Playa Dorada 538, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• BelaDeOliveira's Profile Photo

Puerto Plata's Paradise Hide-away

In early October of 2010, I stayed at the Blue Bay Villas Doradas. All the staff was wonderful, friendly, and simply delightful people from the time we checked in at the resort to the moment we left to return home.
    The service was outstanding and the restaurants served good quality food that met all guest's dietary needs. Plenty of amenities at the resort to insure a great time. The spa is a "must do" for anyone staying at the Blue Bay; the spa offers reasonable prices for the service that they provide. The entertainment crew were hillarious and outstanding in making all the guests have a great time. Night club dancing available nightly at CoCo Bongo; had a great time there.

Unique Quality: The beach was my favorite because of its soft sandy beach without rocks and clear water. The ocean view simply allows you to relax! Therefore, if you are looking for paradise setting, tropical drink in hand, and relaxation but crave nightly entertainment, then look no further......Blue Bay Villas Doradas Resort in Puerto Plata awaits you!!!!!! Have fun.

More about BlueBay Villas Doradas

Relaxing vacation- adults only

by madmary71 about Blue Bay Villas Dorada

My friends and I took the easy way to book a vacation....a package deal! It was a last minute decision for me to go to DH, although I was the third wheel to my friends who are a couple (they don't mind). So upon arriving at the airport, we were the escorted to a bus full of tourist as well, and we were the first off the bus. Upon arriving at the reception it was so amazing to see a huge and inviting lobby. Reception staff are friendly and can speak Spanish, English even French. Our room was facing the "quite" pool where the spa and gym are located, which is great 'coz we were planning to get some massage and facials anyway. The beach is located all the way in the back connected by a mini-bridge/pathway. I like the ambiance of the place and the fact you can really relax without hearing the screaming kids or babies. There are 4 restaurants, but we frequent the buffet- we like the food better there. Staff are super-friendly not to mention we kind of attract attention just for being the only Asians in the hotel. So watch out Asian ladies, the more good-looking you are, these Dominican men will be after you!
I have to make a special mention of the "Animacion" team aka entertainers, these are a group of enthusiastic people who are there to make you laugh, play games, and even a nightly dance... I crack up with the likes of Cappucino, Mosquito, and Rosa!!! There are staff and waiters at the beach while you're sun tanning, they'll provide you lounge chairs and even take your order of mojitos, or pina coladas.
There are beautiful lounge beds the are lined next to the pools (see my pic), and also located at the beach.
The fact that the hotel is within a complex of 4 other 4-5 star hotels, there are 2 discotheques, a casino, some restaurants, and a mini-mall so you are basically in a safe tourist filled compound.

Applasa plasa

by TripAdvisor Member truetizer

i have just come back from villas doradas and i still want to go back. it was such a good holiday. all the staff were excellent and very friendly. The fun team were amazing there work 24/7 and are smiling even if were not!! SHAGGY And MELVIN ARE DA BEST he he and not forgetting, the rest of them speedy, nancy and angalo. the evening entertainment was a bit crappy crappy when it was dancing quite a lot of the time, but when the audience was involved it was really funny!! overall an excellent holiday with great food as well. highly recommended if your up for a laugh and like making a fool of youself and not forgetting its ALL inclusive!!! so drinky drinky (ur understand these words, crappy crappy#clappy clappy#applasa plasa and IN THE WATER MATE) when u get there!! Thanks Villas doradas

Absolutley Superb!!!!

Just got back from 1 week at the hotel and i couldn't have enjoyed it more! i don't understand why anyone has slated it-they obviously weren't willing 2 join in with the fun and games. I'd say the FUN TEAM made it what it was. I don't think a day went by without them dragging me up 2 do something fun- games, merigue lessons or just 2 give me a massive hug! Speedy was superb- he knows how 2 treat each person, melvin+shaggy were fun too. Nancy is brilliant at entertaining the younger one1s. Evening shows were pretty good, dancing and competitions. Rooms were fine, tv had enough 2 watch and beds were comfy and big enough 2 spread yourself!!! Food was interesting- sumthing 4 every1, i'm a veggie and managed 2 eat 4 a week! Beach was lovely, pools were very clean. Bar had a great selection of cocktails-my personal favourite was the tekilla sunrise! but there's loads 2 choose from. Barmen were perfectly friendly. we did the monster truck safari- highly recomend it, take sweets 4 the kids though!
Overall-it was 1 of the best holidays i have had and i highly recomend it 2 any1 who want 2 have fun!!!!! If u go- make sure u tell speedy i said "hi"!!! *Robyn B*

worst hotel in the world

The standard of this hotel was appalling and should not have been even
a 2 star standard. We all had to complain about the rooms and were
routinely moved to other rooms throughout the say, no satisfactory
rooms were found we just got tired of moving everyday. Below I have
listed some of the experiences of the hotel 1)All rooms were filthy
dirty on both a superficial level (floors sweeping) and deeper level
(built up grime in corners, skirting boards, bathroom seals and
kitchenette equipment) 2)The standard of cleaning during the holiday
was poor, Examples being: floors occasionally swept but not mopped so
sand was just re-distributed, towels taken away but not replaced, my
own toiletries taken, bottles removed from the room (thefts were
commonplace and although these were reported to the hotel the staff
said they could do nothing about it and it wasnt worth reporting to the
local police) 3)Some days there was no hot water available 4)Lights in
the some corridors did not work. I found this very dangerous when
walking back to the room alone in the evening both for accidents and
security as a female alone. 5)Air-conditioning controls were broken
6)Some days air-conditioning systems did not work 7)Electrics regularly
fused for a number of reasons. This required a call to reception and a
wait in the dark for maintainance to arrive. 8)Fridges were not
available in some rooms and we were told they would be brought to the
rooms immediately upon request. Despite requesting these and being told
a fridge would be put in the room within the day, no fridge ever
arrived. 9)Furniture was in an appalling state of disrepair with door
handles falling off and cupboards and drawers without handles at all.
10)Room doors were not secure. In some rooms the door lock didnt work
or was falling off. 11)Rooms did not have an internal safely lock (e.g.
chain etc) so staff regularly walked straight into my room. 12)The food
was very poor and service in the restaurant non-existent. 13)When using
the voucher for the one night in the al a carte restaurant the food
standards were worse. The salad had been washed in local water and
tasted of sewerage. After eating this meal I was very sick. Also there
were cockroaches in the desserts. 14)My very first room change was
requested because the room was immediately adjacent to the
entertainments. The volume of the childrens disco which went on to
11.30 was horrendous, I would be interested to receive a decibel rating
as the volume was so loud it not only induced earache and headache but
toothache. There was no double glazing or sound-proofing in these
rooms. When I complained about the noise (as there were no guests in
the audience just the DJ) the reception greeted this with a fatalistic
yes we know attitude. Solutions would be to: soundproof the rooms, time
the entertainments more appropriately or reduce the volume. The hotel
management offered to move me at 11pm on the first night. Clearly this
was not very convenient. Moreover the room offered was along an unlit
corridor so I did not feel safe to move.15) Weekend tours for locals
and its effect on UK guests safety For some reason there was a massive
influx of Dominican locals into the hotel at weekends. When I visited
the Dominican Republic before my group became very friendly with the
local Dominicans who worked at the hotel (now the Air Paradise) and the
locals took us out the see the whole of the country and even to locals
nightclubs in the city and their home towns. I have always remembered
the locals I met on my last trip as being very friendly and convivial.I
was therefore shocked to experience the behaviour of the locals at the
Dorado Club Resort and it made me feel very unsafe. As people were
there on the all inclusive for a weekend only they completely abused
the alcohol and food. No matter how bad the UK tourists in faliraki are
reported for drunkenness the behaviour here from the locals was as bad
if not worse. So many locals were drunk in the pool on weekends that
this was the only time I saw a lifeguard. Groups of teenagers were very
drunk by mid-day with older youths getting alcohol for their underage
friends. Other guests told me that a couple had *** in the pool in
front of everyone else. Another couple had *** on the sunbeds in front
of children of the UK guests as young as 7 years old. The weekend
guests routinely defecated in the pool and again this was considered
par for the course. I personally had items stolen from around the pool
and when I reported this to reception I was advised not to be on the
hotel premises over the weekends as it just happens anyway. When these
complaints were put to the hotel management we were told that the hotel
was legally obliged to let the locals in by government policy. However
when I investigated a move to Air Paradise I was told they paid so they
didnt have to let locals in at the weekend. I would imagine that as the
standard of Dorado Club Resort was so poor they couldnt fill the rooms
without attracting the weekend drinkers spree. All in all the hotel was
a disgrace and the stress and fear of being in that place a complete
nightmare. I felt completely unsafe and at risk and cried every day and
every night of the holiday. Having travelled alone in the USA, the Far
East and Middle East on my own many times I never ever felt so
threatened and at risk as I did on this holiday. I can tolerate basic
accommodation, dirty rooms, bad food and filthy bed linen but it is
unreasonable to neglect basic safety and security.

clappy clappy

Ignore the stuck up people who were expecting 6 Star treatment for 3 star price! The hotel and holiday was excellent we had no problems with anything, The room was big and comfortable. No ants, No cockroaches , No dirt as the room was cleaned efficently everyday without fail! All staff and fun team were still smiling and laughin after a long 12 hour day. The service in the restaurants was superb and food excellent. The pools were cleaned everyday and were always clean. Never a dull moment expect to spend the whole holiday laughing and smilling (if you know how to have fun). Definite value for money cant wait to go back! PS if any1 has stayed here before and bought the Dance CD PLEASE tell us we are gagging to know what the songs are called and re-live our holiday all over! Email rys_da_guy@hotmail.com Thanks!

Clappy clappy

Well if you want to stay at the Caribbean equivilent of Butlins/Pontins book to stay here for your trip. Stayed there for two weeks October 2003. Resort has 3 stars (palm trees) although shouldnt really be an all inclusive resort more like a full board, as if you miss the sittings you miss out, i.e if you miss breakfast its tough, go hungry!
No ice cream or lollies or pop corn for the kids! No fridge in the room, so warm water YUK, bed bugs in the bed constantly getting bitten despite using OFF!! Boring food in the restaurant, no imagination Lunches are better than the dinner, the Chinese is good too and the Grill bar not too bad (had to take kids to Pizza hut quite a few times during stay). Saying that entertainment team NUMERO UN0, Nancy, Melvin, Winston, Angelo, Oscar, Speedy, we love you, CLAPPY CLAPPY in the water! (oh and the hotel dancers are fantastic)! Having said that, bad points, unhelpful staff who hardly smile and if you order a round of drinks they cant cope, Influx of locals at week ends who over take, better off going to the beach at this time as its quiet there. Good basic clean accomodation with a nice beach. Enjoy your stay and dont forget your Hi-de-hi's

Dominican Republic

by dhod

"Villas Doradas"

We stayed at the Villas Doradas complex in Playa Doradas in the Dominican Republic, a medium star complex.
The facilities were very good for the price and it was a great holiday, though you are restricted to staying in your resort unless going on an organised tour.
If you are the sort of person who likes to go exploring the culture for yourself then don't bother!

Dominican Republic was Hot!

by dhod

We stayed at Villas Doradas in Playa Doradas in the Dominican Republic. It was a great holiday but restrictive if you like to explore outside of your resort. You are advised not to leave your resort except on an organised tour- which are really dood anyway.
The holiday was also fully inclusive which can mean an excess of food and drink!

My Island of Dreams - Dominican Heaven

by jlm125

"Villas Dorada - Playa Dorada"

Just returned from the best holiday of my life. I stayed at Villas Doradas in Playa Dorada on the North Coast. I travelled on my own and can honestly say I felt totally safe at all times of day and night. The Hotel was fantastic, great food, clean, room was great and soft sandy beach about 200yds walk.

The trips were excellent value, I went on a sunset horseride, white water river rafting ( a must), outback safari - Angel (guide) made the trip, he was so funny and informative, the catamaran was idyllic too. The fun team in the hotel, chocolate, coffee, and donkey were good fun. Alfonso from Sea Pro Divers on the beach is now a good friend.

Fun singles hotels

by marylou182113

Hi!

I booked a trip to Puerta Plata for the end of Feb. I will be staying at the Riu Bachata. Is this a hotel for young single travelers ? Is it close to the night life of the area? If not what hotel is more geared toward this type of crowd? Also how far from the airport is it? I appreciate all help !!

Thanks in advance!

ML

Re: Fun singles hotels

by marielexoteria

I haven't been there but I don't think it's a singles hotel based on that they have a children's pool.

Based on the map found on http://www.dominicanimpressions.com/maps/1/img7.htm your hotel seems to be about an hour from POP airport. I'd recommend you stay in SosĂșa if you want a lot of fun and nightlife and to be closer to the airport.

Since you want a singles hotel, the only one I know of is Bluebay Villas Doradas (http://www.hotetur.com/hotel.php?rel_hotel=19&rel_section=4&lng=uk) but I'm sure other VT members can help you out on that one.

Comments