Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Spa

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Spa

Good Time Had At The Sirenis

by TripAdvisor Member The-Stork

My girlfriend and I visited back in Nov. from the 12th-26th. We had a great holiday and overall the Sirenis was very enjoyable. The resort is actually two almost identical hotels (the cocotel and the tropical suites) combined. The resort is out of the way a little (very bumpy roads to the hotel), there is nothing outside of the hotel but hey it's all inclusive! The grounds and buildings are really nice and very clean and tidy. The beach is not white sand and the sea isn't crystal clear but it is still very nice and tropical. It did rain a few evenings but the days were great for catching those rays. Get to reception early if you want to book to eat in any of the 5 speciality restaurants, they are worth it. The entertainment was good, something for everyone.
Service was generally very good, the entertainment staff were very friendly as were the reception staff. The pool is the best part of the complex it is huge with two swim up bars, an activites section and a queiter side. Finally we booked a standard room in the cocotel side but ended up (accidently tho, I think) in a suite on the tropical side.
Brilliant!

There is always a but....

Well we are just home from the Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort. We left on Thursday December 11 @ 6.30am (Skyservice). We actually left on time, flying a charter usually you are delayed but everything went very smooth. We arrived in Punta Cana at about 12.15 (they are one hour ahead of us) We had read some reviews and were aware of the hour bus ride to the hotel.. however the roads were brutal. we felt a little car sick once we arrived at the hotel. Once we arrive the check in ran very smoothly, they spoke english very well and were able to assist us with our requests. We had a 20 usd in our hand and asked for a upgrade, the man at the desk sent us away and told us to come back in 5 minutes once we came back he had up graded us to a Ocean view room in the I wing which was very nice. We over looked the pool and the beach. The resort was kept very clean, the pool was very large and nice. The food at the resort was fine. I have been to numerous all inclusives and the food did not bother me at all. There was a wide range of food to eat. My boyfriend has a severe Peanut Allergy so we had to be very careful with the food. However we spoke with the Food and Beverage Manager at the Resort and they assured us we were fine. We had no problems. My major problem that i had was the beach. I had heard some many things about the beach in Punta Cana and we were VERY dissappointed. We heard that Punta Cana was white sand beaches with Clean water. Well we discovered very differently. The beach was the every day brown sand and the water was not clear. After we found out that we were on the Atlantic ocean so that was the reason we did not have the nice beach. I would not say this hotel is a 4*+. I would say it is more like a 3.5.

More like a 3.5 star hotel

Sirenis cocotal beach resort and tropical suites is rated 5 stars, however, by American standards, it is closer to 3 or 3.5 stars. The property (lobby,gardens,plants,bars,restaurants,pools,beaches. etc.) is well maintained and groomed. I would give it 5 stars. Speaking of food, it is rated fine-bad. Everyday at the buffet, there is mostly same food and although the variety looks big, it is really not. At breakfast, there was no cream cheese! The schedule is also very annoying; the breakfast is open from 7am to 10am. It was inconvenient because i went to sleep very late and had to wait until lunch started which was 12 pm. The towel service is very inconvenient; you are given a card which you must exchange in return for a certain number of towels. If you don't return the same number of towels you were given you need to pay to receive back your card. This card must be returned upon checkout. Also, you must reserve the restaurants the first day you arrive and the reservation line is very long. If you dont do that the first day, you will have to eat at the buffet where reservations are not required. Those restaurants, however, are not very good. The food was not very tasty and there and the wait was fairly long. Lunch ends at five and dinner begins everywhere at 7p.m. That two hour break is inconvenient because everything is closed. There is no 24 hour buffet. If you are an athletic person or physically active person, you will have plenty to do in the daytime and at night. There is volleyball at the beach, excercise, music, pool games, dancing at night and a fitness room. However, with that there comes another inconvenient thing. The jacuzzis and saunas are located about a 7 minute walk from the pool. You have to walk with wet clothes through the lobby and restaurants to reach the jacuzzis and pools. At night, the shows are mostly dancing and require the audience's participation and involvement. If you are an older person looking to sit down and watch a show, there are very few of those. The water at the beach is very rough in the morning. The sand is not white, but after 3pm when the water calms down, it is very beautiful and clean. There are very few watersports at the beach; there was no jet ski, no parasail and the banana boat was constantly broken. There were only kayaks and small windsurfers. You could also rent some snorkling gear, but you can't see anything if you dont go far out enough. The boat that takes you far out enough barely works because the water is far out is rough. There is barbeque at the beach, which only works two days a week. The staterooms were great; there were marble bathrooms, a niceley stocked fridge with plenty of sodas and nice balconys. The maids also did a very good job cleaning. The workers overall, were very very friendly and nice. The problem with the workers, however, is that they understand only few words of english. It is very hard to communicate with them if you dont know basic spanish ( ex. pillow, soda, boat) The pools are very nice. They are extremely large and clean. There are bars inside the pools and you can swim through the pools to get from one place to another if you dont want to walk in the heat. Kids have many things to do if they are not shy and are willing to be involved. There are plenty of activities, sports and entertainment planned for them and the staff that cares for them is great. Overall, the hotel is not bad. However, if you have visited 5 star american hotels with no hassles and difficulties such as Atlantis, you will be dissapointed. So if you can shop around for something better, do so. If not, the hotel is not bad if you arent picky about food and just care about relaxing and spending your day at the beach.

Fantastic Food vs. Terrible Winds

Just returned from a great holiday at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Dec.25th - Dec.31st. Long trip there on SkyService (poor service which seems worse every time). I enjoyed the hour air-conditioned bus ride to the resort, it is very rough and bumpy though, but you get a chance to see the country side and small communities on the way. The resort is huge and picture perfect. Well groomed lawns, flowers and trees, peacocks and geese wandering the front. The lobby is grand, all marble, and many comfortable wicker chairs arranged for socializing. The lobby leads to open bars, which can often be crowded. Better luck to have a seat in the wickers and wait for your waitress. The main resteraunts are next, there always seemed to be confusion with guests over when the dining hours were, but the food was worth any wait. Very visually appealing - a lot of work obviously goes into every meal. The taste was superb, always fresh and different every meal I have no idea of what some of those delicious dishes were?) although after one week we could see the menu starting to become repetitive. The specialty resteraunts are highly over-rated and defineatly not worth the 0.5hr - 1.0hr wait in line required to get reservations for them. Next comes wooden boardwalks surrounded by turtle and feeder fish ponds for as far as you can see (and pink flamingos which never seem to leave their pond?).
These walks lead to all the hotel room buildings, try to get into building "I", it has a great ocean/pool view, some other buildings only have views of other buildings or a jungle fence. If you have a problem with your room help may be a long time coming, if at all, most staff seemed to speak English poorly and there is often communication problems. House keeping is adequate at best, but nothing to complain about really. The pool is large, beautiful and spotless.... full of children as this seems to be a real family type resort. Many daily activity events and evening entertainment events were offered. The beach was a highlight, very beautiful and long, easy to walk in either direction for 15-20 minutes without seeing any other hotels, lot's of topless tanners, the water was always very warm although rough for swimming and watch out for hidden coral. (ouch!) Our last 4 days were terribly windy, blowing sand on the beach sent everyone poolside and cancelled all water sport events. This was very dissapointing and the only sour note of the holiday, weather can change drastically daily. We had no problems with bugs (other than a few unexplained bites) or sickness but be sure to take your own supplies just in case. Some excursions and sight seeing packages are available but this mainly a place to go to Eat and Relax and Tan.

Ab Fab

May 2002 what a holiday and what a fantastic hotel. I have been to may different resorts and places in my time but this has got to be the best ever. The beach was the most beutiful i have ever seen it really is paradise. The swimming pool was huge with its swim up pool bar you could relax on a stool in the water and drink pena coladas all day. The food was great so much to choose from and the fruit was out of this world. Presentation again of the food was fantastic, spectacular. All the staff i meet Ricky(gourgeous) Roberto(Fantastic dancer) angel(Huge) aundre(nuts) jon(Fantastic entertainer and choreographer) but no longer there,sadly. And many more were all so very very nice people it was a pleasure knowing them and a asset to the hotel. Would recommend this hotel and holiday to all and worth every penny. So good infact im going back may 2004 withthe girls. Ab Fab holiday.

very good...but too relaxed for me

Well, first of all I wanted to thank you all guies for such helfull site, that in fact made my tirp 100% more interesting and easy!!! I will not go over the flight and the chack in part, because all the reviews are about the same and they are truthfull. Newertheless, I have to admitt that the mascito part hit us right at the very beguining - be awere spray yourself with OFF even before you come to the hotel and keep on spraying all the time everyhwere (take at least 2 bottles).
Look for moscitos and bugs right when you enter your room, I did and found my room louded with them...Now, I have to admitt I'm a type of person that can get away with lots of unpleasent surprises but moscitos cross my red line, so you can only imagine how furious was I when after a quite tiering trip to Punta I ended up with this... pleasently surprised i ended up not screaming adn after 5 min. recieving a key to an amzing ocean view suit!!! The pool - OHH yea loved, loved the rest of it!!!!!!!!!

Totally relaxing and just what the doctor ordered

Great review from Steve and we would agree wholeheartedly with his comments. Prior to going we were really apprehensive as we had read so many negative reviews - sometimes I wonder where people get such expectations for the money they pay!! On a travel from the UK bit the My Travel day flight was awful the worst cabin crew were horrendous they obviously did not want to be there and even told us they could not wait to get off and get pissed - great to feel wanted. The flight home the crew were great and could not have been kinder. One thing we would point out is that being an all inclusive resort the staff do not often get tipped, other than the room maids. We made the point of tipping the pool bar staff and the restaurant staff on the last day and they were so grateful. Those people that complained on this site of bad service I am sure is partly due to their attitude whistling and clicking for staff does not go down well in any country! Whilst we did not speak Spanish a smile cost nothing and they were some of the most gracious people we have met in a long time. We travel frequently and our in the hotel business and whilst this is not a 5 star resort it is a fabulous place to switch off and forget about pressures at home. Hope this encourages anyone going. Have fun and do join in the activities like beach olympics I am not one for group activities on holiday but the staff were such a laugh and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed meeting so many really great people!

Best Holiday Ever!

Myself, my husband and my son went in May 2001 and it was fantastic. The place had only just opened when we went and there was still some building work going on but it was not near where the guests were. I am a chef and thought the food was absolutely fantastic what a choice!! They catered for every taste including traditional English, American, Spanish and Dominican. They also had themed food nights which lets you experience some dominican cuisine which was fantastic but also had other choices if you don't like experimenting with food. My son who was five at the time loved the childrens club and couldn't wait to go. I didn't feel the need to learn Spanish as most of the staff speak english perfectly well although I do know spanish as well. The pool was very claen and they were very particular about cleanliness which is nice to see they actually drained the pool for 1 day because some tiles had come loose at the bottom so no one would get injured and that must have cost them alot of money but the hotel was still willing to do it so there was no danger to guests!! The water was checked everyday for pollutants as well. The rooms were brilliant and there are armed guards around the place all day so you were very safe. The staff were fantastic very helpful. There is food available any time of day if the buffet is not open you can go to the snack bar. The only problem is the mozzies (that are so small you cant see them) we were bitten quite a bit but staff are out every day spraying the complex to help get rid of them.Cant fault it brilliant holiday even for the kids!!

Great Experience - First Time Domenican Republic

by TripAdvisor Member dm_garner

We were thrilled to be placed in a "tower" suite located in a lighthouse-like extension to one of the regular buildings (the regular buildings that house 3 floors of standard rooms). Our room was on the 3rd floor completely surrounded by windows and with a balcony overlooking the beach and ocean. Other ammenities included a very large jacuzzi tub in addition to a wonderful shower area. Our facilities were excellent. Excellent cable TV and movie access (Cinemax) etc. NOTE: We were fortunate to have taken a student ID card (the size of a credit card) which we could leave in the slot next to the entrance door to our suite which allows the room electric to work. Otherwise you have to either use the tab provided with the room key (and attached to the room key) which would mean you couldn't keep your room cool. (It takes a while for the rooms to cool down. ALSO - VERY IMPORTANT - TIP...all windows and doors must be completely closed and latched in order for the air conditioning to work. We suffered through the first night with just the ceiling fan because we couldn't get the air conditioning to come on. We tipped a lot with $1 bills (US). It really made a difference at the bars...first they could see it in your hand and would serve you right away...second they remembered you when you came back and would take care of your fast. Only downside for us was the food.
Just not very good. We suspect it is probably just part and parcel of the Domenican Republic. None-the-less, but the end of our long 4 day weekend, we were glad we were not going to experience another dinner.
Even in the specialty restaurants we found the food marginal. We ordered chicken fajitas in the Mexican restaurant and the chicken had a fishy taste. Guacamole was great, tho. Also, the breakfasts were good...especially the made to order omlettes. If you drink scotch, they use Dewars and J&B as their bar scotch...not something local like in Mexico. You can also order Baileys...and they have Absolut and Smoley available if you ask. Highly recommend the Serenis Special drink. We read reviews before we went and were told to try these...we got one at the bar on our way to the room. Super. Evening music and dancing was great. We did not have kids with us, but this place really goes out of its way to take care of the kids. Wonderful experience. Vacation Express does a great job...however, we really disliked leaving at 12:30 for our 4:45 flight departure. We sat for over 3 hours in the airport.
No reason we could see for doing that. TIP - take a book for the 1 hour bus rides to and from...also for the long airport wait. Also bring food from the resort with you to munch on at the airport. Have fun! Feel free to email with any specific questions. David

TravlinTone's new Dominican Republic Page

by TravlinTone

Jenny and I took a last minute break to the Dominican Republic from the UK with Airtours to celebrate our wedding anniversary (any excuse to get to the sun!). We don’t usually do ‘package’ trips preferring to travel independently but we found a terrific last minute offer via the www.mytravel.co.uk site. We originally bid on their auction site but got beaten twice. A phone call to the company however got a much better price than either of the final auction bids!. The cost for the all-inclusive week was less than a weekend away at a good hotel in the UK. Accommodation was ‘allocation on arrival’ and guaranteed 3 star minimum. In fact we ended up at the all inclusive 5 star Sirenis Cocotal resort near Punta Cana on the east side of the Island.
Everything about the resort was GREAT for lazing in the sun for a week, over-eating and over drinking, but it might as well have been on the moon as far as learning anything about the Dominican Republic. We did take an expensive one-day organised trip to the capital ($60 each). It was a long trip (3 and a half hours each way on bumpy roads). We enjoyed our trip around the Zona Colonial and the Columbus Lighthouse but we could have done without the Sea-life Centre (duh?) and the inevitable ‘shopping’ stops to earn the tour guide commission – (why is it tour operators think people travel a third of the way around the world to shop for crap souvenirs?).
There were other trips on offer (monster truck safari etc) but not really our bag so we spent most of the time lazing by the pool and on the beach.
Everything about the resort was excellent for chilling out, not least as the place was only a quarter full, (we had one of the 4 ‘bookable’ restaurants completely to ourselves one night and on another night there were just 4 of us in the ‘a la carte’ restaurant). Most people seemed content to eat at the main buffet where there was always a huge choice of good food. There was also plenty of entertainment available for those who wanted it.
We would definitely recommend the resort if you are interested in just a beach holiday but it is a LONG way from anywhere if you want to see something of the Dominican Republic (there is not even a village nearby just all inclusive resorts every few miles along the beach).
PHOTO Tony on the beach near the resort – yes, it really was this quiet!

tropical suites on the left & cocotal on the righttropical suites on the left & cocotal on the right

Macao BeachMacao Beach

Shade areaShade area

Map of ResortMap of Resort

Sirenis Cocotal Hotel

by Wendie1

Has anyone stayed at the Sirenis Cocotal In Dominican Republic. Any views? Does this hotel supply beach towels and safety deposit boxes?
Going first two weeks of March, whats the weather like?

Sirenis Cocotal Beach Reasort

by Wendie1

Please can someone give me information on this hotel. Have booked to go 6th March, but now are being told it's a BAD choice. Do they provide beach towels, are their sun loungers on the beach, are they staff friendly, is their a safety deposit box in the room, is the food good, is their long queues for drinks??????
Any reviews would be welcome
Thanks

Re: Sirenis Cocotal Beach Reasort

by lea123

Hey!
Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks last September and I thought it was great. They give you cards which you exchange for beach towels at a hut by the pool. The have loungers with palapa shade huts round the huge pool and on the beach. The beach is fab. You can walk for a couple of minutes and its like a deserted island-you rarely see anyone. There is a safe in the room but you have to pay, i can't remmeber how much but it wasnt expensive. The food is good. There are 2 buffet restaurants, plus an italian, mexican, chinese, steak house and medditerrenean.
All I would say is that if you love lots of nightlife, you may be disappointed. Unlike Cancun where i had gone the previous year, there is nothing outside the hotel for miles. The airport is an hour and half away. There are trips you can do in the day but there will be nowhere to go at night. The hotel does put on entertainment though.
Apart from that it is a great hotel and we loved it.

Re: Sirenis Cocotal Beach Reasort

by PCARDEY

Wendie

I stayed her last September and the hotel is 1st Class.

Very clean, staff excellent, food was excellent never had any complaints about anything apart from no night life around the hotel and because it is isolated.

Apart from that brilliant

You will enjoy it.

PC

Re: Re: Sirenis Cocotal Beach Reasort

by Calor

Was there last September..I stayed at Sirenis Tropical wihch is basically the same hotel...I had absolutely no complaints..except the entertainment was totally CHEESY..but it was fine all in all...no sickness or anything..bottled water all the time..great food etc.

staying at Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Spa, Punta Cana in october

by rkenny85

hi guys.

i am thinking of booking a holiday staying at the Sirenis Cocotal Beach Resort Casino & Spa, Punta Cana from october 3rd for two weeks.

for starters i was wondering if the weather will be a problem?

seconds has anyone stayed there and have an reviews/ advice?

thanks in advance

by marielexoteria

I don't think you'll have many problems with the weather. It's usually warm but not "I-can't-breathe-it's-too-hot-and-I'm-sweating-like-a-pig-without-doing-anything" warm. If there's rain, it might be a quick shower and then back to warm.

The months that are usually cold (for us Dominicans cold is under 20C) are late Dec-mid Feb, but I was in Santo Domingo in Feb and it was nice and warm. Mind you, I live in Sweden now so anything is warm hehe.

I haven't been to Punta Cana but the only thing I'd have to say is that 2 weeks might be a bit too long to stay at an AI, but that's just me you see? If the price is right and the hotel offers you plenty to do then by all means, go for it.

by ricky52

Trying to predict the weather can be difficult because of local on the day variations.
This information should be used as a guide only.
Here is the average weather for Punta Cana for this time of year.
Enjoy your holiday.

October
High 85f / 29c
Low 75f / 24c

by marielexoteria

Where do you find that info, ricky? Just curious.

www.wunderground.com

I use it for all my weather answers here on the forum.

by marielexoteria

Thanks ricky. Just another question, can you see weather forecasts "back in time"? As in, I wanna see what the weather was in this past January? That if I can't see what the forecast is next January.

Thanks ricky.

Just another question: can you see weather forecasts back in time? For ex. I wanna see what the weather was in last January? That if I can't see the forecast for next January.

Yes you can.