranean. They had glass hearts (like with a ventricle - WIERD) all over. It shared a bar with VENTO - an Italian theme. This had a green bar with the silver curtains in between as a gathering point. Passion was on the left. Vento was on the right.

The buffet had very good breakfast with custom omelets and all kinds of other great treats to eat. We ate there everyday and sometimes at night. Lunch had custom past bar and again all kinds of good options to eat. At dinner my favorite thing was the mac and cheese with spices and seafood. YUM!

AGAVE was behind that – Mexican flavor. We did not eat there.

MARKET GRILLE was the grill buffet with American grilled kabobs and burgers, chicken sandwiches - etc. VERY GOOD. Onion rings too!!!

ROOM
We were on the 3rd floor for ocean view. All the rooms are suites at the Paradisus Palma Real. They all have a whirlpool bath, steam shower with all kinds of cool spray heads, personal robes, all Venetian tiling, flat screen t.v., and the view. AHHH! The beds were comfortable, the sofa was a sleeper-sofa, there was tons of storage and a personal safe that you did NOT have to pay for. LOVED IT!

*****IN GENERAL, A PERFECT EXPERIENCE, AND PROBABLY EVEN BETTER WITH EXPERIENCE AND TIME. WE RECOMMEND IT HIGHLY!!!!!!!!*****

I'm very happy at both Paradisus Resorts

by TripAdvisor Member FoodieGal

I stayed with my husband at the Paradisus Palma Real for five nights in January 2006. Other than weather giving us too much wind and rain, I loved it. Even the rain is no big deal and dries very quickly. The resort is very new, opening late Dec. 2005, so all the rooms are very fresh. Incredible showers, plasma TV, very comfy bed. And we didn't even have the Service Royale (SR) that we loved so much at the other Paradisus. The restaurant selection is expansive. Construction was still occuring; and the spa was still being built, right by the pool. I did not feel a bit disturbed and I am quite sensitive to noise. The Outdoor Grill was also being constructed but like the previous project, it was mostly finish work and not noisy. Plus the grill is on the edge of the resort. I particularly enjoyed the beautiful lobby where the ocean view is spectacular, way better than the other Paradisus. Plus this resort is built in a courtyard setting so no little busses are needed. We walked everywhere, and it was all no trouble in my nice shoes, except that beautiful tile is very slippery when wet. I loved the Zen Garden and had a nap or two with a book on the nice Bali Beds by the fountains/water. Others enjoyed morning Yoga sessions on a lovely wooden platform.

I found all the service personnel to be incredibly professional and wonderful. I do love the Dominican Republic and have been to the other Paradisus and in La Romana to the Hilton property...(all within the past 24 months) I loved this property the best, with the other Paradisus a close second. While there is landscape that still needs to grow to make this the luscious tropical setting I expect when coming to the Carribbean, I was delighted by the baby plants and can't wait to see them in their glory in a few years. It will likely be much more expensive then.

The pool is a large, beautiful scene you expect from some great masterpiece except that you actually get to swim in it. As far as temperatures, no way would a Resort heat this huge pool. So if it is summer, it will be warmer. I was in that pool every single day in January.

As far as food, I am really into food. I found everything I could ever want and more. Calamari? Not like this! Beef, chicken, pork, fish, veggies, breads, and more.I loved seeing all the various foods each day. I always had great food. And great drinks! I was a bit surprised when I asked a fellow traveler what she thought of the food. She was dismayed. She was from Iowa and thought the bacon didn't taste like it did at home. So people, it isn't home. It's a vacation. Didn't you leave to get away? I loved the bacon.

Do bring with you: flip flops which have a tread/heacy sole. The floors are slippery when wet.

very good!

my family and i had a very good vacation president's week at the paradisus palma real. the major items we were concearned with on a 'drop and plop' vacation were the hotel itself (grounds, beach, pool, our room) and the food.
the hotel is very new - breathtaking view upon entering - many, many people taking pictures from that vantage point. grounds very nice and still being completed. the beach is real nice - lots of chairs and huts available on the beach -must get there early if you want the huts with the beds!!! - definitely alot of seaweed in the water. big, big pool with swim up bar and jacuzzis in the pool. our room was great - 2 nice beds, sitting area, balcony, bathroom area excellent including jacuzzi tub. as another reviewer noted, more privacy needed in the bathroom area. one of the main items we liked was that the resort seemed to be spaced out very nicely - it felt roomy and that you were not being overrun by too many people. lots of families with primarily smaller children who were well behaved and having fun!
breakfast and lunch were buffet style. nothing unusual about breakfast - standard items and alot to choose from. lunch and dinner at the buffet typicly included some very nice items - beef and chicken kabobs, shrimp, scallops and many, many other high end items to choose from. we ate at the restaurants also and enjoyed them alot - passion, bano and vento- excellent quality and service at all three. service at the buffet as others have noted is inconsistent.
again, as others have noted, some instances of language barrier problems.

A great resort soon!

by TripAdvisor Member TCJ

I was part of a group that stayed at the Palma Real the second week of February. My first visit to the Dominican sure was relaxing thanks greatly to the spa-like athmosphere of the hotel. Yes, the piped-in new-age music could use a little carribean accent, but if I wanted to listen to calypso, I could visit any of the other hotels/resorts along the beach.
This is where this resort differs from the others. It offers a more intimate, soothing, peaceful setting than others. It is unpretentious in showing its effort at more class. From the decor, to the staff, to the facilities/spa, I was in pressed with the effort put to make us at ease here. Yes, the staff could speak better English, but you will be after all in a Spanish-speaking country.
The spa offered professional massages and other pampering frills, and was equipped with the latest workout equipment it seemed. Everyone was professional and friendly.
I enjoyed the massage, but didn't work out.
The four (will be six soon) restaurants all had excellent cuisine. I preferred the mediterranean to the others. The casual all-you-can-eat restaurant was excellent, varried its fare, and was never dull. Scallops and lobster anytime but breakfast, you can't get better than that! The previous reviewer mentionned waiting an hour to get seated, but I was there the same week and experienced no waits at all, at peak times even. Breakfast coffee was served quickly.
The beach is first class. Deeper than all the resorts near and far, white sand, and a gentle breeze make this the perfect place to laze in the sun. Plenty of chairs, lounge chairs, and shade too, though the hotel was no more than 1/2 full. The huge pool was great, with built-in lounge chairs, wirlpools, and a swim-up bar. The water was a great temperature, certainly not cold as mentioned in other reviews.
One should know and take full advantage of the free activities this all-inclusive resort offers. Daily snorkling, horseback riding along a beautiful beach, golf (+$35 each for club rental and cart), and scuba diving gives one just enough to do during a one week stay. I did all activities and none had negatives worth mentioning. The scuba diving (PADI card req'd) was great and dive sites varried from day to day. The hotel pays for 20 tanks per day at the neighboring outfitter (Scuba Caribe), and they told me I could dive all I want as only a couple tanks are used daily. Staff was again friendly and proffessional, I was worried they would be "fast-food" diving types like there are in Fort Lauderdale but I was impressed that they were excellent divers with our safety in mind.
Finally, you can see that I had a very pleasant stay at the Palma Real. They seem to be on the right track to their goal of being a bonafide 5-star resort. I experienced none of the problems other guests wrote about in other reviews. I am unpretentious and give no attitude to others, tried to speak high school spanish, and I found that these efforts worked well here. I received smiles, respect, and effort in return. The resort is by no means perfect in every sense (is there one anywhere?), but I would return in a year or more, when I believe they'll achieve the perfection they strive for.

Paridise at Paridisus

Went to the Palma Real over Presidents Week. After reading previous reviews, we knew to book 2 rooms in Royal Service.
Our rooms were beautiful, next to each other with beach and pool views. New and well furnished.
By using Royal Service, we always had two cabana's one at the beach and one at the pool. The beach/pool butlers were fantastic. They set us up every morning ($10 each day) and made sure we had drinks whenever we needed one.
We decided which of the four ala carte restaurants we wanted to eat in and the Royal Service butlers got us a table at our desired seating time. We even called afer 5PM one day and were granted our request.
Other non Royal Service guests were getting up at 6AM to get a cabana and they faced ala carte restaurant waits from 1 to 2 hours. We relly felt bad for them.
The Royal service is worth the extra $30 a day.
We loved the resort and it's staff. The new rooms and furniture are top notch. All the public areas are beautiful,very hip and trendy.Even the outdoor furniture is stylish, expensive stuff.
We enjoyed the perfect beach, pool and sunshine. We came home very relaxed.
The only negitive to the D.R. for my wife and 3 teenage daughters was the lack of off resort activities. They would have liked a small town to venture to and shop at. Other Islands do offer that.

Punta Cana

by SullyBiz

I was fortunate enough to score a weekend trip to Puna Cana this past February. Anything to escape the brutally mild winter Boston had this year. Paradisus Palma Real was gorgeous and the view walking into the open air lobby was amazing. I will never be able to afford to stay here on my own funding.

I was thrown right into "work" and was forced to have delicious dinner at the Japanese restaurant in the beautiful brand new hotel we stayed in. Somehow I managed to enjoy my martinis out in the fresh air on the patio surrounded by the fountains and soft light.

I don't know how I managed to drag myself out of bed but I had nearly a full day to lounge by the pool and take advantage of the swim up bar. Dinner that night was particularly good, shrimp, lamb, champagne, lemon cake, and it was nice to lounge in the lounge afterwards. I woke in the morning to play in the pool and drink margaritas and jetted back to the U.S. with a sigh. Not too shabby for a few days "work."

Parasailing in front of Paradisus ResortParasailing in front of Paradisus Resort

Punta Cana Beach at the Paradisus- beautiful!Punta Cana Beach at the Paradisus- beautiful!

Punta Cana Christmas 2006 any suggestions?

by Lindsayonthego

Hi My husband and family are traveling to Punta Cana next Christmas. We are staying at the Paradisus Palma Real. I was wondering what are the rcommended activities for outside the resorts and if there is any good shopping around? Also are there any other towns we should visit during our stay?

Comments