3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Playa Dorada, (formerly Playa Naco Resort), Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, 11111, Caribbean
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 37% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada

playa naco

by leogirl1958 about playa naco

the hotel and the people where so nice, the rooms were clean and spacious, and the food was lovely they have a lovley pool we used a couple of times. we spent most of the time on the beach as the hotel was on the beach, a swim with the dolphins is a must

Playa Naco Golf and Tennis...

by Iam_CDN

Playa Naco Golf and Tennis Resort.
We paid aprox. $ 1100.00 Cdn. for 7 night all inclusive. including air fair direct. Huge pool, games room, 6 tennis lighted tennis courts, 2 golf courses,4 different restaurants, large beach barbeque. Nightly shows, 2 night clubs 24 hour concierge.

Dominican Best Accomodation

by amsterdam_vallon about Playa Naco Beach Resort

An all inclusive *** hotel.

3 A la Carte restaurant: mexican, italian and caribbean

4 beach bars

And a lot of fun!!

nice beach

by TripAdvisor Member Desperado_9

just returned feb14-04 this was our second vacation in the dominican in the past 3 years. we love the climate there and the water is great for swimming and diving. the playa naco was not what we expeccted the room was clean although we had no balcany or patio as some other standard rooms did so i guess it is the luck of the draw to what you get. the food was less than good kinda like the show fear factor. the chicken was raw the fish had a old unpleasant taste and the meat was rubber tough and some still had hair on it. the entertainment was not great but a good effort by the house band. the drinks were good and the employees were friendly.close to shops and shops on site.the out back tours are great and heard no complaints from anyone that took them.the bottom line for the playa naco is you get what you pay for as it is one of the more less expensive resorts . we have stayed down the beach to the Marien Coral by Hilton whicj is more expensive and the food is the best i have ever experienced the entertainment is a vegas stlye show and a all round better place to stay. beware at the playa naco of the time share as they say it is an hour but it takes 2 1/2 and you do not get the hat rum and t shirt as promised as two of our friends experienced while there....we will vacation in the dominican again but not at the playa naco.

Stay away, Don't go here to play.

We (my wife,her family and I) just returned from Playa Naco,DR. The six of us had problems getting towels, shower problems, our beds not being changed, low water pressure.the need for hot water and moldy smelling rooms. The staff in general was not helpful. The resort played games with the exchange rate. I could go on and on but I think this gives you an idea of the conditions at Playa Naco. It is not good at any price.
This is the first time I've ever wanted my vacation to end early. I won't go back even if it were free.

Stay away

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in the DR at a resort near Cabarete. It was wonderful. While waiting at the airport to go home, our flight was cancelled due to a problem with the aircraft. Because of this problem, we were bussed to the Playa Naco resort to spend the night while another airplane was being sent from Vancouver for the next morning. It's easy to see why it was so easy for the travel agent to book so many rooms (215 people) on such short notice. While the entrance and the main building appear to be quite elegant, the room we were in was a dive. Judging by everyone else's comments in the entourage, we got the better of the rooms. I can't remember a single positive comment. I have read some of the other reviews on this site and those who found the place to be wonderful must have been smoking some pretty wicked stuff to not notice the reality of the place.

Amazing!

First time to the Deminican and was more than I expected. I thought the Staff and Locals were incredibly friendly, I had a great time at Playa Naco!!!

Not that great

My husband and I stayed at the Playa Naco January 2-9 2004. We found our trip to be OK, but nothing special. We weren't expecting a great room, and it wasn't. You can tell the place is old. The AC was either on or off (no inbetween) and while we were there the hotel was having water problems (no water at times, no hot water at times, etc). The beach is brown sand and not very wide. The water was nice with just a little wave near the beach. Nothing beautiful like we had hoped. We were disappointed with the food. We've been to similar resorts and had much better food. Breakfast was OK - simply because you could have your own omlete made for you. There wasn't much to pick at from the buffet for dinner though. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant (it's a mini buffet too), but eating there more than once gets to be too much, plus the regular buffet had an "Italian night" with the same food. The afternoon pizza wasn't what you would think it would be, but was edible when you were hungry. The place down by the beach had french fries and burgers. Fries were good, burgers were not. We had ventured to a little seafood joint right outside the hotel expecting a grand meal, but never got it. The food (lobster and shrimp) was good, but nothing special and not even served with a salad for standard US price. We found a Pizza Hut in the shopping center next to the hotels where an order of breadsticks was only $1 and tasted great. However, the point of all-inclusive is that you don't need to spend extra money on food or drinks. We were VERY disappointed with the drinks. The setup was not very good - the main bar had no place to stand or sit, it was tucked in a little spot with just an area for the line. The VIP lounge was nice to sit around with people, but the problem is that after 12:00 pm (10:00 pm central time) you can't get anything else to drink at the hotel, unless you go to the Disco, but you have to buy your drinks there. The timing of food and drinks at all the different areas of the hotel did not seem to be designed for vacationers. Nor did the entertainment. There were nightly "dance shows" but to most people are only entertaining for a little while, and only one night of their stay.
Otherwise there wasn't anything to do after dinner. We had good weather while we were there: warm and mostly sunny - it rained at night and a little bit one day, but hey it's winter and it was snowing back home!
Puerto Plata was OK to visit - once. If we travel to the Dominican Republic again we will try a destination somewhere else on the island.
Overall, we would not have guessed the Playa Naco was a 3 1/2 star resort and would only recommend it to someone who was getting a super cheap price.

Excellent beach, but don't expect 5star

by TripAdvisor Member Bob_Lee

My girlfriend and I spent a week at the Playa Naco Resort and enjoyed our stay very much. The rooms were not the greatest we've seen, but it was sufficient for the price that we were paying! After all, we took a trip to the DR to be in the sun and heat, and not be stuck in the room all day! The food was decent and the service was friendly and hospitable. If we got tired of eating at the buffet, we had a choice of eating at three different a la carte restaurants. We tried two out of the three and enjoyed them very much. At the Mexican place my girlfriend had a chimichanga while I had a chicken fajita. The other restaurant was Caribbean, and we both had sea bass. We both enjoyed it so much that we went the next day. There were activities in the pool such as water polo and darts on the stage by the pool (it was safe, not darts could come remotely close to swimmers in the pool). Each time that my girlfriend and I played a game at the pool, we won a bottle of rum, which was well worth it! Overall this place cannot compare to staying at a Fairmont Hotel, Hilton Hotel or so on. However if you have to watch your budget this place is ideal. We did not pay much and were not expecting much. The thing that made this trip all the more wonderful, was knowing that the temperature back at home was a horrific 40º, while our butts were sitting on a beautiful beach at a very comfortable 30º with Banana Mama drinks in our hands!

AYYAYYAY!!!!

by Chispita

"Playa Naco Golf and Tennis Resort"

This is a very cozy, comfy, and relaxing place to be... I really like it because I felt at home. I also felt very safe because it was in Playa Dorada which is a closed off area, with security guards around 24 hrs and closed gates.

"Siesta a La Playa"

Playa NacoPlaya Naco

Puerto Plata

by yamman

Hi there, I am going stay in DR and wondered which Hotel to use, the Hotel Costa Dorada or Celuisma Playa Dorada. Are they far apart from each other.
I'am a 48 yr old male and like to walk about try local dishes and and visit plenty of little bars, is this safe to do on a night? Coming from GB, wheres best to change your money and what, USD's or local currency. Please advise Yamman.

Re: Puerto Plata

by yamman

Hi there, thanks for the info, will visit debbie web bye for now, yamman.

Tropicana Caribe or Playa Naco Resort and Spa in Puerto Plata, Dom. Repub.

by cindy214sports

How any one stayed in one of these resorts? I am going in the fall and would like to know which is is better. THANKS!

Re: Tropicana Caribe or Playa Naco Resort and Spa in Puerto Plata, Dom. Repub.

by hux6102

My wife and I stayed at the Melia Caribe Tropica late Jan of 2008. We are 78 and 79. so maybe our wants are different from yours, but we were very pleased.It's beautiful,friendly staff, and adequate tasty food. Many choices.
The night life didn't seem to be a rip snorting time, but we were ready for the sack earlier than you probably will be. I think you will be very pleased.

Hotel Serenis Tropical Playa - Ivero Alto

by bidsi

Help please! Can anyone tell me what this is like and do they do a beach/towel service, we are going next year having just come back from cuba. We have been told that this is a beautiful place to go to can anyone confirm?

Comments