Fun Royale Beach Resort

Costs 42% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Fun Royale Beach Resort

Really fun at the Fun Royale

by TripAdvisor Member NovaScotiaBridetoBe

My 4 friends and I have just returned from this great resort. None of us had ever been there and we were pretty concerned about what it would be like. The resort and grounds were beautiful. The staff were incredibly nice. Our room was always clean, and I once saw a staff member scrubbing the pool walls by hand. I am an extremely fussy eater and although basic, I thought the food was good. I wasn't sick at all although one of my friends was for half a day. We travelled with Go Travel Direct and I definitely recommend using them to book a trip to a resort such as this one. There is a representative who is present for over 8 hours every day and on the first morning when our tub clogged, we told her and within 5 minutes, someone was there to fix the problem.
As a first time all-inclusive traveller, I have to say that the Fun Royale was well worth it. My only tip would be to request a room on the Fun Royale property rather than Fun Tropicale because I heard that the rooms are in better condition. As mentioned by a couple of other people, you can hear the activities from your room but I didn't have a problem with it since the noise ended at 10:30 and didn't start until 7 again(we weren't there to sleep the days away anyhow).

Fun Royale/Fun Tropical

by BABYA about Fun Royale/Fun Tropical

if you book thought the hotel it work,s out about £40 per person per night all inclusive.
if you book with holiday company it work,s out to about 6-7 hundred for two week,s all inclusive,first choice are the company i traveled with.
you can get some cheap apartment,s to rent they range from £100 a week but you have to buy food etc. The hotel is a 4* hotel that offer,s a all day activity program.
There are a number of thing,s that you can do from just lying beside the pool to joining in with the many activity,s.
the activity,s are archery,pool volleyball, boccia[like bowl,s] , water aerobic,s ,cocktail lesson,s ,dart,s ,shuffleboard and many more.
there are three pool,s the activity pool which is the main pool, the banana bar which is more quite and there,s a kiddie,s pool.
there,s a kids mini-club as well.
in the evening,s there,s a mini disco for the children then there are live show,s every night.
there is an on site nightclub with opening,s monday to saturday from 11pm till 2am[no kid,s allow thought].
sunday the disco is closed but the activity guy,s do run a bus that take,s you to the local nightclub,s adorada or crazymoon.
they also do night,s to hemingway,s which is a karioke bar so those of you who like to sing you must go there.
they do night out to the local casino as well.
they dont provide transport back to the hotel thought,it,s about 10-15 minute,s walk or you can alway,s get a cab outside.
the hotel is surounded by the robert trent golf course.

Good Value and lively

It was more than I expected. What stands out is the friendlyness of the staff, very outgoing. The Fun Royale is more of Hotel type of rooms where the Fun Tropicale is more Motel type. We stayed at the Fun Royale. Make sure you ask for a balcony or terrace because some rooms have neither. Food is good and of good variety. Fun Royale/Tropicale is all about fun and great animation team. The only thing that I would like them to change are the drinking containers (glass) or change the way they clean them. A dishwasher would be more appropriate than hand washing in at tap temperature. Best would be to use disposable glasses.
The resort is not on the beach but this is not a problem since they have their own restaurant and bar on the beach. I did a fair amount of sailboarding included in the activities. I would and may go back one day.

Animation staff are the attraction

My 15 year old daughter and I stayed at the Fun Royale in March of 2004. We had FUN.

The rooms could use a makeover but we did not go to the Dominincan Republic to spend time in a room. We had an all inclusive package rate and the package was excellent value. We did not bother with the specialty restaurants because we liked the buffet. I had two complaints. The first was that the other guests would reserve a lounge chair early in the morning with a beach towel then not use the lounger for most of the day. The hotel should do a "towel roundup". Unoccupied but reserved chairs are not fair to the people who actually want to use the chair. The second complaint was the music played at the adult pool.
I am an adult but not too fond of "elevator music". The activities pool area was fun...great Merengue music and always something happening.

The Animation Team were great. They put heart and soul into their jobs and are great entertainers. I went on two escorted disco nights to local clubs where Merengue, Bachata and Salsa music was played. The disco in the Fun Royale is geared to non-dancing gringos who like rap/rock music. The hotel was a 3 1/2 star and that was fine with us.
Bring lots of US dollars for excursions and keep $20 US cash only per person for the departure tax at the airport. Get out and mix with the Dominicans; they are wonderful people. I will go to the Fun Royale again and go to more Dominican dance clubs.

Absolutely amazing and a great place to meet new friends

I just got back from my spring break in the Dominican at Fun Royale/Fun Tropical. It was absolutely amazing. I had the time of my life. Me and one other friend went down and ended up spending the week with atleast 20 other people we met down there. We ended up coming away with great new friends. The workers at the resort were so friendly and outgoing.
There were constantly people cleaning and making sure we had everything we needed. While there were many family's at the resort, there were also lots of younger people like myself in their 20's making it a great place to go for any university student's spring break. The food was good and the drinks were even better. All in all it was a wonderful trip and already I, along with people I met down there, are planning on heading back next year for Spring Break. I highly recommend this resort for anyone looking to have fun and relax.

A wonderful resort just to get away from the cold

There were four of us that visited the Fun Royale resort the weeek of January 20th 2004. We had a wonderful time. The staff at the resort were extremely friendly and always will to lend a hand or provide info.
The two a la carte resteraunts were excellent. The buffet always had a variety of food even something to satisfy the picky eaters. The beach water was not the greatest but you can walk for miles in either direction and just enjoy the sand between you toes and the fact that you are not wearing winter clothes. We went on two tour the Catermeran and the Jungle safari, both were unbelieveable. The food and drinks were excellent, the guides on both tours were extremely knowledgeable, and the weather unbelieveable. The jungle safari up to the seven waterfalls is not for the faint of heart but gives you the chance to see this natural wonder up close and personal. I really reconmend getting the video of the days trip it gives you the evidense that you actually did it. The catermeran day was great with highlight being Juleo. He makes the day unforgetable. We highly recommend that you book your tours with Mar Y Sol in the complex they are $20-$50 cheaper than the tours from the hotel. The boys from our group also went golfing at the course in the complex. It is quite cheap to do just nine holes in the afternoon. They enjoyed it so much they went four times. Overall the trip was wonderful and the cost was what made up for all the little mishaps. Even though we had no children with us it seemed that it would be an excellent place for them with the special play area and pool.

had a thoroughly enjoyable time

We stayed at the Fun Royale resort over New Years and overall we had a thoroughly enjoyable time despite the occasional odd bit. We arrived in the morning and were a bit surprised to hear that check in time was 3 p.m. and our luggage was to sit in the front drive until then. Our advice would be to put your bathing gear/warm weather clothes in an accessible spot so you can change in the washroom. The resort as a whole was gorgeous and we really appreciated the adult pool but, if you want a lounger, you should be there early. The rooms were basic but clean, the staff friendly and helpful. The food was fabulous! Even a fussy vegetarian like me could eat there. Make sure you get to the Italian restaurant at least once. There were loads of free things to do at the resort plus bring US dollars for the great excursions. For shopping you'll want pesos and there's an exchange right at the resort. Just don't change too much at once because there's no changing back if you don't use it all. The only real disappointment was the beach. We were prepared that the beach was a tractor shuttle ride away. What we weren't prepared for was how crowded and narrow the beach was and how the water was positively nasty. The bottom was painfully rocky & full of seaweed. There was a lot of garbage (bleach bottles, diapers) in the water. Not appetizing. A half hour walk out of the bay we found glorious, clean and sandy beaches but we had no access to loungers, drinks, snacks or watersports. Still, we were Canadians on a tropical beach in the winter and we were pretty pleased. Despite the beach, we left feeling as though we had gotten our moneys worth.

A terrible Vacation

This is a detailed report of the nightmare vacation we had at Fun Royale/Tropicale Resort. Our vacation was from March 7 - 21st 2004. We booked ROH, having been told that we would receive a standard room with no choice of location. From March 7-13 we got two nights sleep. The room we received vibrated from 10:30 A.M. until 11:00 P.M. from all the activities and noise coming from the pool area. After that the noise continued from all the drunks coming and going in the hotel. From 3:00 A.M. until 6:A.M. we were able to sleep until the hotel staff started to come to work in their noisy motor-bikes and buses. The staff members communicated with each other by hollering. That left us with three hours sleep each night.By the 7th night we had had enough and stormed to the front desk. We had already observed many disgruntled guests changing rooms by this time for various reasons. We received a new room in the Fun Royale area which at first glance seemed all right. We turned on the A/C to get rid of the stale tobacco smoke and cool the room down. The A/C clunked and banged so much that we had another sleepless night. The maintenance man came by, and by means of letting him listen to the A/C, he knew immediately what was wrong and had a new A/C put in. This is 7 days into our vacation and we are still trouble-shooting and not enjoying our vacation in the least.March 15- We both took deathly ill. So ill in fact that we thought we would have to end our vacation. Bob took ill first with severe diarrhea, chills and lethargy. Shortly thereafter I took ill with severe vomiting, chills and so weak I could hardly walk. We contacted the doctor at the resort and told that we were suffering from nothing more than sensitive stomachs and that we probably drank too much alcohol. We drink very little and her diagnosis was completely incorrect and for this she required $50.00 U.S. in order to treat us. They didn't charge this fee when we very loudly in the lobby told them that our illness was caused by their unclean facility.We spent the next four days mostly in our hotel room eating dry bread, pasta and drinking water and club soda. As we started to eat in the restaurant again we started to be more observant. Twice we sat down to dirty cutlery and once my husband pulled a dirty glass from the juice bar. Upon showing this to a restaurant manager, he appeared not to show any interest and ignored the situation. Upon our arrival at the hotel we saw that the workers in the buffet wore surgical masks and disposable gloves, thus gaining our confidence that we could eat and drink without worry. We were wrong. As the vacation progressed we learned from others that at least one person in each party had been ill. Most people attributed it to over indulgence in alcohol and the hotel fed on this and refused to accept responsibility.From the beginning of our vacations our hotel towels were taken at 8:00 A.M. and clean towels were not returned until between 3:00 P.M.-5:00P.M. We were told by our Signature Rep. that that was why we had beach towels. After a day at the beach we should not have had to search out clean towels. Going without hotel towels for a 7-9 hour period during the day is unacceptable at a 4 star resort. We could not leave our beach towels on a lounge chair and return to our room to shower and wash up during the day. Because of our towels disappearing when we left the room for breakfast and the maid's lack of sanitation of the room, we put up our Do Not Disturb sign and left it up for the last 3 days. During this time I cleaned the floor and bathroom and made our bed. We started to call this our "do it yourself vacation". After doing her work for her, our maid knocked on our door in spite of the Do Not Disturb sign, and reminded us of her five bambinos and that she wouldn't see us tomorrow (obviously looking for pesos.)ROH should not mean a substandard room in a noisy part of the building with no towels. Signature, after traveling with you for more years than I care to say, I am completely disappointed with the rating you have given this hotel. Fun Royale, you have displayed that you don't care about your guests or how visitors view your country. Luckily we were able to escape your complex by taxi and discovered that you have a beautiful country and beautiful people but this is not displayed at your hotel. Sky service- Your Dominican ticket agents had people lined up and in tears, as they bartered with passengers about overweight luggage. It appeared that if passengers had cash, the cost of the overweight luggage was more than if a credit card was used. The scales seemed to bounce within a range of a few pounds and if a credit card was produced the ticket agents were heard saying they would give the person a deal. We thought the bartering had ended at the beach. This caused very long line ups at a time when many people were ill and just wanted to get out. As lengthy as this report may seem, this is only fraction of what we endured. We came home more stressed than when we left. This was a much needed vacation for us and it was ruined. We feel robbed of our hard earned money.

LOved every second of our Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member plumber2

My husband and I stayed at the Fun Royale the week of Jan.31 to Feb.7.We were there to celebrate my birthday and our 30 year anniversary.We had an absolute great time.We asked for a third floor room with balcony and wanted 2 queen size beds and got just what we requested.Our room was large and clean,with a huge closet.Our Tv did not work well one night(we didnt watch it much though)but the one night we were extra tired and wanted to see a movie.We called the front desk someone came up with in 5 minutes,tried to adjust it without luck, and left with that tv,and came back within 10 minutes with a wotking tv.Problem solved.We were a bit leary about the food the first day but everyone seemed to be eating anything they wanted so we said to heck with it we are not going to worry our whole trip about getting sick(although we took lots of medicines in case we did),.We ate just as we would at home just dont over eat,thats hard to do because everything we ate was excellent.Try the brazillian rest.,what a great meal that was.The buffet was always great,and the beach rest.was A1.We spent all day at the beautiful beach.Resting and swimming in the ocean and walking the beach.We walked usually for an hour and a half one way and still never got to the end of the beach(remember you have to walk back also and it does get hot so take a bottle of water and maybe a little cover up ladies to throw over your shoulders to keep from burning.We used lots and lots of sunscreen and only burned a bit .Be sure to reapply lots during day and sit in shade also some,we tookBenadryl for the itch we had from the burn that helped alot,also use lots of skin lotion after your shower when you get back from the beach,that helps also.We loved the beach,there is some coral but just go in slowly,we went to different parts of the beach,and enjoyed jumping the waves,but be careful because the waves can knock you down and they can be very strong,so stay close to your companion so they can help you back up.I was knocked off my feet once and went under ,and my husband was too,a bit scary.All in all we just loved itMost of our pictures are of the water and beach.We found the water and beach very clean,and you have lots of room to lounge either with other people or by yourselves.We took bug spray but never used it,my husband and I had one bite each and thats it,although we saw people covered with them,mainly their legs and arms.We think we were okay because we never wore perfumes,maybe to attract them and we think because we sat in the sun and shade plus went in the water a lot helped us thats just our opinion. We met some really nice people on our trip,Allen and Sandra from England,we enjoyed our vivits with you,the group of three couples from Hamilton area,thanks for the beer,and even a couple who live five minute from us in our hometown,and we end up meeting in the Dom.Rep.,also lots of nice folks from Ottawa,we enjoyed meeting them all.The only comment on whole would be the few people we saw that had no manners .The resort workers work very hard so we can enjoy ourselves,so a simple thankyou or please, is very easy to say,to them.We loved our very romantic and relaxing holiday and cant wait to go back next year!!!!!

Dominican Republic

by Peachy32

"Fun Royale/Tropicale"

We found this to be a great 3 star resort. The staff was excellent (except for one of the managers). There was a good choice of food nicely presented. Having the choice of quiet or noisey pool areas is nice too. The nightly entertainment was repetative, but the staff gets a definite "A" for their attempt to get everyone involved and keep things fun. Many of the staff spoke 5 languages fluently! The grounds are well kept and the maintenance staff (although not as fluent in English as the entertainment staff) were always pleasant and friendly.

"Carnival"

Luckily for us, it was Carnival in Puerto Plata during our visit. It was a wonderful day (accompanied by staff from the hotel). We found a great restaurant from which to watch the parade.

The costumes were beautiful and the atmosphere was full of fun and excitement.

"Beautiful Tours"

There are so many things to do and see in the Dominican Republic. On of my favourite excursions was the cable car to the Isabel de Torres Botanical Gardens. Beautiful!

A trip around the city of Puerto Plata is a must. Make sure you see the Victorian architecture in Central Park. Around 150 late 19th century and early 20th century preserved edifices housing homes and public buildings with gingerbread motifs, wooden lace filigree and pastel colors. The best collection is right around Central Park

mates

by BABYA

has anyone been to fun royale/tropicale in playa dorada complex resently and do you have any pics of staff and of the hotel ??????????????//
if so can you send me some ive been 4 times last time was 3 years ago i was just wondering if its changed and if any of my mates are still working there
( ruddy,felix,davey etc)