Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Orbitz.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 31% less but rated 13% lower than other 4 star hotels

• Good Value

We stayed in the Naiboa, the only hotel in the grouping that is not directly on the beach. Oddly, we didn't mind. You simply walk down the little street of shops to the beach. As you can use the facilities (restaurants, bars, pools, etc.) of most of the other "hotels" in the RIU group, we didn't feel like we were missing anything. The hotel was clean and tidy. Staff were friendly. Christmas dinner was beautifully presented with much effort to make it charming for the holiday season. We very much enjoyed our stay.

• nofear75's Profile Photo

Riu Riulette

The hotel was older then the other Riu hotels in the area as well as being rated the lowest star (4). We did enjoy the fact that it was a quieter atomosphere. The hotel was okay for someone who uses it as just a bed to sleep in. There was only one bar that was not located in the hotel (past the pool) as well as only one pool (no swim up bar). Th mini fridge was stocked every 2 days and there was a liquor dispenser in the room (rum, vodka, gin, brandy). There was a store in the lobby, but it was closed one night at an earlier than posted time and it did not open till later the next day (so don't rely on it for cigs, medicine, etc). The beach was a little bit of a walk and for most excursions guests had to walk to a meeting place. If you get a good deal it is not the worst place you could find yourself at.

Unique Quality: The staff were outstanding. (Rafael, Carlos, Alexander, Oscar, Abraham)
    Guests could use the Taino, and Bamboo facilities; as well as the casino at Palace Macao

Directions: Rui Resort - approx 30 minutes to the airport

More about Riu Naiboa

Definitely worth our money.

We wanted to go somwhere tropical, period. Our hotel was beautiful. Our room was the best, for the AC didn't always work, and the location wasn't good, but it had been poolside, it would have been perfect. AC isn't needed unless you like to be really cool at night. We went at the end of May, and the temps were great. Our food wasn't outstanding, but they did have very much from which to choose, at every sitting. At Riu, people can go to the other hotels and eat, swim, and drink. That was a perk! The beach was something like I'd never seen before. English-speaking people are a minority within the tourism population, which was nice and expected. Overall, we'd instantly go back. Please email me if you have further concerns. Please put Riu Naiboa in the subject line.

Beware of the food

First of all, let me say first that my husband and I stayed at the Grand Paradise in January and had a fabulous time, it was our first time in Punta Cana and when we got back we raved what a beautiful place it is. We decided to try a different place this time and my sister and her husband came with us. After looking for a good deal I found one at Apple Vacations. First of all when we arrived at the Riu Naiboa they gave us these real small rooms I thought I was on a cruise!! We asked for a bigger room and they let us change rooms the next day. That was much better. The beach of course is very beautiful and the walk to it on Carribean Street was nice. I prefer some wave action and there wasn't any there so we walked up the beach (it took an hour) past Breezes there is a nice surf and hardly anyone around, it's like you have the whole place to yourself. The bad part of the trip was the food, I had a hard time finding something decent to eat. The Grand Paradise had real good food and their desserts where fab. Then to top it off the four of us got sick with an intestinal flu or whatever you want to call it. We talked to other people on the plane, and most everyone who stayed at the Riu Naiboa got sick. One woman had to go to the hospital for dehydration and was put on antibiotics. I don't know what's going on at that hotel but I will never go back there again. I'm home and still not feeling right.

Loved the beach, hated the room.

We just returned from Riu Naiboa on June 22, 2003. We left San Juan, Puerto Rico in the morning, June 19, 2003 at 7:00 AM, arrived at the hotel around 10:30 AM and had to wait until 1:30 PM to get the room.
The room was very hot, not very clean and the bathroom was worse. The mini bar had two beers and two Cokes and they were warm. We turned on the air conditioning but it never cooled the room. The food is OK but everything tastes a little off, even desserts and the juices. The service at this hotel was bad, I had to go to the service counter to ask for extra towels, shampoo etc. The beach was beautiful with clear water and lots of chairs. To rescue our vacation we went to the Riu Taino Hotel where the people were very nice and included us in all their activities and invited us to their shows etc. We liked the bar inside the pool and our children had a good time dancing and singing.
(They are teenagers) If you need a cool room to sleep in after staying out in the sun all day, please stay away of this hotel.

Best place iv'e ever visited!!!!!!

I just got back from a week long stay at the Riu Naiboa (June 13-20).
First, let me begin by saying I am writing a review because reading reviews was very helpful and enabled me to get a suite. When you check in ask if a suite is available, if so, give the guy a tip and you have a much bigger room. The suite was very nice, but the air conditioning wasn't as cold as I would have like it. (You have no control over this!) The pool at the naiboa was gorgeous and lots of fun. The pool staff did get a little pushy trying to get you to participate in all the cheesy games though. The beach was absolutely incredible and the reason I plan on going back every year. The water was clear and the sand was clean. If you walk down to the left off of caribeean street it is much more vacant. The entertainment was very uninhibited and very entertaining, especially Thursday nights at the caribeean street carnival. The alcohol variety was excellent and I enjoyed the copa cabanna with alcohol. My boyfriend loved the 8% beer. The food was decent, but once again not much variety from one day to the next. We ate at speciallity restaurants 5 of the nights we were there. Our favorite by far was the Mediterrean, they offer the best menu choices and best service. The steakhouse was unimpressive (except for the yummy dessert) and the service was horrible. We did the James Bond excursion and it was worth the $55. it cost. Punta Cana is a beautiful place and well worth the money I spent going. I had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!

What a Deal

We just got back from spending a week at the Riu Naiboa (got back May 10th). We really enjoyed our stay at the Naiboa - best deal around. We went with Apple vacation on a last minute deal and paid $499.00 plus tax (total $600.00) for 8 days and flew out of Philadelphia. We definitely made the right choice by staying at the Riu resort. We decided that at that price, how could we go wrong. Why pay more to stay at the other Riu's when you can use all of the other hotels with the exception of the Riu Palace. The rooms were nice and clean, (not fantastic but nice), the pool was terrific and staff were great. The hotel is not directly on the beach but who cares - it was only a short and pleasant walk to the beach. The beach was terrific. We found that the beach in front of the Riu's and Iberostar (which is right next to the Riu) is definitely nicer. We went for a walk along the beach and thought that we had the better location - much nicer beach. We checked out several other hotels but decided that we liked the Riu the best because we had the use of the other Riu hotels.The food had the hotels was terrific. They served a large variety of foods and it was great trying some different dishes. You won't go away hungry. We also ate at the specialty restaurants and found that the food was excellent and service was great (don't be afraid to tip these people for their excellent service - they deserve it).One day we went horseback riding along the beach. We went on the sunset ride (5:30 to 7:00 p.m. , cost $30.00). We would NOT recommend that you do this. The horses are not in very good shape - very thin. The one horse kept kicking my husband's horse - three times. ( We also heard from another person that they got bitten on the leg by one of the horses.) As we were galloping along the beach, my husband's horse FELL, causing my husband to fall off the horse. injuring y his shoulder but it could have been much more serious. However, if you do decide to ride the horses, the Ranchero is located to the right of the r you will enjoy Punta Cana very much. The weather was excellent - rain only at night. The worst part of the trip was the ride between the airport and hotel - approximately one half hour ride. The road is not in good condition - lots of pot holes and the driver is not very cautious. I would NOT recommend that you rent a car - too dangerous because of the driving conditions and besides that there doesn't appear to be too much to see.Oh by the way, I notice that Apple still has the Naiboa special for $499.00 for 8 days, 7 nights out of Philadelphia and Baltimore. For that price, you definitely cannot go wrong - why pay more???

Great place...but beware

My wife and I just got back a few days ago. Here is a brief synopsis of the Riu Naiboa. HOTEL- very nice lobby, restaurant, theater, etc. The rooms were standard issue, nothing special, but had all the requirements. BEACH- amazing. Beautiful water, very little sea grass. Perfect weather. Tons of beach chairs available. If you have only been to American beaches, be prepared...there are dozens and dozens of men in speedos (bad), and topless women everywhere (good). POOL- same story. very nice, but lots of boobs and speedos. ENTERTAINMENT- very little. Lots of silly games in the pool, on the beach. Little to no night life. Several expeditions to choose from. We went on a party, snorkel boat and had a great time, but it was $50 per person, and the snorkelling was mediocre. FOOD- this was our biggest gripe. The food is actually quite good the first couple days. The problem is, they serve the same foods everyday, and it gets very repetitive early on. Also, they have a Mediterranean and a Steakhouse restaurant. These are a la carte and have some different foods, but they have the same few choices every single day. If you are a meat eater, you might have more choices. The food was definitely most appropriate for carnivore types, which made our choices substantially less. The food they do have, in many cases, is just slightly off. I can't really explain it, but many of the foods were not quite right (maybe because I am a dumb american, I dunno). And finally, you can not drink the water. We did not. We were very careful not to. Despite our efforts, my wife and I both got terrribly ill for the last 3-4 days of our trip. We are convinced that it is becasue the food is prepared using tap water. There is really no other good explanation. We talked to several other people who also got sick, without ever drinking tap water. OTHER- shopping is a pain in the neck. They want to sell you crap, for 5-10 times what it is worth. If you want to buy something, you have to play this stupid bargaining game with the merchant it means they can make an extra dollar or peso./ The staff was nice, and most spoke halfway decent English./ Tons of smokers everywhere. If you can't stand cigarette smoke, go someplace else./ Americans are definitely the minority. Not much English being spoken. OVERALL- Very nice. Incredibly beautiful. Very relaxing. Few complaints- food is so-so, too many speedos, very few English speakers, too much smoke, too many visits to the toilet.

Relax

by Sasie

We took a last minute trip to the RIU resorts in Punta Cana on an all inclusive package. Though we didn't leave the resort, we had a brilliant rest, enjoyed the food, the fantastic beach (Playa Arena Gorda) and the effort the staff put into making our Christmas special. We stayed at Riu Naiboa, but were able to use facilities of the other resorts.
It was a great treat for us. And perfect if you want to relax on a beautiful beach.

me and some friends at the Naiboa Hotelme and some friends at the Naiboa Hotel

by KaylieLandymore

Hi my partner and myself are going to be staying here for a week in July, has anyone else been here? Or going soon?

by ArenJo

If you have questions about the DR itself, I can probably answer those. However, I've never stayed at that resort.

by KaylieLandymore

thanks (:

have you got any tips for me about dominican?
Would u reccomend malaria tablets?
wats the food like?

xx

by toemayn

When we stayed at the Riu Bambu I walked to the Naiboa and it looked ok. I thought that the food was a bit bland in the DR. The winds were stiff along the beach which is the norm for the windward side of Caribbean areas that's why we prefer the west end of Jamaica (Negril).

by MoeB52

Hi ,
Have not stayed in that Riu but we did spend some time in the one in Punta Cana . We go to the DR pretty much every year, some times twice a year and have never taken meds for malaria ...but don't go by me ...denge fever is very common there but at most of the hotels they do spray . Have to say the beaches there are fantastic . Do take some good water proof sunscreen,wear a hat and ..oh ..have a great time .. We plan on going back next Jan for 2 weeks.
Maureen