Puerto Plata Village Resort and Spa

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Puerto Plata Village Resort and Spa

puerto plata village resort

We took a family vaction to this resort and for the price we paid I would say it is pretty good value for your dollar spent.The beach was excellent for water sports and our young children who are ages 4&6.Be prepare for some occasional drawbacks though like standing in line at 7:30ish in the morning to make dinner reservations at the three onsite dining facilities or settle for the dayly buffet.Staff was very curtious and helpful but the rooms are not spectacular,decore very outdated,but being a impoverish nation it was to be exspected.One word of extremely important advise that I could give you is to plan all site seeing and exscurtion trips on saturday or sunday as the locals invade this resort their weekend off .The reason I say this is that it seemed like all the little domincan kids running around were spoiled little brats,things like splashing water every where to grabbing and taking over my childrens pool toys which we brought along,amoung other things,I know all this sounds alittle petty but the parenting skills in that country are very much lacking....if you stay in the resort on those days you"ll find out what I mean.All in all I would recomend this resort though,it is very pretty and has the best stretch of sand on the beach.

We stayed at the all-inclusive...

by myriam_c

We stayed at the all-inclusive hotel Puerto Plata Village. At the time (1992) it was a fairly new hotel, I don't know what it's like now!

Loved Puerto Plata Village in Playa Dorado area

I have read alot of reviews about Puerto Plata Village -PPV and alot were mixed. As far as I am concerned a holiday is all what you make it. If you want the luxurys of home, stay home. If you are open to meeting people and relaxing or having fun , you can at this resort. It is good for familys or singles, partyers or not. All depends on what your idea of a holiday is. We arrived at POP airport at 830pm so we couldnt see much of the island while on board the super size bus that shuttled us to PPV. Should add at this point that PPV is the only resort at Playa Dorado with 24 hr bar service. Pretty sad when the bus has more leg room than Sky Service airplanes. If you let any dominican assist you with anything, be courteous enough to give a small denomination for their time. It is appreciated. They love Canadians and we found a small canadian trinket was accepted as much as us dollars or pesos. They cannot exchange cdn change so dont bother insulting them or the rest of Canada by offering. They love us, lets keep it that way. The resort was quick and speedy at checking us in and super friendly staff. We became acquainted with quite a few and they love their jobs and dont expect you to tip all the time as long as you are friendly and t treat them with respect. We had a super holiday, excellent food, excellent drinks and super friendly resort guests to associate with. This is a 4 star, but expect some dominican food. After all you are in their country. The buffet was enormous enough that if you didnt like one thing, you could try 50 other things. There was always something to fill your plate and if you are a fussy eater, have bread and water and be thankful you could afford a trip to paradise where the sun is always shining and people are friendly. The Tex Mex restaurant was just fabulous, the International rest had excellent filet mignon and chicken. The Italian was good as well and we would recommend you attend all three but book early so as not to miss out. Beach area was awesome and totally safe to be there by yourself. Maurice took his metal detector and walked (5 min) every morning at 6am to detect without alot of people in his way. Only found enough to buy a pack of dominican smokes, but thats better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Shuttle ran steady and never a wait even though the resort was at 100% capacity when we were there. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We had a master suite that was equipped with living room, kitchen area, fridge, walk in closet and large patio. No hills to climb and all the rooms were fairly close to the main buffet and bars. Melissa the service manager (a native from Montreal) is more than helpful in assisting with anything you need or directing you to someone if she cant help. Excellent market at the beach area to buy local souvenirs and trinkets. A mall within walking distance in Playa Dorado Complex with all kinds of stores however we found them a bit pricey. We spent a day in Sosua, (10us) by van and shopping was alot better priced and cheap for drinks and lunch. Considering a trip there next. We spent 2 glorious weeks there and hats off to the gang we met also know as the TRIBE = Barb & James from Simcoe, Ont ** Dale, Brenda, Linda from Yarrow , BC**3 Amigos-Aubrey, Jordan & Brodie from Rustico, PEI**Heather from Calgary, AB**Amamda from Fort MacMurray, AB**Stephanie & Mr. CLever Eric from Victoria,BC*** Had a blast and hope to hook up again for another trip in the future, maybe even a re-union in Dominican Republic. Special thanks to James for bringing your guitar. You are a delight to listen too even though we didnt know all the words. Stephanie, good luck on your singing career, I still get goose bumps thinking of you singing. To the PEI boys - YOU ROCK. GRACIAS to all of you for contributing to one of our best vacations ever. MUCHO GRACIAS, Rose & Maurice If anyone has questions or wants to see pictures of the area, feel free to email as I would be glad to help out.

PUERTO PLATA VILLAGE.

by Ronald_T

PUERTO PLATA VILLAGE. This nice all-inclusive resort is build as a Victorian village existing from different pastel colour houses. The beach of Playa Dorada with is golden yellow sand and clearness blue water lay about 450 metres from the resort, and 5 kilometres to Puerto Plata. Small bus to the beach and to the centre of Puerto Plata.

Amazingly Fun

I don`t know what the person above did during hisĀ“/her vacation except looking at the curtains but when we went to Puerto Plata Village hotel we had the best time, the staff was amazingly nice and helpful the rooms were nice (of course during our vacation we were outside enjoying the sun and activities available at the hotel not staring at the curtains and the floor) and about ants and bugs yeah there were a bit of them but its the same in every hot country. The food was great, there was a 24 hour pizza bar which was amazing and 3 different restaurants. The cleaning staff did a very good job, the entertainment staff was the friendliest people I have ever met, night shows were extraordinary and we even had a Olympics on the beach. They provided us with many activities for eveyone such as aerobics in the pool diferent games, spanish lessons and Merengue lessons....we were never bored. We came back home with a bunch of pictures good memories and an idea of how poeple live over there....one thing is for sure, we were not ready to come back home 7 days was too short, and we would deffinitly go again. Nothing to complain about......

Had an excellent time!

Myself and my boyfriend and another couple went to Puerto Plata Village from March 9-16, 2004. It was my very first vacation out of Canada. The weather was fantastic, no snow anywhere (just kidding!) I loved the sound of the crickets at night and the birds singing in the morning.
The staff at this resort are wonderful! Everyone is happy and greet you with a smile. The gardens are beautiful and will tended, the flowers were wonderful to see when you leave winter behind at home (six feet of snow). The food was really good, omelets made right in front of you, or scrambled eggs, french toast, sausages, juice, coffee, or tea. We ate our lunches at the beach, always good food, I loved the fresh pineapple and cantaloupe, had it with every meal. The bartenders at all the bars were very friendly, especially the pool bar. I enjoyed the Banana Mamas, the Millenium shooters (ask for one, the bartender lights it up for you), and the Zambooka. My boyfriend enjoyed the Cuba Libra and the shooter as well. The cervesa was good. Tip the bartenders and you get a glass glass instead of a plastic one. Also, they are very attentive when you have finished your drink, very quick to offer another one. The pool was great for swimmin around and relaxing. The beach was beautiful, just had to get there early to reserve a cabana for shade in the afternoon sun.we usually left the beach around 2 o'clock and headed back to the resort using the shuttle which was very prompt every few minutes you could catch one of them. We spent the afternoons at the pool bar, we used all three of our reservation at the Italian, Mexican and International Restaurants, the meals were quite good the waiters and waitressed were very attentive, your wine glass never emptied. The nightly shows and entertainment were very good, very talented dancers!
The disco was very enjoyable. The room was very clean, tip the maid on your first day and you will receive face cloths, bottle of water, and a fresh flower laid on the towels in your washroom. There are some inclusive activities, the banana boat ride behind the speed boat, our friends did that one, be sure to wear lots of sunscreen as the sun is extremely hot reflecting off of the water, also you can us the kayaks for free (included). Make sure you read the information package you receive in your room. The buffet food was good as well, I enjoyed the variety. Overall the trip was quite delightful. The last day however I got hit with diarreha, but we had brought some Pepto Bismal so that took care of it. I recommend you bring some with you. I am planning on returning next year as I now know what to expect. It is a very safe place, only a 5% crime rate. The pizza was great as well, 24 hours. We met several very nice people there from Canada and other places. A vacation worth what you paid for!

Wonderful.....don't know where to begin

by TripAdvisor Member WeLoveOceans

April 2004 Puerto Plata Village Resort

Don't know where to begin & can't say enough about this resort.

It deserves a higher rating than 3+ in our opinion, after having travelled to Mexico (3 times), Cuba & Colombia. Here we felt very comfortable, happy, healthy, safe and well taken care of. It was also nice to see so many families from the U.K. & Europe at this resort. However, I am fluent in Spanish and was very disgusted with the way that the wealthier DOMINICAN REPUBLICAN TOURISTS treated the employees at this resort. No one deserves to be spoken to in such a degrading manner! (I plan to forward this particular comment to a Spanish Resort Review when I find one.) All of the staff at PPV were extremely hospitable and truly helped to make our 2 weeks there so enjoyable.

The grounds are like a botanical garden with every flower imaginable, all maintained impeccably. The beach is beautiful, calm most days, clean & endless. The vendors were no problem, the walk is short & shuttle service excellent. We had also realised that this resort has double the beach front property, as part of it is beside the golf course. We enjoyed the extra space compared to the other resorts where the guests appeared to be a bit congested on the beach. What we did not like at the beach was the guests staying at this resort who didn't know how to use a garbage can. They left their plastic glasses & cigarette butts wherever they had been sitting that day. The staff worked hard to keep everything very clean.

The food in the main buffet restaurant was excellent with a good variety & very tasty . I can't imagine anyone having a negative comment at all, as there was everything that you could think of, all fresh & well prepared. I truly loved every meal & looked forward to dining there everyday. I also tried & enjoyed some of their traditional foods, soups (the best), and the desserts were fabulous...... Senor Bernardino and the staff went out of their way to make a Birthday cake for my husband and it was muy delicioso! Although we did try all of the al la carte's and did like the international the most, we preferred the main restaurant buffet overall, as well as the beach grill for lunch. Speaking of dining, we were also appalled at the guests who piled so much food on their plates and then left most of it . A real crime, when globally there is so much poverty and then you walk through the restaurant and see plates upon plates of bacon, bread ,eggs, juices, etc. being thrown into the garbage. Tourists Truly Lacking Manners & Etiquette.

The room........pay the extra at home through your travel agent & book a room with a veranda/balcony. You will save a lot of money, as they wanted $20.00 U.S. per night at the hotel for a room with a balcony. If you book a standard room do not accept the one across from the main hotel/reception. They put us there at first, even though the hotel was not fully booked & later we saw that this were they store everyone's luggage at check-out when the room is not in use. We were able to move to a room further away from the front reception and the difference was like night and day. It was beautiful, clean, bright, hot water, water pressure, air -conditioner that was quiet, plenty of towels, & with a nice balcony. My comments regarding another person's resort review submission re: toiletries......very petty - this is why "travel size" was invented. The hotel supplies soap and towels. It is not a big deal to bring your own shampoo etc.

Tours - go to the Mall, shop around and book there in order to save yourself $20.00 - $30.00 U.S. It is exactly the same tour as you can book through the hotel, but the hotel adds on their commission. We did not go on any tours. Transportation to town - if you take a taxi from the Resort it is about $10.00 U.S. If you walk down the road and turn left (opposite way of going to the beach) and continue out of the Playa Dorada Complex main gate you may catch a bus for 10 pesos.

If you have extra space in you luggage and are under your weight restriction why don't you bring children's used clothing with you. I got some summer clothing from the March of Dimes/Salvation Army and brought it with us. I gave it to Melissa who works in the main reception as the guest services manager. She was able to pass it on to an orphanage. Or after staying at the resort & getting to know the staff you may decide that you want to give them something. The only thing is that you will have to write a note stating your name, room number and the name of the person that you are giving it to (for security reasons I guess). Also, if you plan to do any future travelling, you don't have to spend a lot of money. You can "shop all year round" by purchasing things after season i.e. buy hard candy after Halloween. They appreciate everything. I do this every time that I travel. In fact, I can bring more as I now have a husband who helps to carry my luggage..... and he also made this trip so wonderful .

These reviews are just a wee bit exaggerated....

I just want to start off by saying that this review I am about to write, is the honest to god truth about this resort. Before booking this trip, I read reviews upon reviews and rarely did I come across one that said bad things about this resort, so naturally I figured this place had to be amazing. That's where I was wrong. It wasn't anything more than an average 3 star hotel. Nothing spectacular about it, except for maybe the fact that it is immaculate. Now, we just got back about an hour ago, so the resort is still very fresh in my mind.

Flight: We flew (4 in total) with Skyservice and I can tell you right now that I will never fly with them again. I am a pretty tall girl and the leg room is almost nill. Even the short ones had trouble getting comfy. The stewardesses are not that friendly and you have to pay for your beverages. Oh and don't expect to get a hot meal like you would on Air Transat or Air Canada.

Check in: As everyone knows, check out is 1pm and check in is 3pm. We arrived at the hotel at about 11am, so we were prepared to have to wander around with our luggage until our room was ready. Short but sweet..we didn't get our room until almost 4:30pm. Needless to say, I was VERY sore about that.

Grounds: I have to say, the best thing about the resort is how clean it is. As all of these reviews say, there is always someone cleaning something, which is true. The staff are lovely...I did not come across one rude person during my stay, which was nice.

Buffet/Resturants: Okay, now this is the TRUTH about the buffet. It SUCKS!! The food is edible, don't get me wrong, but there is no selection what so ever. They have a huge salad bar with things that you won't even touch, but when it comes to the hot food, they only have 4 things to choose from. And if you're bringing kids, you'll laugh at the kids section. One night for the kids they had cut up hotdogs, POPCORN?!? and nachos that looked burnt. I wouldn't even touch this, let alone a kid. I must admit, the chicken wings that they sometimes serve are very tasty. The beach grill is very good for lunch...try and have lunch there instead of the buffet. We only got around to the International and the Mexican a la carte. DO NOT order the steak at the internationl...it is probably the cheapest meat you could ever find.
EVER! I had the Chicken Cordon Blue, which was good. And the Tex Mex was very tasty...I ordered the Tortilla Soup as other reviews suggest, and it was very good. But warning, if you don't like salty things or salt isn't good for your diet, don't eat this soup, because it is extremely salty. Chicken fajitas are amazing, but my stomach started to hurt after I ate it, but we all ate that and it was just my stomach that hurt, so I can't say that it was the fajitas. The snack bar...hmmm let me tell you...unless you like orange hot dogs and goat cheese on your pizza, you'll love this place. lol. Oh yeah, and for the a la cartes, you can only book for the one you want that morning between 8am-10am. Get there at 8am, b/c they book fast!

Rooms: Well, besides the fact that we got our rooms late, they are average. They do not have a full bathroom, so girls, bring a hairdryer if you need one. We were in building 12, and the only time we got hot water was if you took a shower at 6am...no joke!!! And some ppl we met were staying in another building and all they got was hot hot water...
Also, we had a bit of an ant infestation. So DO NOT leave any open food lying around...or they will eat it before you do!! Mind you when we did complain they had someone go right to our room and spray it, but that only kept them away for a day or so. It wasn't only our room either...it was pretty much the whole floor. (we were on the 2nd).
Besides that, the rooms are average, considering you're only there to sleep.

Beach/Weather: It's your typical tropical beach...water was gorgeous, sand hot hot hot, and beach vendors as well, but a simple "no thank you" is good enough, they will leave you alone. The weather was AMAZING!! We only had one night of rain and it only rained (and I mean rained) for about 20 min but the days were gorgeous and hot.

Excursions: We did two excursions. First we went on the Paradise Island excursion, which I definatly recommend...Make sure to book this from the vendor on the beach...not in town. They will rob you in town. They were charging $79US in town, but on the beach only $45US. The bus ride is long but worth it, then they take you on a boat to this remote island in the middle of the ocean...it looks like someone just dumped some sand in the middle of the ocean...the water is crystal clear and they take you snorkeling...it will take up your whole day so prepare for that. So worth it. We also went on the cable car up the mountain.
Breathtaking, absolutly breathtaking. WARNING: You will be accompanied by one or two ppl who work there, and they will take you on a tour of the top of the mountain. We started to follow the guy and after the tour was over he tried to charge us 20 U.S. each!!! He didn't tell us that we had to pay for this tour, there were no signs, he just basically tried to scam us...key word here is "tried" we gave him 120 pesos and said take it or leave it. So I suggest (unless you like throwing your money in the garbage) that you just wander around alone.
DO NOT let anyone tour you, just do it yourself, there are paths that lead you from point A to point B, so you can't get lost. But I do recommend this excursion as well.

Overall: Well, I have to say that I would not return to Puerto Plata Village, but I would recommend it if the price was right. We got a really good deal, so I really can't complain (I just had to a bit) I just wanted to get away and relax, so that's pretty much what it's good for.

If you have any questions or comments about my review please email me.
jen2069ca@yahoo.ca Also, if you would like to see my personal pictures email me aswell.

Wonderful Vacaton

by TripAdvisor Member beachgirlLondon

I just came back from a wonderful relaxing vacation at PPV. It is a charming hotel with wonderful happy staff.
Checking in was effecient and the staff were very courtious and always had beautiful smiles.
My favourite spot was the beach. It is by far the nicest spot on the complex beach area. Everyday they would serve a beach barbecue with wonderful tasting chicken, meats salads and lots of fruit.
The rooms were quite comfortable, nice large bathrooms and great air-conditioning.
You really didnt lack for anything.
The entertainment at night needed improvement but the Activity Staff work long hours.
A suggestion would be to have a live house band playing for after dinner for the guest to sit and enjoy the outdoors and music. I have been to quite a few resorts who had this and it was really enjoyable.
The resort is very clean and the grounds are beautiful.
The buffet was great, something for everyone.
The Italian was awesome and great service and so was the International Reataurant.
They had water coolers situated in different spots of the Village which was very convenient for water drinkers
I would certainly return again. Great value for your money.
Adio's to Puerta Plata Village until next time.

Village in puerto plata

by domrep2ndhme

"Local Village"

Whilst on my trip to puerto plata village we visted a local village and found it to be such an eye opener and a great experience of the life in the dominican Republic.

I have loads of pictures however. the trouble of picking the best as they are all fab

Forgot the name but they're cuteForgot the name but they're cute

BaseballBaseball