Riu Palace Punta Cana

See Amenities

crap beer

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 4, 2012

to johneeeeeee, been to the palace a few times,great place, but if your going for the beer forget it. im a beer drinker also but had to drink shorts there. the beer leaves a nasty taste and tends to burn your thoat as it goes down.

Unique Quality: great beach and wonderfull sea.

Ah :)

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 19, 2010

This was by far the best resort I have ever stayed at :D .. The staff are so friendly and I would recommend this hotel to anybody. There is always night entertainment; and something to do during the day :)

Anybody by chance know 'chocolates' email :)

Unique Quality: :)

Directions: :)

Great Beach, thats it!

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 12, 2009

I have to admit, I read all the reviews before I went. I was a little worried. I heard about tipping, bad beds, bad food and bad service. I thought that these people just expected too much and didn't know how to have fun. I should have listened. Exactly what everyone wrote about happened to my husband and I who went to the RIU Punta Cana Palace on our anniversary trip. Wow. We got off the plane and had a man "steal" our luggage, had to chase after him into the parking lot to claim our luggage. He escorted us onto a large van to get to resort, charged us $15 USD for stealing our bags. We missed our pre paid shuttle because of this, and set us back $70 within the blink of an eye. Finally made it to the resort an hour later. At check in I was told I could not check in without a voucher. For 20 minutes we were frantic calling the states trying to get someone to hack my e-mail and forward message to my blackberry so that I could prove I had a reservation. Not to mention no one spoke English. Finally, the front desk man said "it's ok." Handed me a key to room and safe and walked off. We escorted our own bags down two long hallways and up a flight of stairs. Got into room and noticed our bed was 2 twin beds pushed together, each with own sheets, so no cuddling allowed. Noticed everything was dirty and stained. Went back down to front desk to ask for a clean room with a king sized bed that was requested at time of booking. Man said Yes, but we had to wait until someone checked out the next day. I said no way, after 20 more minutes we got a new room where we again moved all our luggage ourselves. This is all-inclusive, but bring tip money, no one here does anything without a tip.
We asked about dinner now, and where we could eat. Man told us only buffet as we missed making reservations from 8-11 am. So we ate a luke warm buffet of pasta, fruit, french fries, and weird pizza. Listened to music that night in the main courtyard. Was entertaining but not good. Then went to bed.
Got up around 9, got ready for beach and went to make dinner reservations. Walked in at 9:30, said they were booked for the night and told me to come tomorrow around 8 for a reservation. So we sat on the beautiful beach all day with tons of palm trees and a butler who brought soft drinks and water occasionally. Had to tip him if you wanted alcohol.
(After we were told no reservations this day a man walked in, gave the woman a $20, and she made him a reservation.)
Finally day 3, we got a reservation. Got up at 7 am, waited in line 45 minutes. Noticeably 23 people cut us in line. We were number 4 in line but after everything "cheated" there way through the line we got the last reservation at Krystal. Which was excellent and we ate there 2 times. Great food and a friendly wait staff.
We got up this early every day to be "butted" in line by all the Europeans who have never heard of lines before, each day going forward we did get reservations however.
We did not leave the resort. We went on the catamaran, costs $25 for a lesson, but it is easy so just tell them you have done it before. Then it is free. We also went parasailing, that was great. Ask someone on the beach about it and they will give you a much better deal then Scuba Caribe (The RIU sponsored team)
We had a great time on the beach and getting a tan, and all the reservation restaurants were great besides the Italian one. This was just the buffet served on a plate for dinner.
Things to know and bring before you go....
1. Bring a key ring for room and safe key, they give you a huge chunk of plastic with room number written on it. So if you lose it, your room could be broken into.
2. Tip money, and lots of it!
3. Patience
4. Voucher from when you booked vacation
5. Spanish dictionary because no one speaks English
PS. They take your picture at the airport because they try to get you to buy it when you leave. Also the men who "steal" luggage are employed by the airport so always hold onto it. They charge $5 a bag, even if you only walk a foot. They get mad when you say no and you take your luggage back. They play live music all around Punta Cana and rudely kick baskets at your feet, then when you look down, they whistle and yell "tippy tippy." Good luck to anyone who is going. I will not go to a RUI Resort again, but would gladly go to Punta Cana again. This resort was gorgeous from the outside and stunning with marble and tile everywhere, however the second you turned the corner it was disgusting. Oh and by the way tip the maid or you wont get towels or clean sheets ever. Ours stopped cleaning our room after the 3rd day. Each day we then had to call for towels and maid service. No pillowcases on pillows, no trash bags in trash bins and sheets were blood stained. YUCK! Apparently the service does not try to be good because they can always go to the resort right next door. There is no shortage of jobs there. Oh and if you are looking for kids free resort, they are everywhere here! It looks like in the pictures there are no kids. They are here and completely take over the resort. This place is so inexpensive that a family of 8 can go for $4k. for 8 days!

Cherubcrnp's Profile Photo

Riu disappointment

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 23, 2007

This hotel was recommended because of it's rating but we were disappointed. There were 14 of us in our travel party. Most of us had been to Punta Cana before but at a different resort. We found this resort to look very pretty but looks can be deceiving. The lobby was stunning...marble, goreous flowers and furniture. The junior suite room was lovely but our request for a King bed was handled by pushing 2 beds together. We had to ask every day for soap as the soap dispensor was broken. It was never repaired despite several requests. The food was OK...nothing outstanding. The beach was clean and lots of palm trees for shade. The waiters on the beach were not as plentiful as at other resorts we have stayed. It also seemed that the staff was not as friendly. At other resorts, everyone greeted you as you walked around the resort...from the gardeners to the bar staff. However, I didn't find that true here. As a matter of fact, we were asking questions of our wait staff one evening at dinner and the matre' d came over and told them to get back to work. Not very "people friendlty" in my eyes. We will go back to Punta Cana but not to the Riu.

Unique Quality: Lovely view, great beach

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Punta Cana Travel Forum

Need advice about Punta Cana, Dominican Republic? Visit the Travel Forum for Punta Cana and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Punta Cana hotel reviews

Airport transfer in Punta Cana
Prestige Limousine Service
Fast and courteous
Transportation
Where are the artists to paint it?
Supreme Snorkeling & Outsatnding Safari
Prestige Limousine Service
Couples only Club
Nightlife
Car rental in punta cana
Punta Cana Airport Transfers
punta cana airport transportation
punta cana airport transportation
NEW RESTAURANT IN PUNTA CANA.. BAVARO
Restaurants
fun buggy Punta Cana
Things to Do
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ)
Great chill out spot
Caribbean Festival Dance and Snorkel
Punta cana International Airport
Taxi Fares
Transportation
You have to visit Chichen Itza!!
EXCELLENT VARIETY