Bahia de Maimon, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Caribbean

Costs 36% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about ClubHotel Riu Bachata

Excellent accomodation!

by keith&cris about Riu Bachata, north coast

All Inclusive resort .. this is (in my opinion) the best on the north coast! The suites, the staff, the pool, the restaurants, the fun, the everything is exceptional to the 'nth' degree!
Wonderful! The swim-up bar.. the people, everything about Riu Bachata is exceptional!

Where I fell in love with Mr. Dominicana Republico

by cybercutie about Riu Merengue

This was where I stayed the first time I was in the Dominican...and although I had been to many resorts before and was convinced I loved Mexico more than anywhere else, I didn't expect my new love to come and hit me in the face..always happens when you least expect it, right???

This place was amazing, and it was connected to two other hotels, the Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo. since you had free reign on all hotels, you had three different shows to go to each night, and three different choices of meals...the food was unbelieveable, and during the day they even had barbecues and pig roasts...this definately set the bar on all of my other vacations resort -wise...

Riu Bachata - the best!

By far one of the best resorts in the Puerto Plata area. Food and facility were great. Staff were also the best. Loved every minute we were there. No Complaints.

Bachata Resort Club Hotel

by benakelly about RIU

All inclusive resort hotel, on the beach, 2 swimming pools, secluded, all you can eat buffets, shopping. Snorkling, activities included, sailing. Fishing, golf, para-sailing extra. Great time, alot of Euros so - beach is semi-nude.

Absolutely Fantastic!

I really cannot see how these other few people can slate the Riu Bachata. We returned last week and it was the most fantastic holiday ever. We went to Antigua last year and this was far better than that. I was ill whilst in DR but I know that this was a bad reaction to my anti malaria tablets. We all thought the food was great although we got a bit bored at the end. The rooms were very clean and if you ever needed any extra towels etc you just asked receptiona nd within half an hour you had them and then you got a courtesy call from reception to make sure you fgot them. The hotel staff were among the best that we have ever met as they were so friendly, jolly and thankful for you spending your money to go to their country. Whilst in DR we had an earthquake (6.5) No real damage was done to the hotel but I have to say that it was extremely frightening but the hotel staff were truely fantastic.
The hotel duty manager was there on his own with 4 staff and he made anouncements in 4 languages and was so reassuring that we felt very well looked after.

The only down fall to the holiday was that we travelled with Britannia Airways, they were appaling! We paid £200 each for premium seats and the service was the worst that we have ever received. As for Thomson Holidays well they were a joke in resort. The reps offered no real help to anything and when asked why they did not get to the hotel when we had the earthquake like all the other reps, we were informed that once they go home "You are not our responsibility" What a joke!

Overall a great holiday. We are going to the Riu Tequila, Mexico next year as we had such a good time at the Riu Bachata.

Great resort but racist

I just came back from a 3 night stay at Riu bachata. I consider it to be one of the best resorts in Puerto Plata but there are a few problems with the beach and the poeple. I am of Dominican decent and i was traveling with mostly Dominicans and one person of black decent. As soon as the black guy walked in the they asked him if he had a room as if he didnt belong there after arguing with the guy we went to check in. We all got these wrist bands that the guy told us lets them know we are stayin there and that we can use all the facilities, but as i noticed later during my stay was that only the hispanics had them. The hotel is one of the greatest but i think they should put them on all the people not just hispanics. O yea and i almost forgot the beach is one of the worst if you are going to Puerto Plata stay at a resort which is at Sosua, or Playa Dorada cause the beach of Bahia de Maimon SUCKS!!

Great hotel, but not what you'd expect for a 5star.

by TripAdvisor Member sigosling

My girlfriend (24) and I (21) went to the Riu Bachata for 2 weeks at the start of September and I would not recommend this hotel to any other couples who are hoping for a romantic vacation. The main reason for this is that there were quite a few larger groups around - predominantly families that results in a rather less romantic atmosphere - e.g. noisy kids down by the swimming pool.

However, that is certainly not to say that we did not have a great holiday. The food was always of a very high standard of quality and there was always a large range of foods to choose from. There are 2 a la carte restaurants in the hotel but we were quite happy to eat in the main buffet style restaurant all the time. One problem concerning meals however, was that you are assigned a table to which you must dine at every evening for the duration of your stay. Whilst this posed no initial problems we had to be moved 3 times throughout the whole of our stay due to other people having been assigned to our seats - it would have been much easier if people were allowed to sit where they want as there were enough tables! For the second week of our stay there was a BBQ or something similar, like a hog-roast, each day by the pool or sometimes on the beach and you could be served drinks in pinapples or coconuts; but if you didn't like that you could still eat in the main restaurant but we definitley prefered the pool lunches.

The rooms are of a good size and the free mini bar is a real bonus - even if you only use it to keep your soft drinks cool. The en suite bathrooms are also good, with a bath and strong shower. The cleaners also do a good job in the rooms and occasionally make temporary statues from the towels, in the form of swans or elephants. The surrounding gardens are very well maintained and deserve a walk through early in the morning/sunrise when it is quiet - I'd recommend walking down to the gazebo overlooking the sea on the cove (you can see it on most pictures of the hotel) at this time too as the view is truly inspirational.

I only rate the hotel as average though because it is not what I have come to expect from a 5 star hotel - for example, although there is a large range of food - it did not vary much over the 2 weeks. Also, on arrival we were not shown to our rooms but given a map with the location on it - needless to say we got lost as the resort is very large! I would have been much more impressed if the hotel was a 4star.
Having gained a late deal to the hotel I felt I had got my money's worth but seeing as how in Winter it can cost almost £2000 per person AI, I would have not been happy at all paying something like that.

You do have access to the other 2 Riu hotels along the beach but the Bachata is by far the best. None of the others have a swim up bar as the Bachata does, and this tends to attract people from the other 2 hotels making it a bit busy at times. The weekends are the busiest times as the locals appear to come and spend their weekends there. The pool areas by the other hotels are also much smaller.

As for the beach, it is not white sand and turqoise water but at least it is clean and there are no beach boys trying to sell you stuff as the hotel security does a great job of keeping them out. If you're going into the sea, wear some sandals to protect your feet from rocks and spikey fish!

We enjoyed our stay but we will not be returning to the Riu Bachata but may well go to another Riu hotel somewhere else in the world. If you're planning a family holiday in the sun, where lying by a pool is your aim, then I'd recommend the hotel. However, if you're a couple looking for something romantic - go to a couples-only resort somewhere else.

An Absolute Nightmare

My husband and I just returned from a two week stay at the Bachata. It was a nightmare from day one and didn't get any better. If you are thinking of spending your money by going to this resort, please read this first and give it some thought.Being extremely overworked and exhausted, my husband and I decided to spend our four year wedding anniversary in the DR. I researched on line for weeks before picking the Bachata as I wanted to find something that would be as memorable as Cuba was for us. I read some nice things about this hotel and decided that even though it was pricier than the others, it was probably worth it. I was dead wrong.The first day that we got there, our room was not ready. They told us to look around and come back in an hour. When the hour had passed, we went back to the front counter and they informed us that the room was ready for us. The first shock came when we walked the 10 minutes to our room and then up three flights of stairs (with luggage) to find the smallest, most bare room that you could imagine with a "romantic" view of a brick wall. Our travel agent had booked us for an ocean view, so needless to say, we refused to stay in that room. We waited another hour for them to find the ocean room that we paid for and once we did, it was much better.That night at dinner, I was disappointed to find that the buffet was mostly fried meats and other non-appetizing items. I decided to make the most of the salad bar, which turned out to be a horrible mistake.I was up all night with terrible stomach pains, diarrhea, and vomiting. This continued for NINE straight days. I hardly ever left the hotel room, let alone the resort. The cause of all of my troubles was simple; even though they claim to use purified water, they don't cook with it. By me eating at the salad bar, I ate lettuce that was washed in their dirty water and became violently ill. The following day, I went to the Sunquest representative on site that had the brilliant idea to ask the chef to make a special meal for me of steamed rice and grilled chicken. I ate that for four straight days, never getting any better. In fact, it got worse. The doctor there was useless and told me to drink plenty of apple juice and continue with the steamed rice. On the 6th day there, I couldn't handle the horrible stomach pains and diarrhea anymore, so I called my family doctor in Canada. She was shocked to hear that I was told to drink juice, as the sugar would just continue the stomach problems for even longer. She also advised me to stop eating the rice as it was probably being cooked in dirty water too. I spent the rest of my "vacation in hell" eating dry toast and flat club soda. The doctor suggested Immodium, but by this point, I had taken an entire box of it with no avail. There are no words to explain how much I suffered.I went to the Sunquest rep and told her that I wanted to go home early and to put me on the next flight out. She rudely told me that the flight was full and that I was stuck where I was until my two week stay was over. I called my travel agent and Sunquest but there was no way that they were able to get me back to Canada before my two weeks were over. By the way, if I were able to find a spot on the flight, it would have cost an additional $600 US and Riu would not refund me for the second week. By this point though, I would have gladly paid just to go home and get to a doctor.When I did end up getting home, I was immediately put on anti-biotics and told that I had a bacterial infection from the unpurified water. I was so sick that I lost more time off of work and could hardly eat or drink for days. I lost a total of 13 pounds.I am being honest when I say that I took notice of the standards at the hotel very closely, and saw that when they rinsed out the pitchers after making pina coladas or other drinks, they used tap water. They used tap water at the bars to clean out glasses too. The bottles of water put in the hotel rooms were never sealed. They claim to refill them with purified water, but if you leave the water out of the fridge for a few hours, it begins to smell foul. Why they couldnt provide us with sealed bottles is beyond me. Clearly, they are just using bottles and refilling them with who knows what?I am not the only person that was ill during my stay. There were other people on their honeymoon who also came down with the same thing. There is no reason this should have happened in a 5 star resort.Besides the horrible food and dirty water, the hotel has other issues too. The pool is FILTHY. We were there for two weeks and never once saw it being cleaned. There is a ring of black grime around the once-white walls of the pool and debris floating in it. Also, it is too crowded. You have to be out by 7am to get a lounge chair, otherwise you have no place to put your towels etc. The other problem is that people tend to let their children run wild so there is no quiet place in the pool area to just relax. There is so much yelling and running around that you can't hear yourself think! Also, both pools are used for volleyball and other water sports, so you have to be careful not to get hit in the head with a flying ball like several guests did.The beach isn't white sands and blue water. You spend most of your time in the water picking away leaves and debris off of your bathing suit that you hardly have time to enjoy it.On weekends, they allow the locals to come into the resort. This makes it unbearably crowded and you have to stand in line ups for everything from the bars to the dinner buffet. The resort is large, but it can't accommodate the amount of people that they let in. Tourists that pay to be there end up being pushed out of the pool area and dining rooms by these large groups that invade the resort from Fridays to Mondays.On our tenth day there, I was finally able to leave the resort for a tour of Sosua Beach and Puerto Plata. The Puerto Plata part was interesting as they take you to the rum factory and around town, but Sosua Beach was frightening. The vendors at the market chase you down and try to force you to buy their goods. If you say no, they follow you yelling out prices and trying to get you to come back. It is very hard to get away from them unless your tour guide is there to chase them away. Not my idea of a good time. Also, it's not wise to go on a tour if you think you might need a washroom any time soon. My stomach was still rocky but it got even worse when I saw what their hygiene standards are for public restrooms. I don't want to go into details, but let's just say there is not enough Lysol in the world to help that.One last thing... I hope that if you go to this resort, you don't mind rats. They are EVERYWHERE in the evenings. I can honestly say that I saw at least a dozen in my first week there. It's disgusting.My final thought: NEVER AGAIN. I am sorry that I wasted my money.

Fantasy Vacation / Trip of a Lifetime

This was the trip of a lifetime. My boyfriend and I went for four days, three nights. We didn't know what to expect, but found heaven on earth.
The plane ride was short, the bus ride to the resort took about thirty minutes. The resort is very clean, beautiful and wonderful. The workers there are friendly and helpful. Check-in was a breeze. Our room was very nice and it had a stocked refrigerator with water, soda's and there was an array of liquor available. We had four restaurants to choose from each day. The main restaurant was the best though, especially the breakfasts (Maimon). The beach was sandy white, the water a beautiful blue...always a nice breeze and plenty of chairs. The pool area as a bit crowded, but chairs were available. Everything was all inclusive, no worries about carrying money around with you. The entertainment each night was nice, it could have been a little bit better. The "club dance" each night was boring after you see if once.
Games on the beach every day, exercise classes at the pool were available...lots of things to do daily if you choose to. We did not want to come home. I'd love to go again right now.

Dominican Republic, True Paradise!

by keith&cris

Riu Bachata, is a fabulous all-inclusive resort on the north coast of the island, just 7 km west of Puerto Plata. We had a great time! First two weeks in December, and it rained twice - only at night! The weather was perfect, 85 degrees, blue sky and the water was so warm! This pagoda is on a point of land at the far west end of the beach.

The Bachata pool bar was one of my favourite places! "Uno pina colada y dos cervesa, por favor."

Raphael was the nicest man! Friendly, kind and genuine. I can't wait to see him again! He's offered to take us to his home to meet his family next time we go to DR.

Pagoda at Riu Bachata.Pagoda at Riu Bachata.

Riu Bachata pool bar.Riu Bachata pool bar.

Riu MerengueRiu Merengue

Riu MerengueRiu Merengue

Gran Ventana or Riu Bachata

by janeymates

Considering booking either of the two above resorts for next years vacation, would appreciate any comments/feedback from anyone who has stayed at either

many thanks! :-)

Re: Gran Ventana or Riu Bachata

by amcclean

I don't know the resorts, but I've stayed at Paradise Beach hotel in Playa Dorada on the north coast and that was very nice.

I have heard that the north coast in Dom Rep is supposed to be nicer than the south coast, as the south coast has man made beaches.

I have stayed at a Riu hotel twice in Cuba and in my experience Riu is a very nice hotel chain.

Re: Gran Ventana or Riu Bachata

by sackie

We have stayed at Gran Ventana and RIU Merengue. If I had to choose between the two I'd go with the RIU. It's three resorts in one. However it's more remote then Ventana, which is right in the Playa Dorado Resort area with a shopping centre, golf course etc.

Puerto Plata laundry service?

by rozzle

Anyone know if there is a laundry service in or near Puerto Plata (Dom. Rep.)? We are going to Riu Bachata in Maimon Bay for two weeks in November and would like to take just one suitcase and do washing when we are there the second week. Thanks!

Re: Puerto Plata laundry service?

by mr_bubba

The hotels all have cleaning services.

Sickness at Riu resorts?

by Miech

Hello, I booked in Oct for a Jan 14 trip to Riu Bachata in Puerto Plata. The reviews at that time were all excellent. Recently all of the reviews are horrible as scores of people have gotten sick, presumably from the food.

Can anyone expand on this? I am 16w pregnant and really concerned they have not yet addressed this.

Thank you!

by Adidi

strange... Riu Bachata is really good.
Avoid eating street food and be really picky with the fish, its the only advice i can give.

Take Care,
*Adriana, La Misma*

by toemayn

Don't drink the water. Was there feb. 03 wife got sick i didn't. Stayed at the bamboo

by hayward68

Yikes, just realized the date on this posting, so too late for the original poster, hopefully they have no problems.
RIU Bachata is having problems with a horrible sickness at this resort. We're covering it on our news program. Tour groups are pulling out and if anyone has questions about upcoming trips I would check with their rep. Sunquest is temporarily putting a hold on selling packages to this resort.

Comments