Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Caribbean
Orbitz.com Booking.com amextravel.com

Costs 38% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Casa Colonial Beach & Spa

Loved Casa Colonial Beach & Spa

My husband and I have traveled extensively outside the U.S. including many visits to the Caribbean and we have stayed in and visited some of the most luxurious hotels in the world. Without a doubt, this is a fabulous small luxury hotel with a lovely, attentive and friendly staff. All of the public spaces are extremely well appointed with gorgeous orchids everywhere and interesting antiquities. The suite we stayed in was beautiful and comfortable. The food in all of the restaurants was wonderful and the settings of all three restaurants were terrific. The work out facility is more than adequate and the spa is luxurious. This is the perfect place for a romantic getaway with your significant other!

Casa Colonial Resort- A Secret Gem

by TripAdvisor Member maldives40

My wife and just returned from a stay at one of the Penthouse Suites at Casa Colonial. Seeing the claw-foot tub on our balcony facing the ocean exceeded our expectations.

Casa Colonial reminded us of our favorite hotel in Bali.

Not until now have we found a hotel in the Caribbean that stimulated all of our senses. The decor, food, spa, and location were outstanding. Casa Colonial is hip and chic with great service.

We have told everyone about this resort since we have returned home.

Casa Colonial gets a super two thumbs up!

Casa Colonial

by rick82hous about Chic Hotel

This is by far the nicest most luxurious hotel on the North Coast, and most expensive. If you want to buy a real treat, go for it. Everything as far as the small hotel was concerned was first rate. The design and decor exceeded our expectations. A great deal to attention, just go by there and confirm for yourself.
Now the down side, the restaurant which is lovely lacks in service, I mean they forgot to bring my appetizer when they brought my wife’s, had to ask 2 times for a napkin and they overcharged but reluctantly corrected the bill. However, the food was slightly better than good.

Spectacular, romantic, relaxing get away

by TripAdvisor Member pickytraveller99

Anyone who comes here and doesn't rate it highly is either a spoiled brat who wouldn't like anything, or hasn't traveled enough to understand how rare a gem like this really is.

We booked into Casa Colonial for 9 nights, an extended relaxation get away as my wife and I both work a lot. We have very high expectations, and we were not at all disappointed.

First of all, yes, this property is very expensive compared to others available here. However, I think the pricing is fair simply because what you pay here is what you'd pay for an average hotel in a big US city.

The service is absolutely exceptional. The staff are very, very friendly, very professional and always extremely attentive. My wife and I are self-admitted 'high maintenance' guests, and the staff here really impressed us.

This is NOT an all inclusive, and would NOT be good for a group of young friends, or people expecting to party all night and drink a lot. This is not all inclusive, so you pay for everything. It's located inside a bigger resort area called Playa Dorada, into which we did not venture much because nothing was even close to the quality of Casa Colonial.

We rented a vehicle and drove a lot into Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cararete which was a lot of fun. Lots of nightlife and things to do, but it was always amazing to be able to retire to Casa Colonial. It was like walking back into a 5 star hotel after being out in the real world.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to anyone who is looking for a high end experience, and a romantic offering that has its own exclusive beach, amazing pool and great staff. The food was very good.

If you're looking for a relaxing get away, there IS no better place than Casa Colonial. We've decided that this will be our annual secret getaway place.

an unforgettable experience

by TripAdvisor Member tainoprincess

My boyfriend and I just spent four magnificent days at Casa Colonial and I must say that it was an unforgettable experience. The place is absolutely beautiful, great work with the decor. I felt as if I was at the Delano in Miami. The service was great and the people were so welcoming and inviting that it was improsible not to like them. I must say that, I felt as if we were the only people there, given the amount of attention we recieved. The spa was great and the services offer are top quility. The food was great. I can truly say, that this was an experience of a lifetime.

Great spot, can't wait to go back.

Just returned from a 4 day vac. @ Casa Colonial, Puerto Plata.
Magnificent boutique hotel, incredible service and a first class spa, with almost every treatment you could possibly want.
The pool is on the third level with an unbelievable view of beautiful Playa Dorada.
Dinner @ Lucia’s is out of this world, and breakfast at the Varanda is well, just perfect.
The bedrooms and bathrooms are incredibly beautiful, and I only wish we could bring some of the furniture home. Italian linens throughout, with beautiful slip-covered upholstery everywhere.
Beautiful gardens, and lush tropical vegetation throughout. Don’t miss the wall décor by the aisles.
The gym is about as good as it gets for a small boutique hotel. All professional Cybex equipment, and each station has an incredible view of the ocean. Just wanted to keep on going and going.
Overall, the best hotel we have stayed so far, and certainly the best by far in the Caribbean.

Not so great...

This review is LONG overdue!! I'm very surprised to see so many good reviews on here! My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa Colonial for Presidents Day weekend and weren't very impressed at all. We arrived at around 1am from the airport and we're told something had happened with our room. Instead of giving us a similar room (which was available, but people we're coming in the next day), they wanted to move us to a different room with 2 double beds. After arguing with the manager for about an hour, we got a similar room to the one we had originally paid for. The next morning we we're annoyed at the fact that the hotel is in between 2 enormous all-inclusive resorts (seriously right in the middle)!! The pictures they show in the brochures and on the website/web make it look like you you'll be in the middle of nowhere or at least a quiet beach. Of course you also hear the noise coming from the bars at night. Luckily, it's hot and the air-conditioning noise the room drowns out the music and makes the noise a little more bearable. The food at the resort was so boring and bland (hamburgers and caesar salads) and there are no restaurants nearby, so you are forced to eat at the hotel.
Overall, not great. I would not go back and would not recommend to anyone.

Sensational decor, service is trying

by TripAdvisor Member JP73

We actually didn't even stay there. We stumbled upon the place due to a conversation on the putting green at the local golf course. In terms of decor, the Casa Colonial is a surreal almost dreamlike place. The lobby and bar area are grandiose, with high ceilings, stunning windows and chandelliers, posh furniture, and mahogany floors. The grounds behind this tiny exclusive hotel are pristene, with a lush tropical landscape and immaculate groundskeeping.

In terms of service, we were treated extremely well by the staff. They all try very hard. The problem is that I'm guessing they lack true world class service training. As a result a lot gets lost in translation. Regarding the dresscode, the Dominicans seem to have a very strong belief that people should dine in long pants. That's pretty much the only thing that matters to them as long as your not a total slob and have money.

The lady behind the bar is extremely polite, but it's true she can't make a drink. She uses measured liquor, so drinks are the small side, and the prices are what you'd pay at the St Regis in NY. Over $10 easily. Plus they hit you with 26% in taxes and a service charge. It is a cool bar, so if money is no object to you, go for it.

The restaurant Lucia was worth a visit purely for the decor of the place. As I said, the staff tries real hard. They go way over the top on the table service; they were perhaps overtrained in this area, which is not a bad thing. But they don't know anything about food. I don't blame them for it. It is what it is. The wine list is quite decent. We got a very nice Chilean Red by the glass for around $9 that was just ducky. The lobster bisque was nice, albeit too salty. My rack of lamb dinner was quite subpar. My fiancee got the tenderloin fromage and it was decent imported meat. The tiramisu dessert was quite nice. No doubt imported pastry, but the bread before the meal was frozen and not good enough. With two glasses of wine, appetizers, entrees and a split dessert, the bill including tip was 4700 dominican peso and the dollar is trading at 33p/USD, so the math puts it around $140.

Overall, I recommend a visit to this place because it is probably the nicest acreage in all of Puerto Plata. It is a 3rd world country striving for growth in a difficult world economy, so be patient with the servers.

An absolultely beautiful resort!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member DCGyal

Casa Colonial is an unbelievable find! I just returned from what was to be a four day/three night stay with my boyfriend but we ended up staying an extra day because we didn't want to leave! The facilities are phenomenal - The room was spacious and ultra luxurious and as good as anyplace I have ever stayed, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and Delano included. It is the perfect place for a romantic getaway. The spa was beautiful and treatments great. We felt like we had the entire resort to ourselves. There were days when we were literally the only people at the rooftop pool and had all the staff to ourselves. The staff were extremely friendly, but I can understand how some travelers may have difficulty if they don't speak Spanish - not everyone's English is great. The beach is beautiful, although the authorized peddlers do pass by frequently, but are not as bad as they are in places like Cancun and are not too aggressive.

The food choices are somewhat limited but that is one of the consequences of staying at boutique hotels - there aren't 9 restaurants to choose from. The breakfast and lunch restaurants are fine and Lucia, the dinner restaurant is very nice. You can also go to some of the other restaurants in the Playa Dorada complex (Al Fresco (Italian), Road Way (junk food - pizza, beer, wings, etc.). Don't expect tsome of the food to taste exactly like it does in the states and you won't be disappointed. If you want an authentic Dominican experience, ask a taxi driver to take you into the city to a restaurant called Ponderosa. The food is good and they have live lobster ready for the picking. For those who want midnight buffets they should try an all-inclusive resort - this is not the place for you. This place is exclusive - it is for travelers who do not need a lot of activities and enjoy luxury. It is not for people who are not accustomed to spending money for the best, and even though things can get pricey I still consider it a deal for what you get. I would go back to this place again and again. Please ignore the negative reviews on this website - they are flukes, at best. I can't imagine how anyone could not enjoy this place! It doesn't get much better than this, and this is coming from an experienced traveler! Enjoy!!!!

The best small hotel in Puerto Plata. Very romantic!

by TripAdvisor Member sogti

I and my girlfriend stayed at Casa Colonial from June 30th to July 4th. We booked our room through luxurylink--. Everything went smooth. They had all information that I need to check-in. We were welcomed by their welcome cocktails. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and very polite. You don't expect any rudeness from hotel stuff here (I often experience this at 3 stars and 4 stars hotels oh well..).

Our room was deluxe suite ocean front. Sadly we were on the first floor at the very corner where people were walking by a lot (fortunately there weren't many people staying at the hotel). Since our room had a very classy hot tub looking over the ocean, it might have been very annoying if people kept walking by our room. I highly recommend you guys not to stay at room "S4". Other than that, I didn't have any complaints. All the furniture was very classy and nicely designed stuff. Two TVs, two bathrooms, comfy couch, nice bed, comfy linens (although it was kinda dump since the weather was so humid). Bathroom was very very clean, shower booth was huge! We love hotels that have a big clean bathroom/shower room/hot tub. The room where the hot tub was was actual ROOM. Very luxurious way to use the space. Also there were couple of gigantic candles to decorate the hot tub room (we lit those at night). Cleaning ladies come to your room twice a day. Not to mention, AC works like a dream.

The beach is private but don't expect private private beach. People can still walk by you. But there is ALWAYS, i mean always! a guy who's watching people from other hotels and if people tried to enter our area, he'd ask them leave. In fact we were once questioned if we stay at Casa Colonial..lol I saw a guy as late as midnight. Felt pretty safe too. The beach itself isn't the nicest. Punta Cana has much better beach and clear water. But what it's nice is the atmosphere of the hotel, i think. and we liked it very much.

The pool that we spent the most of our time was awesome. Simply awesome. I love whoever designed that pool. 4 jacuzzi facing the ocean on the roof were simply nice (you can probably find many pictures of the pool on this site). The only annoying thing was that you can hear some music from other large all-inclusive hotels right next to the hotel. Once you get inside of your room, you can hardly hear. But when you want to spend some time on the beach at night to listen to sound of the ocean, it can be distracting.

The only problem that we had during out stay was mosquitoes...(what do you expect?). I got bit at least 7-10 times per night. It was very very annoying. That always made me awake early morning (like 3-4 am!). But that wasn't hotel's fault so... So make sure to bring something to avoid mousquitoes.

Let's talk about food and drink ;) We had breakfast every morning at Aqua (at pool) and Veranda (They both have the same or similar menu). Not to mention, all the servers were very nice and friendly. There were some people who can speak English very well and some can't but not a huge deal. At least, breakfast was very good. 5-star class breakfast. Especially the coffee was awesome. My girlfriend bought back bunch of coffee beans :) We had one lunch at Aqua. We ordered turkey sandwich I believe. It was great. We also had a couple drinks at a bar at Lobby. Very trendy bar. They have every kind of liquor which is kinda hard to get in Dominican Republic as far as I heard. And finally we had a dinner at Lucia. I have to say that quality of foods are so so. Especially if you consider the price you have to pay. Very very expensive. We had two appetizer, two entre, and two desert, plus sparking water and half bottle of Moet. I am pretty sure total bill was more than $200 usd (I am not really sure since one dinner at Lucia was included in our package but i am based on the prices on the menu). We paid $60-$70 just for water and half bottle of champaign. I usually don't mind spending money on good foods but this wasn't a case and we were so glad that this meal was included in our package. Well to be more specific, I ordered sushi combination for my appetizer thinking raw fish must be very fresh there. Turned out that sashimi (the raw fish on the rice) was ok but the rice and soy sauce (it wasn't even soy sauce) were awful. Entres were ok but not the greatest. Definitely wasn't worth the price we would have had to pay.

What about outside of the hotel? Playa Dorada is a large resort area that is separated from other area by fences. There are two gates that guards are watching who are coming in Playa Dorada. There are a lot of hotels, restaurants, and some clubs (or they call them discos). Mostly large hotels and Americanized (or westernized) restaurants. We didn't go to any discos so I can't talk about it. First night we got there, we didn't know where to eat for dinner. So we asked the concierge a good seafood restraunt inside of Playa Dorado (yes, we live in Midwest! No seafood here!). We were referred a restraunt near by the hotel. It was actually Italin/Japanese Restaurant. (yes, it was kinda awkward combination). Anyway, the food was actually decent but not something you wanna have at first night where you wanna experience local scene. BUT the price was just ridiculous. We had one appetizer and two pastas with two glasses of wine. The bill was almost 100usd. I mean the food was decent but not worth to pay near 100 bux for what we had. I highly recommend not to eat in Playa Dorado unless you have too. Name of the restaurant is Al Fresco. There was an American Grill right next to Al Fresco and the seem to serve very very Americanized food. (in fact, a lot of people still love to eat those food after traveling couple thousand miles). It wasn't our choice but I guess for some people, it's good.

If you are comfortable driving around, you should definitely rent a car. Playa Dorado won't offer you true Domican Republic feeling. Before you rent a car, just to make sure an automatic car is available for you. In our case, I usually drive a stick shift so I didn't have any problem even thought we weren't told that the car we were getting was a stick shift. Most likely you'll be end up renting a car at AVIS because it's near by. AVOID VolksWagen GOL. Yea, you heard me. Not a GOLF but a GOL. it's old, stick shift (shifter was so sloppy), small, handled like a boat. We chose this because it was the cheapest. But after we drove few miles, we both agreed that we should have paid $10 more and get a Sentra or something. Roads in Puerto Plata/Sousa/Cabarette is very very rough. It's not like it's rough all the way. But there are some spots that are really bad. Huge pot holes...huge rocks...stuff like that. Also Dominican people aren't the greatest drivers. They try to pass cars in front of you even on coming traffic is right there. They just don't care. and some people really tail gate you if you are going slow. But for a speed junky like me, it won't be too much problem. and once you get to used to drive there, it's kinda nice ;) Also, try to stay on the main road. I once got lost in Sousa and it was kinda hard to figure out the way to get back on the main road. very very narrow roads with WIDE ditch on the side of roads.

So if you get a rental car, try to hit major places like Puerto Plata, Sousa, and Cabarette. The first thing we realized when we went to those places was that local people are keep telling you to buy their stuff. It got pretty annoying when people came up and tell us to stop by at their shops few times in 5 min. and that happens everywhere. Probably more so in Sousa than anywhere else. Puerto Plata was full of people who are trying to be a guide for tourists. They try to take you around the city. Initially, they say they don't need any money because they all works for a tour company. But at the end of the guide, they just gave us a gesture that they want money. Even though we told this guy that we don't need any tour but he insisted to do it. and we finally said, fine. and we paid like 2 bux after the tour.

As far as beaches go, Sousa probably has the best clear water. Puerto Plata is more historic place. We liked Cabarette. not too many souvenir shops that will annoy you and there were tons of restraunts. We had a lunch at Lax (ithink). There was a seafood restaurant that we wanted to go but it was closed :( anyway, we had a pizza and some alcohol. Pizza was actually good! and VERY cheap. We paid 20 usd including tip and tax (remember, tax is very expensive there). We also had a dinner at Cariditos (i think?), supposed to be the best italian restaurant in Puerto Plata. The price was decent and the food was also decent. But I kinda doubt that it was the BEST restaurant in Puerto Plata...But we were happy.

Last day, we went to the airport. Our flight was at 3pm. We got there around 1:45pm. It was packed! Long long line at the check-in counter. My girlfriend had an AA Gold Card so we decided to ask if we can wait in first class line. Well, I guess I asked a wrong guy. I thought he was working for the airport but turned out he wasn't. He offered us to let us wait in first class line and he promised that he will get us checked-in in 10 min where everyone else was waiting for more than an hour. Like everyone else, he said he doesn't need any money (we are slow a learner). So we decided to wait in first class line. After that, the guy asked us money knowing we can't go back to economy class line since we already waited 15 min and there were more people behind us already. He first told us $20 each person. I counter offered $10 for two. He agreed. Surprisingly, he left us and he let other guy take care of us which meant that we had to pay him too. Well, we are not that generous, after we checked in (actually we did finish checking in pretty quick), he asked us money so we gave him $2...lol He looked pissed but we already paid $10 so I didn't wanna waste any money. Well it turned out $10 was worth since the airport was stupidly humid and there was no way I was gonna wait there for an hour not knowing you can make it to the boarding time. Money really talks in Dominican Republic :)

Anyway, this is the end of my trip report. I am sorry it went too long but I thought I'd give you guys a detailed information so that you won't have a bad experience. That's what I learned from this website and I thought I'd contribute too.

Have a great trip on whatever you decide to go/stay!

Cat's tongue plantCat's tongue plant

Long beachLong beach