Barcelo Premium

Costs 43% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Premium

Magnificent, a must go!

by TripAdvisor Member CubEgyp

have just returned from the flamenco a few hours ago, and have some jet lag, so sorry if this is full of mistakes.

The hotel is wonderful. There are 4 proper restaurants in the hotel.
The first is a buffet, each night this is themed, examples of themes
are english, dominican, bbq, gala, spanish, german, french etc. The
food in the buffet is quite nice compared to other buffets, at other
hotels. There are often prawns, there is always a calvery, there is a
pasta station, where a chef cooks pasta for you, with the ingrediants
that you choose. They also do lunch in the buffet, which is nice too,
but not themed.

There is also an Italian restaurant, this is ok, but nothing too
exciting, just don't ask for macaroni cheese because they just give you
a plate of pasta (not macaroni) with grated cheese. You can go here 1
time a week

There is also a steak house, which again you need to book, and can go
there once a week. The food here is very nice, but there isn't anything
for vegeterians.

There is also a mexican, which is a limit of once a week and you have
to book. This isn't open very much (only 3 times a week!) so make sure
you book early. The food here is really nice.

There is also an à la carte pizzeria, but you don't have to book and
can go as much as you like. The pizzas are the best I've ever had,
they're cooked in an italian stove! The atmosphere is superb, it's a
terrest restaurant, overlooking the main stage. You can't not go to the
pizzeria if staying at the flamenco, because it's the best one (in my
opinion)

Also, you can use the dine around service to go to the other occidental
restaurants in playa dorada. I strongly reccommend the brazilian at the
club on the green. It's a set menu, and a pure meat one. The waiters
come round to your tables with the meat on swords and dish it up to you
on that! Warning it's not for vegeterians!!! This restaurant has a very
nice atmosphere.

The pools are quite nice, although, in the small pool, there is a small
water fountain going into the pool, fed by one about 1 and a half
meters up from the pool, which from there it possible to climb on to
the roof of the pump room. Well people like to climb up here, which is
about 2 and a half meters above the pool and jump/dive etc in. This
proves very annoying as it uses up lots of the pool and they become
very noisy, however staff do try (being the operative word) to stop
people.

From Friday to Sunday two life guards come to each of the pools, this
is due to the dominicans coming to stay in the hotel, they're very loud
and stupid, so they're therefore required. Be careful because the life
guard on the small pool will have a go at you if you even jump in!

Another thing to be careful of is towel steeling. It's an ongoing thing
that people lose towels and then take someone else's and then they have
lost their towels so the problem keeps on going. Just be careful.

The daytime entertainment was amazingly good, with activities such as
mini-golf, scholan, schuffleboard, bowels/botanca/boucha, football,
water polo, watervolley, darts, horse shoes, houpla etc. For each game
you win, you get 1 point, if you get 3 points you can swap them for a
hat a bottle of rum, if you get 5, you get a hat, t-shirt and bottle of
rum.

The evening shoes are very professional, there are actual dancers,
rather than the normal entertainers, and lots of backstage people. I
don't want to ruin any more for you.

Golfers, there is the world famous Robert Trent Jones course, in Playa
Dorada, it's one of the nicest golf courses in the world!

Fisherman, don't even bother trying fishing in the sea, you'll be luck
to get a fish a day, but...if you walk to the gold course with rods,
there are two men who sell worms (as well as a load of other things)
called Danny and Mocka, they will sell a cup of worms for 200 pasos
(about £4). They will also show you the best lake(s) to fish on, on the
golf course, which you're allowed to fish in! The fish are about a foot
big! Remember that the Dom Rep is a 3rd world country and the hotel
staf get payed £1.50 a day, so if you give them your fish, they'll love
you, honestly!

The beach is ok, but nothing special, it's quite busy, if you would
like a quiet bit of beach, walk right along the coast, for about 15/20
mins, there the sand is nicer, your not in a hotel and the water is a
lot clearer.

Beware though, there are dodgy people around, that try to sell you
things and even buy people. There is a plaza just outside the hotel (if
you go there go out the shopping arcade exit, it's 10 mins quicker!),
there is not such thing as free internet, it's a con and the trips are
dodgy and they don't have insurance.

Don't worry about what someone else wrote about the pesticides. The
pesticide used is called DDT, it is sprayed at 0.02ppm (parts per
million), for it to be at a remotely dangerous leval, it must be at
40,000PPM and the only way it can go up is through a process called
bioacculuation, which is basically animals eating animals with DDT and
it builds up, but you're safe!

There is quite limited hot water, so don't wait too late to shower.

There os a disco on the beach, which in the week plays mainly western
music and at the weekends marangue (because the Dominicans come)

There is a shopping arcade with a few shops, but remember the is a $20
depature fee, so don't spend all your money!

The staff are all very friendly, and willing to help.

The hotel has a massage palor which costs $25 per hour (about £15)

I stayed in block 12 and it was nice, a you couldn't hear anything.
Block 10 is right next to the main stage, but that stops at 11pm, so
it's not too late, however the disco is open until 3 am, but you have
to pay for drinks after midnight. Building 12 is the nearest to it, and
you can't hear it.

My pillow was fine!

There is icecreams in the restaurants, which is nice and crisps in the
mexican (which is open everyday as a snack bar).

The is a mini club for 4 (I think) to 9 year olds and a mini-disco.

The occidental grand flamenco puerto plata beach resort is a fantastic
hotel, I've told you all the negative bits, and but a few of the the
positives. If you would like a fantastic holiday, this hotel is for
you. (It's thought of as the nicest playa dorada hotel)

Excellent Relaxing Lots Of nice staff

awesome awesome awesome,that should tell u about the good time great food great staff freindly ultra great place not a 5 star but they make up for that would go back and vist.

Horrible

It was the worst hotel I ever had! No third bed for kiddy, no working AC for few days, changing two times rooms cause problems with lights and water. Stuff ok, but management not interested. Never again!!

The best Vacation ever!

I went to this resort on August 25, 2003 for a week. It was my first vacation and definitely not my last. I went with two of my girlfriends and we had such an amazing time. At first I was complaining about the musky smell in the lobby and how it rained during the first couple of days we were there. You'll get used to the smell after a while and we also went during low season.The staff was really friendly and hardworking. We gave them extra tip because they don't make a lot of money.We went on the Paradise Island and Jeep Safari excursions. Both trips were worth it because we got to see how Dominicans live. Do not pay for the excursions through the hotel because you can get a cheaper deal from Alves Travel in the Hotel (I think that's what it's called). I would recommend the Paradise Island trip because you get to go snorkeling with fishes in the clear blue ocean.The hotel itself was beautiful, especially the garden. The rooms were decent, even though the furniture is pretty old and our bathroom had a small leak in it. You're not going to spend a lot of time in the hotel room anyway. You will sleep comfortably and there's air-conditioning as well. The pool was pretty big; I liked the swim up bar best. The food was good, but I got sick of it by the end of the week. The steak restaurant was my favourite and the Mexican was my least favourite one. Mr. Spaghetti (the fun club guy) is a funny guy; tell him his Canadian friend, Lulu says hi.The disco in this hotel was boring. I recommend the Crazy Moon or Hemmingways. You have to pay 50 pesos to get into the Crazy Moon on Saturday. The Crazy Moon is located in Paradise Hotel where you have access to the Casino as well. Hemmingways is located in mall across from this hotel. Both clubs play urban music (hip hop & RNB) and meringue as well. I heard downtown was pretty fun, but we didn't go because it wouldn't be safe for the three of us girls to party there.You should wait to buy all your gifts. There will be cheaper souvenir shops when you go on the excursions and the mall also has cheaper deals than the hotel stores. DO NOT buy your gifts in the hotel stores. I bought a carton of Marlboros for 300 pesos, whereas my friends got it for 235 pesos in the mall. You can bargain as well, don't feel bad because they will probably rip you off like they did with us on our first day.Go lookout at the stars at night on the beach, it's a breath taking view; it looks like something you would see in a painting.You must apply a lot of sunscreen because the son is pretty strong (Dominican is located near the equator). If you get braids, use the spray sunscreen. Bring a lot of sanitizer when you go on your excursions. Do not drink the water to be on the safe side. Bring a lot of bug spray. You'll be fine on your vacation as long as you don't expect too much. Have a safe and fun vacation.-Lulu Chanthaphavong-

Can't wait to go back!

I am in my early 20's and I got back from a great vacation at this hotel this week. I wen't with a friend of mine and we had a wonderful time. The beach is nice and big and the ocean very blue. We stayed at the pool alot because during the day it is very windy at the beach and the sand goes in your eyes. Because it was low season we had no problem getting a hut by the pool. The only thing is they only give soft drinks at the pool bar, if you want a real drink you have to upstairs. The rooms were okay I would only rate them a 3*. The washrooms are very big in the rooms I have never seen anything like that before. It does rain a lot at night and our washroom roof dripped. The food was okay nothing to write home about, but my belly was always full. If you are really picky eater I wouldn't go here. They do make really good drinks and the staff is very fast. The nightly enertainment was the best part. Every night they have something different, very good shows. The entertainment staff are very friendly (ladies watch out for the men!). The disco was dead, but the drinks there are now all inclusive. You had to pay before, but they just changed that. My friend and I would drink at the disco then go to Crazy Moon a 2 minute walk. The music is really good.
I loved the Dominican and I can't wait to go back. I would stay at this resort again. If you are easy going you will love it here. If you are expecting a 5* resort you are not going to like it. Have a great trip!

Punta Cana 6/7/00 to 6/14/00

by ldilauro

"Occidental Flamenco Bavaro - Punta Cana"

Punta Cana 6/7/00 to 6/14/00
Resort – Occidental Flamenco Bavaro

FROM CLEVELAND TO PUNTA CANA:
We had an on time departed from Cleveland, Ohio on SunWorld Airlines (Charter Plane with Apple Vacations) and 4 hours later we arrived at the Punta Cana Airport. Upon arrival we had to purchase the Tourist Card for $10 US from a kiosk once you get off the plane. There were two young ladies standing at the end of the walk way who stopped everyone and posed with you for a photo, we were offered the chance to purchase the photo when we departed a week later for $6 US. Immigration went quickly, passports were stamped and that was it. We were waved through customs and on our way to the bus to the hotel.

ARRIVAL AT THE HOTEL (OCCIDENTAL FLAMENCO BAVARO)
We were told that Apple Vacationers had their own private check in but that really wasn’t the case, we had to stand in line with everyone else. The guest services people had no control over the room assignments, when I inquired about upgrading to an oceanview room I was told that I had to speak with my Apple Representative. As it turns out the Apple Rep has total control of what room you get. We did upgrade to an oceanview suite in the Club Miguel and it was well worth the extra $$. One other thing, if you are traveling with Apple Vacations I learned that if you paid what they call a Super Saver Rate then even though your travel agent requests an oceanview room, you will not be assigned to one even if one is available. The upgrade would be $8 per person per night for a std oceanview. Buildings 25, 26 and 13 have the best chance of an oceanview from a standard room. I know for a fact the rooms 204 & 205 in Bldg 13 have great oceanviews. In Bldg 26 beware that it is very close to the Beach Bar and the party starts 11:30pm and ends sometime after 1am.

THE ROOMS:
The Standard rooms are decent. They have tile floors, central air, ceiling fan, mini bar that is stocked once per week (unless you tip daily, I hear). The electricity is turned on by a key card inserted into a slot in the wall. You can take this card off of the key ring and leave it in the wall so your air conditioner will stay on constantly.

The Club Miguel Suites are WONDERFUL. It’s a two room suite, living room and dinette area separated from the bedroom. The refridge is stocked daily (no extra tip needed) The bathroom is huge and has his and her showers. No key card needed to activate the electricity and the balcony is twice the size. There are 3 buildings in the Club Complex and all have oceanview. We were in Bldg 21 and the view was great, it was however close to the beach bar. Because I had read the reviews on Debbie’s website before we went I knew to take earplugs. The whole Club “experience” is great, you have your own private pool, you don’t have to play the beach towel swap game, you have a private bar with top shelf alcohol and in the mornings you can have breakfast here. If you stay at the Club one of the 3 Ana’s will take real good care of you and they make very good drinks. You also can make same day reservations for the non buffet restaurants at any time, all others have to stand in line the day before for reservations. You also have private access to a pc to check email if you like. You get a red wrist band to wear and that’s how they know you have club privileges. We have no complaints at all with our experience at Club Miguel Angel.

RESTAURANTS:
The main buffet served all 3 meals. Breakfast had all the usual items. Lunch also had a variety of items and Dinner was a different theme every night. The Dinner buffet had different food stations – 2 stations for Main Dishes, always a cooked veggie table, Rolls & Bread Table, Salad Table, Soup, Fruit Table, and 2 wonderful Dessert tables. The food was decent not spectacular but we were happy with it. The best desserts were eclairs, mini cream puffs and this peanut brittle looking dessert. The desserts changed daily and there was always something good.

LAS RESES
The Reservation needed Steak/Grill Rest.
We had the T-bone and it was good. You can visit the salad bar and the dessert table and the service was good.

VIA VENETO
The Reservation Needed Italian Rest.
The food here is comparable to that of the Olive Garden.

LA HACIENDA
The Reservation Needed Mexican Rest.
I would have expected this to be better. We really didn’t care for the food at all.
The beauty of it all was we just left and went to the buffet.

TAQUERIA ANTOJITOS
No reservation needed Taco place.
You have at least 8 different Tosadas with various toppings to choose from. We only tried 2 of the varieties and it was pretty good.

Pizzeria La Fontana
No Reservation needed Pizza Place.
Again, you have a selection of pizzas to choose from and they are pretty good.

EL LAGO
No Reservation Needed Snack Bar.
Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Fries and that type of thing.

THE BEACH BAR
Served Lunch only and it’s a buffet. We ate there everyday since it was the closest to beach where we spent most of our time.

THE BEACH:
The Beach was wonderful and the water was calm enough to swim. You couldn’t snorkel right off of the beach because the small reefs were outside of the swimming area and there were to many motorize watercraft zooming by constantly. Quite a few women are topless and since the majority of the guests are European (German and French) this is accepted. There are guards on duty at all times on the beach, they are helpful in keeping the traveling vendors under control.

OFF PROPERTY RESTAURANT – CAPTAIN COOKS
This restaurant is a 15 –20 min walk down the beach (you have to pass the Fiesta hotel next door) The food was GREAT, we picked our huge fresh lobsters out of a barrel and had them grilled, we had beer and fried potatoes and it only cost us $75 US. It was a bargain – you would have had to seen how large these lobsters were to understand.

SHOPPING:
The better prices were found at the shops on the beach right next door to Capt Cooks. Bartering is expected. You can also shop a Bavaro Plaza right outside of the driveway to the Occidental.

ENTERTAINMENT
The Fun Club Staff has a list of daily activities that you can participate in, just check the Fun Club board for days and times.

The best activity that we did was learning how to sail a Hobie Cat. You have to go out with an instructor before they let you take one on your own.

Every night there is a show for kids ( the same show over and over and over)
The House Band before the main show is pretty good. At 10:00pm the adult show starts and it does change nightly. After the show is over everyone heads to the Beach Bar to party well into the night.

DAY TRIPS:
We took the Monster Truck Tour and the Catalina Island Tour. Both were all day excursions and we had the best food of the whole trip on these tours. Both tours were pretty pricey but they were worth it. It was a pleasant change to get off of the hotel grounds.

MISC:
1. The Off Bug spray came in handy at night. The bugs weren’t too bad but we were glad we had it.
2. Bring lots of sun screen and extra on top of that. It is expensive to buy it there. Also, if you are in a standard room and need to purchase bottled water, the hotel charges $2 US per bottle but you can buy it for $1 US at the Bavaro Plaza.
3. Bring lots of small bills. We never had to exchange any money into pesos.

We had a great time at the Occidental and we wouldn’t hesitate to go back.

"Helechos" (Fern according to wikipedia)"Helechos" (Fern according to wikipedia)

Our bedroomOur bedroom

Cigar FactoryCigar Factory

Fort San FelipeFort San Felipe

sea bathing Cofresi Puerto Plata Dominican Republic

by janmyfanwy

I am going on holiday to the Hacienda Garden Club Puerto Plata ( I think) Nth Domincan Replublic and would like to know the best place for snorkeling and seeing local marine life, also the best way of seeing the wildlife of the country.

Janmyfanwy

Punta Cana - Wheather in May?

by LadyTourist

Hello!

We are traveling to Punta Cana at beginning of May and we are afraid about raining season which should start at the same time. Is it raining for long time during day? Is there still chance for Sun?
Was there anyone at May there?

Thanks in advance for any reply :=))

Eva

by marielexoteria

I haven't been to Punta Cana but I'm Dominican and I lived in my country until 2003. May is the month where we get the most rain, but it usually means short showers and then the sun is out and shining. Even when raining it's warm.

by asahelys1

I've gone to DR plenty of times, specially in May bc its my Bday I have not experienced any rain, maybe a shower passed by but not that I can recall, however, in the Caribbean that may last a few minutes. ps The best disco in Punta Cana is next to the Occidental Grand its called Mangu & its the hottest spot on the east, Enjoy your Trip!

by marielexoteria

Asahelys you must've been lucky to have sunshine in May ;) with that I don't mean we don't see the sun the whole month!

by nancydear

Hello,
We are booked into the Melia Caribe for May 11-15. When are you going?
Also I have it is Florida rain then sunshine is this true????
The hotel reviews are good and bad Has anyone been to this hotel.
I have heard that is HUGE and you have walk 5-10 min which is not a big deal to us. Any news on the Spa would be great!
Thanks
Nancy

by ArenJo

I was in Puerto Plata last May for a week and didn't see one drop of rain. Hopefully you have the same luck.

Comments