Occidental Gran Hotel Playa Dorada

Playa Dorada Complex, P.O. Box 609, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, Caribbean
Orbitz.com Despegar.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Occidental Gran Hotel Playa Dorada

The Dominican Republic has...

by Motzl

The Dominican Republic has seven international airports. They are the Las Américas International Airport, 20 minutes east of Santo Domingo; Puerto Plata International Gregorio Luperón Airport, 15 minutes from Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata and Sosúa, handles the north coast's scheduled and charter flights. Punta Cana's international airport serves the far east. La Romana International receives a daily AA jet from Miami. Barahona's María Montez International Airport, which opened this year, is the country's newest. Air Santo Domingo is a domestic airline, affiliated to Air Europa, with 54 daily flights to seven major airports in the country. The smaller international airports in Santiago and Herrera in Santo Domingo handle light aircraft, small jets and commuter planes. The Samaná-Arroyo Barril airport is under construction.
The country has an excellent bus system providing scheduled transport between Santo Domingo and major cities. Those privately-operated companies include Metro Tours and Caribe Tours.

Dominican Heaven - will return very soon

by jlm125

Villas Dorada hotel - Playa Dorada - what can I say, everything about the hotel was fantastic, rooms cleaned daily, beach gorgeous and only a short walk from hotel, pool very clean with pool bar, restaurant had good choice of menu with theme nights, chinese restaurant, sea food restaurant and grill. Staff couldn't be more helpful and friendly. I made some good friends while on holiday, both english and dominican. I will miss most being on the beach at 8.30am every morning apart from when on trips, the sea was like going into a bath.

Puerto Plata's partying scene

by chodu

Hi, me and 5 of my buddies (guys, early 20's) thinking of coming down first week in Jan. just wondering if anyone knows where the focus of the partying scene is in the area there. Is it Sousa, Cabarete, Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata or what? I know the partying scene is not nearly as great as it is in Cancun, but I wanna try something different, as long as its not non-existent. Also heard that the local ladies will show us a good time too. Do you think Puerto Plata would satisfy our partying needs, or would you still recommend Cancun?

Re: Puerto Plata's partying scene

by acohiba

I'm sure the Dominican is a lot cheaper than Cancun. I was in Cabarete last summer and there is a party there every night. The only downside is that most of the people there are European and I found that most of them didn't speak English or Spanish. But the party scene is nice. You will find about 3 or 4 clubs a night that are packed and the drinks don't stop until everyone goes home. I've never partied on the beach like that. I found Santo Domingo to be a better party place because the natives there know how to get down (no offense to the Europeans). As well there is Santiago, which I hear tops them all. Never been partying there myself but I have a cousin that goes every year and she's been to all the other places and said by far that Santiago was the best. The only other reason I would suggest the Dominican over Cancun is because when you get there you know that you have actually left the United States. That feeling alone and the friendliness of the Dominican's will make you not want to come back. And yes... the hunnies are banging!!!

March 2003

by gwarner

Could someone provide some nice hotel,activities and sights in this area.

by Chryselle

Go to Santo Domingo if you can. Visit the old city with it's cathedral (the oldest in the New World), Pantheon, Diego Columbus' house, old cobbled streets, etc. Also, visit the Columbus lighthouse which holds the supposed remains of the explorer (don't forget to see the museum).

Eat a lot of seafood, go ocean kayaking (make sure it's in whitecaps), learn to windsurf if you don't already know, bachata and merengue with the locals and above all, enjoy the beach :)

by gwarner

Thanks alot for the info. I plan to do all those things

by acohiba

there's alot to do in the puerto plata area. They have windsurfing, clubs, bars, and tour guides that will take you through the mountains. The place on the north coast with the most action would have to be cabarete, about 15 miles from pop airport. A real nice beach that many tourists do not know about is called playa caleton. About 20-30 minutes from cabarete. here the food is cheap, beach is beautiful, and they have a boat that will take you out into the ocean to see different things for only 150 pesos (about $10). Trips to santo Domingo from here are only about 80 pesos. Well hope you have fun and enjoy.

by Ann26

Hi
Last month, I went to Puerto Plata at Allegro Occidental Playa Dorada in Playa Dorada. Very good place. the room are clean and food are good. And people are EXCELLENT! There are many activities at the hotel and around. Puerto Plata is about 10 minutes by gwagwa and Sosua 20 minutes. In Complex of Playa Dorada, there are some discotheque and Crazy Moon are the best (for me and my friends...) At the hotel, you can make horse back riding, scuba diving , playing volleyball and many other thing. And also drink a lot of rhum!!!
So, have a good trip!
*excuse my bad english... I don't speak in english... I try!

Re: Re: March 2003

by gwarner

thanks for the reply. I just got back from Sosua Domincan Republic. It was very nice. People were like beautiful days, real warm. I hope I can go again soon.

puerto plata area

by acohiba

I was going to be going to the island in August and was looking at either Bahia Principe or La Cana Vacation Club and wanted to see if anyone had stayed at either and how they would describe how their stay was at either one. Thanks.

Re: puerto plata area

by Ann26

Hi
I'm not gone to this place (Bahia Principe or La Cana Vacation Club) when I went to Puerto Plata. But I went to Allegro Occidental PLaya Dorada in Playa Dorada. And I can talk you is the best place I ever go... I maid many activities and the peoples are excellents.
Why do you going in the south in August??? and how long time? I have somes pictures of my trip at Playa Dorada. If you want to see, just write me. It is your firt time in Puerto Plata? Me, I really want to come back over there... soon!
Take care!
* excuse my bad english because I DONT SPEAK in english.. I try!

Re: puerto plata area

by mishadawn

We stayed at the Bahia Principe outside of Puerta Plata and absolutely loved it! Great hotel, tasty all-inclusive food available all hours, water aroebics in the pool, beautiful beaches with lots of water equipment (wind surfing, kayaking, snorkling, sailing, etc.), entertainment in the evenings wasn't that great.... but still fine. The people were reasonably friendly.

Enjoy your stay!

by acohiba

About how far was Bahia from Cabarete and was it pretty easy to get around from Bahia? Were there alot of taxis and people to take you around?

by mishadawn

I never went there, so I'm not sure. If I recally correctly it wasn't that far. As for transportation, I rarely saw a taxi and know that some people rented bicyles and toured surrounding towns. I believe there was a bus one could take. Sorry I don't have more detailed info. Hope that helps!

by acohiba

If it's in Gaspar Hernandez I don't think it's that far, only about 15 min. I don't know I'll check it out though. Thanks for the info : ). I didn't know if anyone would ever get back to me. Thanks!!!

Comments