Minitas Beach, La Romana, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Orbitz.com Expedia.com amextravel.com

Costs 82% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• WStat's Profile Photo

another way to spend your money !

Located at the Dominican south coast, on approx. 28 square kms, surrounded by sumptuous vegetation the Casa de Campo is one of the most comfortable gulf and holiday resorts of the Caribbean.
    Around the reception-building different pools and restaurants, hairdresser and fashion shops are situated; the large and tastefully decorated rooms are positioned in one- or two-storied terrace-houses, grouped around the main building. The artist village „Altos de Chavón “ on top of an adjacent hill (connected to the resort by a shuttle-service) offers many amenities, like fashion shops, galleries, arts and crafts shops and an Amphitheater with weekly performances. There are numerous sport-facilities like 13 tenniscourts, a riding-range, polo-court and 3 golf-courses.The beautiful beach is also served by a shuttle-service, as distances within Casa de Campo are vast. For most rooms therefore a golf-cart is included into the daily room-rate.
    A spa , wellness- and fitness-center are also available.
    Evening shows and disco in the stylish ambiance of Altos de Chavon

Unique Quality: A lush retreat of unsurpassed elegance and breathtaking beauty, where action, relaxation and pampering service combine for an exceptional leisure experience. Either beautifully decorated guestrooms or comfortable and spacious villa-homes available. Disadvatage: a very large resort with long ways between rooms, reception, beach and restaurants.
    The resort is an expensive and exclusive, secluded (and safe) haven for the rich golf- and sport-addicts.

Directions: La Romana lies about 50 kms east of Santo Domingo on the South Coast

More about Casa de Campo

Pros and Cons of Casa de Campo

by TripAdvisor Member mrwanderlust

This was my first time visiting this resort, but I will definitely go back. The people are very friendly and nearly all of them are bilingual. Just about every outdoor activity you can think of is available here.

I visited all the resort's restaurants at least once during my stay (except "Cafe del Rio", which was closed). My favorite was El Pescador. They have a great lunch menu and a wonderful view of the beach and sea, but the drinks were only second-rate. The food at La Piazetta and El Tropicana was also very good. The best drinks were at the Pot Bunker sports bar (try the "Triple Play" drink) and La Cana bar (try the "Casa de Campo").

I was there in July, which is a very slow time of year. On the one hand, this was good because there are no crowds. On the other hand...there are no crowds! The nightclub in Altos de Chavon was virtually empty on a Saturday night. And several of the activities I registered for were canceled due to lack of participation. So, if you're expecting to participate in group activities (tournaments, sightseeing excursions, etc.) I'd suggest visiting during the high season (Jan-Mar).

The resort's biggest asset--its massive size (7000 acres)--is also a liability. Getting around the resort is no easy task. The golf carts are definitely helpful, but they are very slow (10 mph max...if you're lucky). From the hotel, it's about a 10-minute drive to the beach and about 20 minutes to the marina. Often, you must drive through clouds of dirt, due to all the construction around the property. The golf carts have no windshield, so if it rains, you may wish to pursue alternate transportation.

Additional suggestions:

1) If you play tennis, bring your own tennis balls with you. If not, you'll be forced to buy balls from the tennis shop at US$10 per can.

2) Definitely reserve a touring (golf) cart. The property is far too huge to traverse on foot, particularly in the 90-degree heat and humidity.

3) Don't drink the water. I got sick after the first few days, despite the resort's claim that the water is purified. Stick to bottled water, which you can buy at the grocery store at the marina.

4) If you're easily scared by bugs, this may not be the place for you. My room got invaded by some ant-like insects during my stay and the exterminator had to come spray the room.

Overall, I enjoyed my trip and plan to re-visit within the next year or two. It is highly recommended. Enjoy!

It's Got Everthing!

by starship about Casa de Campo Resort

As mentioned in previous tips, the Casa de Campo Resort encompasses 7,000 acres of beaches, some of the best golf in the Caribbean if not the world, a marina, shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and the artisans Village of Altos de Chavon. Within Casa de Campo you will find a hotel complex, rental villas, vacation homes and more.

All accommodations have upscale furnishings and bedding, air-conditioning, bathrobes, vanity & dressing areas, irons, hair-dryers, cable TV, Bose Wave Radio, safes, mini-bar and coffee makers, not to mention private terraces.

Located in the resort are numerous restaurants including: 19th Hole; Cafe de Sol; Chinois, Lago Grill,; El pescador; Tropicana Grill and at least 3 other restaurants!!

In addition to golf, you will find plenty of beach, watersports, biking, pools, equestrian center, skeet & trap shooting, and night-time entertainment. Activities for families are not forgotten nor are numerous excursions that can be booked from the hotel.

This place is not for the light of pocket, but those who vacation here probably don't have to worry about that! However, specials can sometimes be had, so it would be wise to consult your travel agent or if all else fails, surf the net!!

General recommendations

by marielexoteria about AI or non AI, that is the question

In DR you'll find 2 basic kinds of hotels: AI (all-inclusive) and non AI. The advantage of the AI hotels is that you pay one price that includes the room, the 3 meals, snacks, all the local alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks, entertainment and taxes. The price will obviously vary depending on the room you choose (with or without ocean/garden/pool view, standard or suite, etc.), how long in advance you book and if the chosen dates are low or high season or red days. The bad thing about AI is that you're pretty much stuck in there and you don't get a feel of the real culture - I mean, you've paid for all 3 meals so it wouldn't be too much of a good deal to go out and around on your own or even paying an excursion (not that there's anything wrong with it). By all means, if you find an excursion that you like and if the price is right go for it!

The non AI hotels give you the freedom to come and go as you please, as you only pay for the room and their prices include taxes and sometimes breakfast.

Having said that, choosing a hotel will depend on what you want to do, where you're visiting and how much Spanish you know. That is, if you just want to relax at the beach then by all means go for an AI. Some provinces have non AI hotels that don't cater tourists basically because tourists don't go there in such numbers that they feel the need to look for bilingual staff and this is where Spanish comes in handy. However, don't let the lack of knowledge of Spanish discourage you from exploring the hidden gems of my country, just bring a Spanish phrase book; pointing and body language always help ;) and Dominicans are always willing to help you out.

As in all other parts of the world, prices can go from cheap to most expensive, being (IMO) Casa de Campo hotel in La Romana and the Punta Cana/Bávaro area the most expensive areas. Juan Dolio and Puerto Plata/Sosúa/Cabarete hotels have average prices.

When I think of La Romana, I...

by Patricialuv

When I think of La Romana, I think of lots of sugar cane fields, many baseball fields, famous baseball players, and Casa de Campo! This Casa de Campo resort is the best in La Romana. It has a large golf course (for those who like golf) but there's something for everybody in there. There are beaches, nice accomodations and plenty of activities to do too.

Fabulous Vacation

My husband and I organized pleasure trip for 18 couples to Casa De Campo in April 2004. It is a challenge to please such a large group with many diverse interests. EVERYONE, however, had a FABULOUS time!

The luxury rooms were very nice, the staff were helpful and well-trained, the food was excellent, and the alcohol (of which we consumed a great deal) was premium.

I had read other reviews prior to booking this event which were not favorable, and I was leary. Having been there myself, I can only say that a person who stayed at Casa de Campo and did not have a good time would find fault at ANY resort!

Best of both worlds

My family and i just returned from a two week vacation in the Dominican Republic staying in Casa de Campo. We have been here many times before, but never in the summer during the off season. We have always stayed in a private home, which can make this trip much more relaxing. The houses we have stayed in have all had four air-conditioned bedrooms, swimming pool, large living areas with cable tv and a maid/cook who does the laundry daily and cooks breakfast and lunch for our family. This is one of the best parts of the vacation- that you are waited on every moment. We would drive our rental car into La Romana daily for the things we need- they just opened a huge new "Wal-Mart style" store called Jumbo 5 minutes drive from the resort. They sell virtually everything you need from groceries, banking services, fed-ex shipping, American Airlines office and have the best rum prices around. For the real expereince of shopping, we take our cook to the open market to buy fresh vegeatbles and fresh chickens at local prices.
La Romana can be a little bewildering to the American tourist. It is not like driving in the USA but it is not dangerous, just different. The small beer stands, the art stores, the fresh bakeries, the little coffee shops are all part of the Dominican experience for us. We even eat in town several times during our stay because the food quality is great, the prices reasonable and the crowd is definitely not touristy. For that, we can eat at the Casa de Campo restaurants, which we find a little lacking in quality and kind of expensive.
The golf is great at Casa de Campo, the tennis very good except for the heat, the beach is fine for a resort.
To stay at Casa de Campo you must rent a golf cart to get around. Try to ask in your best Spanish for a new one, one's whose numbers start in the 800's are the best and newest. These cost $29/day.
For day trips, we like to head off to the public access beach at Playa Domenicus or to Bavaro Beach. These gaunts are into the Dominincan country side, where you will experience the wonderful nature of the people.
We would highly recommend the DR for a vacation; however, be ready for a unique experience.

Beautiful Paradise!

My fiance and I just got back from Casa de Campo for 5 nights and had a fabulous time! We absolutely loved Casa de Campo, from the food to (5 out of 6 times-the Asian restaurant was not good) and the service (always friendly).

We stayed in a luxury room overlooking the driving range-perfect for my avid golfer fiance. The room is lovely with tall pitched-roof ceilings! We thorougly enjoyed breakfast each morning at the Lagos Grill overlooking the golf course and Caribbean sea.

The only drawback was the beach at Casa de Campo is very small and is "man-made." We took a day trip to Catalina and Saona islands where the natural beaches are magnificent. Despite the lack of beach at Casa, we enjoyed the lush, tropical surroundings and the outstanding service.

We highly recommend this resort, but call ahead to make sure the golf course you want to play will be open if in the off-season, as they do a lot of construction that time of year. Also, the pool and one of the restaurants in the main area was closed, which we weren't informed of before our arrival. However, we would rather deal with that than crowds of people, which is why we like to travel in the off-season.

Another tip: the best deal on cigars and art is to go into La Romana to one of the stores or to the Vintu Bambu for an amazinf selection of Dominican and Haitian art and bargain prices.

So Much To Do!

I just returned from my 1st visit to Casa de Campo and had a great time. This is not a place to come if are ONLY looking to sit by the pool or on a beach for a week. They both left something to be desired.
My boyfriend golfed everyday and raved about all the courses. I took some polo lessons and did some trail riding, both which couldn't have been better. They let me have the same awesome horse everytime I showed up and the people working everywhere on the resort could not have been nicer. The food was good but I would not bother w/the meal plan next time. I'll also stay in a villa next time vs. a room. Great shopping @ the Marina. Altos de Chavon is breathtaking. Whatever you do make sure you reserve a golfcart! Absolutely necessary & well worth it! Can't wait to go back!

A Perfect Honeymoon!

by TripAdvisor Member cubtie

Wow! My husband and I just got back from a fabulous week long honeymoon in Casa de Campo. We couldn't have asked for more!

The food, service, accommodations, prices, and attractions were out of this world!

Food and Restaurants -
We took advantage of the supermarket at the marina to stock up on some foods to have our butler prepare for us for some dinners and lunches. We also enjoyed many nights out for dinner, our favorite was the Piazzatta at Altos de Chavon.

We were regulars at the Sports Bar. Fabian the bartender is great! The bar was always pretty empty (off-season at the resort) making it a sharp change from what we're used to at home!

Our only con is the Lagos Grill Buffet. We did not have an inclusive package and ended paying WAY too much for the buffet.

Activities-
We enjoyed an hour horseback riding adventure. The instructors we awesome and kept up my spirits as I got a little nervous on my horse!

There is nothing like playing tennis with a ball boy! We aren't the best of players and typically spend half of our time retrieving the balls as we play. Casa de Campo Tennis Center offers a ball boy to do the retrieving for you (only $2)! We also have the luck to have two of the professionals on the staff play with us! They offered tips and tricks as we attempted to better our game.

On Friday night we took the Catamaran Sunset Cruise. It was beautiful! Only 4 couples on board, so the romance couldn't get distracted!

Golfing-
Unfortunately only the Teeth of the Dog was open during our stay. However, we made good use of it! The course was beautiful and challenging! I don't even play, yet I spent two full mornings riding with my husband as he played. He gives two thumbs up to the Caddies. They apparently know all that there is to know about the greens! They, without a doubt (according to my husband) well worth the money (only $16)!

This resort is intended for those wanting top of the line service, not an "Americanized" all-inclusive vacation.

Plaza Portofino at La Marina - Casa de CampoPlaza Portofino at La Marina - Casa de Campo

Casa De Campo

by jessie76

Hi there! Has anyone been to Casa De Campo, and if so, do you have any suggestions as to things to do or see while we are there? We have a full day there afternoon and evening. Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks!!