Sun Village Resort & Spa Cofresi

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 27% less than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Sun Village Resort & Spa Cofresi

EMI Sun Village

We just returned home last night and I wanted to write this while it was still fresh. There were 4 in my party-hubbie, daughter (5), niece (18) and myself. We arrived at POP (Puerta Plata Airport) around 2pm on Friday April 4th. I found the little band to greet you pleasant. The customs agents were nice and spoke English well. The Sun Village Representative that met us was Jaime. He was fabulous. He took care of our luggage and offered us beverages. As we were driving to the resort, he gave us info about the Dominican Republic and it's people. We arrived at the resort and I was taken away. Truly Breathtaking. The check-in was painless (15 mins. tops). Jaime gave us a brief tour around the first 1/4 of the resort and took us to our room. We booked the Deluxe. I was alittle disappointed that we didn't have an ocean view, but soon learned that few had the view, after all, it was constructed on a hill. Those of you that travel with strollers,walkers, any type of mobility device--DO NOT STAY HERE--There are no elevators or ramps. Parents, throw your baby on your hip and go, Don't waste your time tag teaming the stroller. THERE ARE TOO MANY STAIRS TO DO THAT. The resort in itself was beautiful. The grounds were well maintained and everyone was very friendly, outside the buffet. The service staff inside the buffet were not that good. Most of the time,instead of waiting 10 mins for drinks, I would just go get them myself. Also, there are no servers anywhere except in the restaurants. You must get your drinks yourself. Which keeps you from getting lazy and fat. The food was okay, not bad for mass production. We ate at the Thai Restaurant and it was delicious. Jason and the entertainment staff were just great. The last night we were there, we told him he looked just like Steve Irkel (Family Matters) and that boy left, changed his clothes, threw on glasses...All I could say was "Boy, you could be his double." The cameras were flashing. He truly enjoyed his job. The girls in Kids Club were wondern the club, but remembered her none the less. The Mini Disco at 8:30pm was cute. My daughter really looked forward to it every night. The beach shops are okay as well, I haggled them down tremendously for sterling silver bracelets, so don't just walk out, you can get a great deal. HERE'S SOME ADVISE....TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOUSE CLEANING STAFF....THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU...We brought candy and chocolates from home and left a US $5 along with a pack of smokes every day---We had lots of extra towels and water...THANKS TO JUANA...All in all, it was a great relaxing trip with no problems...Breathtaking scenery....Really nice...Email with questions...Flytheskies

Sun Village in Puerto Plata

by ArenJo about Sun Village

I would not recommend this place. Although it is right on the beach, with 7 swimming pools and around 5 restaurants, you had to walk forever to get where you wanted to be on the resort. A lot of times I would go out to eat, only to find out that the restaurant I wanted to eat at was closed, then I'd have to walk up and down stairs for another 15 minutes. Also, many of the staff were not friendly or accomodating. It was also out in the middle of nowhere, so to get to Puerto Plata, you would have to hire a taxi.

Sun Village in Puerto Plata

by jodssmile about Inclusive Hotel

Friendly staff. Saw some other hotels in area, this one does appear newer, cleaner and more beautiful. The only downfall is the nightlife and entertainment is poor.
Food is good.
Expect some ants in each room, but they were not a big problem, more of small nuisance.
Nice beachfront area.
They will try to sell you some shares, not hard sell. Just see presentation.
Rooms had iron, board, coffee maker and much needed umbrella. Bed comfortable.
Air conditioner and fan and deluxe room has own balcony with 2 chairs.Hotel offers only bottled water and ice-do not drink tap water.
I just put more pictures under an album travelogue for more shots of this resort- for those who are looking at hotels. Many pools were being cleaned often.
Has kid pool.
Ocean is clean. But some glass always floats in and occasion rocks are sharp, wear watershoes.
Men have to wear pants only to one nighttime supper club. Pack one pair for week is more than enough. Otherwise, think beach and shorts.

Great chicken!

by ArenJo about Provocon 4to

Many tourists eat here since it isn't too far from the Sun Village resort. The food is great and very cheap as well.
By the way, if you like chicken breast like me, in Spanish you ask for "bechuga de pollo." Thought I might help someone else avoid the embarrassment I had in asking for the part of the chicken I wanted.
By the way, if you were wondering, the little villages nearby may look a little shady but I have made many friends there. The people have been extremely friendly to me. And the children LOVE it if you bring them some toys (but expect a crowd if you hand even one out).

Wonderful Time

My Niece and I enjoyed a wonderful week at Sun Village, Feb 24-Mar 1/03. The resort is beautiful, spacious..and the people that work there are wonderful. We loved the food, entertainment was great. Room was okay, and we did not have any bugs etc in the room at all. There is alot of stairs, but its not bad to climb them, for strollers and the elderley they may have trouble...but besides that you get use to them. The pools are beautiful and so many, the beach is okay,,,the water is great..We went to the disco next resort..every nite and had a great time...Joel, Israel, Coca Cola etc. were all so nice,,and so talented. We recommend this resort for any age....you will love it...The only complaint..was they didnt leave face cloths in the room...you had to ask for them daily..... We will definitley be going back to this resort next year!!

Not great, not horrible

A friend and I went to Sun Village for a few relaxing days in the sun. I was somewhat impressed with the facilities, but they did have their problems. The pools are absolutely gorgeous and very plentiful. We would go from pool to pool depending on what we were looking for. We stayed in a two bedroom suite which was worth the additional money as it was very spacious, had water, beer, rum and soft drinks replenished daily and had a private pool. With all of that said - the service here is not very good. They do not give you much of an overview of the place - where the restaurants are, how to make reservations, etc. The map they gave us was not very clear and even outdated. We had a hard time getting our bearings. The beach was so-so. It wasn't private, but there were resort people making sure others didn't wander onto the property. I do have to echo the others who have mentioned that everyone wants tips. It was a bit annoying at times. The food was edible, but not great. A lot of the restaurants were closed when we were there. This is a great place for the value if all you want to do is lay around a pool and beach for a few days, but I wouldn't go here expecting a lot of activities or anything.

Awesome Everything!

Hola!! i would like to take this time to say that Sun Village Beach resort is an awesome place. Their staff in particular were just fabulous!! Hi to my favorite bartenders Gabriel! and Santo! Hi also to Spaghetti Legs!! who did a great job at the volleyball games and aqua aerobics.Gracias for the awesome CD with all the great latinos and meringue music. And Marseille, thanks for teaching Diane and I the Latinos dance. It's a very fun dance!! Also, want to recommend the staff who worked so hard on providing great entertainment..The shows were awesome!! Hi! to Joel and good luck in your studies. I would also like to mention that the food was great! I would highly recommend this to anyone.Maybe not to seniors because of the stairs . I didn't mind them as it only did good for my legs and butt, thanks!.I was there from March 6th to March 13th with my friend Diana and I'm still talking about my trip to everyone..we were both very sad to leave. If the price is right, I plan on returning there this summer...I can't wait until march again. I also want to say hi to the concierge Greg. and thanks for all your help!!We had a blast at La Barrica.. Well, that's all I have to say for now...Salut! Miss Meringue, Kim :)

Don't waste your money

Where do I start? Sleeping Accomodations: We had a suite. The floors were filthy, the air conditioning was hardly cooling the room. The walls are paper thin, so you can hear the loud music at night through the walls (a couple we met had to change their room because it was so loud their kids coulnd't sleep). The countertops, bathrooms and bedroom were full of ants. The resorts answer to this is "its normal".Food: You basically have a choice of the buffet or one of the four restaurants (Mexican, Thai, Carribean or Ovandos - which doesn't allow children so we didn't go). We tried the other 3. The Thai restaurant was OK. The other 2 weren't good. The buffet is the only place where you have a shot at any food for the kids. Since its a buffet its all cheap type ingredients but its you best bet. Also, you have to make reservations in the morning from 9-12 for the restaurants near the Dolphin pool area. The person who takes the reservation is the same person who organizes the tours. One morning we were 15 angry people waiting on line because the family in front of us were going over the different tours offered.Getting Around: Since the resort backs up to a mountain, the resort is in layers. One of 3 pool areas are on the bottom. The rec center is up one level. The second pool area is up another level, then the restauarants and then the last pool level. The rooms are scattered at different levels. It's very difficult to get around with young children and a stroller. The resort is not enclosed or isolated. The main town roads run through it. because of this they have night security guards on the roads.Activities: Not much. Because there wern't alot of people at the resort, most of the activities were cancelled. The rec center has 3 pool tables and a ping pong table. The pool tables were all scratched up and the pool sticks were all broke. Do not leave you kids in the daycare. There is one person stationed there and sits all days and watched TV. We sat near the daycare because its next to the kiddy pool. The counselor came out of the daycare and went upstairs, leaving 3 childrens alone. one of them came outside and started walking away. I took him back inside until she got back. At night they have a disco hour for the kids in the theatre. Since the resort was empty, there were only around 25 people there. The people running the show looked bored and looked like they would rather be anywhere else but there (do you blmae them).Pools: The pools are nice put on different levels. The dolphin pool is pathetic. Its a regular square pool with a small tikki bar on the end. The upper pools are nicer. they have a waterfall for the kids. the kids are not allowed in the upper pool even if you want to take them yourself.Misc: If you go, there is an offsite that offers swimming with the dolphins. A bit expensive, but worth it. The beach was OK. The Punta Cana beach side of DR is nicer.The EMI employee (the company that runs Sun Village Beach Resort) who wrote the previous review must of been at a different resort. If you want to try a nicer side of the DR go to Punta Cana. Some of the nice resorts are Bavarro, Melia Tropical etc). I think that anyone who goes on vacation should be pretty assured that its going to turn out alright. If you don't have children, maybe take a gamble. If you do have children, stay away!

Not for families with small children

by TripAdvisor Member macmish

We came home just 4 days ago and we are now all suffering with stomach viruses. This resort is not meant for families with small children. The steps are brutal, especially with a stroller. Because everything is on levels the actual swimming areas are small and very spread out through the complex. There were many times it was just my family in the pool and it was very isolating. The kids club was not at all as advertised. There was a girl in a room with little tykes toys that barely interacted with the kids. I didn't leave my children there unsupervised. The staff was very nice and the language barrier was not too bad. The so called children's events that are scheduled I didn't see take place one of the 7 days I was there. Yes, there were roaches, ants and a tarantula outside our room. I called the main desk 3 times about the ants and nothing was done. When I unpacked there were ants on some of the clothing even after my husband and I shook out every piece of clothing and luggage out before we packed to come home. The food was pretty awful. Breakfast was about the best meal and the Thai restaurant was good because it was more like a Chinese restaurant here. My children lived on Pizza and watermelon. The soda is disgusting from tap so I barely drank at all. The place is beautiful for the most part, but there are many unpaved roads in the complex and one road is main road with local traffic and access to the beach for locals. On the weekend a lot of locals were on the beach. My children both got a rash from the beach water. Also there is a section of the hotel right before the dolphin pool that stinks of sewage. It just wasn't what I expected. If you have never been to an all-inclusive or the Carribbean you will think it is great, but if you have choose another resort. There is a reason why this resort is so inexpensive. Believe me they are hurting for guests.

Dominican Republic-Puerto Plata

by jodssmile

"A different world,yet beautiful"

Friendly local people in Puerto Plata-relaxed and slow. But when they get on their roads-drive like crazy!
Love their mopeds/motorcycles (which are their taxi's). In DR the more people on a motorcycle, the better.
Found locals from Puerto Plata, Sosua, and northern coast are very friendly and happy.
The visitors we met (more well to do, not poor though) from Santo Domingo with "New York like" colder/rude attitudes.
Play in ocean, bargain in town for souvenirs, just watch the town go by, hang out at resort, boogie board, visit Amber Museum and Fort Felipe, or Isabella de Torres Mountain, Brugal rum factory.
Take a tour or venture out on your own, any knowledge of Spanish helps a ton!
Bring school supplies for the kids, drink a ton of rum ( or Presidentes), buy cigars.
Biggest thing-plan ahead and your trip will be awesome.
Stay away from the water.
Bring U.S. dollars, of course they take them. Travelor checks a pain in the neck, they don't give you the true exchange rate and if exchange-DO NOT do at your rip-off hotel rate with fee. Bring many one U.S. dollars bills for tips if stay at Inclusive Hotel. Tip your maid more, she doesn't get paid well, and she will appreciate it way more than anyone could!
Pack light, bring umbrella when you go out in evenings even when looks clear. Rain never lasts long.
Stayed at Sun Village in Puerto Plata. Beautiful resort but not much for nighttime entertainment. Ants will be in each room, but not that big of deal not to stay here.
Don't forget the sunblock, every crowd had many badly sunburned people that tried to tan without the sunblock-find sweatproof and waterproof. Used 45 and worked great!
Took 2 tours in 7 days there, just right amount. Took Outback Jungle Safari-major awesome. Then Prieto Tours-not cool.
Heard Domincian Joes good but less than Outback. Joes tour had more snorkeling. Expect to be bothered by peddlers, part of life here. Make less eye contact and say "no necesito" and they will leave. If they get pushy tell them you don't like what they are selling " no me gusta" and the pushier ones will go away.
Keep eye on money and passport in town.
Pack a pen for the airport arrival, or you will stand in line with the others waiting for the one pen the airport has to fill out the whole planes tourist cards.
Let the locals drive, it is crazy.Yes those 2 lanes are really four. No they don't care if they pass when car is coming head on.
Potholes are big.
May have to have exact US dollars departue tax on way out of country.Lush green beautiful country,locals happy, friendly.

Had a blast! It is a contagious place- (no not talking about the high HIV rate). Once you go here, you want to come back again and again......

EMI Sun Village pool areasEMI Sun Village pool areas

sun village resort and spar cofresi beach

by nickiscorpio

hiya
we are going next june , and i am just wondering, what cocktails are offered there and if they are good, do they do frozen daqueris?? and mojitos, our fave drinks.
also can anyone recoment a block or room numbers that are fairly close to the bars and restaurants without too many stairs, i can cope with stairs but have asthma so would be nice to be near things.

any nice local rstaurants nearby

many thanks nicki

RE: sun village resort and spar cofresi beach

by MACKEYGIRL

Hello! I was at Sun Village last November. The resort was absolutely beautiful, but you should know that there are a TON of stairs because the resort itself is built on the side of a mountain. The lobby and main restaurant are at the top of the resort, and the ocean is at the bottom...My cousin and I counted 89 stairs from our room to the main restaurant and the lobby, and that amount of stairs was common in terms of distance from most of the rooms and the restaurant. I absolutely suggest you contact them in advance, and tell them about your asthma so that they make absolute sure that you are closer to the top of the resort.

Hope this helps!

RE: sun village resort and spar cofresi beach

by MACKEYGIRL

Sorry - forgot to comment on your question about the drinks. The cocktails are great, and I had some Mojitos while I was there, so they definitely make them. I don't recall seeing any daquiri-type drinks, but it could be because I personally didn't request that they make them.
I didn't have the chance to visit many outside restaurants, but just down the beach a few hundred yards is Teddy's Barbecue Restaurant (that isn't the exact name, but it was something like that) and it was rumoured to have fantastic food. The A La Carte restaurants on the resort (I believe there were four) were all fantastic....

Sun Village Beach Resort

by pjoyce

Hello, my wife and I are staying at this resort from Febuary 26th to March 2nd. Any info on anybody staying there, ie food, drink, amenities. Also anything special happening that week.

Thanks

by acohiba

February 27th is Dominican Independence Day and there will be something going on for sure that night. Usually they celebrate all week long after Independence Day.

by xcrunna

I'm headed down to this resort at the end of March. Could you let me know how you enjoyed the resort when you get back, and if there are any problems i should look out for. Did you book this vacation with vacation travel mart? Their website makes this place look amazing.

by mward27

I am going at the end of March and would really like to know what you think about your trip. Thanks.

Re: Re: Sun Village Beach Resort

by LIsaanne

Hey Guys, I'm going to this resort at the end or April, please let me know how it is, you're right - the web page looks amazing!!!

by di57

Hi
My husband and I stayed there Nov 2003 and loved it. However we read bad reveiws before we went and I am still reading bad reports about the resort now. While we were there the main buffet restaurant burnt down but has now been rebuilt and sounds better than ever. We are going again at the end of April and we are really looking forward to it. There are alot of steps because the sprawling complex is built on a hillside but the brochures do warn of this. At least the British ones do, (loads of the bad reviews complain about the steps!) We thought that the food was good and considering the inconvenience of the fire, the staff and management did well to maintain high standards.
Presumably you have seen the website which gives a fair indication of the resort. The address is www.sunvillageresortandspa.com
This time I am going to oceanworld which is just down the road to swim with dolphins.
I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.
regards Di

sun village in puerto plata food

by joanmd

I am allergic to chicken, carrots, and so would need a place with good food that wasn't that. I eat pasta, pizza, hamburger, steak, cheese quesadillas, fajitas steak not chicken. Does anyone know about the food in this hotel. What food is good of the type I like, which place is it, a la carte, which restaurant is it in, also. What do you advise us also we have 3 people have to have a standard room due to prices, is it 2 double beds. What is an honest opinion of this place
ownyourjob@yahoo.com

RE: sun village in puerto plata food

by jodssmile

When we left last October, they were rearranging their food areas some.

They had a restaurant called Coconuts,no reservation needed. Just walk in whenever want. Serves buffet food for breakfast, lunch, or supper.They had eggs, waffles, pastries, rolls, and very much to choose from for breakfast. The meals were somewhat repitious at times, but they had much selection.

Ovandos, at lunch just walk in.But in evening need to have reseration(make with conceirge in am). There lunch menu very limited. But supper yummy! They did have a steak meal. Not you top steak, but good for 3rd world country. If you can remember where you are, their food is good.My husband did get fish here.This is only restaurant that ever requires dress code (during evening only) and is not strict. Just men wear pants.No shorts for anyone.Not that fancy dress, I wore skirt and was fine.

The beach hut that serves anyone anytime food of hamburgers, nachos, french fries turns into Thai food at evening. Beach hut all day, just come and ask bartender to cook you up hot dog;hamburger, nachos out. But in evening(6 pm or 8 pm meal choices) you need to make reservation. I do remember more chicken in this one during supper.

Mexican food.
Best to eat here latest meal, can be hot hut at 6pm seating. THis just for evening meal.
I am very picky eater. ANywhere in DR, you must remember you ARE in 3rd world country. So quality is different. Plus, they do prepare some foods differet and never as good as home. Nonetheless, for DR I think they did good job.
I put some picks of the hotel on my homepage, under EMI album
Jo